And why do we stop in St Marteen?

xhoosa

I found St Marteen to have been a waste of Port stop. Very poor country with a beautiful ocean view. Full of flea markets trying to sell you souvenirs. That sums it up.:cool:

What would be an island you prefer?

What island did you go to? Very poor country? Did you see any of the very high end villas especially this one that rents for $63,000 per WEEK?

A basic fundamental understanding of an island begins with the correct spelling of the name .... St. Maarten. Then check out some of these images of a "very poor country".

I found St Marteen to have been a waste of Port stop. Very poor country with a beautiful ocean view. Full of flea markets trying to sell you souvenirs. That sums it up.:cool:

You must be kidding, correct? This is one of our favorite islands.

1. Best selection of jewelry, hands down, than on any of the other islands

2. Better able to negotiate pricing than on any of the other islands

3. Nice, newly paved, clean Front Street... safe also

4. Love the Dutch/French flavor of the island

5. Having a bite to eat at a cafe' on the French side of the island

6. Shopping in lovely boutiques on the French side

7. Tons of restaurants with international flavor on the French side

8. Beautiful beaches

9. Nice water taxi from the cruise dock to downtown. Pay the round trip price, and you can go back & forth all day

Check out the following link. Hopefully it will give you a better insight into what this lovely island really has to offer:

http://stmartin.com/

We will be back again in December, and can't wait!!

Amazing. St. Martin is one of our favorite places in the world. After we visitited twice on cruises we decided to go back. In April we were there for a week and this coming April we'll go for two weeks. The beaches, restaurants and people are wonderful. I can't think of a better place to go relax!

First of all the spelling depends on which side of the island you are on. :D But forgive me for messing it up. :rolleyes: By the way, I do not go on vacation to go shopping. :cool: I can do that here. I go to see the places and how the real people live. Unfortunately what I saw in St Martin is that it is a very poor country, especially on the Dutch side. The rich homes do not account for a higher percentage of the population, not from what I saw. I do not plan to go back again. I wish someone would have told me how poor it was, maybe I would have been less shocked to see how bad the people live. I expected more and got less. Not my kind of island.

Drink a mojito and relax. We all have the right to express our opinions. :p

First of all the spelling depends on which side of the island you are on. :D But forgive me for messing it up. :rolleyes: By the way, I do not go on vacation to go shopping. :cool: I can do that here. I go to see the places and how the real people live. Unfortunately what I saw in St Martin is that it is a very poor country, especially on the Dutch side. The rich homes do not account for a higher percentage of the population, not from what I saw. I do not plan to go back again. I wish someone would have told me how poor it was, maybe I would have been less shocked to see how bad the people live. I expected more and got less. Not my kind of island.

Then I would suggest you never take a western intinerary to Jamaica or a Mexican Riv itinerary to either Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan.

It is a poor country... some of those people couldn't afford clothes... :D

Hey, a Wicked Weasel might not be much in terms of clothing, but they're not cheap. On a price ($$$) per sq yard of material, the cost is HUGE. :eek:

... I go to see the places and how the real people live. Unfortunately what I saw in St Martin is that it is a very poor country, especially on the Dutch side. The rich homes do not account for a higher percentage of the population, not from what I saw. I do not plan to go back again. I wish someone would have told me how poor it was, maybe I would have been less shocked to see how bad the people live. I expected more and got less. Not my kind of island.:p

In all seriousness, if your route was the general circle around the island you really DID NOT see a true cross section of locals. What you saw is a very limited view. I know you didn't see open sewage being discharged onto the street. There are very large segments of the island that are some of the most wealthy in the Caribbean. I have personally visited some homes of local islanders and it is very much a pleasure to observe and learn about their life styles.

Most importantly, you come across as someone who does not want to be anywhere near to people who do not have the resources that many of us enjoy. Let me tell you, it is a wonderful experience to try to walk in their footsteps even tho they don't have plasma TVs, lush carpeting, 3 car garages and drive a $60,000 automobile. Unlike the vast majority of Americans, these are people of character and soul. We all could learn so much from the examples they set.

If you want poor, try Mexico and the interior of just about EVERY SINGLE CARIBBEAN ISLAND (except maybe Grand Cayman).

huh - I assume the only other Caribbean Island you have been to is Grand Cayman - if you think Sint Maarten/St Martin is poor. If you are easily disturbed by any evidence of a less than affluent life style, be sure you don't go to:

Belize

Roatan (Honduras)

Dominican Republic

Jamaica

Trinidad

the rest of the Caribbean islands

Mexico

Guatemala

parts of many other major U.S. cities - Detroit and Oakland to name two

rural parts of the U.S.A. (We saw more evidence of poverty in rural Florida and Georgia than we ever saw in Sint Maarten.)

Sint Maarten is definitely not "very poor". Roatan and Guatemala are. Haiti is beyond poor.

From other postings, the OP seems to prefer St. Thomas. To each his/her own.

We've been to St. Thomas more times than we can count over the past 30 years. Nice island, more crime than St. Martin (don't be caught out after dark). We have friends who live there, so we know what we are talking about. Not nearly as many nice restaurants, beaches, etc., etc. Although it is US owned, there are still a lot of very poor people there.

We still love both islands and will continue to visit both as well as many of the others which are much poorer than either of the above.

Don't mind contributing to the economy.

From other postings, the OP seems to prefer St. Thomas. To each his/her own.

We've been to St. Thomas more times than we can count over the past 30 years. Nice island, more crime than St. Martin (don't be caught out after dark). We have friends who live there, so we know what we are talking about. Not nearly as many nice restaurants, beaches, etc., etc. Although it is US owned, there are still a lot of very poor people there.

We still love both islands and will continue to visit both as well as many of the others which are much poorer than either of the above.

Don't mind contributing to the economy.

Good point nan! I have observed that some people are only comfortable in other countries that have a very American lifestyle and appearance. As you said to each his own. Personally I enjoy experiencing other countries that are very different from where I live. In Sint Maarten/St Martin I like the Caribbean/Euro feel of the place and of course the great beaches and the food. I thought St Thomas was pretty but a little too "familiar" for my taste.

...I wish someone would have told me how poor it was, maybe I would have been less shocked to see how bad the people live. I expected more and got less. Not my kind of island. ...

Sounds like you would really like San Juan, PR or St. Thomas. It's like leaving home without leaving home. Oops, cross off PR there are tons of poor people there too.

I know you didn't see open sewage being discharged onto the street.

Kal, interesting that you mention the ‘open sewage’ point. During all our travels in the Caribbean, the only place where we experienced a problem with raw sewage being discharged into the open was in (I believe) 2002, in our very own U.S. Virgin Islands at Magen’s Bay. There were signs posted warning of a Coliform contamination, that apparently lasted for months.

In 2004, when we cruised with friends for their first Caribbean trip, we talked them out of visiting Megan’s Bay, and were glad that we did after we saw the view from Mountain Top, where the current contamination of the bay was quite evident. We ended up at Coki, which was quite nice.

The only place where we’ve experienced open sewage being discharged into the ‘street’, wasn’t actually a street – It was in Venice, and the raw sewage (easily identifiable) was floating in the canals. Now there’s talk of building some sort of dam to protect Venice from flooding with the higher water levels (global warming?) that would restrict the natural ‘flushing’ of the sewage out into the Adriatic. I can only imagine!

I sure am glad that we love St. Maarten.

gary

Hi Everyone !

I happen to like St. Martin very much. I suppose everyone has their own opinions, but I think it is beautiful there. So there is some poverty ? Big deal. There is poverty everywhere. I always look forward to visiting this island.

We had a wonderful day in St Maarten. Yes..a bit of poverty and to be expected in the Caribbean. The locals we met were ever so friendly and polite too.

I think sometimes we all have an experience that isn't to our liking. But I say just shrug it off and get on with it. Life is not as long as we think it is.:)

Great post! I have been to all the places I bolded in your post. Roatan was one of my most favorite spots - the snorkeling was great!

Rural Florida - well I used to live there.

At any rate, that is what I like about the ports you mentioned. They are third world. The reason I take vacations to ports like these are to GET AWAY from all the technology and crap of everyday fast living.

huh - I assume the only other Caribbean Island you have been to is Grand Cayman - if you think Sint Maarten/St Martin is poor. If you are easily disturbed by any evidence of a less than affluent life style, be sure you don't go to:

Belize

Roatan (Honduras)

Dominican Republic

Jamaica

Trinidad

the rest of the Caribbean islands

Mexico

Guatemala

parts of many other major U.S. cities - Detroit and Oakland to name two

rural parts of the U.S.A. (We saw more evidence of poverty in rural Florida and Georgia than we ever saw in Sint Maarten.)

Sint Maarten is definitely not "very poor". Roatan and Guatemala are. Haiti is beyond poor.

Great post! I have been to all the places I bolded in your post. Roatan was one of my most favorite spots - the snorkeling was great!

Rural Florida - well I used to live there.

At any rate, that is what I like about the ports you mentioned. They are third world. The reason I take vacations to ports like these are to GET AWAY from all the technology and crap of everyday fast living.

We absolutely loved Roatan too (as a matter of fact we are considering going back their for a week in 2007). I am not put off by the reality of life on most of the rest of this planet. As a matter of fact I like to contribute a little to the economies of less affluent countries.

I will have to admit the first time that we went to the island we were very disappointed but it was the year after hurricane Luis hit. Since then we have been back at least 4 times and this year we are going for a week. This has to be our favorite island. If you don't take a tour over the entire island then you will be missing alot. And the houses that you may think are less than we have here are nice on the inside. You would be amazed at how the sun and salt can damage them. AS far as poverty is concerned do you not see any of the United States? The poverty here is unbelievably.

Archived