Millennium vs RCCL Voyager Class

collegekid

Voyager class is 47,000 (91000GRT vs 138,000 GRT) tons larger and has 3114 passengers vs 2032 on Millenium.

The food and service on Voyager were mediocre, the ship feels crowded and there are lines on sea days for everything. It is quite casual and the onboard atmosphere is energetic and active.

Celebrity is about understated elegance with a traditional atmosphere, low key with passengers who generally dress for dinner according to code. The Aqua Spa cafe is a delight as is the special Thassolotherapy pool.

You will find many more kids on RCI and they are not good about keeping them out of the few adult designated areas. You will not find out of control kids on X as a general rule.

I think the entertainments options on RCI are more extensive as are the fitness offerings.

These are totally different ships and different vacations.

I agree with Caviargal that these are very different experiences; however I would offer the following more temperate views, having spent 3 weeks on Voyager in March:

- Voyager food and service is good, but of course this can vary cruise to cruise and depends on your staff. Food in the dining room is probably better on X than RCI.

- There most definitely are not "lines for everything" on sea days. The WIndjammer and Johnny Rockets at peak lunch times will have lines. The mini golf course may have more people, and if you want a deck chair at the pool or in the Solarium, you better get out there early. But chairs are plentiful on other parts of the ship.

- There are recent reports that RCI is stepping up kid control enforcement as of late, but that enforcement does vary (and can be non-existant).

I agree with Caviargal that these are very different experiences; however I would offer the following more temperate views, having spent 3 weeks on Voyager in March:

- Voyager food and service is good, but of course this can vary cruise to cruise and depends on your staff. Food in the dining room is probably better on X than RCI.

- There most definitely are not "lines for everything" on sea days. The WIndjammer and Johnny Rockets at peak lunch times will have lines. The mini golf course may have more people, and if you want a deck chair at the pool or in the Solarium, you better get out there early. But chairs are plentiful on other parts of the ship.

Patrick, your experience is far more recent than mine.

I was on Voyager for the Millenium sailing. That ship and Vision had the worst food and service of any of my RCI experiences. I am happy to hear that things have improved.

Perhaps it was due to the holiday sailing but the ship felt very congested to me and sea days were a hassle. You know I am not a big ship fan :) but this one was particularly bad with kids running rampant everywhere.

Season matters as well as the ship itself and I have since avoided holiday sailings like the plague.

Our first Celebrity cruise will be next summer, but we have sailed on the Voyager and two of her sister ships. Our kids were 18 and 21 when we sailed on the Voyager, and they had the greatest time! We sailed in 2000, and on our sailing, the food and service were wonderful. The only glitch on the entire cruise was having to bypass the port of Labadee because of political unrest. We just had an extra sea day, and that suited all of us just fine.

From everything I've read about Celebrity, the twenty-somethings in your group might find the Voyager to have more activities of interest to them - especially on the sports deck. However, having not experienced Celebrity yet, that's only a guess. Whichever ship you choose, remember that attitude is everything - your cruise is what YOU make it! (Maybe that's why we ALWAYS have fun on ours!)

They're two totally different products.... my suggestion is to just look at both brochures and decide which one is most appealing to you. You'll see the difference right away. The brochures tell you a lot about the type of people they attract.

I've sailed both classes of ships (Summit, Millennium, Explorer, Mariner) several times. For me it's a simple choice - we much prefer the smaller ship with fewer people. The Voyager class ships will likely have more children and a younger crowd because of the varied activities on board (rock climbing, ice skating, etc). While we had a great time on our Voyager class cruises, we enjoy the M-class ships even more.

Do a comparison of the things you like about both ships and which itinerary you like better and go from there. Have a great time no matter what you decide.

We have done Voyager class ships twice with children in late teens and had wonderful times. The food was great once and ok the second time. Service was excellent. The kids never lacked something to do.

We have not done the M class X ships, so can not make a comparison. We have done Zenith and found the food a step up and the service great. I do not think there would be enough variety of activity for young people--but this is just my opinion. My husband and I had a wonderful time and are repeating a Zenith cruise soon.

I liked the product X offers, however myself would be leary to take a M class cruise with an itinerary I was really wanting to see after all that hullabaloo over the pod issues.

We would really like a relaxing cruise experience with great food and service. And, we'd love something not too crowded, which might be difficult to find. We've only cruised Disney, and there were just way too many little kids on board!

We would really like a relaxing cruise experience with great food and service. And, we'd love something not too crowded, which might be difficult to find. We've only cruised Disney, and there were just way too many little kids on board!

I have never cruised a Voyager class when there were not "way too many kids aboard."

If relaxation, food and service are what you are seeking,you are better off with X.

JME.

I would not hesitate to book a cruise on an M class if I were going to the Carribean as I have been there many times.

However, if I were going anywhere port intensive that I really valued and would be upset if a port were cancelled, I think I would book through RCCI. There have been too many posts/threads regarding 2 of the M class vessels breaking down and missing ports due to pod problems in the last 2 months. I've had wonderful cruises on both lines, so "known" mechanical issues would matter to me.

I realize pod issues are not frequent problem, but I also plan a cruise with great anticipation, not to mention time and money. It's a pure gamble whether or not this problem can or will occur, yet until X resolves it, it will be a major factor in my personal decision when it comes to cruising.

Again, if it didn't matter if I had more sea days and missed some ports or had less time than normally allowed at ports, it would not matter to me and I would eagerly go X. But I like to go into a situation with my eyes open as much as possible--hope for best but prepare for anything.

I could not begin to give you accurate info on all M class ships. I have read quite a bit the last couple months from this site and know that several did quote what sounded like accurate info on all 4 class ships regarding pod issues. Try doing a search on this board and I'm sure you will get the info you need accurately. Hope this helps. :)

Archived