fan in cabin

davehaj

this is an interesting topic - never knew so many people had to have white noise, cold, fans blowing in their face to sleep. I despise our bedroom ceiling fan, but have learned to live w/it. DH also keeps a smaller table fan blowing on him for xtra air whilst sleeping. I like the idea of a $10 Walmart fan for the cabin (for DH). Sleep is so essential to a good quality of life and yet it escapes so many of us for too many reasons too often!

As someone whose husband snores more loudly than anyone I've ever heard, (no kidding, his snoring can be heard three rooms away with doors closed in between), I have found that another way to get white noise is to tune your radio or television to a setting that produces only static and crank up the volume.

Whoever is staying in the cabins on either side of us will find this to be useful information.:eek:

Texas - off topic, but has your husband ever had a sleep test? My wife was complaining about my snoring, and something about me stopping breathing (I told her to stop covering my face with a pillow and I would be able to breath just fine...)

Anyway, I went in for a test, and found that I have moderate to severe apnea - I was having my sleep interupted 30-60 times every hour. E-mail if you need info at ajsalemi@bellsouth.net

Sleep apnea is a serious problem and is treatable. Snoring is a symptom, but "not breathing" for long periods of time is also a symptom. The smallest amount of weight loss can make a difference, even 10 pounds.

I like the noise of fan, but the moving air is also important.

Bonnie

I'm laughing so hard at this thread, I thought I was a minority in needing a fan when I sleep. My problem? A pug on one side of my legs and a pug on the other side of my legs :rolleyes: But when we were on the Glory we were on Panarama deck with a balcony. It was nice and cool in our cabin with the air on. We also adored cuddling down in those nice soft cushy comforters. I didn't need a fan at all.:D

We're another "fan family!" When I married DH I had to learn to sleep with a fan. All four kids sleep with fans for the white noise as well. When we travel we take a small box fan with us. I just make sure we have room for it. We've taken it on four cruises and no one's ever said anything about it.

Cheers!

Jayne

I am so glad to see that me and DH are not alone in the "having to have a fan on at night" thing.. I thought I was weird or something.. I love to sleep in a cold room...and have the noise of the fan...

I wish we had one on the Victory back in Dec.'05 as our room air was not working correctly.. They never brought us one..and we asked every day.. guess they didnt have any to spare..

Texas - off topic, but has your husband ever had a sleep test? My wife was complaining about my snoring, and something about me stopping breathing (I told her to stop covering my face with a pillow and I would be able to breath just fine...)

Anyway, I went in for a test, and found that I have moderate to severe apnea - I was having my sleep interupted 30-60 times every hour. E-mail if you need info at ajsalemi@bellsouth.net

Oh my,, my DH does that also.. stops breathing for the longest time.. kinda scares me, wondering if he is going to start back breathing...

We have yet to have a cold cabin. This last cruise we took 2 little portable fans like the one in the picture. Just make sure you take 2 extension cords. The plugs beside the bed for the lamps are European plugs not American. Go figure! All we slept under was the sheet, those comforters belong on the Alasan cruises.

linda

As someone whose husband snores more loudly than anyone I've ever heard, (no kidding, his snoring can be heard three rooms away with doors closed in between)

My uncle snored like that. He went to a sleep clinic and found out he had apnea. His breathing was stopping something like 40 times every hour or two! He had surgery to repair a deviated septum and scrape his sinuses, and now he only snores loud enough to be heard in the next room.:D

Archived