Ice Bar, Stockholm on our own

Although the Ice Bar at the Nordic Hotel in Stockholm is reportedly very touristy, we really would like to do it on our own rather than through a tour company. We've tried to make a reservation online but were told we have to call. Has anyone taken a taxi (or bus) from their ship into town and visited the Ice Bar? Can you get in without a reservation (we'll be there August 18th)? Any advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:)

I read somewhere (maybe here) that you can't get in without being on a ship's tour because the ships pre-reserve all the slots for the days they are in port. Don't know if it's true or not... and I'm sure it depends on how many ships are in port at the time... but I went ahead and booked with my ship just in case. It's the only ship's excursion we have booked because I like exploring on my own.

We just returned from the Baltics 5/06 and we met several people on our ship who tried to go to the ice bar on their own and were turned away. They were told that the cruise ships reserve all the slots and you have to book through them.

I wanted to see the Ice Bar but our ship doesn't have any tours to it. Maybe because our time schedule won't allow it. It doesn't open until about 3:00 pm and we have to be back on our ship at 4:30. Oh well maybe another time. We are on the Star Princess.

The Ice Bar maintains a very tight schedule, with prioritiy given to the cruise lines' tours. Last year, DH went to the Ice Bar, while I did a barge trip along the canals. He did this through the ship, and it included a city highlights tour. He has great pictures and purchased a couple of "Ice" shot glasses for his Absolute.

Darcy

Hi

I don't like to ask silly questions but what is the ice bar. Is it just what it sounds like? a bar where everything inside is frozen and you have to wear special coats and boots inside that they provide. Edna

Thank you all so much for your responses. First, yes -- the Ice Bar is just a touristy bar in the Nordic Hotel that is all ice and serves drinks in an ice glass. My husband just really wants to see it so we'll try to get a reservation. Based on the information on this thread, we plan on calling the Nordic Hotel's Ice Bar and make a reservation. Unfortunately, the Voyager arrives 5:00 p.m. so we'll need to book a rather late tour and take a taxi from the dock. Hope we can figure this out....we have two months until we'll be there.

Thanks again!;)

If anyone gets to the Ice bar without going on a ship's tour please could you let us know.

We would be interested, as far as I know P&O do not offer this as a tour. But of course there could be other cruise ships in port on the same day which do offer this tour.

Please let us know your experiences.

Many thanks in advance

we went thru all the same gyrations all of your are talking about and were told it would be closed when we were there on Star Princess and we gave up. then someone from our ship just happened to walk into it at noon and they were open.

so go figure.

we missed it and my husband really wanted to see it as well. sounded like a truly unique thing to do.

If anyone gets to the Ice bar without going on a ship's tour please could you let us know.

We would be interested, as far as I know P&O do not offer this as a tour. But of course there could be other cruise ships in port on the same day which do offer this tour.

Please let us know your experiences.

Many thanks in advance

Called the Ice Bar and could have made a reservation if our ship was getting in earlier. We wanted reservations for 6:30 p.m. but could only get it for 5:00 p.m.:( Just posting this so you know that it is possible to do at certain times. Their phone number from the United States is 011-46-8-50-56-31-24.

Hope this helps!

I don't have any firsthand experience with the I.B., but... According to the internet, the Ice Bar at the Nordic Hotel in Stockholm is linked to Absolut Vodka; and a second Ice Bar, virtually identical to that one (but allowing for more guests), has opened in London. I read several positive reviews of the London venue but suspect something may be lost-in-translation when the venue shifts to London, particularly when Stockholm is in reach.

Alternatively.

If your cruise calls at Helsinki, there's an ice bar there too!

I've arranged with them to open up an hour early so a group of us could visit! !

( €10 per person including a drink)

Alan

Alternatively.

If your cruise calls at Helsinki, there's an ice bar there too!

I've arranged with them to open up an hour early so a group of us could visit! !

( €10 per person including a drink)

Alan

Based on internet info only, the Helsinki ice bar "experience" might be different from the IBs in Stockholm and London. The bar appears to be unrelated to and much tinier (max of 8 persons) than the Absolut IBs in the other cities (for 30 and 60, respectively). It also is much less expensive. It makes one wonder how comparable they are, but perhaps each has its special quality.

Based on internet info only, the Helsinki ice bar "experience" might be different from the IBs in Stockholm and London. The bar appears to be unrelated to and much tinier (max of 8 persons) than the Absolut IBs in the other cities (for 30 and 60, respectively). It also is much less expensive. It makes one wonder how comparable they are, but perhaps each has its special quality.

To me as pragmatist...it is just an "experience" ...you get cold, you marvel at the glasses, the bar,the seating etc... made from ice..you drink your drink.

Now whether you want to pay more,share that experience with 30 or 60 other people or pay less in a more intimate smaller group of friends (10 to 15) that's upto the individual.

All I was putting forward was an alternative to the problems that people were experiencing getting to the ice bar in Stockholm.I'm not advocating one is superior to the other. Only an alternative opportunity to have the "experience"

Alan

I'm joking (sort of). I finally ended up booking the Ice Bar (Stockholm) through the ship's tour company because our ship gets into Stockholm so late. So, we'll end up paying $135 each for one drink (I guess this includes a short city tour). After making the booking, I read a log from a 2006 world cruise and found something really interesting -- the ship (Regent Seven Seas Voyager) had a special vodka and cavier tasting in the ship's freezer. Thinking about the cost of the Ice Bar, perhaps the alternative wasn't such a bad idea. (Note: still doing the tour!);)

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nordiclighthotel.se/omhotellet/matochdryck.asp?LangId=2&MainCatId=31

Icebar offers online reservations in 45 minute slots spanning from 12 noon - 9pm

I'll be in Stockholm in mid-July and just booked a reservation for 150SEK per person (roughly $20 US) with no problem.

europe4fun

...newbie ...

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the ice bar for a date in July. There are two links to reservations on the website. One gives the message that it is closed or full, but on the other you can make prepaid reservations. When you are on the Nordic Hotel website there will be a menu right of center that has 5-6 options, one is 'book icebar'. That's the one that allowed me a booking. I think I reached the closed one through the ice bar description page and it was along the left side of the page. Hope this is understandable and helps.

Just for info - we booked on-line at the Nordic Hotel website for late August and received confirmation. No problem - but, as far as I can tell - their reservation schedule is only open about 2 months out - otherwise the calendar for advanced booking dates is "ghosted". Hope this help. SeaFish

I just booked the ice bar for a date in July. There are two links to reservations on the website. One gives the message that it is closed or full, but on the other you can make prepaid reservations. When you are on the Nordic Hotel website there will be a menu right of center that has 5-6 options, one is 'book icebar'. That's the one that allowed me a booking. I think I reached the closed one through the ice bar description page and it was along the left side of the page. Hope this is understandable and helps.

Thanks SO much for the info....just booked for August with no problem!!

Archived