Problem on RCCL - What type of Compensation do I expect? (merged)

Thanks for the update Rich... we definitely know you were not trying to just "get something for free"- I would think that RCL should be able to see the truth eventually.... let's hope they compensate you appropriately.

We are behind you! It seems like it will take a couple weeks before you get some kind of response. Hang in there....

Rich - I'm so glad to hear from you again. I hope they treat you right and you give them another chance. I'm hoping this was just some freak mistake how they handled it. Please let us know if you do get a voucher and re-book for another trip. Hopefully some of your supporters could join you on that ship and really have a whopping good time together. I feel like I know you now. I've heard some of the people on the "bleaching" cruise were going to get together for a reunion. Maybe we could get together for a "Lets show Rich a great time cruise" anyway - I'm always looking for any reason to book another trip. Good luck to you- Elizabeth

other than you're carpet problem how was the cruise?

I've had my share of problems dealing w/RCCL and customer service (long story, but has to do with treatment/mistreatment in medical department) and find that it's a problem you have across ALL cruiselines.

Good luck with your resolution.

I followed your original post, and sent good thoughts your way even tho I decided not to post (since there were hundreds - and there were some I am STILL going "Say what?" about) But I thought this was an opportunity to tell you that I am sorry for your disappointments, both with the cruise, the staff, and some of your fellow 'cruise critics'. You showed remarkable restraint IMO, and I continue to hope for the best.

Rich, just so you know what the lady on the 800 # was saying is true, we had an on board experience similar to yours (not even close to as bad though) that we tried to get cleared up on board just as you did and had the little success as you. I contacted RCL in Miami and was told the same thing, they had to wait until the logs were downloaded and it would be about three days before they got back with me. Well guess what, exactly three days later they called, agreed with me that we were not treated as they would have liked. They gave us compensation that we were happy with.

Hang in there and lets hope it goes equally as good for you as it did for us. We are loyal RCL cruisers and still are because they TOOK CARE OF US!!!

Tim & Crystal

Hi JRK!!

How did the rest of the cruise go for you??? I am so sorry to hear about your horrible situation. Have my fingers crossed for you!! I feel so terrible about it!!

We are happy to report we had a ball on the same cruise. Our best ever.

I did state my opinion in the other thread so I cetainly won't rehash that here, but I do wish you the best of luck and I certainly hope you get what you are most definitely entitled to.

Don't let it go on too long before you call them again.

Marilyn

Here is the response I received today from RCCL in Response to an e-mail I sent concerning the Explorer of the Seas.....

Dear Mr. & Mrs. XXXXX:

Thank you for your inquiry through the Internet to our executive offices regarding your future cruises with Royal Caribbean International. Messrs. Fain and Goldstein appreciated hearing from you and have asked me to review your e-mail and respond on their behalf. As Platinum Crown and Anchor members we value your loyalty and welcome this opportunity to address your concerns.

As great measures are taken in all areas of operation to ensure that our guests' cruising expectations are completely fulfilled, it is especially disappointing when circumstances disrupt the voyage despite all our best efforts. We are troubled to learn of your concerns pertaining to the incident detailed in the Cruise Critic website regarding one of our guest's displeasures onboard the Explorer of the Seas. We are genuinely disappointed to read of these concerns and can assure you that in situations such as these, our onboard staff will do everything in their power to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

Your e-mail expresses your happiness with the service received during your past cruises. While we do not anticipate any problems with your staterooms in your upcoming sailings, please rest assured that our Guest Relations staff will gladly assist you should any problems arise. This would include resolving any pertinent issues or relocating you to a more desirable stateroom, if necessary, should there be additional staterooms available. Additionally, please note that you are always welcome to contact our offices to further address any concerns that you feel have not been appropriately handled while onboard.

Again, Mr. & Mrs. XXXXX, thank you for contacting our executive offices. We thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Monarch of the Seas in December.

Sincerely,

Joan Bernheimer

Sr. Executive Representative

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your inquiry through the Internet to the executive of offices of Royal Caribbean International. Messrs. Fain and Goldstein appreciated hearing from you and have asked that I review your e-mail and respond on their behalf.

As great measures are taken in all areas of operation to ensure that our guests' cruising expectations are completely fulfilled, it is especially disappointing when circumstances disrupt the voyage despite all our best efforts. We are troubled to learn of your concerns pertaining to the incident detailed on the Cruise Critic website regarding one of our guest's displeasures onboard the Explorer of the Seas. We are genuinely disappointed to read of these concerns and can assure you that in situations such as these, our onboard staff will do everything in their power to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

Furthermore, we are sorry that you feel that the excellent customer service Royal Caribbean International is known for, has declined. Your e-mail indicates that you have previously enjoyed your cruise vacations with us and, while we cannot predict or guaranty that there will not be any problems onboard a future sailing, please rest assured that our Guest Relations staff will gladly assist you should any problems arise.

Again, thank you for contacting our executive offices. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you onboard a ship in the near future.

Sincerely,

Joan Bernheimer

Sr. Executive Representative

Seems like the type of vanilla response that one may expect from RCI to the last two people on this thread. To the OP, we also received a taste of the poor customer service you received on our most receent cruise on the AOS. Our TA implored me to write a letter to the Senior Managment at RCI. I did and advised them that for the time being they have lost us as a customer of RCI. There are other options out there and I agree with the poster who wrote about the type of negative advertising this has created for RCI. Good luck to you as you pursue this claim with RCI.

John & Shari

I have an upcoming Freedom cruise in August that is already paid in full, but I may not sail Royal carribean again...atleast not on the explorer! They should atleast give back the % of 5 days.

I have an upcoming Freedom cruise in August that is already paid in full, but I may not sail Royal carribean again...atleast not on the explorer! They should atleast give back the % of 5 days.

Not that I don't sympathize with the OP's situation but why would you cancel your cruise because of a problem in one room on a very large ship?

Not that I don't sympathize with the OP's situation but why would you cancel your cruise because of a problem in one room on a very large ship?

EXACTLY. We just got back from the Eastern Caribbean run on Explorer and it was nothing but 5 stars across the board! Oh my goodness, Mrs.G please don't reconsider your entire vacation because of this one thread. This is only one example of a very extreme situation. On Explorer, we found absolutely nothing to complain about - everything was superb and we would sail on her again in a second!

Why don't you read my review (04/06), and some of the others' reviews, written by members here. They are very informative and may help settle your mind about this. Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=186

Edit - nevermind, I see you are on Freedom and not Explorer. Sorry about that.

Hi everyone, Its me again. I first want to thank everyone for their advice. I did recieve compensation (I have the certificates in hand). I am not sure if I should be saying what it was, but it was a "credit" towards a future cruise & I am pretty satisifed with the end result.

I will post more once I get the "OK" from folks that this is the proper thing to do.

I'm sure many people will be very curious about the details, and while I don't know who you would be looking for an "OK" from, it is my opinion, and clearly stated as such, that the details are your business, and your business alone. The fact that you are satisfied closes the chapter for me, and I am very glad that it ended up that way.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to educate all of us on how to better handle such a situation. Those of us who read through these threads are much better prepared should some similar circumstance arise on a future cruise.

Theron

I, too, am glad that you arrived at an solution to your situation. Enjoy your next cruise on RCCL.

We also had a situation (OK a problem) on one of our cruises, and dealing with the Guest Relations Manager........it was resolved on the last night of our cruise.

No one needs to divulge the credit..........but ours was a percent towards the next cruise in the same catagory of cabin, and ship. We truly did not expect it.

Rick

Hooray for you! It doesn't matter what credit you received just so long as RCL finally made all your trouble a little worth while! We all appreciate your efforts and letting us know what may or may not work. At least it gives me a little more nerve to be asstertive and will relieve my husband when I freak out on them for problems they should handle! Was it the letters to Fain & Goldberg thatfinally paid off? I will continue w/RCL, having 2 cruises booked @ the moment and hope I never have need of the advice. These situations, viruses & missing pax should have the powers that be on their toes for a while!

I am glad you are satisfied with the resolution... unfortunate that you had to deal with any of it... thanks for sharing... I know you caught some flack, but personally, I am a wiser consumer because of your experience!

Enjoy your next cruise... I hope it is totally uneventful ;)

A~

Archived