If You Order Room Service Breakfast........

sail7seas

I have to have my coffee first thing in the morning. We normally have room service for breakfast most days...coffee, juice, fruit, cereal or yogurt. That's more than I ususally eat for breakfast. Way too much food in the Lido and too hard to find a table. On the last two cruises, we ate in the Pinnacle Grill a couple of times. Had no trouble getting a table. But I did eat too much (yummy Eggs Benedict).

I actually enjoy getting up and going to the Lido and getting breakfast.

Even if I just feel like a cup of coffee and a danish or roll. I like strolling on deck or sitting and watching the ocean with my breakfast. That I can do , but getting up every morning and going downstairs to make coffee before getting ready for work takes every fiber of my being *LOL*

Plus we usually travel with a large group and I will normally bump into one or more of the group and we chat about our plans for the day or where we will be meeting up later.

My wife is still sound asleep though so I will just bring her back a plate.

If I didn't have room service breakfast, I wouldn't have breakfast at all. I have lousy eating habits. At home, I'm lucky to get two meals a day, often only one. (I'm trying, though; I really am!) I usually skip lunch, have shrimp cocktail via room service late afternoon, then a nice dinner.

Usually, what I eat depends on what activities I'll be doing for the day. I always order room service for my first breakfast. It gives me coffee and something light to eat while I get up and showered. Then, I either go to the Lido if it's a shore day and I'm in a hurry, or I go to the dining room if it's a sea day and I want to relax. Mmmm, I love eggs benedict, and crassonts, and fruit, and bacon, and waffles, and man, when is my next cruise???? :D

we didn't order room service too often before our 11/05 Westerdam cruise. With the Code Red measures being taken, service was slowed down in the Lido, and the dining room was very busy. We ordered room service breakfast most mornings (writing in the items we like that aren't listed on the hang card) and enjoyed it so much, I imagine that will be our pattern in the future. Breakfast on the verandah is an almost surreal experience to those of us who eat on the run most days while heading to work.

We always give the steward at least $3 -$5 depending upon how big a tray he had to deliver. :) If we ordered only coffee and cereal, we probably would tip about $3. On most of our recent cruises, it has been the same steward every morning. He often tells us the first day that he will be taking care of us for the whole cruise. Even still, though he brings our breakfast every morning and knows that every morning we tip him, we have to have the money out and in hand or he is out the door before we can give it to him. They Never linger or hang around trying to 'seek a tip'. Never have we ever felt they were expecting it even though they know we tip daily.

Just how much do you tip for breakfast room service???

I usually tip $2.00 for one tray of breakfast. I have never ordered just a cup of coffee---if they're coming anyway might as well go whole hog!

Every time I say that dirty word "exercise" I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

I told my DH about your while we were walking today, Ruth, and he started to howl. I think he just about stopped traffic he was laughing so hard. :) Thought it was great!!

I always order room service for breakfast and eat in the dining room for meals. I find it helps me limit my eating to reasonable amounts. I didn't know though that if you write in something you will get it. i will try that for eggs benie next time! Good tip! Thanks!

I really admire all of you and your will power to eat "right". I figure I'm too old not to let myself have a spluge or two for a week's cruise. The last four cruises have been just me and my teen-age daughter. I am up way early (especially in Alaska) and as soon as the continental breakfast bar opens, I enjoy my HAL-only treat....Bircher's muesli. Then I take a cup of coffee up to the Crow's Nest (Honest, I return the cup to the Lido!) until I think either a) the quiz has been put out in the library or b) it's safe to blast my DD out of bed. Then we go up to the Lido so she can eat, I can have another bowl of muesli, and we can work on the quiz. Great way to start the day! We do have room service, but usually just on the days we have an early shorex, or on disembarkation day.

HALonlycruiser, tell me about the Bircher's muesli. I have had so many "interpretations" of muesli, both good and bad! I don't guess I really know the characteristics of an authentic muesli!!

thanks

sarahjane

Hi Sarajane:

The Bircher's Meusli on HAL is in a pan at the end of the fruit section (or before the fruit section...it's there someplace:))

It's cold, and a mixture of yogurt, oats, and fruit (usually whatever is left over from the day before.) It sounds disgusting, but I love it! Sometimes it's a little too soupy, but it's great stuff. Swiss meusli, I think, is usually like a dry cereal, containing oats, wheat germ, non-fat dry milk, and dried fruit.

When do you leave for Alaska?

I agree that most people find meusli disgusting. I guess it's an acquired taste;) . For those of us with distinguished palates:D .

Anyway, we leave for Alaska in ONE WEEK!!! yikes! Time to start thinking about that packing list.

happy sunday all!

sarahjane

Do you find you have more control over what/how much you have for breakfast if you have Room Service than go to Lido where everything is so tempting?

The thought never crossed my mind that I would have to control myself in the Lido. It makes no difference if I have room service, go to the dining room or the Lido. I guess want I am saying is , if I went to the Lido, I don't feel like I have to control myself just because there is a lot of food available. I eat the same way regardless. On a given morning it wouldn't make a difference if I ordered room service or went to the Lido. I would order the same thing. :)

I understand what you're saying, Gizmo ... but what that means is that you are a person in control to begin with. Some of us aren't:o and when presented with too much food tend to overindulge.

I think that's what Sail meant with her question ... it would apply really to people who tend to overeat a bit on a cruise (or maybe even always:) ), but by ordering room service might be more selective and not just check every box.

That's one reason it's dangerous to go to the grocery store hungry ... in a way it's a giant buffet.:D .

I find I order the same exact from room service or the lido and even more boring is I usually eat the same breakfast every morning, but it sure is GOOD!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next cruise.

One of my favorite things about cruising is room service breakfast. Just thinking about it now makes me happy........lol. Bagel, cream cheese,lox, sausage, cereal, banana, coffee...........

That's one reason it's dangerous to go to the grocery store hungry ... in a way it's a giant buffet.:D .

:) That is great, Heather........ a giant buffet.

Giz.....I am reasonably slim and certainly can exercise self control. My question was an innocent one pointing out how tempting it can be to see so many choices. I never would dream of ordering french toast for my room service breakfast but I can imagine on a given morning, if I were to walk by the buffet and see a fresh batch of french toast sitting there looking all golden and luscious, I might be tempted.

I guess I'm only human!!! :)

I have total admiration for a person who never has temptations. More power to them!!!

Must be fantastic to have such an iron will and firm control of oneself at all times.

Archived