SeaDream 1, San Juan, April 16-23 review.

Jim Avery

Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to all our SDers!

Just received a lovely email from Capt. T for my birthday ... I've already told DH we are doing the Med on SD for our birthdays:p

Looking forward to dinner later this week FT. We will miss seeing CTBJR the first week in June as well since he will off to the islands.

Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to all our SDers!

Just received a lovely email from Capt. T for my birthday ... I've already told DH we are doing the Med on SD for our birthdays:p

Looking forward to dinner later this week FT. We will miss seeing CTBJR the first week in June as well since he will off to the islands.

When is this proposed SD Med expedition, DJ?

We're sorry that we'll miss you guys in June but there is a house on the beach at Mahoe Bay on Virgin Gorda waiting for us. Glad you understand.

Not sure yet Ctbjr as I haven't really investigated ... so I will be open to suggestions.

My folks are making noise about Paul Gaugin as a family trip in Spring/Summer 2007 ... and I know FT is interested in that as well. I am guessting that I will need to increase my consultanting fees:p

Not sure yet Ctbjr as I haven't really investigated ... so I will be open to suggestions.

When are we talking about? Summer of 2007? Any particular month? We have nothing booked that far out but it's almost time to start thinking about doing so!!

Hey Jim! Great review! This is Kate of Kate and Pattie!

I have published my review on Cruise Critic and they approved it - it is here http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18272

Sure wish we onboard! I will look through all the replies and see if I recognize anyone by their posting.[/size][/font]

I can't wait to go back!:)

I'd like to reiterate Jim's kudos to the crew of the SDI. We sailed her the week of April 9th out of San Juan. It was an amazing trip and the crew was so attentive and enthusiastic. We really felt like we were living a dream.

The only problem we encountered, and I am a native Floridian with many boating hours under my belt, was some really rough seas. We had room 208 and some nights I thought I would roll out of bed. We had one at-sea day where we traveled from Jost Van Dyke to St. Barts in the late afternoon. The seas were so rough I was actually seasick. I noticed some other passengers were too. The only ones handling it well were those with the little patch behind their ears.

Luckily the ship's doctor has a variety of pills to cure the seasickness (coupled with a drink by the pool) and the phenagren supplied for the night time bouts truly puts you to sleep.

Point is, even if you think you don't need it, bring something for seasickness just in case. It's no skin off your back and will make the trip truly perfect.

Gee we were in 415 and didn't feel a thing!

Wonderful review, Jim. I was aware of the children issue that you experienced previously and had been holding my breath awaiting your review. Glad it worked out great.

Thanks for the good news that James will be returning at least for short periods of relief. That is great to hear.

I too concur with your reaction to the Sunday/Sunday scheduling. I have been noting my displeasure on guest questionnaires ever since they implemented this odd scheduling but as you can see our complaints seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

Originally, I believe that the concept of this Sunday scheduling was to allow couples to get married on Saturday and then get to the ship for Sunday departure. I don't know about anybody else out there but the number of people I have met who have taken advantage of this scheduling pales in comparison to the number of us who don't like it one bit. Of course, we keep coming back so it's not annoying enough to send us to the competition but it does take away from the experience to start back at work the very next day.

I was a bit apprehensive when we checked in and saw Minnie Mouse backpack stacked up with the bags awaiting to board. But all the kids were great (Jim has a wicked sense of humor!). We also lamented Sunday to Sunday because Monday morning came real hard! If anyone has questions on shore excursions I didn't really put in my review but I'd be happy to answer. One of our favorites (and free!) was the Pub Crawl on the bikes with Clive in St. Croix! What a fun way to start the trip and meet new friends!

Hey Jim! Great review! This is Kate of Kate and Pattie!

I have published my review on Cruise Critic and they approved it - it is here http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=18272

Sure wish we onboard! I will look through all the replies and see if I recognize anyone by their posting.[/size][/font]

I can't wait to go back!:)

Hi Kate:

Great to hear from you and read your review. I sure wish we were back aboard.. Have emailed Pattie and have seen the photos on her site. SD should hire you two as ship's photographers. Many great memories in that all too short week. Are trying to figure out the next one.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

we're looking at late July - early August.:)

FT

Although nobody has asked, I'll note that mid to late July would be perfect for us. Our children start school in early August (August 4, 2006 and likely August 3, 2007).

There's no time like the present to book a 2007 SD cruise. We booked our summer 2006 cruise over a year ago and the "best available fare" has since increased by $1,300 per person.

During the July-August, 2007 timeframe, on SD the choices appear to be pretty clear-cut: French/Italian Riviera on SD2 or the Venice/Athens or Athens/Istanbul itineraries on SD1. All are great in their own way but we certainly have our preference for 2007.

Hi Kate:

Great to hear from you and read your review. I sure wish we were back aboard.. Have emailed Pattie and have seen the photos on her site. SD should hire you two as ship's photographers. Many great memories in that all too short week. Are trying to figure out the next one.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

We did like to take pictures didn't we! Course Paul kept grabbing either one of our camera's (since their's got dropped the first day!) and took about 100 for us! I didn't send you a link to mine because I don't have your email. I'll get it from Pattie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Weecruiser:

PJ Party is much fun. When you arrive in your cabin, you will find SeaDream pajamas (t shirt type material, very comfy) with your first names embroidered on the tops. They are long pants and shirt so are modest. The party is usually at the Top of The Yacht after dinner one night. Lots of fun and you have your name on so it helps put names and faces together. In December 04, someone brought marker pens and we all started autographing each others tops. That top has great memories and will probably be framed at some point if I ever have a home with a suitable bar in it.

When are you going?

All the best.

Jim..

We depart end of next January, itin includes culebrita, esperanza, st. Barth's.

First for SeaDream. We loved RSSC on Paul Gaugin in Tahiti. This winter we sailed first time with SilverSea. Loved the itinerary, service, accomodations, food...missed the water deck of toys!

Thanks for the fun decription of PJ night! I will have sharpie in hand and keep the tradition going.

All the best, Joan

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Next up was Anguilla or "the eel" in Spanish for its shape. Basically a low flat island, we agreed that it could be one of our favorites. Relatively undeveloped by other islands standards, the locals were very friendly and seemed actually glad to see us, a change from some islands. This island is all about beaches and we took in the best at Shoal Bay East. This is a short cab ride from our anchorage in Sandy Ground which takes a turn through the central town. Look quickly or you will miss it. The beach at Shoal Bay is spectacular with some of the best sand seen yet. There are coral reefs just offshore for snorkeling and to keep the surf down. We rented an umbrella and chairs but never used them, the water was too appealing. A few Caribs and early sunburn later and its time to go home to the ship.

Tough day but tonight is Foxy's.

Captain Berg anchored the ship in Grand Bay, Jost Van Dyke about 9:00pm and we tendered ashore to Foxy's Bar. The quintessential Caribbean Beach bar was full of boaties and locals as well as a large contingent of SeaDreamers. All had a good time and enjoyed the music. One tip. If you want a Foxy's t shirt, go in the day time. They dont bother selling t shirts at night. Too busy with drinks.

The location at White Bay is beach bar picture perfect. We manage to go to One Love Bar just next door to "our" beach and down to the Soggy Dollar for what I have determined after extensive research to be the best Painkiller. Nutmeg is ground directly not shaken from a can. Cant go wrong here.

All the best.

Jim & Lois.

Jim;

Sounds like you had a great time, my wife and I are going on our first SD vacation in March. We are going to Anguilla, just wanted to make sure the best beach there was at Shoal Bay East? Second question is about Jost Van Dyke, does the yacht always allow you to go ashore the night before? It doesn't indicate this on our paper work. Last question, how far is it to Soggy Dollar from our location at White Bay?

Thanks in Advance & Good Sailing....

Randy

Jim;

Sounds like you had a great time, my wife and I are going on our first SD vacation in March. We are going to Anguilla, just wanted to make sure the best beach there was at Shoal Bay East? Second question is about Jost Van Dyke, does the yacht always allow you to go ashore the night before? It doesn't indicate this on our paper work. Last question, how far is it to Soggy Dollar from our location at White Bay?

Thanks in Advance & Good Sailing....

Randy

Hi Randy,

I'm not Jim but I can answer the Soggy Dollar question:D SD uses an area that is about three beach bars away from the Soggy Dollar. It is very close.

Jim will answer the rest in between his polishing his flip flops and finishing his packing:p

Raingauge:

Disney Jen is right. 3 bars down on the left. Takes about an hour to get there because its a rule you must stop at each one. Every time we have been to Jost, we have anchored the night before and tendered to Foxy's. What other cruise line tenders you to a beach bar??? In Anguilla, it was Shoal Bay East. Still one of the best beaches we have been to and a great bar/restaurant to boot. I am mostly ready Jen. Actually made a painkiller a few minutes ago while wearing my Soggy Dollar t shirt. Am I ready or what!!!!! I know we were just on board but Europe is totally different experiences than San Juan and the Virgin Islands. Nobody does it better.

Jim.

Raingauge:

Disney Jen is right. 3 bars down on the left. Takes about an hour to get there because its a rule you must stop at each one. Every time we have been to Jost, we have anchored the night before and tendered to Foxy's. What other cruise line tenders you to a beach bar??? In Anguilla, it was Shoal Bay East. Still one of the best beaches we have been to and a great bar/restaurant to boot. I am mostly ready Jen. Actually made a painkiller a few minutes ago while wearing my Soggy Dollar t shirt. Am I ready or what!!!!! I know we were just on board but Europe is totally different experiences than San Juan and the Virgin Islands. Nobody does it better.

Jim.

I agree 100 percent Jim that nobody does the Caribbean better than SD (We haven't done Europe on SD so I can't make a ruling:p).

SeaDreamers will find this funny ... I was looking for photos from our trip on HAL last month to include in our annual holiday insert for our cards. Every photo I have of DH in a casual setting he has his SeaDream cap on ... no not the new one that FT got for me to give him for Christmas ... the old one that I can't get him to part with:eek:

A Painkiller with some fresh nutmeg would be lovely while I am writing out our cards. I can just imagine what my handwriting would look like:eek:

• 7 months later...
Hi Jim, We were on this sailing as well! Can you please tell me. Did you have any problem with Frank, the sommieler from Germany? The blond haired one?

Not at all. In fact we got on quite well. He does have a bit of bite to his sense of humor but then, I am married to a Chigago girl. I am used to it.

Jim.

Archived