QM2 Independence Weekend Cruise Journal

cruiserking

We just enjoyed another fabulous trip aboard the glorious QM2. We loved meeting the Cruise Critics aboard, particularly the Royal Ambassador Ed and his wife Bev along with parents Lottie and Stan and Malinda1229 whom I enjoyed several nice chats with. Here is part one of my cruise journal.

Embarkation – Brooklyn, New York – July 3, 2006

The brand new Brooklyn Cruise Ship Terminal is a very well oiled machine. Departing from this new location on July 3 was an absolute pleasure. I would strongly recommend hiring a car to get to the terminal. We approached Brooklyn from the outskirts of Long Island. There are a number of very confusing turn-offs and exits which our driver had no problem finding. However, I was wincing at the thought of our friend Joe (traveling from Long Island) negotiating this circuitous route. Later in the day we learned that Joe was lost for an hour and a half attempting to find the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

We arrived promptly at 11:45 am and were whisked through the check-in process and shortly thereafter remanded to a large and comfortably air-conditioned waiting area. One particular observation, the walls of the brand new restrooms echo a very strange crossword puzzle-like design. Shortly after entering the cube covered room I felt less like a Cunard passenger and more like 9 Across; (a 9-letter word for cruise ship voyager).

During the check-in process, numbered cards are dealt to each group of passengers. A Cunard representative called out each card number and the groups were enabled to board in an orderly and expedient fashion. We were fortunate to have received boarding card #10 and were swiftly up the gangway at 12:30 in the afternoon. Our friends; Linda and Stuart, who arrived some 20 minutes after us received a boarding card numbered 52 and were a tad concerned. However, the sequence of the numbers went directly from #10 to #50, so Linda and Stu were aboard within minutes after we arrived at our cabin on deck 8. Our friend Joe arrived at the Cruise Terminal at 2 pm and had to wait at least an hour to go through the boarding process. I would definitely advise where possible to get to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal before noon and try and beat the rush.

Debarkation – July 8. 2006

Our return to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal was an equally pleasurable experience. On previous QM2 voyages we were not able to debark until at least 10:30 am this time however, we had collected our luggage and were under the canopy for car service pick-up by 9:15 am. Part of the reason for speedier process is that unlike the archaic facilities at the West Side Cruise Piers in Manhattan the Brooklyn Pier is completely up to date. At the Manhattan pier customs procedures had to be conducted aboard ship. While this process usually went rather quickly it was always an additional nuisance on an already hectic day. In Brooklyn after collecting your luggage your porter rapidly drops you at one of a series of custom official manned kiosks. Our paper work was instantly checked and we were out the door moments later. Furthermore, the task of luggage collection is made so much simpler by large boldly printed signs that broadcast the specific colors that correspond with those tags affixed to your suitcases. There are numerous porters available and they are all in the vicinity of the baggage pick-up area. In Manhattan the act of securing a luggage trolley always included a mad dash down the cavernous terminal not unlike some absurd reality television show stunt.

The entire operation of the Brooklyn piers is one of great efficiency and strong organization. There has been much discussion on these boards regarding taxi availability, however we encountered dozens of yellow cabs and fleets of limousines awaiting potential customers after we exited the new cruise terminal yesterday. I only hope that the refurbished piers on the west side of Manhattan will be as streamlined as the Brooklyn piers. While most of us mourn the loss of the classic sail away down the Hudson River I would happily trade this experience for the competent and spitfire boarding and debarking process in Brooklyn.

Day 1 – QM2 in New York

Cunard has billed this trip as the Independence Day Sampler Cruise. Personally, as a great fan of this ship, I preferred to think of this voyage as QM2 – the Greatest Hits. During this sea going sojourn we enjoyed some of our favorite pastimes a couple of bouts of Golden Lion Pub Trivia, a spell or two at the Pavillion Pool, a stroll on the Promenade Deck and some quality time surveying the endless landscape from the Observation Deck.

We arrived at our room on deck 8 shortly after 12:30 and were soon clinking glasses of champagne with our traveling pals, Linda and Stu. Our starboard cabin bestowed us with a lovely view of lower Manhattan, Governor’s Island, and the Lady Liberty holding her torch in the distance. On previous trips we boarded earlier and were dining at the Kings Court shortly after. However, this time the warm July weather beckoned us to sip cordials on our balcony, an always enjoyable affair, enhanced by the cheese and fruit selection that Stuart had smuggled aboard.

The Kings Court was an exercise in mayhem once we set foot there at around 1:15 pm or so. We settled for cold cuts, fruit and dessert, then found a nice table with a harbor view. Stuart was a bit more daring, he leaped into the frenzy and managed to secure a hamburger and fixings from the Carvery. In record time we were unpacked (about the only plus of a short cruise) then following the boat drill we were standing in the coveted observation area atop the ship and just in front of the gargantuan funnel. Three sharp blasts from the dual horns signaled our departure and simultaneously jolted several nearby folks, including moi, a seasoned QM2 traveler.

A balmy wind was blowing mightily that July afternoon, as dozens of passengers crowded to watch the sail away. Ever vigilant, particularly noticeable for this voyage, the helicopters from New York’s finest buzzed and swooped in great arcs and drops above and beside our ship. Within forty minutes or so we were at the crest of the mighty Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

I will never tire of the experience of watching the enormous antennae spire atop the QM2 appear as if it will not clear the underbelly of the Verrazano Bridge. Sure enough the structure clears the expansive span of steel to the hoop and applause of our fellow travelers. Shortly thereafter we are ensconced in the cozy confines of the Commodore Club. One of the very few hiccups on this trip, it takes seemingly as long as the ship took to traverse into the open sea for our waiter to secure some bananas for our BBC’s. What a pleasure to see nothing but a vast ocean ahead at 6 pm on a summer evening. It is Joe’s first ever trip aboard the QM2 and first ever cruise. I proudly take him on a grand tour of this elegant vessel which I have adopted as a second home.

Later on we enjoy some pre-dinner drinks at the Chart Room Lounge before strolling off to our late seating at the Britannia Restaurant. Cunard is touting it’s AA cabin class as a new experience in intimate dining. We are very fortunate to be seated on the second level far from the madding crowd below. While I don’t believe this is the area earmarked for the AA Club Dining, up above it is noticeably quieter and not unlike a private club. Our waiters Grzegorz and Adonis were superb and always delivered our meals in a timely fashion. The food in Britannia seems to get better with each voyage. The fish and beef on this trip were particularly tasty. The cheddar soup, chilled melon soup and vichyssoise were standouts. The showstopper for desserts was the fallen ‘chocoholic’ lava cake on the final night. This small pyramid of chocolate cake oozed with a rich fudge center and topped with a decadent chocolate sauce was among the highlights of my all-time dessert list. Stuart opted for the less caloric Berry Bouquet. But, as we all know in the fantasyland that is cruise travel, there are no such things as calories. So order yourself the chocolate cake and let those things THEY call calories be figments of your imagination.

Tomorrow: Boston, the great fireworks Show Mystery and further QM2 Greatest Hits.

Cruiserking

Thanks Cruiserking...great reading for us land-locked types. I look forward to your Boston tales....the friends we will be sailing on QM2 with in Dec were on the pier to see you...bet you didn't see them but they took a bunch of photos. And I'm eager to hear of your day in my old home area, Bar Harbor. Hope you ate some serious lobster and got a chance to see some of that charming area.

Thanks to the webcam overlooking the Brooklyn pier that you posted a while back, I "grabbed" some neat shots off the webcam of your sailing and got you almost under the bridge when the camera went crazy! If you'd like them I'd be happy to email them to you...haven't a clue how to post them on here.

Keep the story coming...Cheers, Penny

Cunard is touting it’s AA cabin class as a new experience in intimate dining. We are very fortunate to be seated on the second level far from the madding crowd below. While I don’t believe this is the area

What is the AA cabin class?? Thanks

Cunard is touting it’s AA cabin class as a new experience in intimate dining. We are very fortunate to be seated on the second level far from the madding crowd below. While I don’t believe this is the area

What is the AA cabin class?? Thanks

Hi

AA CLUB dining is the new grade (to come into operation 2 April 2007) for balcony cabins on deck 12 except 12001-12010. The difference will be that passengers in these cabins will have single seating dining in a separate section of the Britannia Resturant (or 2 separate sections, my feeling is that they will use the two almost separate rooms at the rear of the Britannia Resturant on the lower level).

Hope this helps.

Hi All,

This is a image of a gathering of Cruise Critics on 11 Deck Observation Deck while coming into Boston Harbor.

Left To Right: ESLO (Ed & Bev), Cruiseking (Elaine & Jonathan) and Ed's Parents (Lottie & Stanley).

Regards and Coming Down To Earth,

:) ESLO

(Ed)

Being a fairly recent member of Cruise Critic, we missed out on meeting all the fine people of this group. However, the cruise was wonderful as always.

We also had Gregorz and Adonis as our waiters on the upper level of Brittania. They were superb as was the area supervisor who I can't recall her name at this time. She always had a smile and a nice word for everyone.

The only downside of our dining experience was the wine steward. He was rude and condenscending. One night the ladies we were dining with wanted to order the wine for our meal. The steward was aghast! He didn't even want to speak to them, continuing to speak to me instead the whole cruise.

Otherwise, the cruise was relaxing and exciting all in one. We loved the Ports of Call.

I look forward to reading the rest of Cruiserking's journal of the trip.

Cheers,

Lee:)

Cruiserking,

Sorry we missed you all at the CC get-together, but we were over in the smoking section for a short period with Betsy's mom (and dad). We actually sort of met you in the pub during trivia - my husband and I were seated at at the table next to you and we swapped answers.

Thank you for posting your journal and for the tip about where to view the sail out of NY. That was my third time on QM2 and I don't think I ever made it up there.

Look forward to reading more of your journal.

Just returned from the July 4th cruise as well. Overall it was a great trip. The weather could have been better but at least we had calm seas.

A couple of negatives:

Our waiter in the main dining room was the worst. I have been on over 15 cruises on many different lines and never had such bad service. I was forced to eat at Todd English two of the nights (I know it could have been worse).

My cabin (6130) was under a fountain on Deck 7. I heard rushing water for the entire cruise. I couldn't imagine being on a world cruise in this cabin. DONT BOOK IT!

Some of the passengers were rude. I guess they figure they are rich and on Cundard so they have to act the part but it became ridiculous. Every time I was exiting an elevator people just pushed their way in before I could get out. My advice to these rude passengers... LIGHTEN UP!

Postives:

Food was great!

Crew was great besides my waiter!

Ships is beautiful!

Email me at JDGGG@aol.com with any questions!

Back from the Independence Day Sampler and Loved it!! Wasn't keen on the itinerary beforehand, but really enjoyed it once I got going. It was our second time on the QM2, so it felt like coming home. We did not have to spend any time figuring out where things were on this large lady! That was especially nice.

It was great to meet Cruiserking and Eslo/Beverly and the rest at the Cruise Critics get together the first night. Then when we all ran into each other the rest of the week, we could talk and share.

Amen to Cruiserking on the Chocolate Volcano Dessert -- it might have been the best desert I ever had!! Anywhere!!

Cruiserking did such a good job analyzing the cruise terminal and ship, that I can only add -- I can't wait until January 6, 2007 when my husband and I take the Ft.Lauderdale-St.Thomas-Ft.Lauderdale trip!!!!! I even considered just putting my things right back in my suitcase after their trip to the dry cleaners, but no, I guess I can wait six months.

I have made peace with the slight British aloufness of the staff. I have made peace with the terrible ordeal that is the King's Court during breakfast and lunch. And now I look forward to a third trip on this incredible ship.

Ed,

Thanks for posting that great picture of all of us in Boston Harbor. I remember that moment vividly, sure wish we were back there right now. It was great meeting you and your family, perhaps we'll meet again.

Cruiserking,

Sorry we missed you all at the CC get-together, but we were over in the smoking section for a short period with Betsy's mom (and dad). We actually sort of met you in the pub during trivia - my husband and I were seated at at the table next to you and we swapped answers.

I absolutely remember switching trivia sheets with you guys, I believe that was the day we won. I actually bumped into your husband later on that day on deck 8, we were practically neighbors, our cabin was 8049. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet properly at the CC meeting your husband seemed like a very friendly chap.

Lee,

That's funny that we were seated nearby in Britannia. Yolanta was the name of the area supervisor, she was very professional and genial lady.

The next installment of the journal should be up later today.

Cruiserking

:mad: 'I have made peace with the slight British aloufness of the staff'.

Could someone explain this judgement please? Are you acusing the staff of perpetrating 'British Aloufness' or the British passengers treating the staff with 'Aloufness'. Either way I feel the poster of the above statement is narrow minded and racist. Anybody can appear 'aloof' to another; it is ordinarily due to personal and individual differences and not race specific. I do realise that this site is predominantly American, but assumed wrongly that all nationalities would be valued. I am aware we all have personal experiences of different cultures and races; however diversity should be valued not ridiculed.

:mad: Shellie

Shortly after breakfast on the morning of July 4 we found ourselves sipping cappuccino along with our traveling companions Joe, Linda & Stuart at Sir Samuels. More often than not port arrivals occur in the wee hours of the morning. One of the highlights of this trip was our graceful sail into Boston Harbor at around 10:30 am last Monday. A hazy sunshine bathed the lounge as we watched the pilot chug along just off to our port. A great cheer went up as we skirted past a smallish island with a moderate sized fort which I believe is called Fort Warren.

I have become quite enchanted with Sir Samuels Lounge over the course of our last two QM2 voyages. It is lovely spot to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning, (the best coffee on the ship) it is usually quite empty. During the evenings the Chart Room Lounge usually fills up quickly with passengers angling for a spot to soak up the jazzy riffs from the Mark Hodgson Trio. Sir Samuels offers a nice alternative to listen to the music while being in an adjacent environment that is not too crowded.

Finishing our coffee we dashed off to one my favorite perches on the ship, the Observation Deck. Upon opening the door on deck 11 we were greeted with a triumphant flourish of patriotic music that boomed from a pair of speakers. This was a very nice touch from Cunard. You couldn’t help but feel the goose bumps materialize as the Stars and Stripes echoed across Boston Harbor. In the distance we could clearly see the John Hancock Building and the Prudential Tower seemingly saluting our arrival. A moment later we spy our old friend Ed (Eslo) and his family, the shot above is snapped. We decide to stay aboard QM2 this day, the thought of Boston teeming with tourists is a wonderful excuse to savor the pleasures of this grand ship.

At noon the fabled warship The USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) is scheduled to fire her cannons upon the Fort we sailed past earlier this morning. Stu and I bolt up to the top decks of the ship and attempt to secure a good viewing spot. Yet, Old Ironsides continues to glide further up the river and so we clamber along deck 12. The ancient vessel is flanked and followed by a flotilla of yachts and pleasure boats. We manage to squeeze into the crowded area of the private Queens Grill Deck, which is open to all for these chosen moments on July 4, 2006. Finally, the famous ship glides into place, we wait for a dazzling broadside attack to deafen us. A few puffs of smoke later then a delayed pop and it appears the show is over. We are just as happy because the sweltering heat of this July afternoon is melting us. Perhaps the gun battle was not quite that thrilling, but, my girlfriend Elene, who was below, tells us the view of three tiers of QM2 faithful jamming the decks was clearly worth the price of admission.

The one pervading thought that haunts me throughout the day is “will we see fireworks tonight?”

The voyage is suitably named The Independence Cruise, yet there is nary a reference to any fireworks show listed in the Cunard Daily Programme. Originally our trip was scheduled to depart Boston at 11 pm which would allow us to view the fireworks show that was to begin at 10:30 pm. However, due I’m sure to the Pod Incident back in January, our departure is moved up to10 pm instead. A call to the Purser’s Office late the previous evening informs me “We are scheduled to leave Boston at 10 pm, so any fireworks we see will be gravy.” After a chat with an officer I’m expected to believe that a fireworks show was never a part of the plan for our July 4 evening.

No sense in getting to upset over all of this, we are all very privileged to sail on this great ship. But, there was a degree of suspense to the evening. Might our departure be somehow delayed and afford us the chance to witness a few shimmering bursts of color illuminate the Boston sky. It was not unlike a tie ball game in the bottom of the ninth. Could the home team muster a base hit and one gargantuan blast to win it all?

Our magic fourth of July homerun came in the form of a medium sized MSC Container Ship docked just off to our starboard side. Shortly after 10 pm a pair of Boston Harbor Tugs began nudging the cargo ship out the way so that QM2 was able to make an unencumbered exit from the pier. It was 10:30 pm on the bean in this town and we quit our sumptuous supper to hightail it to the upper observation area atop the ship. Sure enough no sooner had we arrived than several great bouquets of fireworks twisted across the night sky and showered a kaleidoscope of color over the Charles River. A rather subdued crowd watched the event unfold as QM2 made a very slow and gradual 180 degree turn in order to sail from the harbor. Although we never saw him for the duration of the cruise I like to think Captain Christopher Rynd had something to do with our delayed departure from Boston that night, that slow, lazy sail away, it was a gift really.

This July evening proves the be the finest fourth of July any of us has ever experienced. We make our way off to deck 8 aft and soak up the calypso rhythms of resident band Illusion. Stu and I order up a pair of Stars and Stripes, the patriotic cordials QM2 has on tap for this night. A very colorful and delicious drink consisting of Pina Colada mix, Bacardi, Curacao and a splash of Grenadine. These beverages are really something to behold, like a frozen fireworks display sitting in a Hurricane Glass. Along with pianist Craig Dahn who turned in a dazzling display of piano tinkling earlier in the evening at the Royal Court Theater, another provocative performance erupts from the clear blue that is equally engaging. The salsa beat proves to be too much to resist for a couple of QM2 dancers who explode into a stunning and sexy duet. This spectacle is particularly challenging due to the slick decks which cause the adept hoofers to take a slide or two and still shine like Fred & Ginger.

We close out the night with a rollicking time on the dance floor at G32. Our ship sails on for Bar Harbor. The dull sound of the fog horn heralds our passage through continuous banks of fog throughout the night until daybreak.

Tomorrow Bar Harbor.

Cruiserking

Shellie1964

One of the problems with writing instead of speaking is that natural inflections that we all use in speech cannot be put down. Someone may write something in a spirt or with a meaning that does travel well to "paper". Therefore, if, sometimes, someone writes something that's seems or reads a little "direct" or not written as one would wish, then it seems, to me at any rate, best to give the writer the benefit of any doubt. With that in mind, may I ask, and in the very nicest possible way:) is it possible that you slightly over-reacted?

Leaving aside the fact that many of the staff aren't British (so it may not be "British" aloofness), I have to say that we British can be (in comparison with others around the world) reserved and this can seem, especially to others with a more outward, instantly friendly national character, "aloof".

Now I like this reserve, I find a waiter/server introducing themselves at my table by their first name and asking how I'm doing tonight?, very false and trite. I don't care to know. I just want good, quiet, unobtrusive service. Not any personal details (unless I ask).

Now if someone has had this type of friendly service all their life (and I don't know this is the case here) then they may find the type of service that I like alien to them and "aloof".

We all have our own national characteristics as perceived by others. The organisational skills of the Germans. The friendliness of Australians. The dedication to work of the Japanese. The romance of the French. The laziness of the ....(insert a country of your choice here). That is part of their national identity to others. We are regarded as reserved. I can live with that.

Please, please don't be offended by my words, they are meant in the nicest possible way.

Lee,

That's funny that we were seated nearby in Britannia. Yolanta was the name of the area supervisor, she was very professional and genial lady.

Yes, we were table 327 by one of the windows. Thank you for the name of the supervisor.

Did you have any problems with the wine steward?

Thank you for your journal. I am reliving the trip again through your text.

Kind regards,

Lee

Hi Pepper & Pat

Thank you for your contributions. I understand that text does not always convey the context or the essence of the meaning of what is being written; however I stand by what I have put and feel you have only sought to justify what was written. I also stated that we are all different, that was my point!!!

The hypothetical senario that you used I would interpret as the waiter being curtious and polite; I for one do not value being served in silence. This is just another example of how different we are.

I take no offence at being thought of reserved; meaning 'slow to reveal emotion'. Conversely, I do mind being thought of aloof, meaning 'distant and unsympathetic'.

I would like to reiterate I mean no offence by this post.

I apologize to Cruiser King, my intention was not to turn your post into a 'ranting ground'. I have really enjoyed reading your journal.

Can we now draw a line under it now please.

Shellie

Was the wine steward mentioned a beefy German boy in upper level Britannia portside rear?

Mine was. First night none wanted wine, but I wanted to keep my stemmed wine glass The steward just could not understand that, and was not going to let me! We almost had words. I like apple juice with some meals; I like it out of a stemmed glass, a personal quirk. I do not see any reason why I have to explain it to the help. I order juice and pour it into stemware. So the glasses were whisked off the table and I am there clutching mine, the steward aghast! One at table explained it was the German linear character and he was probably told to clear the table if wine was not ordered and Do Not Think!

I had my glass, my juice. Later nights, there was much wine for the others. But the steward never again looked at me nor asked me if I cared for wine.

I heard his conversation with others; he seemed to know his stuff, but he never seemed to grasp my simple want of an empty wine glass.

It is things like this that make such trips such fun.....that and reading these posts; it is like being back on! Thanks to all.

Ab Ovo,

He was a tall, slim Germanic type.

I did note in my survey left in our room that I was displeased with his behavior. He had a very chauvinistic aire about him that is just un-called for in this day and age.

Our table was upstairs on the port side, about in the middle of the room. We had a table for four by one of the windows. We also were in the early seating.

But I agree, these are the things that make traveling fun. How boring it would be if everything went smoothly!

All trips will have something that doesn't go the way we would like, but it is so much easier to roll with the punches and enjoy the experience.

Day 3 Bar Harbor, Maine – July 5, 2006

I don’t know about you, but, when I’m on a ship I find it very difficult to sleep. It has nothing to do with the mattresses, they are wonderfully comfortable, or the rough seas. I am just so darn excited I cannot lie down when there is a giant ship to roam around on and explore.

In the early morning of July 5 as we approached Bar Harbor the visibility was non-existent as we cruised through thick banks of fog. The steady low moan of the ships’ fog horn continued its intermittent hum not unlike some maritime metronome. We anchored in Frenchman Bay around 7:30 am and the sun was just beginning to burn through the massive cloud-like layer of fog that enshrouded us.

We opted for room service on this morning in order to be on time for our scheduled 9:00 am excursion. For the second time in as many cruises our meal showed up promptly at the designated hour. I would highly recommend having room service on a day you are eager to get an early start. While the in-cabin menu for lunch and dinner is rather sparse, club sandwiches and hamburgers, the breakfast selection is quite vast including all the staples you would find in either the Britannia or Kings Court.

As our tender pulled away from the floating behemoth I was anxious to witness the staggering view of Queen Mary 2 floating majestically behind us, however this was not the case. The fog continued to cling to the ship in thick blankets. From the distance only the uppermost super structure could be seen jutting from the thick folds of white, like a castle spire enveloped in mist.

We arrived at Harbor Place and shortly boarded our comfortable tour bus which would take us on a six hour tour of the island, The Grand Tour of Bar Harbor excursion. Generally, we prefer shorter trips in the neighborhood of four hours. Part of the attraction of this tour was a luncheon stop at the charming Asticou Inn in Northeast Harbor. I had stayed here on several occasions with my family and was eager to return.

The problem with these extensive tours is they don’t truly deliver on the promise of the extensive things you will see. Many of the sights were relegated to a fast glance out the left window. I was rather looking forward to seeing Somes Sound the only fjord on the eastern seaboard of the United States. It was nothing more than a blur, there it is…there it goes.

We stopped at Thunder Hole and strolled down the wooden steps to hear the ocean swells converge against the granite cliffs. Despite the guide’s warning to not walk upon the wave washed rocks, many did, and could be seen tumbling and sliding on their rumps. It was a scenic trip, the Asticou Inn lunch was very tasty, high marks for the blueberry pie. Don’t miss the Zen Garden here, it is very lush and beautiful.

Unfortunately, our guide was easily the most boring man in western civilization. The unanimous thought that reverberated through everyone’s mind when our guide began explaining the difference between towns and villages was undoubtedly “You’ve got to be kidding me.” If there is a convention of Insomniacs visiting Maine anytime soon, I believe I have found their guest speaker.

Our requisite stop at the Jordan Pond House to purchase magnets and t-shirts summoned the adventurer in me, the escape was on. The sleepy residue tumbled away as we made a beeline for the information booth to inquire about hiring a cab. To our great fortune the local shuttle bus had just arrived and would be making a stop in Bar Harbor. I tipped our guide and we joyously boarded the shuttle. I had read about this shuttle, it is a wonderful, free service sponsored by L.L. Bean. It’s a pity that more tourist havens do not have a shuttle like this to help ease traffic and pollution. At each stop along the route a friendly recorded voice comes on and informs you of the location.

A great energy engulfed our party of four as we arrived in Bar Harbor. We enjoyed a nice stroll through town. In my efforts to be supportive of the local merchants I forced myself to have a hot fudge sundae. We met a lovely pet skunk “Lily” who was quietly snoozing in a little round bed on the counter of a local artisan’s shop on Main Street. In the late afternoon after our return to QM2 the sun finally arrived and bathed Bar Harbor with warmth. It was the last sunshine we would see till we cruised past Newfoundland on our lone sea day two days later.

Cruiserking

Day 3 Bar Harbor, Maine – July 5, 2006

In the late afternoon after our return to QM2 the sun finally arrived and bathed Bar Harbor with warmth. It was the last sunshine we would see till we cruised past Newfoundland on our lone sea day two days later.

Cruiserking

Okay, now.

Tell the truth, Jonathan.

Your day job is as an English Instructor.

BTW, What IS the difference between a village and a town. .. I've always wondered! (She said mischeivously!)

There will be a test. In fact, i may ask that it be added to Pub triva!

Karie,

Who found out recently one of the "towns" she grew up in wasn't even a town! It was a "village", part of a larger town! But it had its own zip code! Go figure!

Okay, now.

Tell the truth, Jonathan.

Your day job is as an English Instructor.

BTW, What IS the difference between a village and a town. .. I've always wondered! (She said mischeivously!)

There will be a test. In fact, i may ask that it be added to Pub triva!

Karie,

Who found out recently one of the "towns" she grew up in wasn't even a town! It was a "village", part of a larger town! But it had its own zip code! Go figure!

Town-small residential area, a compactly settled area larger than a village but smaller than a city. ex. Mayberry

Village-a small country town, a settlement larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town

Hamlet-smaller than a town

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Town-small residential area, a compactly settled area larger than a village but smaller than a city. ex. Mayberry

Village-a small country town, a settlement larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town

Hamlet-smaller than a town

If this was added to Pub Trivia, there would never be a correct answer. It varies from US state to state based on rules dating to pre-colonial times.

For instance...I grew up in the VILLAGE of Mineola, NY (Pop: 19,000), in the TOWN of North Hempstead, made up of 31 VILLAGES and many 'hamlets'. They split from Hempstead in 1784 because Hempstead had too many Tories. Hempstead is the biggest TOWN in the US...bigger, in population, than the cities of Boston, Baltimore and Seattle...and the STATE of Vermont.

But...now I live in the TOWN of Peacham, VT, population 635 (!)...settled in 1776. The only reference to VILLAGE hereabouts is to the Colonial houses on the 'crossroads' or 'town center', at our only paved road.

Where did everyone go? Am I a boring guide.....?? ;)

Fear not vtbobby...there is no right answer. As a recently departed former resident of the Bar Harbor area I can tell you that we used the words interchangeably up there. I lived in a "town"..we had about 1000 people...we had selectmen to govern us (HUH?), no school, no town sewerage system and only about 5 % of the people had "town" water but we did have a "town" dump, recently changed to a transfer station....that's where you "transferred" your garbage from your car to the former town dump. But we fronted on a gorgeous Bay. As a former Realtor, we tended to use the word "village" in advertising...the people "from away" as we called them seemed to think a village had a more charming image. Even had some of the locals believing this!! ;)

Cheers, Penny...who still loves that little town/village with no normal "town" services...but it sure had a pretty location out in the countryside by the Bay

If this was added to Pub Trivia, there would never be a correct answer. It varies from US state to state based on rules dating to pre-colonial times.

For instance...I grew up in the VILLAGE of Mineola, NY (Pop: 19,000), in the TOWN of North Hempstead, made up of 31 VILLAGES and many 'hamlets'. They split from Hempstead in 1784 because Hempstead had too many Tories. Hempstead is the biggest TOWN in the US...bigger, in population, than the cities of Boston, Baltimore and Seattle...and the STATE of Vermont.

But...now I live in the TOWN of Peacham, VT, population 635 (!)...settled in 1776. The only reference to VILLAGE hereabouts is to the Colonial houses on the 'crossroads' or 'town center', at our only paved road.

Where did everyone go? Am I a boring guide.....?? ;)

Bored? No. Confused? YES!

So no matter what I answered, I'd be right... or wrong!

Karie,

Who LOVES Pub trivia

Archived