Infinity Vancouver Arrival Delayed 7/16/06

SkyGuy747

Hi Minniemom: Where do you live in the Central Calif. I am from Modesto as you can tell by my sign-in and it is now 112. Anyway as for clothing I have been to Alaska 3 times and as everyone suggested just do layer. You said you had a sweatshirt. That is just fine and a light raincoat. I usually take a medium coat, turtlenecks, a sweatshirt. I also put in the suitcase a pair of gloves for glacier day. I always, always, pack a umbrella, and if you have a sweatshirt that has a hood that is great. Hope this helps and have a great great cruise.

Marilyn

LMAO>>>minniemom......I'll be going to the airport in less tn 12 hrs...and not packed yet. ARRGGHH!!!! 62 isn't cold to me miniemom....that's a lovely spring day in Toronto. I'm bringing a rain jacket (that I wear on the motorcycle), and a fleece jacket...that's it.

Thanks for all the good wishes, I'm hoping we'll have fun.:) I hear it's smokin' hot in BC, is it that hot in Vancouver?

Yes it's hot. It's 6:30pm and it's 35C trans 98F, I just checked the carport.

It didn't start cooling off til about midnight last night. Sunday is suppose to be a bit cooler, but that should still be 30C plus. But maybe that's not hot for you.

Have a good trip.

Yep, sure does look good.

We are embarking on our 1st Alaskan cruise, and my 1st ever cruise -departing (fingers crossed) 3 September 2006. Coming from NZ we are hopeful that everything will be AOK. We have been perusing the plethora of commentary on current issues with Infinity (mechanical/sickness).

However, we are mindful that in our part of the world and indeed every where probably, that what has occurred so far can be generally listed as "s#$$t happens". Looking at that webcam, with the ship at half speed or "dead in the water", the enjoymant of being on board will still be way way better than trying to navigate the inside passage in a canoe without a paddle.

Can't wait until the 3rd of September.

My Goodness!! How beautiful!! I think I'm all ready to go. I got everything in one ginormous suitcase. Included all my formal wear and everything. Which begs the question.....what have I forgotten?? HMMMM Oh well, if I don't have it now.....I'll buy it...LOL:)

bonbon- I laughed so hard at your 62 degree spring day in Toronto...

That is coat weather for me....

I am packed, actually got ready by this early afternoon, that is a first for me EVER EVER... I am a last minute packer, and I have repacked several times even.. I will see you tomorrow sometime.. Hopefully I will see you.... What room are you in????

mii- You are my neighbor, Hi neighbor, I live in Oakdale.... Have my whole life.. Isn't that funny, I never even look at where people are from... We might have seen each other, or maybe we even know each other???

So you have been on several Alaskan cruises?.. Well, we are excited to be going, but I don't have gloves or a hat packed... It is just too hot to think that anywhere it is going to be cooler....

Everything is already out in the car, but I better go and find my gloves and put them in..

mii, thanks for the help.. I am so nervous and excited and I don't know what else, but I dont' think I will even sleep tonight, we are getting to the airport by 4:15 AM, that is early..... But with connecting flights, we get into Vancover at 8:30 so that is early too, But that is okay....

Gosh, I can't believe that I am already to go, and that it is here. Oh, I went and bought some Clorox wipes and more hand sanitizer.

Thank you all for your advice... I will post when we get home. I am not taking my laptop no room, Maybe I will use them on the cruise, just so long as there were no sick people on them, who hadn't washed their hands

LOL.....

Dandylyon

When you say layers, is it really cold?? 62 is cold, but is it like Winter cold in Central California?? It does get cold, no snow but cold. I guess when it is 111 degrees out right now, I can hardly stand to touch the sweatshirts. Do I need gloves and a hat for glacier day?? I have a sweatshirt and a light raincoat packed , is that enough but let me know soon, we leave at 4am for the airport tomorrow

Are you actually going out on a glacier? If so, then, yes, gloves, jacket, hat, etc. If you mean glacier viewing, like Hubbard Glacier, it does get cold the closer you are to the glacier, but not usually freezing. Also, you can retreat indoors if you get too cold. A soft hat or band that covers your ears might be nice.

For Alaska you can have everything from t-shirts and shorts type weather to pretty cold. I'd recommend thin turtlenecks, a sweater or a sweatshirt to put over that or a hoodie, and a light jacket. Definitely a light rain jacket. I had gloves that I kept in my jacket pocket, just in case.

Today it was 60s in Ketchikan, rainy and 60s in Juneau, 60s Skagway, etc. It looks like you will have a mix of sun and showers with weather in the 60s most of the time.

You are going to have a wonderful time!!! Enjoy!

Dandylyon- Thank you for the info..

No, we are not going out to a Glacier... We are doing an excursion, but it is gardens and a view of the glacier?? Oh, I am not sure at this point, and everything is already out in the car. Well, I will go get the gloves. just incase... But the turtlenecks, well...... I just have one sweatshirt, and a light rain coat, and an umbrella.,and a mickey mouse poncho...I wonder if I should get a heavier coat... I do get cold, but if I can watch and view from inside....

But I guess I can't get the best pics from inside.

Where is the best place to get the best pics.?.. I hear lots of people rush to the railings....

Dandylyon- Thank you for the info..

No, we are not going out to a Glacier... We are doing an excursion, but it is gardens and a view of the glacier?? Oh, I am not sure at this point, and everything is already out in the car. Well, I will go get the gloves. just incase... But the turtlenecks, well...... I just have one sweatshirt, and a light rain coat, and an umbrella.,and a mickey mouse poncho...I wonder if I should get a heavier coat... I do get cold, but if I can watch and view from inside....

But I guess I can't get the best pics from inside.

Where is the best place to get the best pics.?.. I hear lots of people rush to the railings....

The best thing about cruising to Alaska is that, for much of the time, you are within sight of land. The whole inside passage is just spectacular--you'll take tons of pictures. I haven't been on Infinity, so I don't know the best viewing spots. On Summit, the day we went to Hubbard Glacier, the captain opened up the heliport area for viewing--all the way at the fore of the ship. That was AWESOME--my hubby's favorite memory from the whole cruise. (Cold out there, though.)

Also, they will turn the ship very slowly 360 degrees, so you will have a nice view from any spot around the decks.

Don't worry too much about the clothes issue--if you really think you need something you forgot, every port (and the ship's store) will be selling t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, hats, gloves..... Many are very reasonably priced, too. Ketchikan is a great place for these items, but they are available EVERYWHERE.

You are going to have a fabulous time! And, won't it be nice to be out of this heat?! You should be in vacation mode now--just enjoy everything. Be sure to let us know the details!

OH, yes, thank you, I am so excited. I don't think I will sleep at all tonight.. I always do this before I go on a trip... I get so excited I can't sleep... Thanks again..... I will let you all know,

Thanks once again, for all your help.... I am so much more prepared after this board and thanks to all of you wonderful people..... Have a great Week.........

I want to thank everyone for all their great advice. I'm sailing Infinity today, just waiting for the airport limo to come and pick us up. My next post will be from the ship. Thanks again everyone!!! Bye for now!:eek:

(ps...I'm in cabin 6092 if you see this minniemom...come and see us)

Archived