Beating the bar tab

joeinwpb

[quote name='stillfrantic']I got my popcorn and lounge chair out long ago. I did love the suggestion to ask HAL for a special item if it wasn't offered on the order forms. I did that and am so glad it was mentioned. Now, if Superstein brings his own beverages, I do not care in the least. He'll enjoy what he brought, my husband will enjoy what I rightfully ordered from the company. Just because in the end Superstein and I went different ways doesn't change my opinion of him in the least. I don't watch the pool decks for brands which I suspect were not purchased on board. I save my butting into other's business for reporting the license plate numbers of those parent's who do not buckle their children into car seats. Now that is breaking a rule which does endanger an innocent person.[/QUOTE]

Thanks StillFrantic !!! Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I plan to - with my smuggled on rum and all. And perhaps now it is clearer to folks why people do this - especially in my situation where I drink so little throughout the year. I prefer a very specific rum which can't be found on board. So when I do plan to partake of a nice libation - I really want to enjoy it

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy]Is it me?:confused: Are you all having fun with this? Because I just need to say I agree with Dave. And I don't understand why Superstein responded to Dave (negatively again; big surprise) when Dave clearly said he was going to "ignore" Superstein.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]I've not been on these boards that long so many of you may be pros at this and see through to some humour. But to me, none of it's funny and none of it's productive. When I first read the thread I thought it was great! But it's become very nasty, IMHO.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Frankly, I found RevNeal's mom's comment very lighthearted and amusing and the only way I can imagine anyone seeing it as anything more than that is harbouring a small problem of their own. JMO.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]I still go back to the premise that there are rules, laws and policies everywhere we go in this world. You can choose to break those rules, but please don't rationalize it and defend it and try to make yourselves right. So have at it and it's certainly fine with me; it's defending the action that I find amazing.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]As far as HAL making a profit? Wake up call!! It's a business! I like the fact that they've lowered the overall cost of cruising. And we get to choose how much more we want to spend on a $10 picture of us, a $100/pp tour, etc., etc. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080] [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#000080]Been to a movie theatre lately? Try bringing food in and see what happens. [/color][/font]

Ahem...
A ship's cabin is not like a movie theatre, it's like a hotel. As long as I'm not doing something distructive, or dangerous to myself or another person it's none of thier business what I do in my room or what is in my suitcase.

p.s. I haven't brought alcohol onboard, but I see nothing wrong with ignoring rules which have no good basis other than picking your pocket.
[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=navy]Been to a movie theatre lately? Try bringing food in and see what happens. [/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]Dave, I wasn't comparing a ship to a movie theatre. It wasn't an analogy. I'm talking about rules, laws and policies. Not all rules have basis in whether or not you're doing something destructive to anyone. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]When you get your cruise ticket there is a contract included (this contact is available for viewing prior to booking). By accepting and paying for your ticket, you are agreeing to that cruiseline's policies. No one is forcing you to agree, you have a choice. By accepting the ticket, you accept the policies and agree to adhere to them.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]They are simply rules. Some choose to ignore them, some don't. But if most people chose to ignore rules, [/color][/font][font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo] there might be a lot of people driving along the breakdown lane during traffic. They might say, "hey, I'm not hurting anyone".[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]If we are left to decide for ourselves whether a law should be upheld based on whether we personally feel it has "good basis", then chaos will ensue.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]That's my story and I'm sticking to it![/color][/font]

[quote name='BigDave']Ahem...
A ship's cabin is not like a movie theatre, it's like a hotel. As long as I'm not doing something distructive, or dangerous to myself or another person it's none of thier business what I do in my room or what is in my suitcase.

p.s. I haven't brought alcohol onboard, but I see nothing wrong with ignoring rules which have no good basis other than picking your pocket.[/QUOTE]

APPLAUSE FOR THE WISE DAVE !!!!

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'] Because I just need to say I agree with Dave. And I don't understand why Superstein responded to Dave (negatively again; big surprise) when Dave clearly said he was going to "ignore" Superstein[/QUOTE]

You must be referring to little dave - not BigDave - as I agree 100% with BigDave. Why did I respond to little dave - because he posted another negative, judgemental, sanctimonious argument directed to me. I certainly have the right to respond and debunk his myths and illogical analogies.

Oh - and isn't it interesting that you only view the responses of those you disagree with on this issue as "negatie" - but find those responses from whom you agree to be lighthearted and funny.

Puhleeeeeze. spare me

[quote name='superstein61']You must be referring to little dave - not BigDave - as I agree 100% with BigDave. Why did I respond to little dave - because he posted another negative, judgemental, sanctimonious argument directed to me. I certainly have the right to respond and debunk his myths and illogical analogies.

Oh - and isn't it interesting that you only view the responses of those you disagree with on this issue as "negatie" - but find those responses from whom you agree to be lighthearted and funny.

Puhleeeeeze. spare me[/QUOTE]
Okay, Superstein, you're spared. Actually, you're wrong. I rarely agree with RevNeal. I just did this time. And I often agree with you, just not this time. For some reason this subject got you riled up. I don't know why. And it's not that I disagree with you; it was just a mood I had felt you set yesterday.

If I was wrong and you weren't 100% negative yesterday, than I'm honestly sorry. But it is the way I read it and a lot of others saw it, too. The issue was a hot one for you and the funny thing is that over 15 years sober, it's really not an issue for me. But policies are. And that's what I was debating.

Let's not fight, okay?;)

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']Okay, Superstein, you're spared. Actually, you're wrong. I rarely agree with RevNeal. I just did this time. And I often agree with you, just not this time. For some reason this subject got you riled up. I don't know why. And it's not that I disagree with you; it was just a mood I had felt you set yesterday.

If I was wrong and you weren't 100% negative yesterday, than I'm honestly sorry. But it is the way I read it and a lot of others saw it, too. The issue was a hot one for you and the funny thing is that over 15 years sober, it's really not an issue for me. But policies are. And that's what I was debating.

Let's not fight, okay?;)[/QUOTE]

Heather - fair enough. I tried very hard to keep this debate civil. Early on, I ignored and laughed at names like "riff-raff" that a few folks used to describe someone bringing on their own beverage.

But when someone starts saying we are lushes, belong in AA meetings (ie friends of BillW) or insinuate we are thiefs (an incorrect assertion) among other things, I am not going to take that without a response. So I may have aggressively replied to some of these folks - but certainly not without provocation. In any case, while I have no regrets in what I said to those I directed it to (they deserved it all and more), if someone on the sidelines like yourself was offended, I apologize for upsetting you

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]You see, Superstein, now I see you in a totally different light! You seem like a nice person. And maybe you were just riled up from some things that were said. But that's the problem with these boards sometimes because you can't always read between the lines. So I'm glad we've straightened this out.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Allow me to say, though, that there's nothing wrong with AA or Friends of Bill W. As one who way overdrank and had to stop or ruin my life, I wholeheartedly support these groups. Though you never would have guessed back then that I was a "lush", I was. A typical woman alcoholic who hides it beautifully. That may be why I liked those drinks in my cabin:p .[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Still, when these remarks are made I don't take it personally because I licked that and was surprised to find out I could still go on a cruise and have the time of my life. Just breathing the air around me makes me high.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Happy Cruising ... with or without the demon rum!!!:D [/color][/font]

:) It's not often when a thread comes up wherein I don't even have a clue, as to who is more right, or more wrong than the other. Seems like there's a whole bunch of people I like, going every which way.

I'm getting convinced there is no right, or wrong here. Just an [B]honest[/B] difference of interpretation, based on two different views points.
:)

If any of you good people are on one of my cruises. I extend a standing offer for a libation in my stateroom.

PS: There will be no discussion about how that bottle came to be in my room.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=indigo]You see, Superstein, now I see you in a totally different light! You seem like a nice person. And maybe you were just riled up from some things that were said. But that's the problem with these boards sometimes because you can't always read between the lines. So I'm glad we've straightened this out.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Allow me to say, though, that there's nothing wrong with AA or Friends of Bill W. As one who way overdrank and had to stop or ruin my life, I wholeheartedly support these groups. Though you never would have guessed back then that I was a "lush", I was. A typical woman alcoholic who hides it beautifully. That may be why I liked those drinks in my cabin:p .[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Still, when these remarks are made I don't take it personally because I licked that and was surprised to find out I could still go on a cruise and have the time of my life. Just breathing the air around me makes me high.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#4b0082]Happy Cruising ... with or without the demon rum!!!:D [/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Heather - thanks. QUite frankly I am a very nice person and you would love to meet me on a cruise. I am a fun loving guy who doesn't worry about many things. I will not get bent out of shape over what another person wears on caa cruise or what they do. Its their vacation to - they paid for it - let them enjoy it - as long as they don't infringe on others enjoyment. I will admit I have strong opinions and will argue my point vehemently, but I sincerely try not to take personal shots at anyone - until they cast the first stone. When I feel someone has gone too far and affronted me, then I will respond.

And yes - I am sure AA does tremendous work - but for another poster, who knows nothing about me or others who carry on a bottle of rum and a six pack or two of Mountain Dew and insinuate we are Alcoholics is wrong. I think we can debate things without reverting to these type of names.

just on two threads - one debating formal dress, and one debating booze - I believe I have been called riff-raff, lush, alchoholic, low class and several others that I have forgotten now - all because some folks didn't agree with my stance on formal wear (I do not like it) and bringing your own beverage on board I favor it).

The world would be a whole lot better place if people didn't judge others like this

[quote name='joeinwpb']:) It's not often when a thread comes up wherein I don't even have a clue, as to who is more right, or more wrong than the other. Seems like there's a whole bunch of people I like, going every which way.

I'm getting convinced there is no right, or wrong here. Just an [B]honest[/B] difference of interpretation, based on two different views points.

If any of you good people are on one of my cruises. I extend a standing offer for a libation in my stateroom.

PS: There will be no discussion about how that bottle came to be in my room.[/QUOTE]

Joe - you are right. I do not get upset over someone who doesn't bring their own beverage on board - if they want to buy drinks from HAl, more power to them. So why do so many get upset at others who do the opposite?

I would enjoy cruising with you - hell, I wwould even bring by blender to your cabin to help you with mixing those libations :)

[quote name='superstein61']Joe - you are right. I do not get upset over someone who doesn't bring their own beverage on board - if they want to buy drinks from HAl, more power to them. So why do so many get upset at others who do the opposite?

I would enjoy cruising with you - hell, I wwould even bring by blender to your cabin to help you with mixing those libations :)[/QUOTE]

It's a plan then. If you do bring a blender. I'll grab a couple of bananas from some source on the ship. That's not an easy feat on a HAL ship. All I could find were sliced up bananas, except for one that I was able to procure from a kind buddy's fruit dish in his suite. All we ever got in class "B" were a couple of unripe apples.

This has been a good thread. I met several new friends. And enjoyed seeing some of my friends from the previous threads join in.

[quote name='joeinwpb']It's a plan then. If you do bring a blender. I'll grab a couple of bananas from some source on the ship. [/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]Psssssst..............how about if I smuggle a couple of bananas in my luggage? Then I'll come sniff* whatever libation you folks are blending up and we're good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D [/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][size=2]Only problem with the entire plan is we're all on different ships[/size];)[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]*(for those of you who missed my other posts, I consumed my limit of alcohol at an early age. Hence, I sniff it instead and get my kicks that way:o [/size][/font]

[quote name='joeinwpb']:) It's not often when a thread comes up wherein I don't even have a clue, as to who is more right, or more wrong than the other. Seems like there's a whole bunch of people I like, going every which way.

PS: There will be no discussion about how that bottle came to be in my room.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there are very few things in this life that are truly Right and Wrong. If we could just understand and accept that then we would all get along and accept each other for the good people we really are.

That my friends is the point I have been trying to make all along. However, being the shrink that I am, I was hoping someone would figure it out because I don't want to be the know-it-all, shrink.

So let's stop arguing and putting each other down. The group hug sounds great. I'll buy the drinks for those who are interested.

And.....

[U]Do not flame the shrink. Do not turn on the shrink. She really meant well. She really is a nice person.[/U]

Linda

just on two threads - one debating formal dress, and one debating booze - I believe I have been called riff-raff, lush, alchoholic, low class and several others that I have forgotten now - all because some folks didn't agree with my stance on formal wear (I do not like it) and bringing your own beverage on board I favor it).>>>Superstein

[b][i][color=blue]WOW, you refuse to dress according to HAL's requirements for formal night, you don't want to abide by HAL's rules with reference to bringing on your own booze....[/color][/i][/b]
[b][i][color=#0000ff]You're just a regular rebel, aren't you???:D [/color][/i][/b]
[i][color=#0000ff][b]([/b]now don't get your knickers in a knot, I'm just kidding you[b])[/b][/color][/i]

Joe,
To answer the original questions:
No , I DO NOT smuggle liquor in to a niteclub, BUT if I were in there for aweek or ten days I might reconsider.
I don't see how bringin liquor onboard is somehow cheatin HAL out of money.

Please explain this to Me:
If instead of a bottle of Jack or a jar of shine, I bring a case of Boones Farm or Thunderbird, that makes Me more acceptable and proper?
It's bad enough that I have to bring a Mason jar onboard so I have a glass big enough for a decent drink.
AND, WHY are my" Sunday Go To Meetin" clothes NOT good enough for "Formal" nites?

[quote name='revneal']And she also has the Prozac. :D[/QUOTE]
I belive Linda said she was a license phsycologist - not a MD.. Big difference. One involves the medical board, the other major in phsychology and counciling in college. Here in Ohio you must be a MD to admin. medication.

I'm not flaming you Linda.. Although I do find it strange you seem to have some insecurities in this area always asking people not to do so. Also it's "thanks for reading" as no one here listens unless they have some sort of transcription software.

Archived