Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

Another q... What about robes? Are there robes in the staterooms below suite-level?

Yes, there are robes in all the closets, which as someone already said, you leave in the closet after the cruise, or you get charged.

But, my son-in-law really liked the robe; it was the right length, weight, etc. You can purchase them onboard (can't remember where right now).

My other daughter had a coupon book which included a coupon that if you purchased a robe, you got a copy of the Towel Folding Book ($12.95 normally), which she gave to him. (She got the coupon book by signing up to go to the Carnival Cruise Vacation Club talk; Advice.....don't sign up unless you have a LOT of resistance....they are very pushy.....any if you look at it closely.........it is NOT a good deal)

On another note..........DO go to the Towel Folding Class........it is a lot of fun and you learn some new things.

on conquest deck 9 fwd port side found it last night on ship

they have a compass there and you can look at the heading

The Valor is the same deck, although I didn't see a compass (but I wasn't looking for one).

Great view of leaving or entering a harbor. Unfortunately, it is hard to see the below decks if you are short (I'm 5' 1"). Still, a great place to get pictures of the harbors.

OK all you Carnival experts who have sailed on her for years. Can someone tell me how often they have sales or discounts and any idea what to expect??

Someone posted that they have a biggest ever sale twice a month. Im guessing thats an exageration? Or do they have a couple sales a month?

I found that on the Miracle they have a little garden atrium by the Camp Carnival that you can walk thru..read and look out the window. My DH and I enjoyed this quiet place several times during that cruise..you can also print cards to take with you on the layout of the ship...simply use a word document...format in:normal 8pt bold: Times New Roman: 8pt and divide into for equal columns. Trim the excess paper and fold in half, and then laminate it. It will be about the size of a credit card and can have a hole punched in it to fit behind your S&S card. Make sure when getting the deck information that you go from forward to aft...that way you allways know where something is. I hope you find this as useful as I did while on my two cruises. :D

where did you find the infoto put on these cards? Do you have a copy already saved that you could email me? Let me know and I will give you my e addressGreat tip

I know they are suppose to charge you corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room but I hear lots of time, they don't. Any experience on this?

Also I called Carnival and they said; for special occasion you are allowed to bring 8 bottles of wine each, BUT it's up to their discretion when you board, whether this is allowed? Any expertise or past experience with thiis? I figure a special occsion: is just cruising with them!

Thanks

So none of you more experienced cruisers can tell me how often Carnival has sales or discounts on their cruises??

I know I already asked, but no one answered. Do they have 4 sales a year or anything that anyone remembers from this time last year? A spring sale. All I see is several nearby dates in mostly April that they are pushing, nothing in paticular on sale.

I just started cruising late last year, have cruised 3 times, 4th will be in April, so Im making up for lost time, but have no experience with what happened in the past this time of year or if there might be a Carnival sale.

So none of you more experienced cruisers can tell me how often Carnival has sales or discounts on their cruises??

I know I already asked, but no one answered. Do they have 4 sales a year or anything that anyone remembers from this time last year? A spring sale. All I see is several nearby dates in mostly April that they are pushing, nothing in paticular on sale.

I just started cruising late last year, have cruised 3 times, 4th will be in April, so Im making up for lost time, but have no experience with what happened in the past this time of year or if there might be a Carnival sale.

Hey Jonathan! Carnival does do sales, though I can't tell you exactly when. Your best bet, is to sign up for email updates from the company. That's how I found out about the last one-day sale they had. Also, Carnival has a "lowest price guarantee" so if you book at full price, and the rates drop all you have to do is call and they'll give you a refund or ship credit to use! Also, check with a travel agent on sales and such. They should know when the "big" sales happen each year!

Hope it helps!

I know they are suppose to charge you corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room but I hear lots of time, they don't. Any experience on this?

Also I called Carnival and they said; for special occasion you are allowed to bring 8 bottles of wine each, BUT it's up to their discretion when you board, whether this is allowed? Any expertise or past experience with thiis? I figure a special occsion: is just cruising with them!

Thanks

We usually bring a bottle of wine or champagne with us to dinner once or twice while cruising. So far we've never paid a corkage fee. Of course, we also usually tip our waitstaff in advance (very generously I may add) so that might have something to do with it! They're usually more inclined to let the rules slide when they've already been compensated quite well!

Thanks. I have already bugged my TA several times over my cabin which I hand selected. She is a small TA and I have to call her long distance each time, but she is part of a friend's group of Texas cruisers I hope to become part of is why I used her (having second thoughts).

She hates Carnival and is a big RCI fan, so she doesnt seem to be any help about Carnival. Thats why Im asking here if there was any pattern to the sales last year if anyone remembers.

Before booking my Carnival request on the Conquest, she first told me about the thin walls on the cabins on Carnival and how I would hear a lot more sound and the service would not be as good as RCI. I pointed out to her there are no RCI cruises out of Galveston this fall so she went ahead and booked the Conquest last week.

So asking my TA about if she remembers Carnival sales and if she remembers if there is a pattern or I have much hope of any future sales...she isnt going to have an answer, she must not book many Carnival cruises she is so against Carnival :(

Im just hungry to soak up everyone else's knowledge here.

Carnival has sales sporatically. Just sign up for email updates and you'll get them often. I'm sorry ot hear your TA is being a jerk. That's sad, get a new TA. Everyone will always have their own opinion of Carnival, it's what you make of it. Best wishes and have fun.

firefly-- We used to book through a TA, but our last two cruises we booked directly through Carnival. Now we have a PVP (personal vacation planner) @ Carnival, and I just call her directly and she finds the best discount for us. Every once in awhile, I call her to make sure the price hasn't gone down since I booked the cruise. If your TA isn't Carnival-friendly, this might be an idea for booking your next Carnival cruise.

AND...the Carnival # is an 800 number!

The military discount is awesome. We just booked our second cruz with Carnival directly and they offered the militray discount and she asked why I didn't use it on our first cruz. I told her it was never offered by my TA and she said that is becuase it reduces their commission. Our first carnival was $700 pp for ocean view on celebration, September 16 this year we have a penthouse suite on Legend for $1300 pp.

I will never use a TA again.

I'm sure that TAs can offer a military discount, but I booked my cruise directly through Carnival and then went to my TA to see if she could beat/match it, and she couldn't come anywhere close. My Carnival agent booked me, my fiancee, and his daughter for a 5-day cruise on Elation during Spring Break using his military discount for $1075, incl. taxes & fees! (but not tips or excursions, of course.) That's only $358 a person! :D Granted we have an inside cabin on the Riveria level, but who cares - we're not going to be in the room that often.

Oh, and I really, really, really like this thread. There's a lot of great information here.

My TA isnt really a jerk, but she is pro RCI as are the rest of the group from Texas I want to travel with. The problem is the future of RCI seems iffy out of Texas. I was not willing to pay the current price on the RCI trip in January everyone else signed up for, it would cost me more for an inside cabin as they paid for their aft balconys. So thats why Im signing up for the Conquest. I was on the Ectasy so I have some idea, I just dont really remember the noise from other cabins that much, it was several cruises ago.

I got the same reaction when I talked to another brick and mortar about maybe signing up for the Norweigan Dream, she told me how horrible it was and I didnt use her when she could not even get me the same price as I could get direct. This other TA at least booked me I just dont like how Carnival doesnt let you see your cabin # when you sign into your reservation, now that I see other cruise lines do.

A TA giving her opinion that she doesnt like Carnival is just someone giving their opinion, doesnt make her a jerk, just a human trying to be helpfull in her own way. Next month will be my first RCI cruise, so I dont know if she is right or wrong when she says RCI is much better than Carnival. I do know Im not willing to pay more for an inside cabin than the others paid for a balony.

Im willing to be convinced by any cruise line and keeping an open mind until I cruise more and can form my own opinions.

The TA did put down a deposit on a cruise that I picked, I was just hoping the price dropped is all. I keep reading about it here.

I personally am so glad it's now a q&a forum. There has to only be so many secrets before you run out. These questions and answers have been so helpful for me. I feel like I am totally prepared for my first cruise. I'm leaving Thursday on Elation to Freeport and Nassau. I can't wait.

Question1: Do the two-way radios work well on board? Still debating on taking them. My hubby and I depend on our Nextels on land, but don't want to pay the charges for them. We have 2 long-distance Motorola radios we can take.

Question2: Does Elation have a chocolate buffet? I've heard some boats do and some don't.

Question3: Is there still a topless deck? dh has heard the rumors that they don't exist anymore--poor guy.:cool:

Thanks for ALL of your helpful info!!!

Question1: Do the two-way radios work well on board? Still debating on taking them. My hubby and I depend on our Nextels on land, but don't want to pay the charges for them. We have 2 long-distance Motorola radios we can take.

``````````````````

There's so many people using walkie-talkies on board. We thought it would be great to keep in touch with the kids but when you're sitting in a quiet area and someone elses kid is shouting to whoever and playing silly games with them it makes them useless. You need a code to switch channels because if you say outloud "go to channel 4" or whatever, the game players simply follow to be stupid. We just made a code that when we said "Switch" it meant go up 2. That worked at least for that specific issue but there were still people talking on all channels and it's really useless if you are doing something where everyone around you can be bothered by the noise which is just about everywhere. We found them to be a big waste of time.

NOW...about your nextels.....for the first time on a cruise my nextel WORKED at a couple of the ports! I was SOOOOO HAPPY! I was able to beep home and check on everyone without paying the crazy phone fees! I just can't even relay how much that made my day!

Thanks for the advice on the radios.

Did you incur any extra or hidden charges when you used your nextels? Dh and beep eachother quite often throughout the day. (on vibrate and with speakers off so we don't disturb others)

I'm just thinking, it would be handy if he's running to the room, and I need him to grab something (because I'll be firmly planted on my deck chair teehee):D

Thanks!

I never did check my bill but I used the nextel quite a bit and I didn't notice anything about my bill so I would make an educated guess that it wasn't extra and if it was it wasn't a noticeable difference (or else my husband would have freaked!)

We kept trying to make actual phone calls with it but had issues there because the message was in spanish (lol) so when we went to port we found a nice guy who translated for us. We never did get a call to go through but at least we had out 2-way feature. :)

(come to think of it that was in belize where the man helped us so we must have had some service there too.)

I personally am so glad it's now a q&a forum. There has to only be so many secrets before you run out. These questions and answers have been so helpful for me. I feel like I am totally prepared for my first cruise. I'm leaving Thursday on Elation to Freeport and Nassau. I can't wait.

Question3: Is there still a topless deck? dh has heard the rumors that they don't exist anymore--poor guy.:cool:

We bought some two way radios ON the ship last week. We bought the 17 mile radius ones. They worked just great on the ship AND in the ports. Only had to switch channels twice in the whole week. I found them to be very handy.

We were on the Miracle but there was no topless deck there. At least if there was I didn't see it and we were on the Lido deck many times.

Kim

Thanks. I have already bugged my TA several times over my cabin which I hand selected. She is a small TA and I have to call her long distance each time, but she is part of a friend's group of Texas cruisers I hope to become part of is why I used her (having second thoughts).

She hates Carnival and is a big RCI fan, so she doesnt seem to be any help about Carnival. Thats why Im asking here if there was any pattern to the sales last year if anyone remembers.

Before booking my Carnival request on the Conquest, she first told me about the thin walls on the cabins on Carnival and how I would hear a lot more sound and the service would not be as good as RCI. I pointed out to her there are no RCI cruises out of Galveston this fall so she went ahead and booked the Conquest last week.

So asking my TA about if she remembers Carnival sales and if she remembers if there is a pattern or I have much hope of any future sales...she isnt going to have an answer, she must not book many Carnival cruises she is so against Carnival :(

Im just hungry to soak up everyone else's knowledge here.

i use carnival PVPs and i was very lucky to get a good one. of course i cannot post her name here but you could also email me and i will get you her information. i only cruise with carnival and she has always given me good deals. i don't know about the sales but i do know that in November and December, there are always VERY good deals like 7 days for $300, 4 days for $199, etc. my email is epsilva@signmediasystems.com if you're interested in her information.

ok, i know i hate doing laundry, especially on vacation. I find it easier to pack half the clothes I need so there's more room in my suitcase for souvenirs, so I'll do a load of laundry on the ship. I know it costs, but since it's mainly shorts, undies, socks, tshirts, and tanks - it's a light load. Done that before and it helps me if I did it late at night. I wouldn't have to go nuts when I get home and do a ton of laundry. Plus, I have to work the next day after getting home from vacation.:( I also am packing snacks, like organic cookies and regular chips. Last cruise, I even packed a bunch of bottled water.

on all the carnival cruise i have been on there is usually a laundry special day. more times than not it's the second to the last night. the room steward will leave a paper laundry bag in your room and you fill it to the brim. they wash and fold for only $15. it's worth it to me so i don't have a ton of laundry to do when i get home. just a tip that i have not seen very much on this thread.

Holy smokes! That was a lot of info to go through... we are heading out on the Spirit in 2 days, and this info has been phenomenal! I am utilizing a bunch of these tips and one more that I hope works. I will report on that one when we return next Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived