Be on the alert for flight changes!

mininutrsp

I booked flights on March 22 for the September 10 Destiny cruise. I've been monitoring pricing a couple times a week for the heck of it. It went up $20 a couple of weeks ago. Sunday night I looked again and couldn't find the main flights. I logged on to American's website and brought up my reservation. There was a bold red statement on the screen telling me that there had been a change of schedule for my itinerary. In checking things out I discovered that they had me still leaving Kalamazoo, MI at 6:17 A.M., but having to sit in Chicago for 4 1/2 hours rather than 1 hour, arriving in San Juan 3 1/2 hours later than before. What was really bad was they had us flying out of San Juan at 9:00 A.M. on disembarkation day. My previous flight was at 1:47.

I checked other options and found that the only afternoon flights to Chicago connected in Florida (rather than direct) and didn't arrive in Chicago until 9 or 10 P.M., missing the last flight to Kalamazoo. I called American and got a later flight out of Kalamazoo, avoiding the long layover in Chicago. I requested that they give me the morning flights as they scheduled, but on the following day. I was told that changes can only be for the same day as the original flight. I pointed out that they were the ones who made the changes first, and that there was no way I could make the flight they gave me, due to their schedules THEY couldn't get me home the same day, PLUS I now had the added expense of a hotel, AND losing a day's pay. The young man made the changes I requested and I thanked him for helping. I plan to keep tabs on the situation, though.

Robin

I have had flight schedule changes since I booked my flights for August, 2006 to Jacksonville. I am flying Delta and luckily I took the advice of fellow posters and made reservations for the day before leaving on the ship so the flight changes did not make that much of a difference.

I forgot to mention that my husband talked to a few people at work who have had schedule changes as well. We're arriving the day before the cruise anyway, so that isn't a big deal. Staying over a day means we can still get our afternoon in San Juan.

Robin

Yep, it totally stinks when the airlines do this to you!! I have had it happen MANY times - this last cruise in particular the flight times (both there and back) changed at least three or four times (that I noticed).

Thankfully, I too, always go in a day or three ;) early and leave the day after the cruise. I have time to play with...but none the less, I picked my particular flight times for a reason and don't like it when they change them on me!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Don't just re-check the times either, if you have seat assignments (when booking online). They occasionally change equipment as well and that can screw up your seats.

Last year, American changed the type of plane and when it assigned new seats to us, it put me and my 13 year old nephew in different rows on different sides of the plane. There were no seats left to choose from so I had to call them and ask them to move us and put us together. They balked saying they had no more seats available to assign until the day of the flight, until I explained to the supervisor that I was flying with a minor who was my responsibility and it was unacceptable that he should be sitting elsewhere instead of next to me which is why I booked early. They found the seats.

Laura

Fllight changes in the airline industry are now quite common and you are wise in advising others to monitor their flights. Sometimes airlines will notify you if they make changes and other times they do not.

In general, if a schedule change involves an hour or more, you should be able to make changes without penalty. It is also wise to do your homework ahead of time and make suggestions to the reservations agent

Another CAUTION about those flight changes...

We flew American this past March to get to our cruise port. Nothing bad to say about American Airlines just a heads up.

We booked our airfare in October and received a call sometime in January that the flight had changed, no big deal but I asked her to email me the new itinerary since she went over it so quick. I'm a hands on type of gal and would rather have it in print. Several weeks went by and I never received an email..probably was sent accidently to junk.

This is the imprtant part so if you don't take time to read the whole thing JUST READ THIS: I called to ask them to send a new email but went over it thoroughly with the agent before I hung up. She mentioned that I was the only one on the reservation which was not true, the DH would be flying with me.

In the transfer to the new flights they had inadvertantly dropped him as a passenger...ooops. Stuff happens... Had we not caught it then...who knows what would have happened day of departure. A headache and a few palpitations if nothing else.

MAKE SURE YOU CONFIRM ALL PASSENGERS, not just schedule changes.:eek:

Somebody else mentioned seat assignments. I have a co-worker who's flying to Orlando to do the Mickeyworld experience with her kids. Since she booked her flights in March, the flight times have changed 4 times (she's going in June). The time changes aren't much -- up to 15 minutes one way or the other, but everytime, her seat assignment disappears. For anyone traveling with kids, make sure you're keeping tabs on it, otherwise you may get to the airport without any assigned seats and have to try and straighten it out at the airport.

I just checked my Alaska flights yesterday and they too have changed. I booked in February for August and anticipated changes, but I figured the airlines would notify me; they did not! I had coordinated my flights with my mom's since she flies out of Orlando and I fly out of Reagan in DC. I called immediately and the girl that answered worked with me to insure we arrive and depart around the same time. Only problem now is that we have to overnight on our way home now before flying out of Seattle. I plan to check every week until we leave in case this happens again.

4 years ago we were flying UAL to SFO for our honeymoon, my DH and I were on seperate reservations, but were supposed to be linked b/c we were traveling together. They changed the plane type and BAMM one of us was in the front of the plane the other on the opposite side in the back. I explained (at the airport) that we just got married and would not accept anything other than sitting together. It took some juggling but they got it done.

MAKE SURE YOU CONFIRM ALL PASSENGERS, not just schedule changes.:eek:
Absolutely GREAT ADVICE!!!

Friends of ours travel quite frequently and know to keep an eye on all things...when she went to check on their flight to Hawaii (from MN)...Things had of course changed...but to the Ridiculous point that three of the family members were on ONE flight, and the last family member was a completely DIFFERENT flight all together!!!! :eek: It took several hours on the phone for her to get THAT straightened out!!!! But at least the family could make that long flight together!!

When my mom and I flew to Miami in December, I had taken great pains to insure that she was flying from STL to CLT and then we would fly from CLT to MIA together. And then coming back, we would do the same. The flights changed 3 times. Always putting her on a different flight back from Miami (at least they kept the one going down the same). We were trying to get her a long layover in CLT so she could see her grandkids. After the second time they changed her to a different flight I left it alone. It wasn't worth spending 2 hours on the phone trying to explain to an agent WHY she wanted a 6 hour layover in Charlotte.

Since the airline has made a drastic time change to your itinerary, just tell them you can't possibly make that flight, since you are on a cruise, and you wont' be off the ship before 9:00. (or at least I wasn't off then, main deck) Tell them you want the closest flight to 2:00. They should honor it, since it was their fault.

Usually, if you book online, you'll get email confirmation that your flights have changed. I did with United. My flight times were both pushed back 30 minutes, so not a drastic change considering....

And speaking of which, I need to get going here. My flight leaves in about 4 and half hours. :D

Usually, if you book online, you'll get email confirmation that your flights have changed. I did with United. My flight times were both pushed back 30 minutes, so not a drastic change considering....

And speaking of which, I need to get going here. My flight leaves in about 4 and half hours. :D

This isn't necessarily true. Booking online does not guarantee that you will get emails if your flight changes. It is better to be proactive and not assume that they will notify you in case of changes.

We are flying Delta in June and I checked our reservations Sunday when doing our FunPass. Our flight times had changed also. We are flying in on the day of the cruise...I know it is better to fly in early, but it was just not possible. The times are only about :20 minutes different but our seats show they are not assigned. Does anyone know if I can reassign them online through delta.com? Thanks!

You have to call Delta and they will get your seat assignments back for you. Apparently they aren't really gone, they just don't show up until they have confirmed the changes. We have had many changes in our flights to Rome since we booked last August. I check once a week and call if necessary to make our seat assignments reappear. As soon as they type into the computer that you're aware of the changes your seats will show back up. Our actual seat assignments have never been changed.

I booked on-line with American last year and our flights changed the day we returned home. I don't remember if I received an e-mail but had been checking flights to be sure a couple of times a week. Our flight was bumped to 11:30 a.m., and thought it was too tight for a Port Canaveral cruise flying out of Orlando. I called American and they changed the flight with no problem or fee. Best advice is to watch your reservation and check at least once a week.

Flying to SJ out of Cleveland this coming Feb. I always check flights and notice the Red lettering advising our flight home was changed. For the good from noon till 1:00 which will be nice going out of SJ. As the man and I were speaking on the phone, I said I was glad our outgoing flight wasn't changed, he said flying from Cleveland to Houston to SJ--it was a direct flight Cleve. to SJ. Luckily enough time we changed it and flying from Cleve. to Newark, down to SJ. We will arrive at 2 p.m SJ time, and if we wouldn't have checked we would have arrived around 10 p.m. from Houston. Luckily going 3 days early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, it totally stinks when the airlines do this to you!! I have had it happen MANY times - this last cruise in particular the flight times (both there and back) changed at least three or four times (that I noticed).

Pardon me while I stick up for the airlines on this one. You all want to book your flights out a year or more in advance, and then want everything cast in stone. I also read here how people gripe about the limited time window that Southwest has for reservations....that's the flip side of the schedule change game -- they have very few changes, but they also operate on a much shorter time frame. Well, you can't have it both ways.

Airlines make a schedule, then adapt it to meet changing conditions. Load factors rise and fall, demand shifts and the logistical ballet of moving aluminum and staff around the world never ends. They don't like having to switch pax from one flight to another - it's more labor-intensive work for them. But it does happen.

If you are the personality type that REALLY doesn't want changes, book a week or two before your flight. You will find availability - trust me. It might not be at that perfect time that you like. And you won't find it for $200. It will be more like $1500 in full-fare coach or first. But, you won't have to worry about those nasty airlines changing things on you.

The keys to managing this:

1) Access your reservation online at the airline's website. This is easily done even if you made your booking with Expedia/Travelocity if you have a) the record locator of the PNR (Passenger Name Record) - a 6 character code, and b) put your frequent flyer number in the PNR. This gives a double means of accessing your record (which is why even the once a year flyer should have a FF account with the airline they are flying).

2) Check your reservations regularly online. See that the flight numbers have remained the same, the times are the same (or within a few minutes), the aircraft has remained the same (if it changes, often seat assignments are scrambled) and your seat assignments are the same. Should take less than 5 minutes online.

3) If there is a small change in time, don't sweat it!! It's probably less than the usual variance of arrival/departure times you'll experience. And you don't need new itineraries from the airline for those kind of changes.

4) If anything else changes, see if the changes work for you. If so, don't bother the airline. If there is a connection that was 1 hour and is now 2 1/2 hours - does the overall picture still work. If so, stick with what you have. Often those longer connections are a blessing - allowing you time to rest, have meals and not run through the concourse.

5) If it doesn't work, see if the website allows you to make changes yourself. Seat assigments often fit this category of "fix".

6) If you can't fix it yourself, call and get it changed. If the changes are significant, the airline has a responsibility to either fix it to your satisfaction or refund your money. Now, if you can't get a new ticket for that same price, then I would suggest a conciliatory, cooperative approach to get new flights.

7) If you were waiting on hold for a long time, blame the people who just jumped to #6 jamming up the phone lines. If you don't like long waits, call either early in the morning or late in the evening. Call volumes are down then. Note that Alaska closes their reservation phone lines at midnight Pacific time.

8) Acceptance that sometimes you just are out of luck - you have to stay another day or leave home at 0 dark thirty. Sometimes it just works out that way...it's called life.

These are the tips of someone who has a couple million FF miles under his belt - they'll work for you too.

Archived