Need Idea's for Door Decorating

judimouse

We have a group sailing on the Monarch on October 25th. Once of the things we are going to have is a door decorating contest.

Need some ideas as to what to add to the door.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Names (first only), where you're from, family or pet pictures, logos of favorite sport teams, any kind of tropical or nautical decorations - anything that appeals to you and represents things that are important to you. We always decorate our door and have such fun with it and others passing by enjoy it too and always make comments. Also a great way to help identify your room down those L-O-N-G hallways!

Kathy

Kathy

Do *not* spend a lot of time or money on your efforts. It's likely that the decorations will not last more than a day or so if there are many children on board. :mad:

for my alaska cruise i went to a card factory store ( bargain store for cards/paper and party goods). for a couple of dollars i found a acordian type decoration that looked like a totom pole. it was so neat. there were lots of other theme oriented items also. i am going to do the same thing next trip.

We printed signs for all of our group -- somebody copied the fish from this site. We originally put ours on the door with a magnet shaped like NJ -- where we live. Somebody took it the 1st day. :-(

Don't spend a lot of $$.

We have never had the cruise line take ours down but a few have been stolen.

I recommend a serial or story-telling theme where you start with something on day one and add something to it each day. People in your hallway will actually begin to stop by each day for their update.

Work with the cabin steward and they will make it more fun. I hung balloons on our door and a passerby asked what was the occasion. The cabin steward told them this was just a fun hallway. Then I hung them on each of his cabins and those of his sister (15 or 20 rooms). It gets contageous and it also helps to find your room.

Do *not* spend a lot of time or money on your efforts. It's likely that the decorations will not last more than a day or so if there are many children on board. :mad:

That's terrible-we did a halloween cruise on the Disney Cruiseline a couple of years ago-several of us did up our doors with no problem (in fact the empty trick or treat bags we taped up on our door actualy ended up being filled by some of the passengers).

I would suggest looking into the battery operated light strings (skulls, jack o lanterns, etc.) these are also fun on a veranda. Check into the 3-d type decorations (type that fan open and are held in place by a brad)-these pack easily. We also grabbed a cute halloween themed tray at the dollar store and used it in the cabin-the kids made a halloween goodie bag for our steward and left it with a note halloween morning, the steward got a big kick out of it.

Look into the type of double backed tape that will not pull off paint or vaneer for attaching decorations

We had one dedicated fellow cruiseing family who went so far as to decorate the entrance hall to their suite as a haunted house-those of us who had "met" on-line and arranged a trick or treak walk were blown away by their creativity.

Have a great time-Halloween is a great time to cruise (don't forget to bring costumes!).

Thanks for all your wonderful ideas. I love the Halloween ideas but we are on just a 4 night cruise and return before Halloween.

Since we have some 19 Red Hat Chapters going on this cruise I think I will make red hat's out of colored paper and try and but the name of each chapter on the hats. Although a skelton with a red hat could be interesting LOL

I plan on taking pictures of all the doors in the contest and will share them with you when we return.

Ladybeachlover --

Only the magnet shaped like NJ was taken, not the door sign or the other magnet. Our cabin steward had no problem w/ the signs & actually got me some tape to keep the sign on the door after my magnet dissappeared.

We started with a sheet of poster paper and added pictures of us, our kids, our home and our favorite dog & mouse, Goofy & Minnie (our kids work at Walt Disney World). Then we used some stickers (from our scrapbook collection) related to our cruise - Hawaii. We left about 60% of the space blank and attached a marker. Many of our neighbors wrote notes on it, as did our dinner companions. We attached it to the door with double-sided removable tape. Lots of folks told us (and some wrote) that our door decoration served as a navigational aid to them since we were right by the elevator. We had such fun with it that we'll definitely do it again.

I really don't mean to be rude, but doesn't anyone else find this extremely tacky?

I've been on 2 Celebrity cruises and have NEVER seen a door decorated, and I'd probably be horrified if I did.

The cruiselines spend a fortune to keep their ships looking elegant, only to have people trashing them with childish decorations.

Then I hear people on the boards complain that their stuff is torn down or stolen. I assure you it wasn't stolen, it was THROWN away.

There used to be a measure of "class" aboard cruise ships, now they're becoming floating "Walmarts".

I don't mean to offend any door decorators out there, I'm just curious if anyone else feels as I do.

There are way too many other serious things to think about. If a decorated door brings a smile to someone's face and brightens us into being 'young at heart', why should this be a problem.

Yes, it may be silly and possibly tacky but on my Celebrity cruise last October, there were quite a few doors decorated for Halloween. There may even been those who thought 'I should have done that also'.

Smile- life's too short......

Guess I fall into that "Tacky Walmart" cruiser category. I have been decorating our door for the past several years and have a lot of fun doing it.

I am lucky that nothing has ever been "removed" and have had nothing but positive comments from both the stewards & fellow passengers.

I don't have anything expensive, just some foil fish & palm trees and usually a poster with Hubby & my picture on it.

bibb, love your serial idea. Maybe I can think of something special for our Halloween cruise.

We have been on 20 cruises (including 4 on Celebrity) and have always decorated our door and balcony. We have never had a problem with anything being taken down and all the comments we have received from both staff and fellow passengers have always been positive. It's a fun way to identify your cabin and other pasengers seem to use it as well to find their way home down those L-O-N-G hallways!

We see more and more people doing it on every cruise we take and we have even been on group cruises where they have had contests for the best decorations.

Can't imagine that anyone would have a problem with such a fun idea!

Kathy

On our spring break cruise I decorated 8 different doors, all part of our group traveling together. Everyong had a different "theme" to go along with their personality or hobby.

One of the best places I found for material was a teacher supply store. I got a lot of stuff that was on sale, so it didn't get too expensive. Everyone thought it was great and got lots of giggles out of it.

For our own door, I got a map of the Caribbean and stuck different stickers at the various ports that we would be visiting that represented something we would be doing. Ie: in Grand Caymen I had some sting ray stickers. I also had a boat that I moved from island to island each day to show the progress of our trip. We got lots of compliments from other passengers, so it was worth the effort.

Pam

We are going on our first cruise with Princess next year. With that said, we have always cruised Celebrity and always decorated our door. Tacky? Our fellow cruisers ask us not to take anything off until the last day as it helps them find their cabins. We enjoy decorating our cabin doo:D r!

• 2 weeks later...

I decorate our door. In fact, we get quite a few laughs! When I get home, the door items get scrapbooked.

I even put a sheet with lines on it, surrounded by waves for people to sign. In April, we had folks signing Wayne Newton from Las Vegas, etc. Our door was the talk of the hallway. ;) ;) ;)

Archived