If You Order Room Service Breakfast........

sail7seas

Really enjoyed our early morning coffee/tea in our cabin with a couple of the fabulous croissants. The few times we ordered a hot breakfast, it was excellent--actually the eggs were better than in the lido.

S7S....you hit the nail on the head. We usually have breakfast in the cabin about half of the time.....always on shore days and sometimes on sea days....mostly for convenience and because I like to relax and ease into the day.....but also for control. When I order in I have a fruit cup and either cereal or scrambled eggs. If I go to the Lido, I have fruit....lots and lots and lots of fruit....scrambled eggs....maybe bacon or sausage....maybe a waffle....maybe a pastry or two....etc. Way too many choices, and when I'm hungry, I always eat too much. In the cabin I eat my smaller portions and savor my second cup of coffee and am satisfied.

I love the Lido, but it is definitely hazardous to my health!

We always have breakfast in the cabin, for my part it is definitely to control the amount I eat. I have coffee and a roll, DH will have juice, eggs and bacon and toast. I cannot function until I`ve had my coffee! If I just have a small b/fast, then I can enjoy lunch later on. I don`t eat b/fast at home, so see no point in eating it aboard ship!.....jean:cool:

We have first breakfast in the cabin and that's coffee, juice, and croissants. The coffee and juice is to get Mrs. K awake and functional, though I certainly don't mind it. The croissants are more for me so I can wait until Mrs. K is ready for second breakfast, she's not an early morning person to start with and normally isn't ready for breakfast until 9 - 10:00 AM. I think this does impact our Lido breakfast later in the morning though as we don't fill our plates totally and rarely go back for seconds. We actually can get off a cruise with little to no weight gain. :)

We also had coffee and croissants from room service. I wake up early and neither of us is "ready for public" without our morning coffee.

I THINK it contributed to eating less at our "second breakfast" but it's hard to say. As our normal breakfast is coffee and either toast or a bagel, an omlette, smoked salmon, fruit salad, bacon, sauage, danish....etc is WAY more than normal. Would we have went for seconds or really pile up our plates if we didn't have the room service? I can't say for sure.

I like to have a teensy breakfast. Two prunes, a slice of cheese and my coffee. I'm a 'second breakfast' person, too, and then it's usually a few eggs or yogurt with berries.

The first breakfast will come via room service. My consideration for others prevents me from leaving my cabin before I've had my coffee. ;)

I have much more control over how much I eat if we order room service the night before because I'm full when I fill out the card:) .

But even if I order it in the morning, I would eat less. When we go to the Lido I take more than I need or even want.

as someone else mentioned, keep in mind that you can write in things that are not on the menu and will receive them. Wife likes oatmeal and that isn't listed as an option but it always comes if you write it in.

I enjoy getting coffee, danish and juice first thing in the morning and then having a leisurely bfast later in the lido, then we generally do a lighter lunch.

Room Service Breakfast is one of our favorite things about being on a cruise. There's nothing like relaxing in bed in a fluffy white bathrobe amidst a giant tray of yummy breads, omlettes, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, juice, a giant pot of coffee, and one of tea as well...

Ahhhhh...lifestyles of the perfectly pampered....

I'm afraid we probably eat more via room service because we can linger longer while waking up slowly. It's also nice to spend the first few moments of the day alone with my sweet spouse instead of the masses in the Lido...

As for me, I have never had room service in my life. I'm just way to cheap.:o Can hardly wait to indulge myself for the first time. 2 weeks and counting for one of many firsts:D

We like to order room service 1st thing in the morning. A giant pot of coffee and a few croissants. Nothing better than sitting on our verandah, sipping back that first cup of java for the day and watching the world wake up off the ship or on sea days just watching the ocean slipping by. Sometime we do the breakfast in our room as well, but usually like to get up to the buffet to get my eggs a little warmer that they are in room service. Also to meet some of our fellow cruisers. Last year on the Constellation there was a great little restaurant on the aft of the Lido deck that served omlettes and great waffles, and a lot quieter than the buffet. Our weight doesn't seem to change very much when we are onboard, so don't worry too much about that. We enjoy a good-sized breakfast a very light lunch and usually don't over-do dinner, so I guess it evens out.

Do you tip the room service guy based on what he brought, or just "per trip?" I mean, would you tip the same if he just brought a pot of coffee as you would if he delivered a whole big breakfast? What would you consider an adequate tip for either one? I am never quite sure on that one, as we don't have a bill to figure a percent.:confused:

Here's something interesting I just thought of...In all the cruises we've been on, we have NEVER had either breakfast OR lunch in the main dining room. Based on your experience, would you recommend we try it or not?

Alaska on Westerdam in 8 days!!!:D

sarahjane

I love the Sunrise Parfait that they serve in the dining room. I have tried to get that for Room Service, but they always tell me "no". I will try again on the next trip.

Sometimes the breakfast I order depends on what we will be doing for the day. If we are getting off the ship late morning and not returning till mid-afternoon I usually have a bigger breakfast either Room Service, Lido or Dining Room. Then a light snackish lunch upon return as to not spoil dinner.

If a sea day a light breakfast and an early lunch in the Dining Room.

I try and avoid the Lido as much as possible, not for food quantity, as I much prefer the restaurant feel in the Dining Room or the privacy in the cabin. I've never eaten dinner in the Lido or for Room Service. I also hate it when I do go to the Lido and can't find a table - very annoying.

I love room service for breakfast. I am a morning person, DH is not. So this is a good compromise. I eat alot more when we go to Lido. Eat alot healthier when we order in. I love eggs benedict, so one morning I am going to try writing it in and see what happens.

On the last cruise (3 night) we did not get it. With this being the first week long cruise for DD, she has one thing on her agenda. Room Service! Breakfast in bed and a late night cheeseburger and fries.

I tip for the trip (not so much what is being brought). Sort of like I tip per drink (from my bartending days).

Dd and I did not use room service last cruise, but on upcoming one we are planning more afternoon excursions so possibly we will try it...I am a morning person as is she, so most of the time we love to get out and see people.

LHC

We prefer to eat in the dining room for breakfast or order room service. We never go to the Lido at breakfast as we do not like Buffet breakfasts. We prefer to be waited on and only go to the Lido at lunchtime.

When ordering both in the dining room or for room service we only order what we need and therefore we do not order too much.

Jennie

I'm certain I make wiser food choices when I eat breakfast in the Lido, rather than have room service.

When I do order room service I see all those wonderful foods listed and just can't decide. So I make more check marks than really necessary. That omelette sounds good! Sure, put some cheese in it! Oh, and how about some bacon! Haven't had sausage in a while, either; put a couple of links on the plate, please.

Now, when can I schedule that next heart attack? :rolleyes:

If I go to the Lido I ponder the choices as I get dressed; I can make decisions based on what's good for me, and when I'm likely to have lunch. By the time I get to the Lido I'm focused on getting exactly what I decided on.

I really admire all of you and your will power to eat "right". I figure I'm too old not to let myself have a spluge or two for a week's cruise. The last four cruises have been just me and my teen-age daughter. I am up way early (especially in Alaska) and as soon as the continental breakfast bar opens, I enjoy my HAL-only treat....Bircher's muesli. Then I take a cup of coffee up to the Crow's Nest (Honest, I return the cup to the Lido!) until I think either a) the quiz has been put out in the library or b) it's safe to blast my DD out of bed. Then we go up to the Lido so she can eat, I can have another bowl of muesli, and we can work on the quiz. Great way to start the day! We do have room service, but usually just on the days we have an early shorex, or on disembarkation day.

Archived