Art Auctions

Rallo

friends of ours on our easter cruise bought a picture for $2000, which seemed very expensive to me, but they liked it. Not much of an auction as they usuallu sell for the reserve price Ie only one bidder.

Yes they do have to ship from america BUT they did get a "free' bottle of champagne which was as good as the champagne waterfall.

They did put a sold sticker on it but dont know why as it wastn the picture they are going to get as it cmes from america.

I thought they were ripoffs, but i guess if you like the piece and the price it is ok.

What the??? Does anyone actually buy art on the cruise? Isn't this an odd thing to do on a cruise? Especially P&O Aussie cruises. Or am I just uncultured? :confused:

Yes, we said the same thing Rallo, until we went to the Auction on Pacific Sun last year, just as a bit of fun and to get a free glass of champagne - and we ended up buying a painting that we saw and liked. But it was only a relatively cheap one - one person on that cruise paid over $10,000 for a piece - but it was something we liked and we look on it as another souvenier of our trip - we look at it and remember our cruise on Pacific Sun.

And yes - they do dispatch them from the US - we waited 11 weeks for ours. Before we got the painting we'd already booked our next cruise! Either they despatch one from their warehouse in Florida, or if the picture on the ship is an orignal or once off or the last one (like ours was) they send that on back to the US to be reglassed and reframed (llike we don't have people in Australia that can do it), and then resend it back to Australia.

We were hoping to buy another one by the same artist on our recent cruise - but they didn't have any of the size we wanted on board.

I went to the art auction as well on the sun and was amazed at how many people were actually bidding and buying items for $4000 and up! It was quite interesting as the auctioneer went into the history of the artists etc.

If you go early you write your name on a slip of paper and you may win some art. We won a nice print, and on the last day our name was called to come to the pursers desk. We had paid our account so didn't know what it was for.. guess what? They wanted $15 for delivery on our painting! Funny.. we didn't think we would have to pay for delivery on somthing we won. Anyway we paid the $15 and 6 or so weeks later received our very well packaged print, signed and numberred by the artist. That was February 2005 and it's still sitting in the packaging! haha.. will have to get round to framing it one of these days!

I never made it to the auction on the Star but friends went and said people were buying up big.. btw they had the same art on both cruises.

I never made it to the auction on the Star but friends went and said people were buying up big.. btw they had the same art on both cruises.

I think if you go on any Carnival Corp owned cruise ship/cruise line you will see the same art.

What amazed me was the brochures that were delivered to the cabins. They were acutally for P&O Uk ships - as it talked about saving as much as 2000 pounds on art - or winning art valued at 150 pounds.

I didn't go to any of the auctions as I'm not the least bit interested (didn't even go for the free champagne - that's not like me:) ). However, I did see a couple of pictures that I liked , they were the ones with the little "olive people". Did anybody else see them?

Karen

I have seen the little Olive people on three cruises so far. I suspect there is factory somewhere churning these out by the ship load.!!!!!

Unless they are the same paintings that get moved from ship to ship.

Who knows.

I have seen the little Olive people on three cruises so far. I suspect there is factory somewhere churning these out by the ship load.!!!!!

Unless they are the same paintings that get moved from ship to ship.

Who knows.

I have seen the olive people on the UK P+O ships too (Oceana 2004 & 5) - I liked them, (and even for a couple of seconds actually considered buying one), but thought they were a bit overpriced!!

Karen

I have seen the olive people on the UK P+O ships too (Oceana 2004 & 5) - I liked them, (and even for a couple of seconds actually considered buying one), but thought they were a bit overpriced!!

Karen

I didn't even bother checking the price out so I wouldn;t know what they went for. The one I really liked (they were working on a racing car) had a SOLD sticker on it the first time I saw it.

Karen

on the sky in august last year our table companion spent about 8000 on some paintings, i offered to take him to target in melbourne to get similar prints for 40 bucks each, as the americans say theres one born every minute. never ceases to amaze me how reasonably smart people can buy those paintings when on a cruise, yet they wont shout a bottle of wine at dinner

On one of the member's webshot's albums, I spotted some paintings of native birds like cockatoos and lorikeets. Did anyone notice if any bird paintings were being sold?

The paintings of the Australian birds lined the corridors of the passenger cabin decks on Pacific Star, but they weren't for sale they were part of the ship. It was probably on my webshot's page that you saw the photos.

They have next to no Australian Art at the Art Auctions. The only ones I saw were two paintings of Sydney Harbour - which were at the auctions on both Pacific Star and Pacific Sun.

Kym

I didn't go to any of the auctions as I'm not the least bit interested (didn't even go for the free champagne - that's not like me:) ). However, I did see a couple of pictures that I liked , they were the ones with the little "olive people". Did anybody else see them?

Karen

It was one of those that we bought on Pacific Sun Karen. They are done by Michael Goddard and they are excellent.

http://www.michaelgodard.com/art.html

His theme is mostly olives and strawberries - there'll always be an olive, or strawberry or both in the painting. We bought one of the cheaper ones of those, entitled "He Devil, She Devil". Although I believe he's diversifying a bit.

We were hoping to get another one this cruise, but they only had the bigger ($1200) ones which were too big for the wall space we have to put them, and to expensive for the bank balance to cope with.

I didn't even bother checking the price out so I wouldn;t know what they went for. The one I really liked (they were working on a racing car) had a SOLD sticker on it the first time I saw it.

Karen

Even with a Sold sticker on it Karen, if you really wanted one you could have got it - they would have charged you the same as what the highest bidder paid for the one sold on the ship (plus the comission and postage) and had it delivered to you.

The whole "auction" thing is a bit of con - it's not like it's a real auction. They have a reserve, which they start at, they then take 3 bids, at a fixed increase each time and after those 3 bids, if more than 1 person wants it, and they have more than one in the warehouse in Florida - which they pretty much always will - everyone who was bidding on it gets it. It's not an auction, it's just a way of driving up the price in a way that makes you think you're at a real auction.

And suckers like us fall for it, but we DID know we saw the con before we bought the painting, we just wanted it!

It was one of those that we bought on Pacific Sun Karen. They are done by Michael Goddard and they are excellent.

http://www.michaelgodard.com/art.html

His theme is mostly olives and strawberries - there'll always be an olive, or strawberry or both in the painting. We bought one of the cheaper ones of those, entitled "He Devil, She Devil". Although I believe he's diversifying a bit.

We were hoping to get another one this cruise, but they only had the bigger ($1200) ones which were too big for the wall space we have to put them, and to expensive for the bank balance to cope with.

Thanks for the link Kym. I'll check it out.

Karen

wow. thanks for the link. My friend who bought a painting on our cruise really loved those martini pictures. I didnt think to check out a website for them. i will email her the site right away.Even I like a few of his works

Thanks again

karon

The paintings of the Australian birds lined the corridors of the passenger cabin decks on Pacific Star, but they weren't for sale they were part of the ship. It was probably on my webshot's page that you saw the photos.

They have next to no Australian Art at the Art Auctions. The only ones I saw were two paintings of Sydney Harbour - which were at the auctions on both Pacific Star and Pacific Sun.

Kym

Bummer! I am something of a bird nut!

On the Sapphire Princess last year there were a lot of people (Americans) who just went on the cruise for the auctions. Some of them regularly spent up to $50,000 each for several paintings over the course of the cruise. The auctions are very big business on Princess lines. More recently on the Pacific Princess, because it was mosly Aussies on the cruise, very little artwork was sold and the most expensive piece I saw was only about $1,500. It was amazing the difference between the 2 ships :p Mummsie

On the Sapphire Princess last year there were a lot of people (Americans) who just went on the cruise for the auctions. Some of them regularly spent up to $50,000 each for several paintings over the course of the cruise. The auctions are very big business on Princess lines. More recently on the Pacific Princess, because it was mosly Aussies on the cruise, very little artwork was sold and the most expensive piece I saw was only about $1,500. It was amazing the difference between the 2 ships :p Mummsie

Oh how the other half lives :o.

Archived