Pre & Post Hotels in San Juan

PatC

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea about the prices for pre and post hotel stays in San Juan? We're sailing in March on Galaxy and were considering booking through Celeb but wanted to check with "the experts" before doing so. We've always booked our own hotels but thought about going through the cruise line this time. We're trying to get our air booked but need to know our plans about post stay before we do.

Thanks to all our great CC friends who always have the best answers and suggestions.

Pat C

Hi Pat,

We think you should switch to the Feb 12th sailing:) -we'll be in Aruba for Valentine's Day!

We're in the same boat as you, almost. We're waiting till Jet Blue opens up for that time period so we determine the dates for the cheapest air rates, and will then book our hotel.

We have used Priceline other places in the past with great success, and that is our plan this time. As far as we are concerned, anywhere in the Old San Juan, Condado, or Isla Verde (airport) area will be fine. I have read that others have gotten phenomenal deals on the premium hotels. Depending how long we stay pre and post, we will likely rent a car for a day or two-otherwise we will get around on their bus system. I grew up there (back in the 50-60s, and don't anticipate any problems.

Happy Sails to you,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyllis

yes, try Priceline but even then you are traveling at probably the highest season there is: high season in the Caribbean starts around Christmas and extends to Easter with March being very high. Just be prepared and good luck. Give them a try, see what they come up with and you can go from there. You might do just as well considering the season to book with Celebrity. NMnita

Hi Bob

How are you guys doing? Any more trips planned, other than February?

John & I are doing March because we have so many family things prior to that. He's also planning on retiring in January - or may stretch it to just before our cruise, so our plans for that time are up in the air right now.

Best to you both.

Thanks for the advice on Priceline. I'll do that and see what they come up with.

Pat & John

Hi

Can anyone give me an idea about the prices for pre and post hotel stays in San Juan? We're sailing in March on Galaxy and were considering booking through Celeb but wanted to check with "the experts" before doing so. We've always booked our own hotels but thought about going through the cruise line this time. We're trying to get our air booked but need to know our plans about post stay before we do.

Thanks to all our great CC friends who always have the best answers and suggestions.

Pat C

I have heard good and bad about Priceline. We have stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan ( used to be the Wyndham) 3 times now - NOT a cheap hotel but - it is all about location location location. Walking distance of great restaurants - no need for a cab. Safe location. If we couldn't get that we were going to go for the El Convento. What we saved on meals dining in Old San Juan more than paid for the extra we spent on the hotel + cabs Got some great suggestions for restaurants as well and there is a Luggage safe near by for post cruise

I use Priceline, too for San Juan hotels, and instruct my clients to do so as well.

Remember, the cruiselines charge per person per night, so you can wind up paying OVER rack rate for a hotel.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We'll try Priceline and see what happens. I know my kids have used it so we'll give it a whirl and see what they come up with.

Pat

Hi,

I will check out expedia and hotels.com for an idea of hotel possibilities and prices. Then I go to each hotel website and check out what they have to offer. Then I choose the hotel based on a balance of what is important to me. Location, Price and Quality are what I am looking for. Priceline is not for me because I cannot choose an exact location just a neighbourhood.

After I decide on which hotel I then book it through whoever gives me the best price. Most hotel groups have great on line booking systems and have a lowest rate guarantee. Calling the reservation line might get you a great rate if you ask for their best rate.

Just remember when travelling, most people you meet have not paid the same price as you. Hotels, Airlines, Car Rentals and Cruise lines have so many ways of pricing and rates based on when you booked, who booked and any number of other criteria that nobody pays the same price.

Last time we were in San Juan we stayed at the Wyndham Old San Juan it has a great location (we walked our luggage to and from the Cruise Pier). Everything in Old San Juan is an easy walk from here. The hotel, in my opinion, was not too expensive and we certainly saved on Taxis.

We are booked at the same hotel for our November Cruise. It is now the Sheraton Old San Juan.

Happy Travels

Cindy

The two hotels we've stayed at in San Juan were 1/ Wyndham Condado and 2/ El Convento in Old San Juan.

The Wyndham was less expensive, and we had a balcony overlooking the sea. But El Convento was lovely and quaint, the restaurants were fun, and you walk out your door and can walk to the shops.

Jen

Archived