Beating the bar tab

joeinwpb

[quote name='Sailure']Maureen, psychologists with post-doctoral training in psychopharmacology in New Mexico and Louisiana can prescribe meds to patients and psychologists in Florida are hoping to be able to next year.[/QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS]That's interesting, but I believe Linda practices in Pennsylvania.[/font]

[QUOTE]AND, WHY are my" Sunday Go To Meetin" clothes NOT good enough for "Formal" nites?[/QUOTE]

I sometimes wear my "Sunday Go To Meetin" clothes on formal night. But I have church members who "Go To Meetin" in T-shirts and jeans (particularly in the summer). So ... what are your "Sunday Go To Meetin" clothes? If you're a man and your "Sunday Go To Meetin" clothes are a suit and tie or a pair of slacks, jacket and tie ... you'll be perfectly within the HAL dress code for formal night.

[QUOTE]I belive Linda said she was a license phsycologist - not a MD.[/QUOTE]

Linda referenced herself as a shrink, and I normally think of a shrink as being a clinical psychiatrist ... i.e., an MD who is specialized into Psychiatry. If she's a clinical psychologist then she still qualifies as a shrink, but in some states she won't be able to prescribe. I've worked with a lot of clinical psychologists ... both in referring people for counseling purposes and in direct professional connections (I'm certified in Clinical Pastoral Care and, in the past, I have served on the chaplain staff of a hospital).

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS]That's interesting, but I believe Linda practices in Pennsylvania.[/font][/QUOTE]
I think it's a moot point anyway unless I missed the post where Linda said she prescribes meds to anyone.

[QUOTE]I think it's a moot point anyway unless I missed the post where Linda said she prescribes meds to anyone.[/QUOTE]

She didn't ... I was JOKING!
Please ... folk ... lighten up!
I was kidding around.

This has been a good example of thread drift! :)

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for caring. I really mean it. I'm so happy to be noticed. Yes, I am a licensed psychologist practicing in Pennsylvania. I do not, may not, prescribe medication. I will say I have no interest in dong so, I will leave that aggravation to my psychiatric friends. It can be a nightmare and they are welcome to it. I prefer talking to people getting to know them, and helping them grow in the direction of their choice (most of the time, it has to be legal and not hurt anyone else. I know how some of you think)

Yes, I am sensitive to being flamed. I have to tell you, I don't have that TV shrink clinical detachment, especially in my personal life. But seriously, I don't think anyone who is "detached" can help someone with their feelings. We shrinks are human beings. Recently, I have felt flamed and gotten my feelings hurt so I've been a bit gun shy. Instead of pulling back and saying so long CC I decided to take a bit of my own medicine (non-pharmacological) and do something about it. And so I have been encouraging others to stop flaming, open up and talk, and be positive.

As far as my signature "Thanks for listening." I didn't mean listening in the literal sense. I know we can't hear each other. I meant listening in the sense of going beyond the sensory experience of reading or hearing. Listening involves understanding. It's what we do when we stop and think about what a person actually says or writes or does. It's what good shrinks do.

And you know something else? Tonight, I really feel welcome here. Thanks!

Linda ;) ;) :) :)

How many threads have you all seen that were like this one? My faith in HAL cruisers has been re-affirmed. The whole trick was to create respect for one another. Once that occurs everything falls right into place. This is an exceptional group.

I'll except a drink from Linda anytime. BUT! She must promise not to "shrink" it however. :D
PS: You are on my "Do [B]NOT[/B] Flame" list [U]promise[/U].:)

Happy to see my good friend Roadguy join us. Gosh! I didn't know he drank.:D

Heather: Wonderful meeting someone else from WPB. Sometime we'll [my wife included of course] have a coffee.:)

[quote name='joeinwpb']It's a plan then. If you do bring a blender. I'll grab a couple of bananas from some source on the ship. That's not an easy feat on a HAL ship. All I could find were sliced up bananas, except for one that I was able to procure from a kind buddy's fruit dish in his suite. All we ever got in class "B" were a couple of unripe apples.

This has been a good thread. I met several new friends. And enjoyed seeing some of my friends from the previous threads join in.[/QUOTE]

I know Joe - those Banana's are tough to find. Last time around, I had to pretty much stick with strawberries from the breakfast buffet. After a while, a nice blended libation with a banana, some rum, etc would have made for a nice change of pace :)

[quote name='Sailure']just on two threads - one debating formal dress, and one debating booze - I believe I have been called riff-raff, lush, alchoholic, low class and several others that I have forgotten now - all because some folks didn't agree with my stance on formal wear (I do not like it) and bringing your own beverage on board I favor it).>>>Superstein

[b][i][color=blue]WOW, you refuse to dress according to HAL's requirements for formal night, you don't want to abide by HAL's rules with reference to bringing on your own booze....[/color][/i][/b]
[b][i][color=#0000ff]You're just a regular rebel, aren't you???:D [/color][/i][/b]
[i][color=#0000ff][b]([/b]now don't get your knickers in a knot, I'm just kidding you[b])[/b][/color][/i][/QUOTE]

Actually I have conformed to the formal dress in the past - but no longer will. Its a silly little money making scheme from the cruise line - and why should I be uncomfortable - especially on a Caribbean cruise in the middle of summer? Now I am not going to show up in shorts and a tank top either - I will dress nicely - but no coat and tie for me. If that makes me a rebel - well, so be it :)

I agree with you, some people have to wear suits for work and when on vacation..that's what it is a vacation. On formal nite's the Lido sounds good to me. We never wear shorts to dinner well maybe at home.For the people who enjoy dressing to the 9's that's great you look nice and that makes the evening even more special. Everyone has a choice and should not be judged by their choices. We do carry a bottle for cabin consumption only, not pool or dining room just for our private use on the balcony in the evening. Know I will probably get what you called slammed for this but, nobody's perfect.

[quote name='vjb223']I agree with you, some people have to wear suits for work and when on vacation..that's what it is a vacation. On formal nite's the Lido sounds good to me. We never wear shorts to dinner well maybe at home.For the people who enjoy dressing to the 9's that's great you look nice and that makes the evening even more special. Everyone has a choice and should not be judged by their choices. We do carry a bottle for cabin consumption only, not pool or dining room just for our private use on the balcony in the evening. Know I will probably get what you called slammed for this but, nobody's perfect.[/QUOTE]

Yep VJB - No one is perfect and everyone has the freedom to do as they choose. Which is why I find it sad that some folks here have to judge others.

I would love to have that drink with you - while we relax in our casual clothes :)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]You have to love this thread! And it does remind me of an old game called "Telephone" where someone whispered to someone and it goes 'round the room and by the time it gets back to the original person it's completely different? I'm dating myself, but this thread really reminds me of that.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Linda, I think everyone was just having fun with the whole "shrink" thing. You have my respect because I've noticed you take enormous care and time with your observations.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Joe, absolutely coffee with your wife/my husband. But even better if it's on a big boat!!!:D [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Does anyone know why the thread "Stoned" got locked up by Doug? I can't figure that out.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082][b]Back on Topic[/b], it looks like smuggling bananas onboard makes more sense than booze because at least you can get booze on board!!![/color][/font]

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Does anyone know why the thread "Stoned" got locked up by Doug? I can't figure that out.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
If I had to take a wild guess.. It's possible someone reported the thread. Sometimes it takes a day or so for it to disappear. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that thread included personal attacks at someone. It's a shame the thread had to be removed as there were some funny posts there - but sometimes that needs to happen if such activites as mentioned occur.

[quote name='joeinwpb']How many threads have you all seen that were like this one? My faith in HAL cruisers has been re-affirmed. The whole trick was to create respect for one another. Once that occurs everything falls right into place. This is an exceptional group.

I'll except a drink from Linda anytime. BUT! She must promise not to "shrink" it however. :D
PS: You are on my "Do [B]NOT[/B] Flame" list [U]promise[/U].:)

Thank you Joe, and I'm going to hold you to that promise. And, Joe and everyone else, I don't shrink anything or anyone I'm not paid to shrink.
;)

Linda

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Linda, I think everyone was just having fun with the whole "shrink" thing. You have my respect because I've noticed you take enormous care and time with your observations.[/color][/font]

Thank you so much Heather. I enjoy your posts as well. you have lot's of good ideas to share and you speak from your heart as well as from your mind. I don't mind being called a shrink one bit. I think it's fun. Although I like to think I help expand people's minds not shrink them!
;) :D

Linda

Wow! What a trivial and meaningless topic! What pithy positions! It's reminiscent of earlier volumes of the GAGT in which we saw the lemmings line up in nice straight rows and march in lockstep to the edge of the cliff...perhaps it was Medicare, or "chads", or Iraq, or the drivel of domestic politics or "choice"...that Americans are awash in guilt (and anger) is obvious...that it has absolutely nothing to do with taking booze aboard a cruise ship is equally obvious.
A few points to ponder:
1. Any cruiseline's "policy" regarding their customers taking booze aboard is neither LAW nor SMUGGLING. It is simply a policy.
2. What quietly and legally resides in my luggage is abosultely, positively and forever NO ONE else's biz (not the cruise line's and certainly not PC posters here).
3. If the cruiseline - in it's diligent attempt to maximize onboard revenue (consistent, natch, with their ever-changing booze "policy") - wishes to inspect ALL luggage, that's their prerogative. If they do so because guilt-laden but oh so enlightened posters here have alerted them to the economic reality that a $7.95 "drink of the day" (plus 15% "service charge yet!!) is more expensive than my pouring from what's legally residing in my suitcase, so much the better. If their application of their policy creates additional "wait time" for some of you, print (no script allowed!) your reaction on the handy dandy comment card in your stateroom- because as you all know from experience, your comments are immediately implemented in the cruiseline's new and improved "policies"......................
4. None of this thread is about "beverages"..... it's all about "booze". When we straighten out our technologic terminology, perhaps we'll experience a touch of progress. Thanks for your ears.

For the most part I've avoided this thread. For the heck of it I decided to look at the last page this morning, without looking at the previous umpteen posts. The title is "beating the bar tab", but there is very little on this page about that. It's transformed into dress code (now there's a surprise) and something having to do with psychiatric help and who can prescribe medication.:eek:

Archived