Bayonne Parking - Sticky Residue Still A Problem?

Well, this is interesting.....Just for the helluva it (even though I had lots of info from the other board with contact info), I emailed the capeliberty person for rccl. Just got the reply back, as follows:

-----------------

Good Morning Mr. P,

First I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you sooner, Ken Peterson from the Bayonne Dry Dock will be getting back to you in regards to your car.

Bayonne Dry Dock promised us last year that this would not be happening again, unfortunately they did not keep their word.

Kind Regards,

Danielle L. Gaskins

Operations Administrator

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

14 Port Terminal Boulevard

Bayonne, New Jersey 07002-5039

ph. 201.823.3737

cell. 201.978.8265

fax. 201.823.3878

capelibertyadmin@rccl.com

http://www.cruiseliberty.com

----------------------------------------------

Only problem I see, is that last year there were a mass of people with the problem from the same cruise. As far as I know, that has not been the case with me so far. Of course, I'd need Bayonne to be honest and indicate that some place indeed was painting red that week. What are the chances of that? Stay tuned!

I emailed my new friend back and asked if anyone else had reported the problem the same week, or if there was reddish painting going on that week. I didn't want to waste anyone's time, ya know. Here's the reply, which just tickles my heart. LOL

----------------------

Mr. P,

Your claim, along with SEVERAL others, were given to the Bayonne Dry Dock all fitting the same description.

Kind Regards,

Danielle

--------------------------

ok, so Ken Peterson is the same guy we dealt with last year and then eventually w/their (Bayonne Dry Dock's) insurance company. This is so crazy that they haven't fixed this issue! I'm going to look into a cover for my car for Aug. because this happened to us already last year and it doesn't seem to be any better. Just keep after them, they had to pay claims last year, if they were stupid enough not to fix the situation, then they should pay them again.

Chet-

My car too was damaged while parked at Cape liberty Port June 16- June 25.

Same exact description.

Ken Peterson of Bayonne Dry Dock said he was unaware of anyone spraying red paint during that time. Funny thing was I NEVER MENTIONED anything about color!!!

Strength in numbers?

You've got at least one member in your army.

Thanks.

Dennis (madashell)

barbararn@rcn.com

Dennis,

That's great to hear! Did you talk to Danielle, or email her? If not, apparently there are more of us! Anyway, if Ken doesn't contact me Monday, I'll be contacting him. Will keep you up to date as well.

Chet

Chet-

I phoned Danielle AND faxed her parking info which she forwarded to Ken Peterson. Spoke with Danielle Wednesday asking what happens now, she said check with Ken. I am still waiting for his return call. Seems he is always "out in the yard".

How did Danielle return your correspondence?

I have also been emailing Allyson at 7 On Your Side- Channel 7 News asking for her help. Maybe if enough of us email her she will recognize this is a REAL problem and I am not some crackpot with a ruined paintjob trying to blame someone without merit!

Her email is: WABC7OYS@yahoo.com

I strongly caution anyone thinking of parking at Cape liberty to cover their cars or use a car service.

Not sure if this was asked before but I will be parking here in September and was wondering if they will allow you to keep the car covered while we are on the cruise. I saw a cheapo cover(20$) on line. I don't want to get it if they won't let me keep it on.

Sue

Chet-

Did you have any luck?

Have they even asked you to submit an estimate?

Thanks.

-Dennis

Sorry Dennis.

I haven't had a chance to call Ken during his work hours yet. He apparently doesn't have his own vmail, so I have to call during the day. I will try to call Ken tomorrow. Sorry for my delay.

My communication with Danielle was all by email, as you can see above.

Will be back in touch.

Chet

Well, I finally got around to calling for Ken Petersen. Of course, I had to leave a message. One thing I found interesting in talking with the receptionist........She indicated there were several messages for people calling Ken about overspray. Good to know I'm not alone, that's for sure! And I can guarrantee that there are probably atleast 50 more cars out there where people have no idea its on there.

If you're going to park there folks, I strongly suggest covering it. You just never know! And I'm speaking from experience. I parked there last July and had no problems. Then I read about the September problems, and then that it was all cleared up, so I parked there again this year. Voila! Paint!

Will update as we go.

Chet

Overspray will float in the direction of the wind at the time. That is why it is hit and miss. To get it off of your glass spray it with soapy water and scrape it with a single sided razor blade to remove the paint. If your car is fairly new and paint in good shape it can be color sanded and buffed. Clay will not take overspray off. If the paint is old or in fair to poorer condition it will probably not take a buffing and will need to be repainted. If the shipyard will pay, good for you. If not and you don't want to spend money on it, it will eventually wear itself slick but it will take a long time. A cheap car cover is good insurance. And if you can't do that, wax it just before you go and that will make it easier to get any overspray off in the event that it gets on there. Just some tips from a former professional auto painter.

Can't even leave a message at Bayonne Dry Dock- the message bin is full.

Cape liberty Port not returning calls either.

I wonder if it is possible to find out who insures Bayonne Dry Dock and contact them ourselves.

-Dennis

Can't even leave a message at Bayonne Dry Dock- the message bin is full.

Cape liberty Port not returning calls either.

I wonder if it is possible to find out who insures Bayonne Dry Dock and contact them ourselves.

-Dennis

I just called again today, Monday, and had to leave my name and number again for Ken. Receptionist said he wouldn't be back until Thursday. Give them a call, 201-823-9296, and see if they tell you the same. Also, I have their insurance info from the September fiasco, but I'm waiting to hear from Ken first, personally.

Here's the info in case you call:

Crawford & Company Insurance

Stephanie Hayes (dealt with issue last year)

518-346-4460

Let me know, and I'll do the same.

Chet

FYI - I put a cover on my car last year in October just after the first round of problems. When I returned it was off the car. I studied the position and determined that it was removed by someone. If the wind had done it it would have flown farther - probably out of the lot or against a fence. it was lying on the ground behind my car. I threw it out for fear that dirt got into it and it would ruin my paint finish to use it again.

In a nut shell, they were able to clean the light grey spec of paint off my black car with no problem although it took 3 months to get it resolved. They did bring in some company that specialized in this type of thing and asked people to bring their car to the terminal to get cleaned. It worked for many people. I was dealing with the same people as you. Ken Peterson and Crawford Ins. They paid a total of $1,400 for the cleaning and the 2 day car rental once I submitted the receipts. I asked the guy at the body shop what he used and he said they scrubed it with ERA laundry detergent and a nylon brush you clean non-stick pans with then waxed and buffed. Honestly, it looked brand new when it was done. While you are waiting, you can scrape the paint off the windows the a razor so at least the wipers are quiet.

My advice:

1. Keep on then. Part of my delay was the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. In the end they paid everything.

2. Post over on the Celebrity board to increase your numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of their passengers were affected.

3. Buy a car cover in the future.

Is not the attorney general of NJ involved in litigation over a cruise ship going to Canada instead of the Carribean? :confused:

If true, then maybe the authorities should look at this problem in their own backyard before everybody is afraid to park there and the business goes elsewhere :D

Buying a car cover is the answer to a problem that should not exist.

FYI - I put a cover on my car last year in October just after the first round of problems. When I returned it was off the car. I studied the position and determined that it was removed by someone. If the wind had done it it would have flown farther - probably out of the lot or against a fence. it was lying on the ground behind my car. I threw it out for fear that dirt got into it and it would ruin my paint finish to use it again.

I was at Costco today and they had a locking car cover for $30 so I bought it (we are sailing on Explorer out of Port Liberty on Friday). Was yours that easy to remove? I've never used a car cover but given that the one I got at Costco has a lock (albeit small) I would expect it to stay on.

I was at Costco today and they had a locking car cover for $30 so I bought it (we are sailing on Explorer out of Port Liberty on Friday). Was yours that easy to remove? I've never used a car cover but given that the one I got at Costco has a lock (albeit small) I would expect it to stay on.
Is the underside of youe cover soft? If not, I wouldn't use it. If it gets windy, that cover might stay on but the constant whipping agaist the paint will take the finish right off. Never cover a car with a piece of plastic.

Sorry I have been away from the post.

Spoke with Ken at Bayonne Dry Dock (finally)

he sounded very reasonable and suggested I get an estimate from a body shop and forward it to him.

I am planning to get that done this week.

Has he come out and personally inspected anyone's car thus far?

He also threw around figures of $140-$150 to get it removed and I have been given verbal estimates of ten times that amount so we will have to wait and see.

-Dennis

Well, some good news for current cruisers.

We just returned to find our car paint/residue free. :)

We parked close to the terminal; just to the right of it. Not sure if location plays a role.

And BTW, I was very pleased getting out of there so quickly. :) :)

Archived