Bad Celebrity -now charging for shuttle

marblemel

Hi all. A new warning for those cruising in the near future.I am currently on the Millenium and they have started charging for the shuttle service from the ship to the entrance to the port. Essentially, they are holding crusiers hostage on board unless you use one of the ship's excursions. There is no way to get to the port entrance except to pay $8 to take the shuttle that was supposed to be free. How rude! What's next- will they start charging for the tender to go ashore in the ports where we don't dock? I chose Celebrity, one of the higher end lines - this is not worthy of them.

I don't know where you have been but we have been sailing w/Celebrity since 1993 and have always paid for the shuttle transfers from the airport to the dock and back again. The price was depending on the distance between the 2 points. If they have been free up till now, I demand a refund! ;-)

I don't know where you have been but we have been sailing w/Celebrity since 1993 and have always paid for the shuttle transfers from the airport to the dock and back again. The price was depending on the distance between the 2 points. If they have been free up till now, I demand a refund! ;-)

I believe to OP was refering to tranfer between the ship and the dock, not the airport and the ship.

That sucks! If they don't stop nickel and diming passengers they may find themselves with lots of empty cabins. I like it when everything down to tips are included. We recently went on the Xpedition and it was all inclusive including the bar, what a pleasure. Tips were included and the staff wouldn't take extra. That's a class act.

On Millennium in the Med last year, the ports requiring shuttles were Livorno, Civitavecchia, Mykonos, Dubrovnik, and Venice (a water shuttle to St. Mark's Square). In Mykonos, it's only about a half mile bus ride, so hopefully they aren't charging there. Last year there was no charge for any of the shuttles.

It's one more thing to budget for, but still worth it to do the ports on your own if that's what you prefer (which we do.)

It would have helped if you had known about the charge in advance.

That sucks! If they don't stop nickel and diming passengers they may find themselves with lots of empty cabins. I like it when everything down to tips are included. We recently went on the Xpedition and it was all inclusive including the bar, what a pleasure. Tips were included and the staff wouldn't take extra. That's a class act.

Karyn - I think that the pricing on the Xpedition cruise reflects the "all inclusive" features.

Marblemel:

That IS outrageous! Probably only a few hundred feet,huh? And charging $8.00!!??

Was it a restricted area that MADE you take a shuttle instead of just walking?

Hope the rest of your trip is to your liking!

Call me naive but I thought you walked off the ship at ports (if not tendering). What shuttle is the OP referring to?

There are some ports in Europe where the ship docks quite a distance away from the actual port entrance or terminal - Madeira was one that I know of. It is a long walk just to leave the pier area to get to cabs, buses, and even your private tours as they are not allowed in the docking area. These shuttles were usually free as they only went from the ship to the port entrance.

After reading, the OP post this morning I decided to call Celebrity ( I had other business too and now was a good opportunity) and was told, “without looking at her account there would be no way of verifying what the charge was for”

However, at this time they do not charge PAX to go from the ship to port entrance … but still charge of course for shuttles from ship to the airlines.

As I understand it, the port authority at Civitavecchia run shuttle buses from the quayside(s) to the harbour gates (which can be quite a long way, and not suitable for dragging luggage along), and these are free.

After reading, the OP post this morning I decided to call Celebrity ( I had other business too and now was a good opportunity) and was told, “without looking at her account there would be no way of verifying what the charge was for”

However, at this time they do not charge PAX to go from the ship to port entrance … but still charge of course for shuttles from ship to the airlines.

Joey - different info from the customer service rep than what the OP posted :confused:

She seems pretty definite about having to pay to get from the ship to the port entrance ... she didn't say which port, but they were in Livorno yesterday and Civitavecchia today (both ports require taking a shuttle bus to get out of.)

It will be interesting to get an update from the OP to find out which ports the charge applies in.

Karyn - I think that the pricing on the Xpedition cruise reflects the "all inclusive" features.

I'm sure it does and it's well worth it. Cruising used to be all inclusive and now it's more like Half inclusive. There was a time they didn't charge for soda in the dining room but did charge outside the dining room.

Joey - different info from the customer service rep than what the OP posted :confused:

I agree, my post was just recap of my conversation with Celebrity in regards to the OP's statement. Nothing more or less...... one of the two are incorrect.. time will show which one it is ..:D

smooth seas

We have just got off the Millennium on the transatlantic cruise and yes they CHARGE for shuttles. I do not mean the ones from Airport to ship and vice verser but the ones from the ship when it docks to the dock gates.

It was $8 in Lisbon. $8 in Velencia and £5 in Malaga.

I can understand the two at $8 becuase it is along way but the $5 in Malaga was a joke you could walk from ship to dock gates.

There were alot complaining about this as before they were free but now you pay.

Lots of passengers did not pay before the day and then there were long lines for tickets at the busses.

Please be warned not more free bees.

Cruising used to be all inclusive and now it's more like Half inclusive. There was a time they didn't charge for soda in the dining room but did charge outside the dining room.

I have only been cruising since 2000, but it seems to me that the prices of the cruises have come down (due to competition) - and that extra costs are tacked on for certain services/items. One way or another the cruise lines have to cover their costs and I can't see it happening with low cruise fares and lots of "freebies".

Re the shuttle service, if you look at it from the perspective of someone who pays the high cost of the ship's excursions or private tours, they probably wonder why the cruise line is subsidizing the costs of those doing shore excursions on their own. Getting passengers out of ports such as Civitavecchia and Livorno must add a huge expense for the cruise line, with buses in port all day long to shuttle people back and forth from the ship to the entrance and back. I know that walking isn't an option in some ports - but there is a cost associated with transferring people, and if the cruiseline is paying for it, then they have to recoup their money somehow. It doesn't seem fair to have that cost covered by all passengers in their cruise fare, when a good percentage of them aren't even using the shuttles. (I use them, but if I have to pay $8.00 to do so, then so be it.)

The question I have, who runs the shuttle service. Is it a private company for the port or is it a contracted company for Celebrity?

It makes a difference.

In the ports that we took shuttles, there were designated "Celebrity" shuttles, so my guess would be that Celebrity contracts it out. But in some places (eg. Civitavecchia) there was also a Port Shuttle.

Please help me understand. They are now charging for a bus ride from where the ship docks to the port city itself.

So, if I have a private tour booked for Rome, Florence and Naples, will my driver be able to drive right up to the ship?

Thanks for your help.

mfabz:

The OP doesn't mention "city"..... only the area from the ship to the entrance to the port costing $8.00.

I would assume that you would then catch your excursion or taxi outside that entrance.

Wonder how long this will be going on? :confused: Hope it doesn't catch on in the Caribbean!!:eek:

Please help me understand. They are now charging for a bus ride from where the ship docks to the port city itself.

So, if I have a private tour booked for Rome, Florence and Naples, will my driver be able to drive right up to the ship?

Thanks for your help.

Your driver should be able to pick you up right at the cruise ship ...just as they have in the past. It sounds like the only change is that there will be a fee for the shuttle bus for those doing the ports on their own (e.g. heading to Rome or Florence by train, or staying in the port city.) The buses are used in ports where the cruise ships dock in industrial areas and walking out to the street is either too far and/or too dangerous. For the ports that you mention, shuttles are used in Civitavecchia and Livorno.

Archived