What to do in Warnemunde

We are sailing on the Constellation on 7/29/06. We just got word yesterday that our German friends, who had planned to pick us up there for the day will not be able to come. Because they were coming, I really have not researched this port, so need some help on what is available to do there. We do not want to go to Berlin. I think we could take a train to Rostock, but what is there to do there? It is such a long time in port, and one of the last ones, so we want to do something fun. Thanks in advance for your help.

Joy

Hi!

We returned less than 2 weeks ago from a glorious Baltic cruise. We too opted against going to Berlin, as it would be a very long day which might well wipe us out energy-wise for the rest of the trip. As you know, Baltic cruises are very port-intensive, with spectacular stops in some of the world's most magnificent cities. There is little time to slow down and relax between ports. Warnemunde, however, is the place to do just that. It is VERY walkable, enjoyably so.

The town is small, charming and quaint, like a theme park but REAL! It was a joy for us to simply wander through the narrow little streets (the "downtown" leads to an interesting residential area). We made our way to the lighthouse (not far) and had a wonderful lunch there at one of the restuarants in the "Teepot"! It was heaven to sit on the terrace, enjoy our lunch, and take in the ocean breezes coming across the beach. We bought reasonably priced souvenirs there for grandchildren, including miniature lighthouses. As we are originally from Rhode Island ("the Ocean State"), we love walking along the beach. One of the men in our group actually went swimming in the ocean and said it was "lovely." (Probably too cold for me, but you might consider doing this).

We did take the train to Rostock (bought a pass for $5 in the tourist info center, which nobody asked us to show), following which we needed to take a bus (which they call a "tram"), and after several days of Medieval buildings, we had become weary of this -- the hot, humid weather did not help. We did visit the Viking Museum housed in the basement of a bank (yes) and also a museum that was formerly a monastery or nunnery. This place was very restful and peaceful. Otherwise, Rostock is a city much like cities everywhere, with the same old stores (which we weren't interested in anyway). Then we had to make our way back to the bus which took us to the train back to the ship. We found that in this part of Germany there is not as much English spoken as in the other ports. Nevertheless, everyone was extremely helpful, even if it meant "sign language" of a sort. All in all, we were wishing we had remained in Warnemunde for the day and enjoyed the cool breezes.

The continuous videos on the ship regarding each port were quite helpful, but we found that making our way to and through Rostock was not as simple as the port director's talk led us to believe. Taking the train was easy enough -- it's close to the dock, but then getting the RIGHT "tram" was a bit more complex.

We also LOVED Visby, Gotland (Sweden) and hope you get to see this too. (On our itinerary, this was the only place where a tender was used, and the tourist info center is immediately across from the tender landing.)

Happy traveling!

ML:D

Thank you "ML". This is just the kind of information I was hoping for. We have traveled often in Germany, so know a few words, especially understand signs, etc. We have often used sign language to communicate and it is amazing how much you can do so in spite of the language barrier. Warnemunde sounds like a delightful village and we will enjoy spending time there. Since we are in port so long (7:00 a.m. - 9:30 p.m.) we will no doubt make our way to Rostock also. Thanks again.

Joy

Both places have good web-sites, including web cams, city and transportation maps, and are available in English. I'm on this cruise and am going to go on to Copenhagen as soon as we get to Warnrmuende on the ferry which leaves from Rostock (to Gedser, Denmark, and then on to Copenhagen) since there is so little time there. Hope to meet you at the CC party!

http://www.rostock.de http://www.warnemuende.de http://www.cruisebaltic.com

Hi (and welcome to the 7/29 sailing). I'm meeting a friend next week who did a similar cruise and spent a day in Warnemunde as well. He said the town was wonderful and relaxing especially after such a hectic cruise. He also mentioned visiting Rostock. When I get more info from him I'll pass it along to you as well.

Have you signed up for the Roll Call?

Rick T - We are signed up for the CC party, so we will see you there. We signed up so long ago that you probably don't remember. Our Roll Call is so dead!!! Can't believe how few and far between the posts are. Thought it would get more active as the cruise time approached. It will be nice to have a relaqxing day in Warnemunde.

gratefulguy - Do you mean that you are leaving the ship in Copenhagen and not coming back on Tuesday night to sail on the ship to Copenhagen? I didn't know you could do that. It sure would make more time in Copenhagen though, as the ship is only in port from 12:30-11:59 p.m. and that's not a lot of time for this interesting city. It is the only one on this cruise that we have been to before. DH & I spent about 3-4 days there in 1999.

Joy

I think you can do it!! I plan to tell Celebrity before we sail, and notify Guest Relations, housekeeping, dining room staff, etc. I don't want anybody to think I did a "George Smith" on them.

Since I've not been to Copenhagen, there wasn't enough time to do even the basics because many museums, etc. will close around 5pm, and the trip to some of the out-lying areas has to be started early in the morning to do a decent tour.

Although Warnemuende/Rostock, or even Luebeck, have things of interest (or just relaxing at the beach), I've been to Germany many times (Berlin last October), and wanted to experience Denmark more fully. Even now, I'll only have about 32 hours total there. It will also be fun to compare the ferry ride with our cruise ship.

See you at the Party.

Louis

I'd suggest you do Rostock (if you're not too weary by that point in the cruise...)

We opted to just stroll around Warnemunde. We walked down to the beach and stuck our toes in the water (cold!) and collected some sea glass on the sand. Had lunch in a little cafe with great beer. I believe there is an aquarium in town as well, although we didn't see it.

Don't miss the sailaway from Warnemunde -- there was quite a crowd and everyone was waving, singing, and horns were honking.

On the other hand if you are slightly brave, you can pick up a hertz rent a car at the pier and take the 2 hour drive to Berlin, park in a garage near the Zoo, and take the Hop On Hop Off bus and see Berlin. We shared a car with another couple and had a great time.

It is an easy drive even though it is long!

We got to see Berlin and get back in time for the German buffet on board and drink some local beer at the pier!

Warnemunde is charming, but I am not sure the charm would last for a full day. Why not try taking the S-bahn to Rostock and then a train to Lubeck? It is much closer than Berlin, the trains are frequent, and the charm will last all day. You can look around Warnemunde in the evening.

WE opted to rent a car in Warnemunde (picked up right next to the ship!) but drove around northern Germany on local roads (I did get a car with satellite navigation device!) which were uniformly well maintained and easy to drive. There are some pictures here. We enjoyed it so much, we intend to go back and spend a week or two just driving around Germany...

Dave-

We are doing the same thing as you did when we go to Warnemunde in a couple weeks, renting a car from Hertz and driving around the nearby countryside. A couple questions, if I could:

1) The Hertz office in Rostock said that the car would be waiting for us at a booth "just pass the taxis" at the Warnemunde pier--will it be pretty obvious where that is when we get there?

2) Based on my research so far, we are planning on going to Schwerin, Lubeck and Heiligendamm (where I think the G-8 summit is being held next year). Are there any places in that area that you think are "don't miss" or "don't bother"?

Thanks!

Look at the map here. The yellow section is the cruise port, the dotted line across the river is the ferry. In between is a building which has a banquet hall, souvenir shop - and the Hertz office. AS you come thru passport control, turn right and you can't miss it.

We didn't visit any buildings (well, we did visit the Dom in Gustrow) on our trip, but did wander around the outside of Schloss Schwerin, spent some time at the beach (and souvenir shops!) in Kuehlungsborn as well as the lighthouse and beach area of Warnemunde. But mostly we just drove around the countryside admiring the farms, fields, windmills, villages and so on. There's a great website for the area at Discover North Germany which points out all the sights in the whole region.

We did the same cruise in June and were stuck with the same problem as we didn't want to travel to Berlin. 3 hours each way on the train..no thanks.

We went to Rostock in the morning. It's a pleasant town with some pretty good shopping.

In the afternoon we took a Celebrity excursion to Bad Doberan and Kuhlungsborn. The BD-Kuhlungsborn leg was on a really cool narrow gage steam train called the Molli. Great if you enjoy that sort of thing. The little train runs slowly right down the main street of Bad Doberan, and then really winds it up on the way to Kuhlungsborn. Lots of steam train sounds and smells.

We finished up with coffee and cake in a seaside hotel and a stroll on the beach before heading back to the ship. Really a nice excursion.

We are sailing on the Constellation on 7/29/06. We just got word yesterday that our German friends, who had planned to pick us up there for the day will not be able to come. Because they were coming, I really have not researched this port, so need some help on what is available to do there. We do not want to go to Berlin. I think we could take a train to Rostock, but what is there to do there? It is such a long time in port, and one of the last ones, so we want to do something fun. Thanks in advance for your help.

Joy

During our June 17 Baltic Cruise on the Constellation, the ship docked in Rostock and provided a shuttle to the center of town. We also decided to wonder around Rostock on our own instead of taking a long train ride to Berlin and discovered a very interesting museum. It was originally built as a monastery in 1270 and includes an interesting collection of art, history, and unique antique toys. Here is a photo of this museum that we enjoyed so much in Rostock.

34768%3A644%7Ffp345%3Enu%3D3244%3E5%3B8%3E%3B38%3EWSNRCG%3D32338%3A925%3B%3B%3B%3Bnu0mrj

A booking question - for those of you who rented cars from Hertz in Warnemunde, at which Rostock Hertz office did you make your reservation? I've tried online, and it does not show any offices in Warnemunde, and 3 in Rostock. I called Hertz, and they show no office in Warnemunde, either. I'd hate to book and learn I booked at the wrong office, and now have to take a train to Rostock.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Cat

We had to book it for Rostock, but we were able to pick it up in Warnemunde. Book it online and then call Hertz to request pick up in Warnemunde. Worst case you may have to take a cab to Rostock. We thought we had to do that but were pleasantly surprised to see a Hetz desk at the pier.

You can't book Hertz on-line for Rostock, you need to call the 800 number. You'll want to book at the office in St. Petersburger Strasse

Be sure to tell the booking agent that you wish to pick up the car at the dock in Warnemunde. But even if you forget, the nice man at the Hertz office will handle your rental quickly and efficiently if you havev your booking number - even driving you the 5 minutes to the Hertz office if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

An alternative, we were with Celebrity and had a beautiful day in W In the morning we took the Rostock walking tour that included a stop at the Rostocler brewerey. In the afternoon, we just wandered around W and enjoyed a drink of Rostocker ( well after all we had "seen" it being bottled in the morning) at the lovely harbour side cafe. Then we went back on board as a German band had been brought on to play for us. To be honest we were castled and palaced out in Russia and earlier ports and enjoyed an easy day to charge up our batteries for the rest of the trip

I'm just wondering, is it easy to take the train from Warnemunde to Rostock? Did you have to switch/ transfer to another train? When you get off in Rostock, where is this street? Is there a city tour that you took while you were there? :) Where is the tourist info kiosk in Warnemunde from where the cruise ships dock? Thanks.

We were on the Star Princess less than two weeks ago, and really found it fun to find our way to Rostock and then continued on to use our Eurail Pass to go to a charming medieval town a hour away called Wismar. We walked around Wismar and saw the most immense and interesting ruin which is being restored, of the St. Nikolai Cathedral. We had a decent lunch in a seafood restaurant where noone spoke English, and had to guess at what we were ordering. We returned to the ship in time for dinner then went back out and walked all over Warnemunde.

The absolute two best highlights of our cruise were that awesome cathedral in Wismar(the free one), and the way the whole town of Warnemunde came out to give our ship a warm send off. They even played Andrea Bocelli's TIME TO SAY GOODBYE on the loudspeaker, and there was a lot of fun horn blowing of the cruise ship and the tour boats below back and forth, and a lot of shouting both ways. It was a really good time. It was unfortunate that this sendoff was not announced and that many people missed it altogether because they were not up on deck.

Archived