Can you climb pyramids at Uxmal/Chichen Itza

You were able to climb the pyramid at CI last summer. However, the steps are very narrow and steep. Many people become "wall huggers" at the top. Several people used the 'butt' method of descending!

I did not climb, but my DH did! The view from the top was breath taking (both ways!)

We were at Uxmal in 2004 and you could not clime the first pryamid(s) they show you through the tour, but later after the tour, when you could explore on your own, there is another pryamid that you can clime and I did. Get's a little scary getting closer to the top as the steps are steeper and narrow, but a great view of other ruins in the area.

I have a picture of it, with people climing it, but the file is to big, I have to figure out how to change it so I can attach it.

Did they say why?

I hope it's not true.........I would love the chance to Climb the large temple at Chichen Itza one more time........

But, I'd imagine.......that hundreds of people climbing the structure each day could have an impact......even on stone.

Or maybe it became a safety issue........

The guide did say it was the constant wear & tear of people climbing it. The last people to climb it were Presidente Fox & President Bush. Its all roped off along with some other structures there.

It is really hot so if you plan on going make sure you have lots of water !!

Archived