Beating the bar tab

joeinwpb

[quote name='Sailure']Hmmm, I don't particularly care what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me and the vacation I paid for. [/quote]

Well if you truly believe this (and I hope you do), then why the concern as you go on about others carrying their own drinks (and I am not just talking booze) onboard?

[quote]
Let's be honest we bring our own booze against the rules because we think we're going to be drinking much more than what we want to pay for on the ship. We're cheating the cruiseline. We get pretty darned good rates for a vacation that includes a lot of food, entertainment and downright fun, but we feel we get a thrill from cheating the big bad company out of something that is rightfully theirs...no?

As far as saying that we do it because they don't have our brand of gin or vodka is a crock. When we're invited to a party where the booze is supplied, we drink what they have. When we go to a restaurant and we order drinks we don't bring our own bottle if they don't have our favorite. Do we?[/QUOTE]

Ahhh - sorry, it isn't a crock.

When it comes to soft drinks, I love Mountain Dew. My daughter loves Root Beer. As far as I know, HAL stocks neither. Your choice is Coke or umm Coke (and maybe sprite or something similiar).

Plus I don't really enjoy hanging out in a bar. So I would much rather have the convenience of having what I want to drink in my cabin - plus I can always discreetly take a glass of it to the pool.

As far as $$$, sure the high price HAL charges is a factor to some (and I am sure I would buy a bit more from HAL if their prices were reasonable - but they are not)

So it comes back to I will do what I enjoy and it won't impact you in the least. So no need for you to be concerned, right :)

[quote name='superstein61']UMMMMMMMMMMM, wrong.

You missed the point by a mile. There are several reasons why people bring their own beverage aboard.

1. HAL doesn't stock it (ie Mountain Dew or my favorite brand of RUM)
2. Convenience
3. To save a few bucks

FOr me - to save a few bucks is actually last on the list. Is it a factor - YES, if HAL would charge reasonable prices, maybe I would buy more drinks from them but since they want to price gouge, its their loss.

But my main reason is I bring what I like to drink - Because they do not have it !!!!!

And the point is why are some folks like yourself so judgemental about others who carry their favorite beverage aboard? Jealousy? A belief you are better than others? Surely you have broken NUMEROUS rules in your life - so please drop the "immoral and unethical " holier than though attitude.[/QUOTE]
Ahh come on..why would anyone be JEALOUS? The prices on the cruiselines are about the same as any restaurant you would go to and sometimes even less expensive.

Convenience? What could be more convenient than calling 24 hour room service and having your drink delivered to you or mixing one yourself from the fully stocked bar in your room?

Do you [b][color=red]really[/color][/b] think that because some people feel that the rules are there and they think they should be followed is because they think they're better than others?

There have been zillions of posts replying to others who have asked what the prices are for drinks onboard so it's not like we don't have the opportunity to make our adjustments in our vacation plans to budget for life aboard the ship.

We're not going to smuggle on our horse because we want to go horseback riding in Cozumel or wherever we go horseback riding, we're not going to bring our own bicycles so we can save a few bucks from being "gouged" to go bike riding.

[quote name='Sailure']Ahh come on..why would anyone be JEALOUS? The prices on the cruiselines are about the same as any restaurant you would go to and sometimes even less expensive. [/quote]

I don't know - I am asking lddam why he has his panties in a bunch over what I and others do. Shoot, when he says "your activities in this regard is immoral and unethical. If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen" he must have some reason for doing so. I am just trying to find out what it is. Jealousy??? A belief he is better than others ???? Or I could list a few others - however I am trying to keep the thread civil :)

[quote]
Convenience? What could be more convenient than calling 24 hour room service and having your drink delivered to you or mixing one yourself from the fully stocked bar in your room? [/quote]

Pouring one from my own bottle - no wait - and I get EXACTLY what I want !!!

[quote]

Do you [b][color=red]really[/color][/b] think that because some people feel that the rules are there and they think they should be followed is because they think they're better than others?[/quote]

Ummmm - see above ====> I don't know - I am asking lddam why he has his panties in a bunch over what I and others do. Shoot, when he says "your activities in this regard is immoral and unethical. If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen" he must have some reason for doing so. I am just trying to find out what it is. Jealousy??? A belief he is better than others ???? Or I could list a few others - however I am trying to keep the thread civil :)

[quote]There have been zillions of posts replying to others who have asked what the prices are for drinks onboard so it's not like we don't have the opportunity to make our adjustments in our vacation plans to budget for life aboard the ship.

We're not going to smuggle on our horse because we want to go horseback riding in Cozumel or wherever we go horseback riding, we're not going to bring our own bicycles so we can save a few bucks from being "gouged" to go bike riding.[/QUOTE]

And your point is ?????

Oh, and isn't it ironic that you just ignored these factors:

1. When it comes to soft drinks, I love Mountain Dew. My daughter loves Root Beer. As far as I know, HAL stocks neither. Your choice is Coke or umm Coke (and maybe sprite or something similiar).

2. I don't really enjoy hanging out in a bar.

And most importantly - you ignored answering this question:

[quote]
Originally Posted by Sailure
Hmmm, I don't particularly care what anyone does as long as it doesn't affect me and the vacation I paid for. [/quote]

Well if you truly believe this (and I hope you do), then why all of your concern as you go on about others carrying their own drinks (and I am not just talking booze) onboard? Seems you say one thing but don't really mean it

With all the shore excursions that offer "free rum punch" or "free margaritas" why would anyone need to bring their own booze?

One reason I love cruising is because it is the only "real vacation" we get, where neither of us has to do a thing except show up for meals at a certain time. If I want to sit in a deck chair all day, I do that. If I want to participate in some of the activities offered onboard or on shore, I do that. It is my choice. It is the best vacation around as far as I am concerned.

On the Statendam, we took the "Snorkel & Sail Fiesta" excursion, and were offered free Margaritas onboard the catamaran (as many as we wanted.)

On the Fantasy last January, we took the Yellowbird Party Boat out of Nassau, and were offered free rum punch on board the boat (as many as we wanted).

Plus, on any given night in some of the lounges, 2 for 1 drinks are offered. We took advantage of this on many occasions, although we didn't stick strictly to it. If we were in the Piano Bar on the Statendam and the 2 for 1 drinks were offered only in the Crow's Nest lounge, we didn't get up and walk out of the Piano Bar. It was our favorite place on that ship.

Why would we need to bring our own?

'Til we sail on Rotterdam,

Mary Ellen

[quote name='catlib55']With all the shore excursions that offer "free rum punch" or "free margaritas" why would anyone need to bring their own booze?[/quote]

Ummmmm - sure if all you did was spend all 7 days of your cruise on that excursion.

Oh, and by the way - they aren't "free". Their cost is folded into the $110 per person you paid to sail on the catamaran

[quote]If I want to sit in a deck chair all day, I do that. If I want to participate in some of the activities offered onboard or on shore, I do that. It is my choice.
Mary Ellen[/QUOTE]

Yep - its your choice. And for some others, its our choice to bring our own beverage on board. Does that hurt you in some fashion? Does it conflict with your choices? I don't think so.

[QUOTE]I could see someone getting a little upset if I brought my blender and bottle of Rum poolside, asked HAL for an extension cord so I could plug it in, and whipped up my own libations but . . . .

Hmmm, come to think of it, I do have an extra extension cord at home. Lets see, throw that in the luggage as well and...[/QUOTE]

If you bring that extension cord from home you'll need a type C or F (aka "Schuko"), adapter in order to plug it into the outlets which you'll find in the public areas of the ship. The type C adapter is pretty standard in most universal adapter sets because it will mate with the "Schuko" plugs. Also, if you want your blender to run correctly, you'll need a step-down converter to take it from 220 AC to 110 AC. :) :) :)

[quote name='superstein61']I don't know - I am asking lddam why he has his panties in a bunch over what I and others do. Shoot, when he says "your activities in this regard is immoral and unethical. If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen" he must have some reason for doing so. I am just trying to find out what it is. Jealousy??? A belief he is better than others ???? Or I could list a few others - however I am trying to keep the thread civil :)

Pouring one from my own bottle - no wait - and I get EXACTLY what I want !!!

Ummmm - see above ====> I don't know - I am asking lddam why he has his panties in a bunch over what I and others do. Shoot, when he says "your activities in this regard is immoral and unethical. If you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen" he must have some reason for doing so. I am just trying to find out what it is. Jealousy??? A belief he is better than others ???? Or I could list a few others - however I am trying to keep the thread civil :)

And your point is ?????

Oh, and isn't it ironic that you just ignored these factors:

1. When it comes to soft drinks, I love Mountain Dew. My daughter loves Root Beer. As far as I know, HAL stocks neither. Your choice is Coke or umm Coke (and maybe sprite or something similiar).

2. I don't really enjoy hanging out in a bar.

And most importantly - you ignored answering this question:

Well if you truly believe this (and I hope you do), then why all of your concern as you go on about others carrying their own drinks (and I am not just talking booze) onboard? Seems you say one thing but don't really mean it[/QUOTE]
My point is that by doing something that is against the rules and it causes delay for me and other passengers to get on the ship, if you end up falling overboard because you choose to stay in your room and drink, if you get drunk and disorderly (I'm speaking YOU in the general sense), then it DOES affect me and everyone else's vacation.

Bringing on your own soda and soft drinks is NOT against the rules, bringing on a bottle of champagne and wine is NOT against the rules. Bringing hard liquor onboard is against the rules and even describing it as "smuggling" is admitting you (generally) know it's against the rules. Also, people starting threads asking others how they can "SNEAK" on contraband such as booze KNOWS it's against the rules.

My concern is why do many people in general feel that by "pulling one over on the cruiseline" is such an honorable thing?

If you KNOW something is wrong, then you (generally speaking) HAVE to know, if not by your own intelligence, that there are MANY people who don't condone this, so why even ask the question unless you're inviting an argument? You (generally speaking) will NEVER convince those that don't agree with you that what you're doing will be greeted with cheer.

I don't bring booze aboard ship from home because doing so is: (1) a big hassle, (2) not a big savings, (3) unnecessary, and (4) against the rules.

1. It's a big hassle to go to the trouble of going to the liquor store to purchase a fresh, unopened bottle, then figure out how to secure it inside my luggage so that it will not leak all over all my stuff inside by bags, and then to worry about it leaking anyway while in transit.

2. Once one does all of the above, the amount of savings the effort brings is tiny, at best (especially so when compared to the cost of the cruise in the first place).

3. It's also unnecessary; if I want to drink gin and tonic in my cabin, I can order a bottle through ships' services for roughly what it costs on land.

4. I would have to answer to my own conscious if I were to bring a bottle of booze aboard in a willful, premeditated contravention of the rules. For me it would be a sin, and hence it would bother me, so I don't do it. What other people do, and how other people feel about it, is between them and God (or, if they don't believe in God, their own moral center -- assuming they have one).

I just finished reading part of this thread to my mother over the phone. She laughed and said: "Anyone who is such a lush that they feel the need to sneak booze aboard in order to save money on their bar bills should probably be attending the meetings of the Friends of Bill W."

Gotta hand it to Moms ... they always know best. Mine is no "tea-totaler" -- indeed, she's known her share of lushes, and joined them in their debauchery -- but she certainly knows absurdity when she sees it, too. In her opinion, this one takes the Rum Cake.

Sailure: It is my understanding it IS against the rule to bring onboard your favorite soda. Also, you asked what going over the speed limit had to do with HAL. Simple comparison. Some were being quite sanctimonious that THEY would NEVER break a rule, even if it wasn't a law....that they followed rules. I simply asked if any of those people had ever gone 26 MPH in a 25 zone. That isn't breaking a rule, it is breaking the law, AND it puts me in far greater danger to have someone speed through my neighborhood than Superstein bringing his root beer and rum onboard. The whole extension card and blender at the pool thing does probably even out in danger to me being that pool deck is wet and the extension cord might not be UL Rated. So, Superstein, best leave the blender in your cabin. You can bring my drink up to me on deck!:) :D

I am a scotch drinker. I like to have a drink in our stateroom while I am dressing for (late) dinner. I have always brought my own on all previous HAL cruises. On our cruise that sails, [size=5]a week from today, [/size][size=2](just a little excited) I have ordered a bottle from ship services. I did this because it provides me the most assurance that I will be able to do this as we "sail away". However, since our cruise makes three stops in Scotland and, since every stop offers a shore excursion to a scotch distillary--what do you think will be the hold up at the pier as the security people try to find all those "wee drams" everyone bought to "ward off the chill"?;) [/size]

[quote name='Sailure']My point is that by doing something that is against the rules and it causes delay for me and other passengers to get on the ship, if you end up falling overboard because you choose to stay in your room and drink, if you get drunk and disorderly (I'm speaking YOU in the general sense), then it DOES affect me and everyone else's vacation..[/QUOTE]

Okay, by show of hands, how many people here were ever delayed getting on a cruise ship because someone in from of them in line was caught smuggling alcohol?

And even more unlikely, how many people here ever even heard of anyone falling overboard from a cruise ship because they got drunk in their cabin (on smuggled or legit alcohol)?

I was in the Navy 26 years and in all that time I was only on 3 ships where sailors went overboard and 2 of them jumped on purpose. Oh, and there was smuggled alcohol onboard those ships too.

It seems to me that there are 2 basic ideas being presented here. The first one is that smuggling alcohol is a violation of HAL policy and that willfully violating HAL policy is wrong. I agree with this 100% and also think that most people, even alcohol smugglers, think it is wrong too.

The 2nd idea is that if someone wants to violate HAL policy by bringing alcohol onboard that is a matter between them and HAL and other passengers should mind their own business. I agree with this 100% also.

This thread originally started by someone asking the best way to smuggle alcohol. Now in my opinion, people should only have replied to that if they had a good ideas or experience about smuggling alcohol, which was the topic of the thread.

When someone is asking advice on how to do something you (the collective you, not anyone in particular) should keep your moralizing to yourself and answer the question that was asked, period.

If you want to go on and on about how bad people are for breaking HAL rules about alcohol or anything else you should start your own thread about that and then people can chime in on that subject.

Right or wrong, the subject was "HOW TO BEAT THE BAR TAB?", not "IS IT WRONG TO BEAT THE BAR TAB?"

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Wow, I just had a great idea....I will start a new thread with the title...REAL EXAMPLES OF HOW MY CRUISE WAS RUINED BY PEOPLE BREAKING HAL RULES OF ALCOHOL SMUGGLING AND/OR FORMAL NIGHT DRESS VIOLATIONS.

[quote name='theduffys']I am a scotch drinker. I like to have a drink in our stateroom while I am dressing for (late) dinner. I have always brought my own on all previous HAL cruises. On our cruise that sails, [size=5]a week from today, [/size][size=2](just a little excited) I have ordered a bottle from ship services. I did this because it provides me the most assurance that I will be able to do this as we "sail away". However, since our cruise makes three stops in Scotland and, since every stop offers a shore excursion to a scotch distillary--what do you think will be the hold up at the pier as the security people try to find all those "wee drams" everyone bought to "ward off the chill"?;) [/size][/QUOTE]

Like you 'theduffys', we've always brought Scotch and Gin on board. It's pleasant to enjoy a drink while getting dressed and before we join friends in the Ocean Bar for pre dinner drinks. You say you've ordered from Ship Services - [B]please, how did you do that?[/B].

I've just downloaded HAL's Gift Order Form but there's no mention of Scotch and Gin. It is mentioned that there is an *Extensive list available*- how does one acquire that list?

I'm sure you'll be able to shop at the various distilleries and would assume that your purchases will be held for you until the last day. Wonder if they will confiscate those adorable miniature bottles? ;)

Have a great cruise and enjoy the Rotterdam, she's one of our favourites. :)

[quote name='theduffys']I am a scotch drinker. I like to have a drink in our stateroom while I am dressing for (late) dinner. I have always brought my own on all previous HAL cruises. On our cruise that sails, [size=5]a week from today, [/size][size=2](just a little excited) I have ordered a bottle from ship services. I did this because it provides me the most assurance that I will be able to do this as we "sail away". However, since our cruise makes three stops in Scotland and, since every stop offers a shore excursion to a scotch distillary--what do you think will be the hold up at the pier as the security people try to find all those "wee drams" everyone bought to "ward off the chill"?;) [/size][/QUOTE]

Like you 'theduffys', we've always brought Scotch and Gin on board. It's pleasant to enjoy a drink while getting dressed and before we join friends in the Ocean Bar for pre dinner drinks. You say you've ordered from Ship Services - [B]please, how did you do that?[/B].

I've just downloaded HAL's Gift Order Form but there's no mention of Scotch and Gin. It is mentioned that there is an *Extensive list available*- how does one acquire that list?

I'm sure you'll be able to shop at the various distilleries and would assume that your purchases will be held for you until the last day. Wonder if they will confiscate those adorable miniature bottles? ;)

Have a great cruise and enjoy the Rotterdam, she's one of our favourite ships. :)

Cruiseoften: I have my list right here from where I placed my order from Ship Service just this week. They have item

#LPGT Gin & Tonic Package. $27.50 One bottle Beefeaters Gin and 3 cans of tonic.

#LPSS Scotch and Soda Package $27.50 One bottle of Cutty Sark and 3 cans of Soda Water.

Hope this helps!

Phone 1-800-541-1576
FAX 1-800-207-3547

I was requested to list credit card information and booking number.

[quote name='superstein61']And people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Unless you can tell me you have never, ever broken a single rule in your life, then please keep your holier than thou comments to yourself.

I have no problem with folks disagreeing with my stance - but you can do so without these types of comments - because I am sure you have broken your fair share of rules in your lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Superstein61 -

I can't tell you that I have never broken a single rule in my life, but I can tell you that I have never KNOWINGLY cheated someone out of their rightful due or KNOWINGLY stolen money or services from anyone. My comments were not meant to project a "holier than thou attitude," nor were they meant to be condescending. If you look to the original post, the thread was established to respond to the concept of smuggling items on board. By HAL's policy, smuggling liquor onboard is against its policy and to do so diminishes its opportunity to make a profit. I should think that any rational person would conclude that such behavior is not in HAL's interest and is contrary to the passenger contract we all sign when booking. Thus, when we knowingly smuggle, we are, in fact, cheating HAL out of their due. Are you implying that this has no moral implications as to a person's character?

I wonder if you would so vigorously defend someone whose attitude concludes that it is perfectly OK to repeatedly steal your Sunday morning newspaper or shortchange you at the supermarket. By your logic, I see no difference between this and what others strive to do by cheating HAL out of its right to make a profit. Anyway you choose to "spin" it, cheating is still cheating, and a thief is still a thief. My "If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen" statement was meant to imply that if you can't face the truth of what smuggling indicates about your character, then don't commit the act. No amount of rationalization is going to change the reality of the nature of smuggling and of the smuggler.

As Beretta used to say, "If ya' can't do da' time, then don't do da' crime."

[quote name='Joedog']
I dont see how anyone smuggling alcohol has any effect on anyone else.

I'm not saying that it is right, I am just saying that other than lost revenues to HAL it is pretty much a victimless crime.

[/QUOTE]If HAL has to raise cruise prices because of lost revenue from smugglers then it's hardly a "victimless" crime...Guess who has to pay to make up those lost revenues.

I have never understood the concept "victimless crime" I don't think that it exists. In my experience every "crime" always has at least one "victim". The person perpetrating the "crime".

I see this all the time.

Linda

Ryansmom,

I can think of a few examples of "victimless" crimes, for example it some states and according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, oral sex (even between married people) is illegal and engaging in it is by definition a crime. It's kind of hard for me to see who the "victim" is there.

However I do agree that if HAL is forced to raise prices because of loss of alcohol sales revenues caused by alcohol smuggling than that would NOT be a victimless crime. I don't know that that is now or has ever been the case though. But if it is or has, I am/was wrong to call alcohol smuggling a victimless crime.

[quote name='Joedog']Ryansmom,

I can think of a few examples of "victimless" crimes, for example it some states and according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, oral sex (even between married people) is illegal and engaging in it is by definition a crime. It's kind of hard for me to see who the "victim" is there.

However I do agree that if HAL is forced to raise prices because of loss of alcohol sales revenues caused by alcohol smuggling than that would NOT be a victimless crime. I don't know that that is now or has ever been the case though. But if it is or has, I am/was wrong to call alcohol smuggling a victimless crime.[/QUOTE]

Joe,

You have a fine mind. I don't know how much education you have had, but I am impressed with you. I am serious. I mean it and I have the training to know what I am talking about. You are engaging in some serious thinking here. And, I've watched you're thought process evolve.

I would like to have a face to face conversation with you one day. I'll buy the drinks. You are getting into heavy ethical and moral territory here. You are dipping your toes into the realm of just and unjust laws and people's rights and responsibilities in those instances and the role of governments in those instances. A very interesting conversation. A very hot topic of debate. Especially in the post WWII world.

I do think, however, that discussion is beyond the scope of this forum. But, I like the way you think.

Bravo!!

Linda

I just read through this whole thread. Whenever there is change.. people rebel. My thoughts on HAL's recent changes to the liquor policy - they are just getting inline with the other cruiselines. Same things go with the auto tips.

All the nonsense name calling is silly. All of the reaction came from ONE comment on those in the [u]past[/u] bringing excessive booze on board ruining it for everyone (thus a change in policy). I didn't read it as people who BRING booze and break the rules are ruining anything. It's a matter of interpretation of the text.

No one here mentioned at all the possibility of a LIQUOR LICENSE change that may have caused the change in policy. Have you ever been to a wedding where they only allow you to bring your own wine and champagne and you must purchase mix drinks at their bar? I have. This is because of the rules of the Liquor License. I'm no expert on the laws of sea.. but my Dad owned a couple bars here and there are such rules.

Now.. Do I care that you bring your own?? Not really - it's your business and you are a grown up and can make that choice on your own. I'm too busy having fun on a cruise to play booze police and take notice.

Oh, and by the way - they aren't "free". Their cost is folded into the $110 per person you paid to sail on the catamaran

Don't know what cruise line you use, but the excursion out of Aruba that we will be taking "Snorkel and beach getaway" is only $39.00 a person. We've never paid $110.00 a person for any shore excursion.

Sorry if my comments offended you.

I can't agree with this and think you are way off base here with this "liquor License" thing. Each state in this country has their own liquor policy. This has nothing to do with a cruise ship selling liquor in international waters. The only policy change has been when the ship is DOCKED in Florida. Florida is enforcing a tax on any drink purchased. What other countries do when the ship is DOCKED I do not know. When a ship is in international waters they have no taxes to pay anyone.

I believe the cruise ships purchase their liquor DUTY FREE. Do you know what the mark up is on each drink? Plenty, a LOT more than any bar in this country. When I would buy a bottle in Hal's store, is was less than half and sometimes close to a third of what I pay in the US. Hal was still making plenty of money on these purchases.

I think if the cruise lines would lower their prices they would sell a lot more booze and still make their profit with volume. There would be a percentage of people who would not want to drag their own along if prices were better.
We used to buy a bottle of Bailey's from Hal's store for in cabin consumption. On our last cruise this was no longer available. Hal lost that profit they used to make for us.

[quote name='gizmo']I can't agree with this and think you are way off base here with this "liquor License" thing. Each state in this country has their own liquor policy. This has nothing to do with a cruise ship selling liquor in international waters. .[/QUOTE]
I don't think I'm way off base and I do know each state has their only policies. However.. if you could please provide some expert information on what the rules for pruchasing and selling liquor in international waters (not a novice interpretation), that would be of interest. What do cruiseships need to have in place in order to be allowed to provide alcoholic beverages on board?

I was talking about reasons for changing the rules on bringing booze onboard - not anything to do with prices, markups and taxes.. I really could care less about Hal's profit on alcohol purchases and that they don't offer certain brands. However, there's plenty of people here to contribute to your discussion that are more "onbase" of your mindset.

Archived