Traveling alone on a cruise

Princess311

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on crusing solo? I am 22 years old and I just went on a cruise in April, but some personal things have happened and I feel like I deserve to go on another one in August. I don't think anyone else will go with me. I don't have any qualms about traveling alone, but I do get nervous in airports and I'm not sure I want to be alone in the ports.

Any advice?

Thanks

Alicia

If you are open to sharing a cabin you can get assigned a roomie--nice thing is that most of the time it seems like that doesn't happen so you end up in a cabin on your own...or reserve your cruise through an agency that specializes in singles cruises...or the best one is to figure out when you want to go and see if there is a CC group on that cruise. You can end up posting online for a month or two before the cruise so you'll have friends on board. We met great CC people on our last cruise and we hope to cruise with them again. We also booked some excursions together so we had our own group in port...For the airport side of things, if you are flying out of a major city you are likely to be flying with other people from your area. We've met fellow cruisers on our flights.

Hi princess,

Your age says alot about your nervousness. I started travelling alone when I was 18, first to college then for business. The nervousness will go away once you are used to the routine. My general rule is to assume that everybody has good intentions. The evil people are the exceprions to the rule and are few and far between. Unexpecteed things will happen, just learn to go with the flow. Use common sense and stay out of dark strange places at night, and stay in areas where there are people around.

Pat yourself on the back for going solo.

Violet

Thanks for your quick responses and helpful advice. The first time I traveled alone, I went to the Dominican Republic and met my friends who were already down there. I have traveled alone before, just not spent a week by myself. I really think that would be good for me though. Do you think its too late to try to book a cruise for August 8th? Thats another thing that makes me nervous, but I have to go on the Golden. Any other ship is out of the question. :)

Thanks again,

Alicia

Hi Alicia - I'll bet if you to one of the many, many internet TA's who specialize in cruises, you can find a really good deal for the Golden on August 8th. Travelocity, Expedia, and Cruise.com are all very user friendly. Look around the boards and I think you'll find plenty of advice on TA's.

As far as being fearful of airports - they're among the safest places in the world these days with all the extra security. If what you're afraid of is getting lost or confused in the airport, smile very sweetly at the counter agent and just tell them you'd like some help. Most airlines are really good about stuff like that. (If you can manage to look even younger than you are, that will be a big help!;)

Once you get on board, I have no doubt you'll find plenty of others to hang out with. If all else fails, sign up for some of the Princess shore excursions. They're readymade groups!

Good luck - and let us know what you decide. Donia

Alicia,

Thanks for asking these questions!! I am 48 and have travelled alone but never done a cruise by myself. I love cruising and have thought about going solo but in the end have always found someone else to go with. But finding these fellow cruisers is getting harder and harder. So now you have me thinking about going it alone!!

THANKS!

Jamie

I always travel alone because I prefer my own cabin....... so its the cost for some.

At the airport waiting for your plane just sit with a family....say you are traveling alone,they understand...they always except me.

I go on the offshore excursions offered from Princess ,you are with persons from your own ship and Princess would not allow anyone to be on a tour with unethical tour persons...so you are safe.Mind you I sometimes stray a little which taking snaps...never far away....always feel safe.

On board Princess knows details about all their passengers so it is extra safe to wander around.

Princess warns passengers never to venture into restricted areas this includes employees personal off duty areas.That is very good advise.

One of the reasons why I cruise alone is because I feel so safe on board.I can be with people ,or I can be alone.

Really enjoy the dinner hours when on a table of 8 we all discuss the days happenings and have many a good laugh.

There is also a great disco on board where you can meet and greet with good music.

Don't feel nervous.Cruising with princess is very safe and they treat you,in your instance like their little Princess.

Thanks again for all of your advice. I really want to take the cruise by myself, but I am uneasy (still) about the San Juan port in Puerto Rico. If there was a way I could get to the airport and then right to the ship, then I would be happy. When I went to the Dominican on my own, there was a man there from my airline (Air Tran) that had a little sign with my name on it, like in the movies, ready to take me to where I was supposed to go. If there was a way I could arrange that for myself, I would go in a heartbeat. My parents seem pretty supportive (Hi Mom) but my mom is also uneasy about leaving from San Juan, because its another country and such. Has anyone else left from this port and have any information regarding its procedures, safety and such?

And is anyone else going on the August 8th sailing?!

Thanks soooooo much, you guys are awesome!

Alicia

Hi again, Alicia. Actually Puerto Rico is still the good ole USA - it's just a territory instead of a state. Why don't you book Princess transfers from the airport to the ship and back. They will meet you in the baggage claim area and take you from there. If you need help getting to baggage claim, take the excellent advice of whoever said to attach yourself to a traveling family - or maybe another (slightly older) woman. Good luck, Donia

I left for a cruise out of the San Juan airport, on Royal Caribbean. We had booked our own flight since it was cheaper so we didn't have the official transfers. It turned out to be the easiest thing. We got our luggage. So many people coming in are going to the cruise ships that they had a special kiosk set up. You just told the guy which ship you were going to and he gave you a slip of paper with the ship name and fare. Then you go outside to the official taxi line and a taxi attendant puts you on the next taxi, which delivers you right to the dock. It was $14 for the ride instead of $50 for the official RCCL transfer.

Alicia - You probably don't need any kind of documentation for Puerto Rico, but I would strongly suggest that you get a passport for visiting the other islands on your itinerary. You'll find very experienced cruisers here who are comfortable traveling with just a notarized birth certificate, but I always feel more secure with my passport - it is the world's most dependable form of ID. In most parts of the country, you can apply at your local post office or courthouse. It will cost about $50-$55, plus the cost of the photo, but it's good for a loooong time. You have plenty of time if you're aiming for 8 August - it should take about 30 days. But, don't delay! Special handling to get one faster is breathtakingly expensive! Good luck, Donia

I will be taking my very first trip alone this July on the Grand Princess. Instead of being scared; I'm so very excited. I put my doubts aside knowing that the flight over will be filled with cruisers and then the transfer from the airport to the ship is definitly catered to cruisers mostly, especially when flight is booked through the cruise trip. Then of course once on the ship, you're very safe. I have asked tons of questions about excursions because many suggest some are OK on your own. But, I decided I feel lots of security booking with the ship and then I know I am definitly surrounded with folks I can enjoy and not worry about a thing except have fun. Another note: my sister is going alone to Puerta Rico on a cruise in October and this is her second time alone. She's decided it's the only way to go now. She is going one night before the cruise so she can better enjoy the location. I agree with Donia, get a passport. Besides, some of the islands are now requiring passports. They're good for 10 years. Good Luck to you--Enjoy!!!!

Check with your travel agent or Princess about the need for a passport. If your ship goes to an island that requires a passport you will not be able to board the ship without it. There was a thread on the "old" board about Barbados starting to require passports soon. Good luck on traveling alone. I think you will be fine. When I was 22 (many many moons ago) I joined the Air Force Nurse Corps. Whenever I was in an airport in uniform I was asked for information as though I was a stewardess. LOL. Now if I could just get over my fear of flying.

you guys are awesome! I didn't expect this kind of response, but I should have, knowing what nice people are on these boards. you are really encouraging me to travel on my own and I appreciate it so much. I really want to go, the only thing holding me back is the $$$$.It's really pricey for one person, almost twice what I paid when I was on the Golden in April. I'm not sure what a singles supplement is exactly, but I've kind of figured it out. I thank you all again for your support and hopefully I'll be cruising in August!

Alicia

I almost always travel solo and love it. I went on the RCCL Adventure of the Seas last year out of San Juan. Stayed over night at the Hilton ($130) and took a cab to the dock the next day. I paid 150% of the rate for the single supplement. Princess charges 200% unless you get a last minute special. You should not worry so much Is there a reason why you have to travel on the Golden?

Remember that alot of people traveling as a couple hardly ever see each other except for meal times. Whenever I had lunch in the dining room, there were always singles there because their spouses where somewhere else. So many people travel together but rarely see each other.

When my sister travels alone, she always tells people that her husband is back in the room because she is embarrassed about being by herself. Some day she will break that bad habit.

Just book it and go. But do get a passport. You seem to have a set date and ship? Any particular reason? Just curious.

<<Is there a reason why you have to travel on the Golden? You seem to have a set date and ship? Any particular reason? Just curious.>>

My mom and I had a good laugh when we read this question. I chose the Golden because I loved the ship when we were on it in April of this year. I am the type of person that stays in their comfort zone and the Golden is definitely a place where I am comfortable. I got to know some of the staff members and it would be ideal for me to see them again. I know it is not guaranteed, but I loved cruising, being out on the ocean and being away from everything here in Rochester. I cried on the way home as we flew over the ships sailing away and my life here has not been the same since I got home.

Ok I've rambled enough. :)

Alicia

Alicia, I too have been considering travelling alone. The only worry I have is the cost!! If you figure out a way to get a good deal, please let me know!

I know exactly how you feel about returning to the Golden. I was on the same cruise you were in April!! As soon as I got home I started working on a return trip! I got my sister to come with me...we are going Sunday :D

My biggest problem right know is worrying about the super case of PCD I'm going to have coming back. I'm afraid it will be much worse than when I came home in April!!

I hope you can work it out to go...please keep me posted...I'd love to go alone!!

How about October ? We have a big group going on the Golden on the 24th, and your welcome to join us. There are at least 10 ladies in the group going solo. Varied ages, and having cruised with some of them before, I can assure you they like to party and will make you feel welcome. See our thread under Roll calls, Princess, Official Site ! Golden, Oct. 24th.

Are you going to San Janu the day your ship leaves. If yes, just buy a Princess transfer. When you land in San Jaun look for the Princess rep and hop on the bus. Yes, it is a little more expensive then grabbing a local taxi but you will be travelling with someone who is representing the ship and a bunch of your fellow cruise mates. Great place and time to start meeting people if you did not meet anyone on the plane over.

I travel alone now, I'm a widow and disabled. I have sat with families at airports, usually wife is around my age and people assume we are together. When I was in my early twenties I travelled by myself alot (military). Yes, fear is present at times but it also gives you a system that you can learn to trust. If someone is bothering you at an airport talk to security, they will tell him/her to not bother you. Go with your gut, most times your gut will not steer you wrong.

Go on ship excursions so they you have a ready made group. There are singles meets on the first night or first sea day. Go meet others who are travelling alone. Go to CC meeting. Participate in the pool games or other games.

Princess311,

Maybe you would like to join us in our Alaska cruise next year. The CC host Caroline is trying to put this together. I know there are at least 5 of us women travelling (albeit together), but you are more than welcome to be a part of the group for excursions and ship activities in the evening. Although we are a bit older than you (I have two sons older than you) you can be sure we will look out for you. Two of the ladies are single and the others are married traveling without husbands, truly a "girls" cruise and we will have a great time. Or better yet, have your Mom join you and both of you can be a part of the fun.

Jackie

Archived