Bayonne Parking - Sticky Residue Still A Problem?

I thought I they had fixed the "paint" problem, and now I just read a review where this guy has had problems since his return, even after two car washes.

Anyone else have a problem?

I read that too and we were on the same cruise and parked in Bayonne...no problems for us.

I read it all too before my June 2nd cruise. We were pleasantly surprised when we got back- car was dirty and had a little something on it( its silver so shows it all) but whatever it was came right off with the first car wash. As I understand it rained here most of the week we were gone so whatever it was didnt really get baked with the sun- good luck- I wouldn't worry too much though. I think the problem may have been solved.

Been out of Bayone twice in the past two years & are going out of there again in September. Never had a problem with my car. In fact, continually looking for different cruise from this port as it is so convenient.

Park your car - get on the ship & have a wonderful cruise....:)

MrPete...Yup, still a problem. I think I may have answered a thread you were on right after my May '06 sailing of the Explorer??

Here it is, almost 3 months later.....about 12 washes, 1x wax job and 1x "claybar" job done to it and there's STILL something on the paint that was NOT there before the cruise.

Even my wipers (which we needed on the way home from the port) were immediately making a weird noise going across the windshield. My sunroof still makes the same noise when it's opened...like something got on the rubber?

My DH is very anal with our vehicles. They are hand waxed a few times a year. Most of the spots have since disappeared but the black paint it NOT smooth like it was....like it has an over spray or sand-type coating it. If I ever sail out of Cape Liberty again, I will cover my vehicle with a few cheap plastic drop cloths and tuck them in the hood, doors, hatch, etc.

Not sure if the weather.... rain, wind, sun, plays a factor in these results but I was told it rained most of the time in the NYC/NJ area while we were in Bermuda.

Linda

Just returned from the Explorer June 25th cruise and found specs of grey paint all over the car!

Tried to use a polishing compound with minimal success.

Seems as though where you were parked in this very large long term lot could have made the difference between paint and no paint. We were fairly close to the terminal building, but with the wild weather of the past week in NJ, the wind was whipping.

I will be writing to RCCL and the parking lot vendor - this is by no means a new problem, and there is no excuse for this happening again.

Wow! daveb82, that is very odd! My car was parked there during the same cruise as yours. We were about 3 rows from the terminal (very close) and I didn't get a speck of paint or anything on my car! What in the world could it have been to be so "hit and miss"? Very strange! I am sorry that you had a problem! I hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle.

Bonnie-

Make sure to run your hands over the car finish. When we first got in the car, we didn't notice anything. But as soon as we ran the wipers - the specs were apparent. If you run your hand across the car finish- make sure you don't have any "bumps". If your car is light in color, the specs may not be readily apparent. Hope you don't have those pimples!

I just went out and double-checked. She is as clean as a whistle! Actually, my car was cleaner when we got back from the cruise than she was when I left her! With all the rain they had while we were sailing my car got a nice "rinse"! ;) I would love to know what it is that caused some cars to have "dots" and others to remain untouched! It is quite a mystery! Sorry for your misfortune though!

Curious about the parking situation at Bayone...

is there a handicap parking area? I'm sure my DH will drop us and the bags off at the terminal but I'm sure since we're kind of in a hurry to get "on the road" when we return we might all get over to the car on the return. I'll be "stuck" in a orthopeadic boot for my broken foot but can hobble around.

Thanks for the info.

Carolyn

The walk to your car is actually not that far and easy without luggage... and I suspect they will give you the closest parking. You might be best to get the car and move it to the loading area anyway because when you walk in to parking you must must dodge outgoing and incoming traffic. You don't really lose any time pulling up to the loading area.

Coming in, on the other hand, if you use the drop off area you must circle around, pay for parking, and walk back and it takes about 15 minutes to catch up to the group you left behind.

Curious about the parking situation at Bayone...

is there a handicap parking area? I'm sure my DH will drop us and the bags off at the terminal but I'm sure since we're kind of in a hurry to get "on the road" when we return we might all get over to the car on the return. I'll be "stuck" in a orthopeadic boot for my broken foot but can hobble around.

Thanks for the info.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can't friggin' believe it, but we appear to have been a victim as well.

It's been 3 weeks since our cruise, and did not notice a single thing when we got to the truck back then(probably because I was looking for something more noticeable and sticky). Anyway, we finally got back to our 'real' home, and the wife just did the first wash. Sure enough, there are little "sand pimples" all over the surface of the truck. Just looking normally at it, you really can't tell (although I need to check it out in the sun), but boy, you sure can feel them all over, including the windows, the rubber, the plastic, everything....front, back, sides. I'm none too happy about this, as I'm sure there's probably nothing I can do. Somebody really should have their arse ripped for this crap.

I have neither the time, money, or patience right now to deal with this, so anyone with ideas that will work here? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I hope you will call and report it. If you are more than a couple of hours from the port they will ask you to have an insurance adjuster look at it and they will open a case. It may take a while but you will need to report it to the parking company and a manager at Bayonne Dry Dock.

Please post again to tell us what happens. I'm a bit anxious about our parking in October now. Last year I put a cover on our car but when we returned it had been removed.... luckily no paint.

Did any of you who were recently parked at Cape Liberty notice if there are shuttle buses that take passengers and luggage between the terminal and the parking lot (I don't mean the buses that take passengers to the ship).

When we were there two years ago they did have small buses that stopped at various points in the parking lot and take you to the terminal if it was too far to walk or if you couldn't handle all your luggage. We didn't need it then, because all our bags had wheels and we weren't parked that far away. I'm hoping to not need it this Sunday when we're leaving for Bermuda, but I'm just wondering if they still provide this service.

Thanks.

Laurel

I will be checking this thread till Oct. Thats when we will park in Bayonne to cruise for 9 days. Parked last Nov for the VOS. And no problem with our car. I had thought this problem was taken care of.

1. Got a better look in the daylight. It appears to be specs of red paint/primer all over the car. Since our truck is dark charcoal, you can't notice it by looking unless you really look closely, but boy, can you feel it. There's definitely higher concentration over the top surfaces. We had parked about the middle of the lot, and I too can't figure out why some people notice it and some don't. I have a feeling that most people have no idea, as we didn't notice until we ran our fingers lightly across the surface. Will try to track someone down on this, but I have a feeling we'll be touching our toes on this.

So, if anyone else from June 16 cruise, or other, has noticed the reddish specs, it would be great to compile a list, etc. Strength in numbers perhaps?

2. Yes, there is still a shuttle to take you from the parking lot to the terminal.

Thanks,

Chet

Will update when I have further info.

Thanks, Chet, for the info about the shuttle.

Sorry about your truck. We're taking our older car on Sunday, but I still hope we're one of the lucky ones. You'd really think by now this problem would have been resloved.

We were on the May 28 cruise to Bermuda and also found a sandy, gritty grayish residue on the vehicle. As we have a dark blue vehicle, it was pretty obvious. Since that time, we have had to purchase new wiper blades 2x because it is ruining the rubber and causing major streaks on the windshield. RCCL needs to think about building parking garages on the site to avoid this problem. I'm not sure where this residue came from since there were no ships in the drydock at the time (we were sure to check on this before parking because of the prior reports of problems). We will be purchasing a cheap car cover or tarp for future trips leaving from NJ.

Archived