Explorer and Cape Liberty

Looking at the 12/2/07 Sailing on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty and have a couple of questions. Are the seas rough the first 2/last 2 days? When will is start to warm up assuming it is cold in port. For those that have gone out of Liberty in December how has the weather been (I live near Buffalo, NY so I know it can be unpredictable)? What condition is the Explorer in? Has it been in drydock recently or scheduled before 12/07. Any little tidbits of advice would be more then welcome. Thanks.

Looking at the 12/2/07 Sailing on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty and have a couple of questions. Are the seas rough the first 2/last 2 days? When will is start to warm up assuming it is cold in port. For those that have gone out of Liberty in December how has the weather been (I live near Buffalo, NY so I know it can be unpredictable)? What condition is the Explorer in? Has it been in drydock recently or scheduled before 12/07. Any little tidbits of advice would be more then welcome. Thanks.

VERY nice ship. If you look today, Friday, before 5:00 you can see her in NJ:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/ports/liberty-cam.htm

I left for my VOS cruise in mid November from Bayonne and the temp was about 35 degrees. It was very cool for the first whole day at sea but we were still able to get out there and play mini golf and enjoy the ship with jeans and sweatshirts.

By the second full day at sea we were off the Florida coast in and the Bahamas and the warm weather kicked in.

I would actually rather pay a bit extra and be able to enjoy all 7 days outside in the warm weather.

** I did not even know that it was going to run all year long from Bayonne. Thats at least good for the northeast cruisers.**

I don't think any ship has ever gone out of Cape Liberty in Dec. This will be the first time on the Explorer. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think so. I ride the Staten Island Ferry every day to work and don't remember ever seeing a ship over there in the winter time. That being said, we went out of NYC (same thing really) in April and had wind and cool weather first day out.

Last year it was the Voyager, and it left for warmer waters soon after we did the 9 day western itinerary in October.

The water can be rough or calm any day of the year depending on weather and wind. We had some rough going down and back last October and it did not get smooth until we were in the Bahamas.

The air temp for December could be warm or cool off the coast of Florida, it fluctuates in December so be ready for either. We cruises from Port Canaveral in January the year before and we had a cool day at sea to Key West, then it warmed after that.

There was a ship that came in to New York last year during a blizzard. They showed on the news everyone on deck having a snowball fight.I think it was the Norwegian Dawn. Because of the weather they actually wouldn't let them dock and so they were delayed several hours. The snow at the point was coming down 2-3 inches and hour. So you never know what the weather is going to be.

cruise from NJ in December...sign me up!!!!!

We just did EOS to Bermuda in May....gotta love DRIVING to a ship..I envy the people in FLA who can drive to TPA, JAX, FLL, MIA or Port Canav......

we had a ball....such a bad time that we rebooked for next may..

follow the link in my sig for pix if you wish...........the ship was in decent shape considering that is is like 6 years old.......

Cape liberty is fairly easy....nutty traffic, a little crazed at times, but infinitely easier than MIA or SJU.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com

gives you an accurate overview of the terminal, etc.

Archived