Beating the bar tab

joeinwpb

On my recent trip to Polynesia, I did a 4-day pre-cruise stay. I had read on many boards that prices in Polynesia are stratospheric. That combines with the fact that they probably wouldn't have my favored booze (Bacardi O orange flavored) got me to bring a bottle with me. I'd also heard that everything there was pricey, so I brought some coke, too.

:eek: Wow. Coke - $4.50 a can, breakfast $29.95 average, dinner $60-70 average, alcohol drinks averaged $12.00 each, gas $12 a gallon. :eek:

On the Paul Gauguin, they give you free soda and water anytime, wine & beer with lunch & dinner, and one liter of booze of choice per person in the cabin. I didn't finish the booze, so took it and some sodas with me for the day room prior to flying out and don't feel bad at all.

The only ports I buy drinks for consumption on the ship are in Mexico. It may sound odd but they use a slightly different formula for Coca-Cola products there. The Mexican version of Diet Coke called "Coke Lite" actually tastes good where as I don't care for USA Diet Coke. I also bought some Rum on our last cruise and we were allowed to take it to our cabin, but since neither of us drink rum we brought it home intact. I only buy rum for baking rum cakes.

Hi there Sail 7! Good to see an SN I can put with a face!

Travelitis.... Did we meet on Zuiderdam? Refresh my memory...give me a hint:)

If we met, I don't think you told me you were a CC poster. There was only one couple I met who post here.

What does "SN" stand for? Thanks.

A drink on a ship can cost about $5 plus a mandatory 15% gratuity. I fail to see how bringing your own alcohol hurts anyone. Am I supposed to feel sorry for the poor poor cruise line that charges me $1000 per person or more? My wife and I would like to have a few drinks on our cruise without incurring a $300 bar tab.

Remember cruise "rules" are not "laws". No one is going to make you walk the plank for bringing a bottle on board.

On that note, we have just received word from HAL that they no longer offer the Mendenhall Glacier and Alaska Brew Co. excursion in Juneau. My guess is that it was too hard to explain to passengers why they had to bring their beer back and then give it to the attendants to hold. Can you imagine the mess of a bus full of passengers, most with beer purchases from a HAL sponsored activity, having to stand in line for "beer confiscation"?? :eek: It's a darned shame and I think we have the beancounters as well as those that abused the privilege to thank:rolleyes:

I was perfectly willing to order beer for in cabin use from Ship's Services and had them send me the list of available products. I wasn't even going to quibble on the $15.50 per 6 pack as it is for my wonderful husband and as so many have said, we're on vacation. When we looked at the selections, there was not a single dark beer available, the only kind he drinks. So, will I take some for him to enjoy on the balcony?? Absolutely...as so many have said, we're on vacation.

Will I take cases? No. Will he take it to the pool and flaunt breaking the rule? No. Will he still buy other things in bars and wine through Ship Services. Sure.

And, they don't have Dr. Pepper? I might have to throw in a can or 2 of that as well.

just try to find caff. free diet coke, so have to bring my own.

Are you sure? That is what I drink and have had no problem getting it. Just ask the bartender for it and ask them to please look for it if they say they have none. They usually can find a couple of cans.

It's a darned shame and I think we have the beancounters as well as those that abused the privilege to thank:rolleyes:

I'm assuming by "those who abuse the privilege", you mean the people who bought too much beer from the excursion.

Just for the sake of discussion, no judgements aimed at anyone. Just another way of looking at things.

Could it be that what works for me, what feels right to me, what does't necessarly "hurt" the big corporation, what is more conevient for me, etc, etc., could also be just plain wrong.

I know this is a very politicially uncorrect opinion. We live in the 21st century where the individual is king or queen and it's me first. Yes it's just a cruise ship. Yes, these are rules not laws. But this is a slice of life. The way we behave here is the same as the way way we behave every where else. Our values remain the same.

Taking a thermos of water off the ship is different than taking another beverage off the ship. The cruise line provides water at no additional cost. If the cruise line allows people to bring beverages for private use in their cabin and no where else, that is their perogative. It's their ship. Just like you are allowed to make the rules in your house they are allowed to make the rules on their ship. If someone broke the rules in my house in this manner, I wouldn't welcome them back. But, my house is not a cruise ship so I don't depend on the people for money to keep my business alive. Another difference is that I get to invite them, the cruiseline does not have that luxury.

I do not allow people to smoke in my office. Yes, they are paying to be there. They still may not smoke. Why? Because it is my office. I make the rules. Yes, they are addicted. Yes, they are under stress. Yes, it is uncomfortable. They still can't smoke. This is my office. Their option is to seek treatment elsewhere should they desire. So far, in close to twenty years of practice, not one person has done so.

I really could not care less what any person does. Smuggle your hearts out. Just don't do anything that will affect the lives of innocent people. If your smuggling causes the cruise line to inconvience everyone by having their luggage searched, you have gone too far. You have affected the lives of others who do not deserve to be treated that way. Your behavior has diminished my experience. If you become drunk on the alcohol you smuggled out to the pool, because there is now no way to control the amount you are consuming (as any responsible bar tender would do) and your behavior is upsetting to me, you have diminished my experience and I resent that.

We all live in this world together. On a cruise ship we all live together in fairly close quarters for a distinct period of time. To be uncaring of the rights of your fellow guests is selfish.

Please don't flame me. As I said, do as you please. This is just information and another point of view.

Linda

Ryanmemom I hope you don't mind if I say a great big thank you and amen to you. I certainly agree with every thing you wrote. We will look forward to meeting you a year from Nov. on the Veendam.

We brought vodka and mailbu mix in our carry-ons when we boarded the Z in May...no problem. It's partly because my wife is particular about her vodka and we just like having our own deal in our cabin. We certainly have no problem buying drinks at the bar and any liquor we had in the cabin stayed in the cabin. Our tab for the week was $800...not all booz.

Taking a thermos of water off the ship is different than taking another beverage off the ship. The cruise line provides water at no additional cost.

Linda

Hi Linda,

No flames towards you.. just trying to see it how you do. So in your opinion, what is okay to bring off the ship? Water, because its provided free by the cruise? or for arguments sake, soda, because you have to purchase it.

Just providing my opinion, but the water is purchased as part of the cruise fare, since people who didn't pay the fare couldn't get the free water.

Cost of soda is just an addition al what I've paid for, for water.

So, being that I would have paid for either of those 2 beverages, why is there a difference in taking them off the ship?

I don't believe that anyone said they wanted to smuggle alcohol on board so they could incovenience others by causing delays in the boarding lines or to get overly drunk by the pool.

Certainly any adult could get as much alcohol delivered to him just about anywhere on the ship to get as drunk as it takes to make a fool out of himself. And, in this age of terrorism that we live in, the inspecting of carry on luggage would continue even if there was no alcohol to smuggle.

I dont remember who said it and I am not going to go back to check but I still dont see how anyone smuggling alcohol is really "ruining" anyone else's cruise.

The kind of person that gets drunk and acts stupid will get drunk and act stupid whether he/she smuggles the alcohol or buys it onboard.

Just my opinion

:rolleyes:
The question then becomes, "where will it end?" I prefer my morning bacon crisp and dry. Since that's hard to come by in most eating venues, why don't I just bring my electric skillet and my own brand of bacon on board? A-a-a-h-h. Nothing like cooking breakfast out on the veranda early in the morning. :rolleyes:

I cannot disagree more with the concept that what I do has no affect on others. Eventually, it will ... as society proves every day and is being shown in this case by HAL's tightened alcohol policy. It's probably just a matter of time before wine and champagne will be prohibited as well. As always, JMO.

[quote name='jhannah']:rolleyes:
The question then becomes, "where will it end?" I prefer my morning bacon crisp and dry. Since that's hard to come by in most eating venues, why don't I just bring my electric skillet and my own brand of bacon on board? A-a-a-h-h. Nothing like cooking breakfast out on the veranda early in the morning. :rolleyes:
QUOTE]

In order to show that a proposition P is unacceptable, a sequence of increasingly unacceptable events is shown to follow from P. A slippery slope is an illegitimate use of the "if-then" operator.

JMO

[quote name='staufj22']Hi Linda,

No flames towards you.. just trying to see it how you do. So in your opinion, what is okay to bring off the ship? Water, because its provided free by the cruise? or for arguments sake, soda, because you have to purchase it.
Just providing my opinion, but the water is purchased as part of the cruise fare, since people who didn't pay the fare couldn't get the free water.
Cost of soda is just an addition al what I've paid for, for water.

So, being that I would have paid for either of those 2 beverages, why is there a difference in taking them off the ship?[/QUOTE]

Excellent point! I don't have a problem with taking anything [U]off[/U] the ship that you have legitimately purchased on the ship. I do not recall their being any rule regarding this. I don't think the cruise line really cares. So there is no difference at all. Heck, take the bag of Dorito's you purchased in the shop! Who cares!

I'm not trying to get too concrete here. My point really is, Your host has set certain rules and standards of behavior to be followed while on their premises. We all do the same thing in our homes and places of business. It is irrelevant if we pay to be there or not. We are on someone else's turf. It is rude and selfish to behave in a manner that is contrary to the wishes of our host. This is what we used to call civilized behavior.

No one can force another adult to behave in a certain way. However, no one can escape the consequences of their behavior. A lot of people seem to enjoy taking the risk of pushing the envelope and get a thrill out of this. Fine. But then, they need to accept the concequences they brought on to themselves without all the griping. One of those consequences is that a lot of other people are going to be upset with them because their lives have been altered through no fault of their own. It happens every day in Jr High.

All I'm talking about is looking at the big picture. There is more going on than one person's experience or one family's experience, especially when we are all living together on one small cruise ship. Go out on deck. Take a look at the sea. You will see how small you really are. It's a wonderful experience. At sea you become grounded.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]This is for discussion only. Please, no flames.[/COLOR]

Linda

[quote name='ryansmemom']Excellent point! I don't have a problem with taking anything [U]off[/U] the ship that you have legitimately purchased on the ship. I do not recall their being any rule regarding this. I don't think the cruise line really cares. So there is no difference at all. Heck, take the bag of Dorito's you purchased in the shop! Who cares!

I'm not trying to get too concrete here. My point really is, Your host has set certain rules and standards of behavior to be followed while on their premises. We all do the same thing in our homes and places of business. It is irrelevant if we pay to be there or not. We are on someone else's turf. It is rude and selfish to behave in a manner that is contrary to the wishes of our host. This is what we used to call civilized behavior.

No one can force another adult to behave in a certain way. However, no one can escape the consequences of their behavior. A lot of people seem to enjoy taking the risk of pushing the envelope and get a thrill out of this. Fine. But then, they need to accept the concequences they brought on to themselves without all the griping. One of those consequences is that a lot of other people are going to be upset with them because their lives have been altered through no fault of their own. It happens every day in Jr High.

All I'm talking about is looking at the big picture. There is more going on than one person's experience or one family's experience, especially when we are all living together on one small cruise ship. Go out on deck. Take a look at the sea. You will see how small you really are. It's a wonderful experience. At sea you become grounded.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]This is for discussion only. Please, no flames.[/COLOR]

Linda[/QUOTE]

I think we are in agreement. The issue I have is with people who turn their nose up at people who brings drinks OFF of the ship. Saying that its okay only if you bring bottled water, but its looked down upon if its some other beverage.
I don't disagree that there are rules to follow whereever you go, be it no weapons in the airport, or dress codes in the Vatican.

I'm not sure how taking any food or drink item off the ship is a problem for anyone...how is that going to make this escalating pyramid of ill behavior topple on top of the good people? They don't quit serving food or drink while in port. It isn't a case of stealing food as all you care to eat is included in the fare. I'm not trying to be glib, I honestly don't understand how it is stealing to take a paper cup of juice and a banana off the ship to get an early start. Would you also say it is stealing to go back to the ship, grab a banana and a cup of juice, eat it and then travel back to town? If you stand on the gangway and eat the banana it is fine, but once you step onto the dock it become stealing? I'm just not getting this. It isn't like anyone here was talking about filling up their Colemans to go feed the islanders.

[quote name='stillfrantic']I'm not sure how taking any food or drink item off the ship is a problem for anyone...how is that going to make this escalating pyramid of ill behavior topple on top of the good people? They don't quit serving food or drink while in port. It isn't a case of stealing food as all you care to eat is included in the fare. I'm not trying to be glib, I honestly don't understand how it is stealing to take a paper cup of juice and a banana off the ship to get an early start. Would you also say it is stealing to go back to the ship, grab a banana and a cup of juice, eat it and then travel back to town? If you stand on the gangway and eat the banana it is fine, but once you step onto the dock it become stealing? I'm just not getting this. It isn't like anyone here was talking about filling up their Colemans to go feed the islanders.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely. This is not stealing food. This food is provided to you for your personal consumption. You may take it back to your cabin or any where else on the ship. Why not take if off to munch on while on tour?

Your host, HAL, has no stated objection to this. I don't see a problem at all.

I think the issue at hand is people [U]smuggling[/U] food and beverages [U]onto[/U] the ship against company policy and the affect this behavioir has on everyone else. When I was a student we called this values clairification. It's is a good discussion topic as long as everyone remains calm and nonjudgemental.

There is no right or wrong answer here, folks. Just interesting discussion. We are all adults and can do what ever we want to do. Keep that in mind and this could be a really good discussion and the powers that be will not shut it down.

Linda

[quote name='G_Man']We smuggled booze aboard at every port and brought it to the pool. If the prices had been reasonable we wouldn’t have felt the need.

Horizon 3/’03[/QUOTE]

Hi

I would like to here more about this. Please tell us more. We can all learn from your thoughts and why this was important to you.
Linda

Well, the smuggling food on issue....why would HAL care, and why would anyone need to? Alcohol I can see as a debate, but why would HAL care if I brought food onboard? It is all free onboard. I guess I am still confused.

Okay, now I will offer up another scenario for those who feel strongly that it is just plain terrible for me to take a small number of cans of a dark beer onboard for my husband to drink on our verandah. Have any of you gone 26 in a 25 MPH zone? Anyone actually received a ticket for speeding? What about being a day late on your car's state inspection? All of those things are actually laws and do truly endanger others on the road and sidewalks. Has anyone had a glass of wine with dinner and driven home? Again, putting others in danger. How is my Guiness Draught on my own verandah endangering anyone or compromising others enjoyment of their own cabins or public areas on the ship?

Archived