Freedom - Wave Rider - How long will lines be?

The wave rider definately looks awesome. My only question is that Freedom will be the largest ship out there and also have the most passengers so how long would the lines be? You would assume only one person could be on the wave rider at a time for safety reasons. On the rock climbing walls on other large RCI ships the lines can be 30 minutes or more and more than one person can climb at a time. I am thinking possibly an hour or more wait. Also, there will probably be some sort of age restriction to this attraction. What are your thoughts or is there any other information about this anywhere?

There are going to be line-ups, and during the busy cruise season in the summer and Christmas and spring breaks etc. It is the type of attraction that not all can take part in, older folks are more inclined to watch than try, we always sail during off season times when there are not so many kids on board so we don't find that the line-ups for the rock wall are very long. During the summer months when there are 500 kids on board it will be very busy.

Happy Cruising

Brian J

We are going on the Freedom on 10/29/06. I have done this attraction at Kings Island in Ohio its a blast. You will be very surprised how fast this ride will go. Its not as easy as it looks I would say the majority will be done within 30 seconds while some may be very good at it and may ride for 5 minutes. My son became quite good after an hour of 30 second rides. He did barrel roles surfed on his knees and stood up. It should be very fun well worth the wait.

Hi:

Everyone going before me, please post a detailed review when you get back. We're not going until New Years Eve on the Freedom. Really looking forward to NY Eve on this ship....it should be something.

Happy Cruising....Sparkle 10;)

This is one of those things like the ice rink. I never even saw the ice rink on Mariner, don't have any idea what it looks like. It held no appeal to me so I didn't even try to get in. The flow rider is a neat attraction, but it's like WDW, I wouldn't wait 5 minutes to get on it, but that's just me. Fortunately, since the ship is so big, maybe they will try an assignment system like someone else suggested, although the easiest way to keep people from just continually riding it would be to charge.

I thought there would be long lines for the rock wall but we walked right up (late in the week) and climbed. I would guess that many people will not even consider the wave rider. The way they do the rock wall is they sign up a certain number of people at the start of each hour; they may do the wave rider the same way. I don't know why folks think they would start charging for this. They haven't started charging for min-golf, the rock wal, roller blading or ice skating. The fact is, these things are most popular at first so if there was to be a charge, it would be applied from the get-go, I think.

Spooky.... was just thinking of the very same question.

Well I hope they already have some sort of system worked out, otherwise it could be chaos. I think they will do a standered line system and see how that works, then see from there (i'd rather sign up in hour slots).

Or mabey they can staff it so its open 10 hours a day (on seas days) and mabey 5 hours on port. If its open so long, hopefully that should cut the lines down a bit.

Please excuse the spelling

We are going on the Freedom on 10/29/06. I have done this attraction at Kings Island in Ohio its a blast. You will be very surprised how fast this ride will go. Its not as easy as it looks I would say the majority will be done within 30 seconds while some may be very good at it and may ride for 5 minutes. My son became quite good after an hour of 30 second rides. He did barrel roles surfed on his knees and stood up. It should be very fun well worth the wait.

Want2gosailing2 We are also on the Oct.29th sailing of the FOS. and have a fun thread going,,We would like very much to have you join in.:D

Here is a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=6409840#post6409840

Happy Days,,,,,,,,Larry

Will be on Freedom next tuesday. If it's not too cold outside, I will give the wave rider a try. I won't probably last longer than a few seconds. Oh well, I'll probably try it anyway, I can warm up in the whirlpool afterwards.

Well, I think the lines will be very long. I've read many threads on this board from people complaining they couldn't climb the rock wall, either due to long lines or the hours of operation. Stay tuned, I'm sure the complaints about the "flow rider" will be "flowing" here very soon!

Its not as easy as it looks I would say the majority will be done within 30 seconds while some may be very good at it and may ride for 5 minutes.

I can't imagine standing line and waiting for a long time, only to get a 30 second ride and then watching someone else get 5 minutes. Many people will not be happy with that!

I expect it to be similar to the same type of attraction at our local waterpark. It tends to have more spectators then participants. Line does seem to move because most people can't stay on very long, those that can, more power to em, they are fun to watch. Ours also turns down once a person has reached a certain amount of time thus forcing them to the bottom so the next rider gets their shot.

Only time will tell......waiting to see the reviews.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Originally Posted by want2gosailing2

Its not as easy as it looks I would say the majority will be done within 30 seconds while some may be very good at it and may ride for 5 minutes.

Well the beauty of the attraction is the enginering. When you wipe out the water takes you to the top of the ride where you exit. To enter you are in the middle of the ride so the lines actually stay moving. Really the only time the line is not moving is when a person is riding. As far as waiting an hour for 30 seconds of ride it could happen. At Kings Island Water Park there were about 10 times the people that will be on this ship and I never waited an hour to ride. I don't think the complaints will be that bad but if you have no ballance or surfing skills its my guess those will be the persons complaing.

As far as a charge I was told by a travel agent that it was free and that the charges were false rumors. I guess we will have to wait a couple of weeks to find out. I also heard that the ship had a glass bottom lol

I just wanted to add it was my understanding that on port days ther ship drains everything with water due to the contaminations from other ships that are in the water so I don't think the wave rider will be going at port.

We went to a waterpark in the Dells over spring break this year and they had a flow rider... My BIL and nephew did it and thought it was great fun. The line was maybe 10-12 people long and the wait was about 40 minutes.... They did have 2 flowriders, side-by-side, each with its own line. It'll be interesting to hear everyones reports on Freedom's flowrider.

I agree, during peak season with kids/teens, it will be in higher demand because of how many people will want to be on this, however, the only alternitive to the line is not to have built one at all.

There are already so many complaints about this ship based on speculation, its not even funny!

How can anybody possibly know the answer to this question? I mean, the first cruise hasn't even left yet. Geez.

Nobody knows anything in this forum. However, speculation is pretty natural in my opinion. ;)

Thousands of passengers one surf pool, 2 or 3 sea days for a 7 day sailing. Lots of people to fit into a 10 hour period. Would seem to imply a line, therefore to speculate that the line will be short or long would seem to be what people do the best. :p

jc

There may be a line but it will depend to a degree on just how popular this attraction is with the general population on any particular sailing. I wouldn't even begin to guess what proportion of passengers will be interested in the Flowrider®, but I suspect that there will be more people onboard with little or no interest than people whose main purpose for booking the cruise was the surfing pool. Ships with pool slides frequently have lines and are usually open for very limited hours. I doubt many people have been so turned off by those lines that they have stopped sailing on those ships. Time will tell.

Archived