After you Book -

fsdj1097

No TA has any obligation to match the price of another TA. Sometimes they will for "good will" but often they refuse. So many vairables. Are you a great customer of theirs; how much commission will they still make if they drop the price ?

If the cruise line price drops prior to final payment, you will definitely get the credit upon request.

After final payment, it is a "sometimes" situation. We have had it go both ways.

Not all airlines will do this. Hawaiian Airlines repeatedly refused to give me any credit for seven tickets I purchased for our family vacation to Oahu. When I booked (fairly early,) the Super Saver fare selector was dimmed. I assumed those fares were already sold out. Since we had to go at a certain time due to work vacation coordination among 3 family groups, I booked. About 2 weeks later, the Super Saver was not dimmed, and the prices were a good bit less. I was told verbally and in writing that I was out of luck. Yes, I agreed to the price at the time of booking, and we had a wonderful time. It just would have been nice to get a bit of a break ... especially since I purchased that many seats. (Two additional seats were purchased with frequent flyer miles.) Bottom line, don't count on getting a break from the airline once you've booked and paid.

Jim....

As a former airline guy who had to deal with this ... the standard for airfare reductions on penalty based fares is this:

• It presumes a cancel/rebook action (and note that the cancelled seats do not necessarily slide back into the originally booked class of service on a on-to-one basis)
  • It requires that seats be available in the required booking class
  • It requires application of the fare penalty (this is wildly variable)
  • If there is a reduction after all of this, the airline SHOULD have allowed the differential as either a Travel Credit or Refund.
  • Because of the notes above, passengers frequently would not be due anything...
  • Short version: if it weren't a differential of greater than the cancellation penalty, it wasn't generally acted on.

I don't know that all of that was true with your Hawaiian experience, but I suspect it may have been.

So for you and others who have run into this, I hope it helps...

Cheers!

One reason I like Southwest is that they don't have cancellation penalties. So if the fare goes down they'll issue you a credit for the difference. Actually, they cancel out the first one and issue a credit for the full amount. They then rebook it, using your credit and issue a new credit for the difference. I had two price reductions on one flight last year. The credit was good for a year and I used it in April.

Archived