Certificate of Live Birth (N. Carolina)

My BIN (age 13 years old) has a Certificate of Live Birth that was requested last by his mother in Jan. 1998. Will he be able to board the ship with it? It has the raised seal on it. I've waited on the phone seemed like forever with the NC Vital Records for answers.

Thanks for the answers.

... when are you sailing? If it's after Dec 31 '06, a birth certificate, even with raised seal, won't be enough, he'll need a passport. [not sure if the trip listed in your signature is the one he's going on]

Not sure what a BIN is, but if he's not your child, it is advisable to get a notarized letter with his parents' permission to take him on the trip -- and to give you the authority to authorize medical treatment if necessary.

... when are you sailing? If it's after Dec 31 '06, a birth certificate, even with raised seal, won't be enough, he'll need a passport. [not sure if the trip listed in your signature is the one he's going on]

Not sure what a BIN is, but if he's not your child, it is advisable to get a notarized letter with his parents' permission to take him on the trip -- and to give you the authority to authorize medical treatment if necessary.

Good points! I didn't even think to ask when you'd be cruising.

Everything changes come the end of the year, so if you plan on doing anymore cruising, you'll need to get a passport.

I take it this is for the Enchantment Western Caribbean cruise referenced in your signature?

The person you need to call for a final "blessing" is your TA, not the records bureau.

But, YES, this is the LAST YEAR US citizens will be able to cruise without passports. His raised seal birth certificate should suffice. Even though a photo ID is not required by RCI (see below), I think it's a good thing for young people to carry on his person. For a non-driving 13-year-old, the photo ID could be satisfied by a school-issued photo ID card or something you have made at your local Wal*Mart or other foto stop, which is even better because you could put emergency contact information on it.

Here are the RCI rules. Please NOTE the Family Legal Documents section at the end in case it applies to your BIN.

**********From the RCI website*****************

What forms of ID are required for minors?

Before Leaving Home:

Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship.

Caution: The requirements described below are either required by government regulations or reflect Royal Caribbean travel policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify all travel documents and obtain and have available when necessary the appropriate valid travel documents such

as passports, visas, inoculation and family legal documents required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries. For your protection,

we recommend that your passport expiration date not occur within six (6) months of the sailing termination date.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. If as a result of your lack of proper documentation, a fine or other cost is incurred by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., you agree to indemnify Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. for such expenses. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Important: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizens: A passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your check-in formalities as well as your departure procedures with government officials (if you would like to find out how to obtain a passport, you can do so at the U.S.Department of State Passport Services and Information website). In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. Visas are not required for U.S. citizens.

Family Legal Documents:

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

I asked the TA and she told me to call the NC Vital Records. Anyway, I finally got through to a Rep. and she told me that since the last request of the Certificate of Live Birth was requested in 1998, we will need to order another copy of it because they are only valid if requested within the last 5 years. So, I ordered one through vitalchek.com and after placing the order if everything goes well, it will be shipped no later than May 31st! I certainly hopes my MIN gets it in time via UPS before we leave. She may have to end up going to N. Carolina and getting one in person. I agree with the student id as well for kids under the age of 16 years old. I think this will be the first and last family vacation! There are 16 of us going and only 3 of us have been on a cruise before (DH, DS and myself). What a headache

I asked the TA and she told me to call the NC Vital Records. Anyway, I finally got through to a Rep. and she told me that since the last request of the Certificate of Live Birth was requested in 1998, we will need to order another copy of it because they are only valid if requested within the last 5 years. So, I ordered one through vitalchek.com and after placing the order if everything goes well, it will be shipped no later than May 31st! I certainly hopes my MIN gets it in time via UPS before we leave. She may have to end up going to N. Carolina and getting one in person. I agree with the student id as well for kids under the age of 16 years old. I think this will be the first and last family vacation! There are 16 of us going and only 3 of us have been on a cruise before (DH, DS and myself). What a headache

I don't mean to sound like a meanie weanie but a birth certificate is good forever. If you have it you have it. They do not expire. Do you have the birth certificate with the raised seal? Why are you buying a new one? I use my birth certificate that my parents got for me when I was adopted. I've had it for over 40 years now and it's perfectly valid. They do not run out.

I don't mean to sound like a meanie weanie but a birth certificate is good forever. If you have it you have it. They do not expire. Do you have the birth certificate with the raised seal? Why are you buying a new one? I use my birth certificate that my parents got for me when I was adopted. I've had it for over 40 years now and it's perfectly valid. They do not run out.

Nliedel, I don't think you sound like a meanie weanie:) I don't know what's the deal is with the certificate of live birth that was last requested in 1998, but the NC Vital Records said that we needed to order another one.

I can see and feel the raised seal (have no idea what it says) but beside the seal it says, "This is to certify that the foregoing BIRTH CERTIFICATE is a true and correct copy of same as recorded in the Office of Register of Feeds of Edgecombe County. Witness my hand and official seal, this the 7th day of January, 1998. Judy W Cole, Register of Deeds of Edgecombe County By: Kimberly A Hoff, Deputy" I paid $55.00 for the new one and I will be on pins and needles hoping and praying it comes on time. I giving it until June 5th and if we don't have the new one by then, my MIN will have to make a trip to NC from MD

Wow, you are giving us an education on North Carolina law! The idea that a birth certificate "expires" is new to me, too.

You will note in the stuff I quoted from RCI that the cruiseline probably won't care...they say "original, notarized copy or certified copy."

With that said, getting the lad a "current" one per NC law will pave the way for him to get a passport next year in case the federal government *is* picky about NC-issued birth certificates being "not expired."

Because, you know you are getting all of these newbies hooked on cruising, so they'll need passports to go again!!!!

Good luck, and have fun. They are lucky to have the experienced cruiser to handle all of the details for them. :)

I've never heard of a birth certificate with an expiration date. I think you're being given bad information. Look at the one you have. Does it have an expiration date on it? If not then the woman you talked to is full of beans. I was a TA for years and I've heard it all, but never anything like this.

Wow, you are giving us an education on North Carolina law! The idea that a birth certificate "expires" is new to me, too.

You will note in the stuff I quoted from RCI that the cruiseline probably won't care...they say "original, notarized copy or certified copy."

With that said, getting the lad a "current" one per NC law will pave the way for him to get a passport next year in case the federal government *is* picky about NC-issued birth certificates being "not expired."

Because, you know you are getting all of these newbies hooked on cruising, so they'll need passports to go again!!!!

Good luck, and have fun. They are lucky to have the experienced cruiser to handle all of the details for them. :)

Artemis, you know they say never say never. But I'm saying NEVER again will I take a family cruise or vacation for that matter!:eek: Whew, I feel better now:) Anyway, I just called Royal Caribbean and the rep told me that as long as it's from the State of NC, he will be fine. I told him that it said Certificate of Live Birth and it has the raised seal. Apparently the rep at NC Vital Records don't know what she's talking about. Just because the request of the Certificate was done in 1998, what's the big deal that it's not in the last 5 year period?!

I'm not an expert but I like to know the pros and cons, ins and outs of things. I've been using cruise critic since 2002 for information.

Hey RoofingPrincess - can you tell me how to get the tickerfactory to work in my signature? After I pasted, it came up as lines of the link and whatnot. Thanks for your help!

Artemis, you know they say never say never. But I'm saying NEVER again will I take a family cruise or vacation for that matter!:eek: Whew, I feel better now:) Anyway, I just called Royal Caribbean and the rep told me that as long as it's from the State of NC, he will be fine. I told him that it said Certificate of Live Birth and it has the raised seal. Apparently the rep at NC Vital Records don't know what she's talking about. Just because the request of the Certificate was done in 1998, what's the big deal that it's not in the last 5 year period?!

I'm not an expert but I like to know the pros and cons, ins and outs of things. I've been using cruise critic since 2002 for information.

I'm glad DH and I got our passports last August. We want to see the world (at least some of it):)

:eek: I was shocked at the cost!!! $55 for a vital statistic record? :eek: I believe in VA it is like $9-$12. I would cancel that order and try again. A passport is less than $100. Good Luck. By the way my Mom was born in Isreal and had to bring her original Birth Certificate (In Hebrew) and her citizenship/naturalization papers too.

Thanks, KAJ. I have always thought Brother- In- Law was BIL and Mother-In-Law was MIL. I am still learning these abbreviations, I guess???

Hope you have a great cruise!!

I've never heard of a birth certificate with an expiration date. I think you're being given bad information.
I agree. Kaj, I'm from NC and have used the original certificate of live birth (with raised seal) for both of my children. The last time was in April, which puts one of the Certificates of Live Birth at 13 years old. On my last cruise, 11 of the people from NC used COLB, some much older than 13 years. Also, RCCL/US Govt will accept the wallet sized lamented version if it has an official ink/stamp seal under the lamenate (3 of our NC folks used that).

As posted above, that all changes at the end of 2006 though: http://travel.state.gov/

Kaj,

Hope you get the birth cert in time. The cost does sound a bit high to me too, And I also have never heard of a birth certificate expiring, the person expiring, YES, but not the certificate.

So for now relax, and know that you will have a wonderful time once you set foot onboard and so will your family. I think a family cruise vacation is great and it allows you plenty of quality time together, like at dinnertime and seadays. And you will probably want your family to cruise together again. Maybe the first time sailing together is the hardest, so just prepare yourself to answer lots of their questions and be patient, after all you are the experienced cruiser and after their first cruise they will all know what to do for the second one. So relax and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Annieeee

Wow! I'm from NC and have never heard such a thing! Wonder what the lady you talked had to drink for lunch :)

I used mine which was older than 5 years many times and then got both DD & I passports using mine that was considerably older than 5 years and hers as you described the one they have. I only paid about $10 or $12 when I got a copy of her BC about 7 years ago.

Wow! I'm from NC and have never heard such a thing! Wonder what the lady you talked had to drink for lunch :)

I was drinking water when I read this and it almost came out my nose when I laughed.

I've been to the State of North Carolina's website (the kids are home so I can't concentrate to write today. Just goofing off) and I can find NOTHING that says a birth certificate expires. I'm thinking this chick was wrong.

My husband was born in North Carolina and we've used his original Certificate of Live Birth issued in the 1950's every time we cruised. In fact he recently had a passport issued using this. All it had to have was the raised seal.

By the way, we ordered new copies of our birth certificates a few months ago just to have backups. We live in Virginia, just north of the NC line. My birth certificate arrived from Hawaii in 2 weeks. His took 8 weeks to get here from NC. I think they walked it over the state line to us!!

:eek: I was shocked at the cost!!! $55 for a vital statistic record? :eek: I believe in VA it is like $9-$12. I would cancel that order and try again. A passport is less than $100. Good Luck. By the way my Mom was born in Isreal and had to bring her original Birth Certificate (In Hebrew) and her citizenship/naturalization papers too.

The actual birth certificate is $30.00 and VitalCheck Shipping/Handling $25.45. I'm on the phone now to cancel the order.

Archived