Passports

shofer

Does anyone know how long it's taking to get your passports back after you apply for the first time? My DH is a big procrastinator and I'm afraid he is going to wait too long. I got mine last year and got it back in a month but it was also a renewal. He is a naturalized citizen and afraid to send his papers in because they might get lost.

Many people are reporting 3-4 weeks, but I'd give it longer than that. If there is a problem of any kind, it can slow the process. I have read (here) of problems stemming from the gov't needing additional documentation to having a similar name as someone with a criminal record. If a person is behind on child support payments, that can withold a passport until the payments are caught up. Sometimes further investigation is needed and we all know the government is not known for their expedience.

I'm not saying your husband will have any of these problems, it's just best to get the application in 3-6 months in advance of travel.

I applied for mine on May 18 and recieved it on June 29th. Also, you can always have your passport expedited- it costs about $60 more, but worth it if you are crunched for time. I know when I applied for mine I was told that my passport should reach me in time so to apply for it in the standard manner, but if I don't recieve it in time I can always call up and have it expedited. Hope this helps!

My husband and I applied for our passport renewals on May 18th and they just arrived in the mail today (July 1). We were told 6 weeks to get them back when we applied and it took the full 6 weeks. Now they are saying 8 weeks because this is the peak season for new passports and/or renewals. So if you are planning on going anywhere before the 1st of September, I would have it rushed. That cost quite a bit more but would certainly relieve the stress of hoping everyday it was in the mail.

Emily

Hi I have a real problem and have run out of places to look for the answer, I have a foster son who is Downs Syndrome, he is now 22 years old not a baby anymore, who has lived with us for 4 years now. So of course we wanted to take him with us on the cruise we are going on. Well he wasn't born here in US he was born in Canada, he was adopted here (not by us)when he was 4 years old and has lived here his whole life since. How do I get him on the ship with no birth certificate, I was told he could get a copy of the final adoption degree, but I was told that this wasn't acceptable at the port,OR BY CUSTOMS, by my TA. I asked a postal clerk while applying for my passport last week,what I could do he had absolutely no clue was his response.I was told to call immigration, and I have no idea how to do that, or where to find a telephone number for them. Someone out there must have an answer.. please help. We live in Ma. if that is any help. Our cruise is Sept 9,2006 out of NY.

Elaine:confused:

P.S I'm not even sure if this is the right board to ask this question, but if it's not someone please move it to where it belongs!!!!

I applied for a first time passport on Aug 22 2005 and got my passport on Sept.14. It was about the same time frame for two friends who applied at the same time I did.Just give yourself enough time just in case.

Archived