Alaska in May???

Alaska that early in May can bring you anything from 70s and sunny to low 30s, overcast and sleeting, sometimes in the same cruise. Pack layers and rain gear so you can adjust on a day to day, as needed basis.

Having done an Alaska cruise during that week, I would most definitely do it again. Your chances of cold or bad weather will be greater, however.

We've been to Alaska, once in August and twice in early May. We greatly prefer early May! Fridayeyes gave great advice on clothing wear. You will have a great time regardless of the weather. Just bear in mind that rain is always possible at any time.

Hi, Silverpenny

My DH and I will be on your cruise and we also sailed the Volendam last year for the first sailing to Alaska. There are 4 other CC members on the May 10 sailing this year. I would ask you to join our roll call, but most everyone has already departed or will be departing this weekend. If you get a chance we will be meeting in the Explorer's Lounge on Thursday at 11:00 am. We'd love to have you join us.

Fridayeyes gave you perfect information regarding weather and the appropriate clothing.

This will be our 5th trip to Alaska of which 2 have been in early May. As we live in the heat of South Texas, May is definately our favorite time to go. From what I have heard, the weather last year was a little warmer than usual. The forecasts this year indicate it will be cooler and wetter than normal. Weather changes quickly in Alaska and forecasts aren't very accurate. Come prepared for wet and cold with layers that can be shed for sunny and warm.

Be safe as you travel to Vancouver!

B

Hi B - Hope you all on the 5/10 cruise take warm weather with you and leave it there for our 17th sailing!! And I hope Sage remembered to bring the whales!!! I'm packing only warm clothes this time!

Hi Silverpenny! DH and I will be on your cruise -- we do hope you will meet us Thursday am as Bellebaby has already mentioned. We've been chatting since last June and look forward to meeting and having a wonderful cruise! I wish we had met you online sooner!

We leave in less than 10 hours for 4 days pre-cruise in Vancouver. This is our first cruise together (my first was a 4 nighter this past February with gal-friends - just enough to give me the cruising fever!!) We are so excited!

The forecast does look rainy and cool - so we have added a few more clothes to our stuffed cases -- hopefully we will have less rain than the forecast -- but to be on a cruise and in Alaska can only be a joy!

Good luck as you pack and get ready -- we hope to meet you Thursday aboard the Volendam!! :D

ps -- Nancyquilts - being from Louisiana your post on NO mosquitoes is enough reason to cruise in May!!

Welcome Silverpenny to the May 10th sailing. DH and I are currently on the Volendam headed for Vancouver. We have calm seas and sunny skies, so we are hoping we can bring the sun with us all the way to Vancouver. Please join us for the get together on the first sea day, May 11th I believe, in the Explorer's Lounge. When you reach the entrance to the Explorer's Lounge, turn left and go all the way to the far corner. You can't miss me, I'm the one with the bright red hair. We hope to see you there. The Volendam is gorgeous, the crew is fabulous.

Archived