Celebrity Capt Removed for Drunkness

GMoney

True a pilot goes aboard ship as an advisor to the captain but the pilot directs the course of the vessel. The pilot issues the engine orders, the rudder orders, and all the course changes. While technically, the captain retains responsibility, the pilot is in command for all practical purposes. This is my understanding although I have never been a pilot nor have I ever played one on TV.

I've been on the bridge for many departures, and this is accurate. The pilot's involvement will also depend on how difficult the port is to navigate.

You're kidding I'm sure...the article neither points to another reason for CG being on board, or decribes what it is....

""The captain's actions are totally unacceptable. He has been stripped of his command and ordered off the ship," Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises, said in a release. A Coast-Guard inspector was aboard the Mercury shortly before 2:30 p.m. to follow up on a previous safety violation involving a life-boat lift, Metruck said. The inspector smelled alcohol on the captain's breath and notified staff at Coast Guard headquarters, he said."

Reason? Description?

I think it's there. Did you miss this?

Annie

You're kidding I'm sure...the article neither points to another reason for CG being on board, or decribes what it is....

Not true, read again, here's the excerpt from that Seattle Times article whose URL I pasted into my last post:

>>>A Coast-Guard inspector was aboard the Mercury shortly before 2:30 p.m. to follow up on a previous safety violation involving a life-boat lift, Metruck said. The inspector smelled alcohol on the captain's breath and notified staff at Coast Guard headquarters, he said.<<<

I have been on many bridge depatures also and although the Pilot suggests the captain does what he thinks is best and has the decision.

I have also heard the comments directed toward the Pilot after a zealous Pilot leaves the bridge and they are not very complimentary.

Bottom line is the Captain is always in command of his ship.

don

Sorry, but this is from the article and clearly says he was there for another reason:

"A Coast-Guard inspector was aboard the Mercury shortly before 2:30 p.m. to follow up on a previous safety violation involving a life-boat lift, Metruck said. The inspector smelled alcohol on the captain's breath and notified staff at Coast Guard headquarters, he said.

The Coast Guard didn't identify the captain but said he has no previous alcohol-related citations."

Although I don't expect that many share my position (I'm used to that!)but I abhor the actions he took and shiver at their potential consequences. Nevertheless, I have compassion for the guy, his friends and his family. I am mindful of the saying, there but for the grace of God go I.

While I agree, Michael, I shudder at the potential danger to all of Puget Sound given the large number of vessels of all kinds including large ships and ferries that could have been in danger. Celebrity's policy is that no one can drink within 8 hours of being on duty. The possibility of still having a .08 blood alcohol after 8 hours is not likely (I'm being kind here). Can you imagine the morale issue for the rest of the officers and crew now?

Perhaps it is a good idea to wait until all the FACTS are known before speculating what happened and exactly who was relieved of his duties.

Last time I checked, it was still innocent until proven guilty, unless that has changed in the last few years along with everthing else.

Innocent until proven guilty may be a legal theory, but as a person that cruises often, I'm realistic. "Innocent until proven guilty" also applies to child molesters. But, in picking somebody to babysit my children, I don't use the legal standard of "beyond reasonable doubt," but instead, my standard is "is there any chance whatsoever this person is a child molester?" Big difference between my standard and the legal standard.

My personal standard? I'd feel comfortable cruising with a captain that had a drink, even if it violated Celebrity's policy. What would happen if the captain was at the Captain's reception, had a glass of champaigne, and an emergency developed (think the pirate attack off Africa last year). I'd assume and hope that he would rush to the bridge and assist. I'm sure Celebrity policies would allow him to assist, but that the final decision would rest a "captain in charge" who was sober.

As I'm more familiar with aviation and federal aviation regulations, here is an interesting, albeit useless statistic. Sober pilots have been responsible for many air carrier crashes. Air carrier pilots have been arrested for flying while intoxicated. No intoxicated air carrier pilot has ever been responsible for for a crash. In other words, intoxicated pilots have a better flying record than sober pilots. Doesn't mean I'd want to fly with an intoxicated pilot.

While I agree, Michael, I shudder at the potential danger to all of Puget Sound given the large number of vessels of all kinds including large ships and ferries that could have been in danger. Celebrity's policy is that no one can drink within 8 hours of being on duty. The possibility of still having a .08 blood alcohol after 8 hours is not likely (I'm being kind here). Can you imagine the morale issue for the rest of the officers and crew now?

Elliott Bay itself, Seattle's part of Puget Sound, is incredibly busy. Last night alone, while we were at dockside waiting to watch Mercury leave, the vessel census included:

--water taxi making runs every half an hour across the bay

--at least one anchored freighter

--at least two docked freighters

--four auto ferries making runs at least hourly

--Argosy Cruises' tour boats (at least three) traveling the harbor

--two large sailing yachts that sell rides

--city fireboat

--Coast Guard small patrol boats

--at least three barges, one in transit, two anchored

plus

--two other cruise ships (one left before Mercury, one left after)

Mercury docks at Pier 66/Bell Street Pier, which also is home to a public marina with at least a couple dozen boats of all shapes and sizes moored at any given time.

I really can't believe that some here are dismissive of the captain's violation because his alcohol level was "only" 0.8 as that is the limit for driving a car. Driving your 2000 lb. car is quite different from a 90,000 ton ship with over 3 thousand people aboard. The authorities feel a level of 0.4 should apply when operating a ship. Who are any of us to say that is too strict a level. These rules are made for a reason as is the no drinking for 8 hrs. before beginning a shift.

Challenge the rules all you what if you don't like them. They are still the rules and this guy was, apparently, at twice the legal limit well within the eight hr. time frame of Mercury's departure. Show him sympathy if you like but don't try to white wash it by using words like his level was "only." That shows tremendous disrespect for all the people depending on that captain to provide a safe journey.

I really can't believe that some here are dismissive of the captain's violation because his alcohol level was "only" 0.8 as that is the limit for driving a car. Driving your 2000 lb. car is quite different from a 90,000 ton ship with over 3 thousand people aboard. The authorities feel a level of 0.4 should apply when operating a ship. Who are any of us to say that is too strict a level. These rules are made for a reason as is the no drinking for 8 hrs. before beginning a shift.

Challenge the rules all you what if you don't like them. They are still the rules and this guy was, apparently, at twice the legal limit well within the eight hr. time frame of Mercury's departure. Show him sympathy if you like but don't try to white wash it by using words like his level was "only." That shows tremendous disrespect for all the people depending on that captain to provide a safe journey.

Exactly!!

How times have changed. One of my fondest childhood memories (from the late 1950s/early 1960s) is of accompanying my father to the weekly sailings of the Queen of Bermuda in New York. He worked for the line & often supervised the embarkation of passengers. Afterward we would go aboard the ship for lunch, followed by a pre-sailing "party" in the purser's cabin... I vividly remember the captain, staff captain, & other officers drinking scotch or gin-&-tonics while I sipped a Shirley Temple or two... All very proper & British. No one batted an eyebrow, & I never recall any unfortunate incidents (as far as the ship was concerned--my father was another matter) resulting from these low-key gatherings... I'm certainly not condoning or making light of drinking by anyone in a position of authority--far from it. Just thought I'd share this memory. As I say, times have changed!

(In the age of sail, sailors in the Royal Navy--& in the US Navy too--used to be given a generous daily ration of grog, watered-down rum. And, of an evening, officers used to go through many bottles of wine & port in the officer's mess. Read Patrick O'Brien!)

You are talking about 100 years ago

1914 General Order 99, issued by Josephus Daniels on 1 June, strictly prohibited "the use or introduction for drinking purposes of alcoholic liquors on board any naval vessel, or within any navy yard or station," to take effect on 1 July 1914, thus putting an end to the officers' wine mess.

Last month another foreign flagged ship Captain was arrested in New Orleans. The story: (AP) "New Orleans, LA. - Jim Letten , United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Rear Adm. Robert Duncan, Commander Eighth Coast Guard District and Special Agent in Charge Donald G. Lane of the Coast Guard Criminal Investigative Service (CGIS) Gulf Region, announced the arrest of Yuriy Roshkalyov, captain of the motor vessel Leeds Castle for operating a commercial vessel under the influence of alcohol in violation of Title 46, United States Code, Section 2302. The statute, a Class A misdemeanor which is punishable with up to one (1) year imprisonment, prohibits the operation of a vessel while under the influence of alcohol. Roshkalyov was arrested and removed from the vessel on April 17, 2006.".

Despite the frivolity of Captain's receptions, photo-op's, etc., being a ship captain is serious business governed by maritime law, as well as those of the jurisdictions where the vessel travels. It has long been established that the master/commander is always on-duty, and as such is responsible for everything that happens, or doesn't happen, on the ship.

And I'm out on Puget Sound right now -- keeping an eye open for partying sea captains!

See if I read correctly the Captain was in lock up at King County jail? OK with me. He could flee juristiction.

Good posts here

The

Air carrier pilots
one had me for a second, I read aircraft carrier and almost fell out of my chair. Then realized such. Knew a few pilots that crawled into the cockpit after a rough night in town but

that was in combat, never actually ever saw one with any signs of being "buzed", takes "guts" for a Coast Guardman to call in such. My salute to the

person! That took a bit of courage, if he was wrong his military career could have taken a very bad turn, I know I had to "ground" pilots in Vietnam, if I was wrong my tail was in a serious bind. I "ruined" no flight career for being drunk but spoted medical conditions that cost a few their flight status.

So my salute to that Coast Guard person (as it may very well be a female);

we (Americans) expect that from our military and security forces. Good call in my view a very good move.

Doc

pS

Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity Cruises is noted as firing the Captain, was he not a Royal Carib Exec a few years back? I had some work with the man there and he really impressed me as a professional unique sense of justice and "do the right thing" wa of viewing situations. Oh, the situation involved was one of a very sensitive nature with a Royal Carib contractor;he was most fast in his actions as soon as he saw the facts.

People drink - Captains of ships drink. Cabin stewards drink. Functioning

alcoholics run Fortune 500 companies.

This fine Captain on the Mercury got caught - getting caught was his problem - not the drinking. The Coast Guard got tipped off by the Captains breath...guess he never heard of listerine, or TRIDENT.

The Captain was stupid for drinking when he drank...did he have a couple of shots with breakfast - not a good idea...and by getting caught, he deserves the consequences of being a really stupid drinker and probably has a problem with drinking.

I have been on ships - at bars - with Captains who drink but who know their limits and respect their responsibility - as drinkers and Captains.

Now this fine X Captain will probably go home - and drink heavily. He may have been the world's finest Captain and a great host and master of an incredible vessel for a world-class company, but he was stupid and got caught.

Bottom line: don't let an entire crew of a ship let their Captain drink and drive. What happened to this Captain's officers whom must have been aware there was a problem?

It is what it is - the guy got caught and he will pay - but never be able to afford the damage he caused and inflicted upon a world class company.

Stupid is stupid does.

This fine Captain on the Mercury got caught - getting caught was his problem - not the drinking. The Coast Guard got tipped off by the Captains breath...guess he never heard of listerine, or TRIDENT.

This sounds like breaking the law is OK as long as you don't get caught. In other words, being "smart" enough to cover your tracks.

Disregard for the law, for the rules of his employer, and for the crew and passengers who trusted him was the problem.

Drinking when he was not permitted to drink was evidence of his disregard. Getting caught was not a problem. It was a consequence. As is losing his job and ruining his career.

I took the Mexican Riviera cruise in April and the Captain was Captain Petridis.
In fact, I sat at his table at the Captain's dinner. He was very pleasant.
If it is him, it's very sad that his career is over before it really ever got started(he was a Captain for five years). However, it's good to know that the situation was found out and taken care of before anyone got hurt.

For thos who feel "pity, or sorry, or what's the big deal it was only 2 glasses of wine " for the DUI Captain"...you may want to visit the dictionary and look up the defintion for the VERB [B][I]ENABLE[/I][/B] AND the NOUN [I][B]ENABLER[/B][/I] as it applies to the social network of substance abusers.:mad: IT IS THESE KIND OF ATTITUDES WHICH "ENABLE" PEOPLE LIKE THE CAPTAIN TO DRINK IRRESPONSIBLY.

That is so so sad.:confused:
Kudos to "X" cruiseline for hadling the situation responsibly.

[quote name='seaventurer']I have been on ships - at bars - with Captains who drink but who know their limits and respect their responsibility - as drinkers and Captains.
[/quote]

Isn't that a big part of the problem---drinkers who [B]think[/B] they know their limits!!!! I have seen too many bodies on the morgue table because of people who thought they knew their limits!!!!

Some people are willing to look the other way because it justifies their own behavior, but the law is the law and the Capt. should know what the law is in any port that he is docking.

As far as being fired for his misbehavior--we don't know if this is his first incident or if he has been called down for it privately in the past. Maybe RCI has a zero tolerance policy.

Yes, I do feel for him and his family, but we all suffer consequences to our actions.

Small world:

No and a small yes.

Flew in an aviation unit but was first when younger a medic in both an infantry and the 101st Airborne. Was with the 164th Combat Aviation Group. Can Tho, Vietnam.

So I know DUSTOFF those brave men who flew medical evac choppers, I was also part of them but was not flying much due to rank.

Became a nurse and such, thus the issues of flight status...

DUSTOFF was, is still the best.

"Doc"
CMB

[quote name='cruisintwinsmom']Isn't that a big part of the problem---drinkers who [B]think[/B] they know their limits!!!! I have seen too many bodies on the morgue table because of people who thought they knew their limits!!!!

Some people are willing to look the other way because it justifies their own behavior, but the law is the law and the Capt. should know what the law is in any port that he is docking.

As far as being fired for his misbehavior--we don't know if this is his first incident or if he has been called down for it privately in the past. Maybe RCI has a zero tolerance policy.

Yes, I do feel for him and his family, but we all suffer consequences to our actions.[/quote]

I hope all cruiselines have a zero tolerance policy about things like this.

Archived