Celebrity Capt Removed for Drunkness

GMoney

For example, a harbor pilot is hired to guide the ship into and out of port.

The harbor pilot never takes control of the ship. He's there to offer guidance or answer questions, but he never takes control of the ship, with one exception. I've heard the Panama Canal pilots take control of the ship while passing through the locks.

Perhaps it is a good idea to wait until all the FACTS are known before speculating what happened and exactly who was relieved of his duties.

Last time I checked, it was still innocent until proven guilty, unless that has changed in the last few years along with everthing else.

Last I checked the results of a breathalizer was pretty cut and dry. So there isn't much speculation here as to what happened. The captain of a cruise ship had an illegal amount of alcohol in his blood.

You might want to do some research. The breathalizer test has actually been thrown out in many court proceedings. Again, let's not try this in the court of public opinion, or the wild speculation that can take over on a board like this.

I am neither defending nor prosecuting the captain. I am just asking that everyone keep an open mind until ALL the facts come out. If you were in his shoes, wouldn't you want the same? That is why we have a judicial system.

Guess a few drinks is okay for the pilot that is flying your plane, too. Just a couple, and there is always the copilot.....and with autopilot, why should we care.

Maybe this is what is wrong with our society, "just give them one more chance".....

While not attempting to justify the Captain's alleged condition, keep in mind that, unlike an airplane, the Captain of a cruise ship seldom, if ever, actually touches the controls.

That said, he is in command of the entire ship and, if he's inebriated, it makes things dicey with the crew that take his orders.

Captain Hazelwood (Exxon Valdez) was determined to be under the influence in 1989 when he grounded in Prince William Sound. He was nowhere near the bridge when the accident happened, but, under maritime law, as Captain of the ship, anything that happens is his responsibility.

While not attempting to justify the Captain's alleged condition, keep in mind that, unlike an airplane, the Captain of a cruise ship seldom, if ever, actually touches the controls.

That said, he is in command of the entire ship and, if he's inebriated, it makes things dicey with the crew that take his orders.

Captain Hazelwood (Exxon Valdez) was determined to be under the influence in 1989 when he grounded in Prince William Sound. He was nowhere near the bridge when the accident happened, but, under maritime law, as Captain of the ship, anything that happens is his responsibility.

Walt hit it right on the money here! The Master/servant relationship is a recognized legal principle in maritime and other professional areas of law, including my area (healthcare).

No doubt his name will be in the press as soon as he's arraigned on Monday.

It shouldn't have happened, and it should be a career ender. Hopefully this is a warning to the rest of the Maritime Community also.

AND

Joseph Hazelwood was the captain of the Exxon Valdez the night she ran aground. Despite his admission that he had consumed at least three drinks before boarding the ship, Hazelwood was acquitted in 1990 of operating the tanker while drunk. He was convicted of the misdemeanor offence of illegally discharging oil, and on July 8, 1998, the Alaska Appeals Court upheld Hazelwood's sentence on that charge. Hazelwood currently lives on Long Island, New York, and works as a maritime insurance adjustor for a company owned by his lawyer.

How times have changed. One of my fondest childhood memories (from the late 1950s/early 1960s) is of accompanying my father to the weekly sailings of the Queen of Bermuda in New York. He worked for the line & often supervised the embarkation of passengers. Afterward we would go aboard the ship for lunch, followed by a pre-sailing "party" in the purser's cabin... I vividly remember the captain, staff captain, & other officers drinking scotch or gin-&-tonics while I sipped a Shirley Temple or two... All very proper & British. No one batted an eyebrow, & I never recall any unfortunate incidents (as far as the ship was concerned--my father was another matter) resulting from these low-key gatherings... I'm certainly not condoning or making light of drinking by anyone in a position of authority--far from it. Just thought I'd share this memory. As I say, times have changed!

(In the age of sail, sailors in the Royal Navy--& in the US Navy too--used to be given a generous daily ration of grog, watered-down rum. And, of an evening, officers used to go through many bottles of wine & port in the officer's mess. Read Patrick O'Brien!)

Just for perspective's sake:

So while under US law his intoxication level outside US waters is up to the flagging nation's laws, while under US jurisdiction no member of the crew may meet or exceed the definition of intoxicated ever. I did find that there is another portion of the provision (95.015) that states that ANY crewmember aboard ship is considered "operating" the vessel if it is not a recreational vessel. Thus, even though the law in open waters may be (not sure) that he can hand control to another qualified master and become intoxicated, it's not permitted within US waters. It is possible that he believed that he was allowed to be in his state while a licensed harbor pilot was in command (as he is not in legal command of the vessel at that time), but the code was revised in 2005 and may have changed the wording to not permit this any longer. He may just not have known about the change is code. Horrible way to lose your master's license. :(

I don't know if the capt knew the U.S. law or not, but he must have known the Celebrity rules. Someone must be in charge on the ship and it is the captn.

You say it is a "Horrible way to lose your master's license" I say so long I am glad you are no longer in charge, how dare you endanger my life"

Hi FinelyCruising, What happen to our captain from March 27? It looks like Mercury not having any better luck than it had in Mexico.

In March it was Captain Anastassios Salessiotis for the Mexican Riveria....he seemed like a no nonsense kind of guy.....:confused:

This is so sad. I feel bad for him and his family and all of the people who have sailed with him and love and admire him. I can't imagine what he's going through. I hope he lands on his feet.

I really hate the way our news media is now and know they won't let go of this story until every aspect of his life is an open book and his life is in ruins.:(

Garry

I have been sailing with Greek Officers for years now and they are some of the most proud people.

What a disgrace for a captain to be taken off "HIS" ship in handcuffs.

I agree he did wrong if infact he was intoxicated as the newspaper states but as a human I do feel very sorry for the man.

I cant tell you all how many times at night (on cruises) I have been to the Navigators Lounge, Cova Cafe, Cosmo's, etc (after 1 or 2 am) and observed the stripes drinking and (me) thinking its part of the PR responsibility they have to mingle with the guests. I never gave a second thought that in less then 8 hours they may be on a bridge watch and they have violated a basic tenet.

I hope the Cruiselines tighten up the social drinking rules and guidelines (for staff and crew) to avoid this embarassing situation in the future. We all make mistakes and we are all human. I am not condoning this act at all, the law is the law and I agree with what the Coast Guard did if the facts are correct. I would hope that a Captain of a major ship working for a major company wouldnt be arrested unless the CG was 100% assured a crime was committed.

Don

Unless there is a zero tolerance policy by the Coast Guard and the Cruise line for drinking at anytime while on the job....which I tend to almost doubt this since I have seen a captain or two or three enjoy wine at dinner.... If a captain can have wine at dinner, which many of us have seen occur, then what's the difference here if he had some with lunch?

Has anyone here ever questioned why he has it at dinner and it's OK before now....it's not like he's navigating any of those times, I imagine the staff captain is...so I don't quite yet understand the 8 hour rule in this instance, when I have seen other things, but I am sure I will get to a new level of education and understanding as this story unfolds.

Bottom line...it is sad for him and his family that he finds himself in this spotlight and situation. Clearly he may very well have made a genuine mistake....unless of course he has had a history of questionable drinking habits, and in that case, I'd be inclined to think that he has been set up to fall and which would be a necessary evil for the cruiseline, it's staff and it's guests....

How much lower is my RCL stock going to go???????

Every week there is a major disaster going on with X...

Can it get any worse than this??

A minority stockholder and owner,

RCL Inc.

Hi Marge...I am not sure what happened to our Captain...it does not sound like it was him since so many references point to the other Captain...

Either way...what sad life situations in a two month time period...

Multiple passenger deaths on private tour.

Noro cleaning related illness/injury without resolution.

Inappropriate Behavior by Master of Vessel requiring dismissal.

Huge issues on thier own, and almost too much to absorb and adjust to when combined in 60 days for anyone....

How much lower is my RCL stock going to go???????

Can it get any worse than this??

Let's not overreact to this incident. Yes, it was potentially serious, but quick & decisive steps were taken to rectify it. No need for hysteria here.

Every week there is a major disaster going on with X...

Having returned two weeks ago from a wonderful transatlantic crossing aboard the Constellation, I can tell you that there certainly were no "disasters" on board her. Nor anything at all approaching a "disaster." (Well, a passenger evacuated by Royal Navy helicopter off the coast of Cornwall because of a medical emergency--but that wasn't Celebrity's fault, as far as I'm aware, & the evacuation seemed to be handled with the utmost professionalism.)

I'm not familiar with the Mercury, but, given the opportunity, I'd be more than happy to step aboard the Connie or the Zenith or other Celebrity ships tomorrow for a cruise of infinite duration.

None of us were there to see what condition the captain was in nor what really transpired. We all know (or should know) that, by and large, the news media love to hype a story and dwell on its sensational aspects. Let's let the facts come out before we rush to judgement. And don't blame Celebrity (as a ship operator and as a corporate entity) for the captain's condition. Personal factors that we know nothing about must have been involved, and this could have happened to a captain employed by ANY line--and to anyone in any profession.

This is so sad. I feel bad for him and his family and all of the people who have sailed with him and love and admire him. I can't imagine what he's going through. I hope he lands on his feet.

I really hate the way our news media is now and know they won't let go of this story until every aspect of his life is an open book and his life is in ruins.:(

Garry

I bet this gets lots of attention, just like the stories about drunk pilots. Heavy sigh.....

Looks like Celebrity did the right thing by firing the capatin. Makes you wonder how long this problem has been going on. The Captain is often well sheltered from scrutiny, with lower level staff unable or afraid to blow the whistle on him. It wouldn't surprise me to learn, later on, that some staff member called the USCG on a cell-tel and tipped them off knowing that in a US port the guy would be removed. Problems of alcohol and drug abuse are prevelent in all walks of life from surgeons, pilots, school teachers, sea captains, etc. Management needs to keep this in mind and have a system to continually monitor it. The US military tests every active duty person, from 4 star to private, unannounced and regularly. It's a strong incentive to stay "clean" and good insurance that those in positions of major responsibility are not impaired. Like a drunk driver caught by the state troopers, the incident often is a sign of a much bigger personal problem. RCCL/Celebrity needs to find out who's minding the store, and what measures they have in place to stay on top of the problem.

I have been sailing with Greek Officers for years now and they are some of the most proud people.

What a disgrace for a captain to be taken off "HIS" ship in handcuffs.

I agree he did wrong if infact he was intoxicated as the newspaper states but as a human I do feel very sorry for the man.

I cant tell you all how many times at night (on cruises) I have been to the Navigators Lounge, Cova Cafe, Cosmo's, etc (after 1 or 2 am) and observed the stripes drinking and (me) thinking its part of the PR responsibility they have to mingle with the guests. I never gave a second thought that in less then 8 hours they may be on a bridge watch and they have violated a basic tenet.

I hope the Cruiselines tighten up the social drinking rules and guidelines (for staff and crew) to avoid this embarassing situation in the future. We all make mistakes and we are all human. I am not condoning this act at all, the law is the law and I agree with what the Coast Guard did if the facts are correct. I would hope that a Captain of a major ship working for a major company wouldnt be arrested unless the CG was 100% assured a crime was committed.

Don

Don brings up another point. Since many ships spaces must be manned 24/7, any officers/crew seen drinking at 1 or 2 AM may have been on watch until midnight. Or aren't due on watch again until the next afternoon. These jobs aren't the regular 9-5 type.

Come on, folks, let's not overreact. The Mercury Captain was tested to be just over .08 BAC, which is twice the maritime limit of .04. The drunk driving limit in CA is .08 BAC, and it doesn't take much to get to that level. He failed the Breathylzer and should not have been drinking within 8 hours of his watch. Period. He was NOT arrested and taken down the gangplank in handcuffs while stumbling, falling-down drunk. Rather, he had been drinking, failed the test by the Coast Guard and was arrested and taken into custody. The CG was right to do their job and make the arrest, because he did violate the maritime limits. Please don't make the man out to be an irresponsible, falling-down drunkard who was dragged off the bridge. The media wants to sensationalize stories, don't get sucked into jumping to the worst assumptions about the man's character.

We all know (or should know) that, by and large, the news media love to hype a story and dwell on its sensational aspects. Let's let the facts come out before we rush to judgement.

Oh heck, I was going to try to let the usual news-media slams roll off me, but I can't. I've worked in news media for more than 20 years. Yeah, there are some idiots out there, like those cable shows that have been wasting people's time on Natalee-the-girl-lost-in-Aruba and the passenger-overboard tales. As would be the case here -- don't suddenly brand all cruise-ship captains as drunks because one guy got arrested -- remember that most of the people in my profession are there to get information to you. If you don't want to know what's going on in your town/your state/your world, that's cool, don't turn on your TV or radio, or read your paper, or go to a news Web site. You may hear a lot about overpaid anchors (Katie Couric's new contract) and think everyone in the media is some sort of fat-cat tycoon counting their bucks inbetween ruining people's lives, but the reality is that most of the work to gather and report the information is done by people who get paid quite modestly. Less in some small markets than fast-food burger-flippers. And you are expected to put in beaucoup overtime, no holidays because the news never sleeps and the newscasts/newspapers don't take Christmas/Thanksgiving off. Oops, ran too long on my rant.

Regarding the "sensational" aspects of a story --- one of our local articles says this hasn't happened around here in at least 24 years. That's pretty sensational, in one sense of the word. And keep in mind, regardless of whether the captain technically "drives the ship," he is indeed charged with the welfare of THREE-THOUSAND PEOPLE (pax & crew).

Pragmatically, hard to say what's going to happen with this one. The cable gossipers may pick it up, but because there were no unusual circumstances such as the ship getting into a crash BECAUSE of an allegedly DUI captain, and there'll be no weeping victim-relative types (as in Natalee and the passenger-overboard stories), it won't last for long. Plus to paraphrase somebody who posted above, there won't be much dissection of the suspect's background, because he's from another country and it's going to be darn hard to rustle up anyone in Wherever, Greece, to put in front of a camera.

The followup I *would* like to see is how this industry and others where hundreds or thousands of people are in the hands of one captain/driver routinely patrol for substance use/abuse, or don't. This situation just happened to be discovered when a CG inspector was on board checking on an unrelated situation, according to this article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003007178_cruise20m.html

Interesting also in the "innocent till proven guilty" vein -- Celebrity apparently doesn't have any such policy, if they really did fire him on the spot --- TR, avid cruiser and veteran of the Evil Awful News Media

The harbor pilot never takes control of the ship. He's there to offer guidance or answer questions, but he never takes control of the ship, with one exception. I've heard the Panama Canal pilots take control of the ship while passing through the locks.

True a pilot goes aboard ship as an advisor to the captain but the pilot directs the course of the vessel. The pilot issues the engine orders, the rudder orders, and all the course changes. While technically, the captain retains responsibility, the pilot is in command for all practical purposes. This is my understanding although I have never been a pilot nor have I ever played one on TV.

Archived