Best ports in Hawaii??

P.A.

Thinking about maybe an Hawaiian cruise next year. What's the best ports and the best time to go? I'm sure the best time is probably not the cheapest time, but your thoughts and any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

Thanks!

I agree that all of the ports in Hawaii are great. One of the most impressive sights was the night passing of Kilauea. We left Hilo late in the afternoon going to Kona. We passed the volcano at about 10 pm. It was an amazing sight. First you could see the lava flowing down the side of the mountain. As the ship got closer you could see the lava as it flowed into the sea. I would look for a route that cruises around the south end of the Big Island after dark.

• 1 month later...

We cruised on Princess in October (15 days) which we were told was the best time to go and it was. It was an almost perfect cruise (we're easy to please :) ). The weather was excellent albeit a bit toasty when we got to Hawaii and a bit chilly when we got closer to California (on the return) but other than that, it was tank tops and shorts the whole time except the last day and dinner. :D As far as ports go, we enjoyed Lahaina and Kona the best. Hilo was the worst since you couldn't do anything at the port and had to take a shuttle to go anywhere. Kauai was similar. Honolulu was beautiful and we would like to go back to Waikiki. We hope to do this cruise again in 2014.

H2,

Was that sail by the volcano on the Celebrity ship Summit? I have been looking at that cruise and would interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

I was on the Summit Hawaii cruise this past March and yes, we saw the volcano in the evening as we passed around the Island. It was beautiful to see. The cruise is very enjoyable with 4 sea days at the beginning and then five consecutive days of seeing various Hawaii ports and another 4 days at the end of the cruise from Hawaii back to Los Angeles. It was a very nice mix of sea days and days in Hawaii.

Keith

There aren't any bad ports in Hawaii, but we enjoyed Kauai (most scenic) and Lahaina, Maui (many attractions, but not as built-up as Honolulu, Oahu) the most.

We are trying to decide what to do on Kauai. Can you tell us what you did and liked the best?

Did you do any snorkeling on Kauai? Trying to find a company that fits into our docking schedule and having a hard time. Nawiliwili at 9 am. Most of the tours for snorkeling leave at 8.

Would like to tour the Na Pali coast but would like to hear your suggestions please.

Thanks tons,

Lynn

some ships do napoli coasting from the ship which is very pretty.

If you go to kauai, go to waimea canyon, and if you decid to go further oppeka falls or something, i forget. There's the kauai coffe factory, a sugar plantation too down there.

Going the other way you can go o wailua falls made famous by fantasy island. Then waillua river and posisby a fern grotto cruise.

Then up to sleeping giant viewing. If you decide to go to princeville or anything up there too.

Archived