Charge for Infant

stellarcam

I wonder if anyone (perhaps, disturbed) has ever stowed away an infant? Ghastly, to think about it.

Folks bring all sorts of things onboard packed in their luggage. Crock pots, Coffee makers, Irons, Fans, DVD players, Cases of Water, Beer and Wine.

Not that I am comparing a human child to these things. You just never know.

Awful to think about:eek:

But I wouldnt put it past some people.

doubtful that this could happen now adays= since they x-ray your carryon bags. I really don't think anyone would do such a thing! Not to mention that the cabin steward would get wise to it!!!!

Yeah, I suppose they would. I guess the infant could look like a doll to the X-ray- but it would probably be moving which would give it away.

I dont even wanna think about it.

In all seriousness the worst times to cruise with children are when they are under 3 and over 16. I say this because I have done both. The last cruise I went on with my older son was in 2005. He was 17 and he slept every day until 1PM, wanted nothing to do with fine dining, and hung out with a bunch of teens drinking smuggled on rum from one of the ports. God knows what went on while I was sleeping and he was out until all hours.

He doesn't want to travel with Mom and little brother anymore. I invite him but he routinely turns me down. I feel like I am including him but sort of glad he isn't going. He is 19 and can't drink legally but I know he will find a way and get into trouble!

Thanks for the help and the tip about NCL.

Your don't say where you are based, but if its UK (or even Europe) P+O UK (http://www.POCruises.com) do some sailings with free infant, child (and even 3rd & 4th passenger adult - my current irritation due to having to pay, on same sailing, a 60% single supplement) fares.

On other sailings, the rate per 3rd & 4th passengers varies from a low to a high % of base fares.

Karen

Yea its a sad story, my 3 year old niece costs $1200!! I'll be surprised if she eats 10 dollars worth of food the entire time
And it's sad that when I cruise as a single in a cabin, I pay for the entire cabin, i.e., for two people or 180 - 200% of the per person fare. But that's the cost of cruising and I do it willingly. Not only do I not eat twice as much but I don't make twice the mess nor have diapers to dispose of (yet).

And it's sad that when I cruise as a single in a cabin, I pay for the entire cabin, i.e., for two people or 180 - 200% of the per person fare. But that's the cost of cruising and I do it willingly. Not only do I not eat twice as much but I don't make twice the mess nor have diapers to dispose of (yet).

Maybe you should strike up a deal with a family with a child and book the child in your room. Wouldn't cost you anything and then the parents can pay you half of what the child's fare would have been. Save you both a few hundred dollars.

BUT, you must be prepared for it to backfire. Scenario: Mom & Dad discipline the child for throwing a tantrum and send him to his room. :)

I still think it is worse that they charge a full 3rd fare for an infant who doesn't eat anything and doesn't require much in the way of service either. At least you get the whole cabin to yourself.

I still think it is worse that they charge a full 3rd fare for an infant who doesn't eat anything and doesn't require much in the way of service either. At least you get the whole cabin to yourself.

Fares on cruise ships are not determined by how much you eat...... By the same token, fares on airlines are not determined by how much the passenger weights.......

The infant would still get charged on the airplane for taking up a seat, so the infant should be charged for taking up cabin space. ;)

Look at the price of true suites! Just because they are in a suite, they have lots of space. It is the space that costs!

Yes, I know that sounds strange, but we also traveled with a family group, and sailed on the Ryndam. My brother and his wife had two young kids, one still in diapers and the other a toddler. While there was no price break per se, they made special contact withthe parents, had a crib and high chair ready, also asked for favorite foods, and juices, and provided a constant supply of them, as well as diapers. It made packing much easier, and the kids were treated like royalty on board. It was a summer cruise so there were a few kids on board.

Sally, it's usually not the kids but the parents. :( I sympathize with your experience.

I think a better break should be made for infants, small children i can understand the 3rd party, but not infants. Our last Cruise we had one little boy , 15 mos I think and he was actually the hit of the cruise. Well behaved, visited with other passengers in the Atrium. He even had his own Sea Pass Card.

We all know on any given cruise, there will be children, some cruises more then others, why should one worry that we have them. Enjoy your Cruise by the people we meet, service we get, and the enjoyment of relaxing. I am not going to worry about the little things that may not please us.

God forbid should you want to have a quiet dinner on a cruise, you get labeled a terrible, spiteful, evil, mean person. That's just not right.

Certainly you're entitled to a quiet dinner on a cruise. What some of us don't appreciate is sweeping generalizations about family cruisers, suggesting that we're all thoughtless, cheap, lazy parents with bratty offspring.

Can't we all agree on the following:

1. Princess offers no discounts for infants or kids. Period. End of story.

2. Parents owe it to their fellow cruisers to supervise their kids and be responsible for them.

3. Families have as much right to book a Princess cruise as anybody else (subject to Princess' right to limit the number of kids on board).

--Junglejane

Kids should not be free, the normal person rate is appropriate. The ship has a capacity and that capacity has to accomodate everyone. There should not be an incentive to bring additional kids or a penalty discouraging people that want to bring them.

The current system works, and obviously was well thought out by those in charge. You will always have intrusive kids that are not taken care of by thoughtless parents. Sometimes really good kids, with very courteous parents can have a bad night or bad day - just like many of you on this site...:)

Also,

I have been on planes with a screaming baby.

I have been on planes with a drunk getting sick in a barf bag next to me.

I have had dinner next to kids running and making a lot of noise.

I have been to dinner with loud obnoxious adults speaking down to the staff.

I have been in elevators with kids pushing all the buttons.

I have been in elevators with adults puffing on smokes

I have been in a hallway with kids running past me

I have been in a hallway and ran over by an adult on a scooter

Adults vs. children. Give me children. at least they have an excuse. 1being young and 2 they didn't have a choice in parents.

Archived