New Spirit itinerary - nightime at Great Stirrup?

This week, the Spirit just started it's new alternating 6/8 day NYC to the Florida/Bahamas itineraries. Last Sunday 5/14, it embarked on the six day variant, which includes an "overnight stay" at Great Stirrup Cay (ship arrived there at 7:30pm on Wednesday, stayed overnight and departed at 2:00pm yesterday.)

A report my travel agent got from his contact at NCL (who in turn heard from the Cruise Director on the Spirit) implied there was time ashore at Great Stirrup Cay on Wednesday night, and that it included a "beach party" and limbo contests.

Curious to hear of anyone else has wind of this? A party at night on a cruise line private island is a new concept, and sounds like a lot of fun!:)

We are on the 6/18 sailing and assumed we wouldn't go ashore until the next morning. That would be great to be able to go over in the evening.

Hopefully someone on the first sailing of this itinerary will post and let us know.

So excited for our first NCL cruise!!!

Yup, heard the same thing. You are in for a heck of a night party on GSC. We'll hear more about it next wk - though we don't stop at the private island - about 120 of us are on the new 8 night itinerary Swizzlers cruise.:D

Look for a full report!

However, I highly doubt we will be tendered over the night we arrive in Stirrup Cay. Nowthat I think about it. How long will it take to tender all the passengers to the island and back to the ship? I don't think the beach is equipped with all the lighthing etc for night time either. :(

However, I highly doubt we will be tendered over the night we arrive in Stirrup Cay. Nowthat I think about it. How long will it take to tender all the passengers to the island and back to the ship? I don't think the beach is equipped with all the lighthing etc for night time either. :(

I believe this is a FIRST this year.

Will be interesting to read the reviews.

Just remember..ALL of the passengers will not go over to GSC in the evening.

Perhaps they will run tenders all through the evening and the following day?

If they are doing evening tenders, they must have torches ready for the beach.

I've been watching this itinerary for a friend who is taking her first cruise.

An evening beach party at GSC sounds great!

Enjoy:)

If they are doing evening tenders, they must have torches ready for the beach.

Enjoy:)

Oooo. Then it will be like Survivor, and they can all sit around and vote each other off the island while having their torches snuffed out. Cool.

Sounds great - but surprising:eek:

Having been on that island more times then I would like to remember it is not a place that you want passengers wandering around in the dark.

Somehow I fear a thread titled

How Could NCL be SOOOOOO STUPID:eek:

They took us to a deserted island full of rocks. We wandered off and my DX was climbing on the rocks in the dark fell and ......... My other DX decided to go to the end of the beach and swim all alone. We are still looking for them:eek:

NCL will pay and pay for allowing us to be sooooo stupid :rolleyes: Anyone else want to join the class action:D

NCL will need to have the area surrounded with crew to keep the few stupid passengers from doing stupid drunken things....

Talked to DD. She said the tenders ran til 11:30pm. No swimming, but food, music and a limbo with fire entertainer. She said it was well lit with lights strung up and electric type lanterns. They said they really enjoyed it, especially as it was about the only time it didn't rain on their cruise.

I just got back from the spirit today, yes, we did go to Great Stirrup Cay on Wednesday. I was the 2nd tender over I think - got there at 8 something (pm). There was a beach party, live music, this limbo guy I think was from Nassau, some people were swimming, you couldn't go in that far it was roped off. It was a lot of fun, last tender left the beach at 11:30pm.

I also just got back from 5/14 - 5/20 Norwegian Spirit, they did indeed have a night time party, tiki lights and light strings provided just enough lighting. They had pizza (they had pizza ovens there!), some desserts and of course the bar was hopping. Bought a $10.00 smoothie, (I only had 3 drinks on the whole cruise) watched them make it in the blender and never saw alcohol put in the blender, they were real busy, so it was futile to bring it to their attention. Can you imagine telling them, "Excuse me, there is no alcohol in my smoothie..." The crowd really did enjoy the entertainment, I think part of it was the joy that it finally was not raining!! It was the first time during the cruise that the weather was cooperating. Last tender was 11:30. My family just enjoyed sitting on the beach watching the sun set. The tender ride to the island was interesting, people were taking pictures of the ship all lit up in the night, capturing a bit of the crowd in the tender and they looked like scenes from The Titanic..... the ship was beautiful all lit up at night.

I also just got back from 5/14 - 5/20 Norwegian Spirit, they did indeed have a night time party, tiki lights and light strings provided just enough lighting. They had pizza (they had pizza ovens there!), some desserts and of course the bar was hopping. Bought a $10.00 smoothie, (I only had 3 drinks on the whole cruise) watched them make it in the blender and never saw alcohol put in the blender, they were real busy, so it was futile to bring it to their attention. Can you imagine telling them, "Excuse me, there is no alcohol in my smoothie..." The crowd really did enjoy the entertainment, I think part of it was the joy that it finally was not raining!! It was the first time during the cruise that the weather was cooperating. Last tender was 11:30. My family just enjoyed sitting on the beach watching the sun set. The tender ride to the island was interesting, people were taking pictures of the ship all lit up in the night, capturing a bit of the crowd in the tender and they looked like scenes from The Titanic..... the ship was beautiful all lit up at night.

Thanks for posting...sounds GREAT:)

Just returned from the 5/14 Spirit - the nighttime party at GSC was quite a nice surprise! It was really cool to tender over and back in the dark and see the beautiful ship all lit up. The party was fun, good food and drinks, and the entertainment was great too - Action Man rules!

The island was even more beautiful in the light than it was at night, another nice surprise. I hope they keep this on the itinerary.

Archived