Bad Celebrity -now charging for shuttle

marblemel

$8 per person? Also, can you get the tickets ahead of time or just at the shuttle. Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt - a previous poster on this thread, who has just come back from a Celebrity European cruise, said:

Lots of passengers did not pay before the day and then there were long lines for tickets at the busses.

Does anyone know the cost of the airport to dock shuttle in Venice?

We used the local bus from Piazzale Roma to get to the airport, but you can take a land or water taxi between the airport and the Marittima cruise terminal.

Here are a few links to recent posts on the Europe Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=348285

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=349204

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=338090&highlight=marittima

I was in the Millennium on August 2005 et at that moment shuttles were free in all the Mediterranean ports, at least in Civittavechia and Athens (here unnecesary due to short distance from the ship). However, in Barcelona the shuttle from the port terminal to Columbus Monument in the city is not provided by Celebrity but by the port and has never been free: it costs 5 euro (6 $).

May be other Mediterranean ports are doing the same that Barcelonas's and are providing shuttle services and charging for them without ship shuttles concurrence.

In Saint Petersburg, in the Baltic, there is no shuttle bus provided neither by Celebrity nor by the port. Yo are compelled to take an excursion from the ship or an authorized excursion company authorized by to port to pick clientes from the ship. Otherwise the only way to leave the ship is by port taxis to port gate and ther another taxi to the city.

That is what I was wondering; does the Port put the charge on using the buses? And, do they restrict you from walking through the port area to the gates? If it is the cruise line that is something else.

I'd also like to know about the Baltics. If this is happening there too it could get quite expensive just getting to the gate in each port for a family of 4. I wouldn't be too happy about having to pay $32.00 to get to the main entrance.:(

Is this charge for a round trip ticket? $16 to get from the gates and back is ridiculous. If this is the charge for the Celebrity shuttle from the pier to the center of town or some similar location (at least where their shuttles took us in the past) and back, it is at least competitive with a taxi.

Jerry

Is this charge for a round trip ticket? $16 to get from the gates and back is ridiculous. If this is the charge for the Celebrity shuttle from the pier to the center of town or some similar location (at least where their shuttles took us in the past) and back, it is at least competitive with a taxi.

Jerry

The two posters who have experienced these charges mentioned that the charge is for a shuttle to get from the ship to the gate at the port entrance, not to the city centre. Hopefully the $8. mentioned by the OP covers a return ticket?

In many ports, you can just walk off the ship, through the terminal and out onto the street. No shuttle required. I recall that this was the case in most ports in the Baltic. But in the Med, there are a couple of ports that you can't walk out of the port (Civitavecchia & Livorno).

This thread is a whole lot of noise about nothing

I thought that all threads were that ... you mean there is some 'substance' in some of these threads?:D

Actually, another poster who just came back gave specifics on port charges, so there is some truth to the fact that charges are being implemented for shuttles.

I'd also like to know about the Baltics. If this is happening there too it could get quite expensive just getting to the gate in each port for a family of 4. I wouldn't be too happy about having to pay $32.00 to get to the main entrance.:(

Sorry to disappoint you, SF, but my shore excursion guide for our June 17 Baltic cruise on the Connie notes the following:

Many ports are not located in the city center. For the convenience of guests, a shuttle bus service has been arranged (for a nominal fee) in those ports that are located approximately 1 mile or more away from the closest city center and do not have adequate local transportation available. This service is set up to complement local transportation, and guests are welcome to utilize local services, when and where available. Details of which port will have a shuttle service will be advised on board the ship.

Most everything has its price. I just wonder if the shuttle is round trip, or if it's charged per trip.

mcnyc:

Thanks for letting me know. I think it's a "rip off" for them to charge $8.00 each way if that is in fact the case. Would much rather take a taxi as I'm sure it would be cheaper for four people. Guess I'll just have to wait until next month to see for myself.

Please note it is NOT $8 each way but $8 return. We have just got off Millennium and believe me we had to pay.

Leesre - it was $8. per person in 3 port and so, with two people, it added $48. to your total trip?

It will be interesting to hear back from those on Millennium now to see which ports it applies to between Barcelona - Venice.

A second call to captains club and still they state they have no information on Charging for shuttle other than to and from the airport.

Tell us something that we don't already know (the Celebrity reps are always last to know .... they really should read CC more often to stay current with what's happening on the ships :D )

I am interested in the return our our Baltic cruisers. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on this. If their is indeed a charge for the shuttle service, I am hopeful the shuttles drop us off at good locations (like last year) since many of us are doing the Baltic locations on our own.

Kurt

I found this post on the "Connections" board, someone just off the Constellation yesterday.

It would appear they are charging for shuttles at some ports.

Unable to dock at Dover due to rough sea conditions so we docked at Harwich instead, coaches were laid on to airports, London and Dover, people boarding for today's cruise were bussed from Dover to Harwich so the cruise would have started about 4 hrs. late.It was a great cruise on a great ship. Shuttle buses were laid on at $6 per person each way at destinations apart from Tallinn Estonia which was free. Warnemunde was easily walkable 100 yds. from the ship with trains and boats to Rostock.

Cheers, MikeL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeL

Unable to dock at Dover due to rough sea conditions so we docked at Harwich instead, coaches were laid on to airports, London and Dover, people boarding for today's cruise were bussed from Dover to Harwich so the cruise would have started about 4 hrs. late.It was a great cruise on a great ship. Shuttle buses were laid on at $6 per person each way at destinations apart from Tallinn Estonia which was free. Warnemunde was easily walkable 100 yds. from the ship with trains and boats to Rostock.

Cheers, MikeL.

Well that STINKS. We are a family of 3. 3 x 6 = $18 x 2 = $36 just for one port. We had planned on doing at least 3 on our own, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen and we don't have plans for Klaipeda yet. That would cost us $36 x 4 = $144 just for shuttle buses!!? That's ridiculous. I don't mind paying something if they are giving you a ride into the center of town and making it more convient for you. I think $3 per person each way is more than fair.

Hi,

I moved away from P&O cruises because of the increasing numbers of 'silly little charges' being introduced onboard their ships. You even pay for room service onboard now! What a shame Celebrity is heading in the same direction. I go on cruises for the almost all inclusive nature of them. Sadly now its becoming more like staying in a hotel, than going on a cruise. I guess I get my own back tho..... I dont gamble or drink and do very few tours. I am not tight, I just would prefer to pay $30 more for my holiday, rather than keep paying silly little charges for things such as shuttle busses.

Ian :D

We are a family of 3. 3 x 6 = $18 x 2 = $36 just for one port. We had planned on doing at least 3 on our own, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen

Anne Maria - When we did our Baltic cruise, we were able to use local transportation, or walk from the port into the downtown areas for the 3 ports you mention. Hopefully the shuttle is optional and not required - if so, you could take a local bus, walk or probably take a cab for less than the shuttle cost for 3 people.

Archived