Infinity Vancouver Arrival Delayed 7/16/06

SkyGuy747

I just got off the phone with Celebrity Customer Service (I have hot ear for holding so long - looks like lots of people calling). They say she's due to sail at 4:30pm PST.

Thank you for all the updates people. I'm very anxious to be on Infinity next weekend. :) I will be looking forward to reports from the ship this week. It's hard to filter what is really a problem and what are disgruntled people who complain about everything no matter what.

I just got off the phone with Celebrity Customer Service (I have hot ear for holding so long - looks like lots of people calling). They say she's due to sail at 4:30pm PST.

Well, it's 4:11 pst, and the flags are down from the bridge cam.

Looks like she might be heading out soon ....

With fingers crossed for all,

quahog8

Very happy for all of those onboard. I know how very much we look forward to our cruises on Celebrity. Most involve a year of planning and research with much much anticipation and excited. I would be so so disappointed to have a cruise cancelled.

I wish all of those onboard the very best and hope that their cruise is the best one ever!!

Enjoy the beautiful, serene, and awesome scenery of Alaska and the Inside Passage.

Wishing I was sailing away from beautiful Vancouver on the Infinity right now.... Enjoy!!

Nancy

Nu2sea,

Well said!! Infinity has gone under Lion's Gate Bridge on a beautiful Vancouver evening, she's passing by my home and looks fabulous.....wish I was on her and I hope everyone on board has a great holiday!!

Diana

It will be interesting to hear what the actual problem was. Was it the PODS or something else?

For those of you on Infinity next weekend, in the event of delays (or heaven forbid.... cancellation) make the most of your trip to Vancouver. It is a fantastic City and a great way to help forget about a cruise that is delayed. If you have time, take the trip to Whistler/Blackcomb ski resort or take a Ferry to Victoria...

Keep your fingers crossed that all is well...but in case it's not... enjoy Vancouver.

The answers to these questions are in the above postings. This cruise will skip Sitka (as did the previous cruise). $500 stateroom credit and a $200 discount on a future cruise as compensation. The problem was an electrical problem that has been fixed in Vancouver, the PODS are OK. For now ;)

The answers to these questions are in the above postings. This cruise will skip Sitka (as did the previous cruise). $500 stateroom credit and a $200 discount on a future cruise as compensation. The problem was an electrical problem that has been fixed in Vancouver, the PODS are OK. For now ;)

I'm sorry to ask a question that has already been answered. I have followed this VERY closely and I obviously missed the part about BOTH cruises skipping Sitka. Has me a little confused though, what about all the excursions booked for tomorrow in Ketchikan?? Is everything a day behind?? Does that mean they will be in Ketchikan on Wed, Hubbard on Thurs, Juneau on Fri, etc?? I've never been to Alaska so I don't know if it's possible to hurry up and get to Ketchikan by tomorrow or not. Seems awfully far though...

:confused: We are leaving on the August 20th sailing - hopefully things are worked out by then. I know a family who are sailing now and it is their first cruise. He wasn't totally sold on a cruising holiday but was looking forward to the beautiful scenery.

Will be following this thread for future updates as they become known....

Floris - you are on my sailing of 9/13. I see that you have sailed with X many times. This is my first , as well as my first to Alaska. Our cruise is far enough ahead to have no worries, right? I am deferring to your wisdom and knowledge and experience on this.

As far as those who are in the immediate "hot seat": - sailing all of my prior cruises from Florida, and most of those during Steptember and October - we have had schedule changes because of hurricanes. The cruise line always takes care of their people, and while they would never knowingly put any passenger or crew member in danger, I also know they only cancel cruises as a last resort. Inineraries may change, arrival or departure times may change - but if they can sail, they will. If they can't, just be thankful that they put our safety ahead of the bucks. I would rather have to reschedule my trip, than be out somewhere in the middle of the ocean, and have a problem.

We'll all just have to keep thinking positive thoughts, and maybe all will be well for thoses getting ready to cruise in the next week or two, and for those like me who will be sailing in a couple of months.

Yes! everything will be delayed, up to when they skip Sitka (was to be final port of call). Who knows what that does to shore excursions, especially those not through Celebrity.

Last week, on board, they announced that all Sitka shore excursions would be refunded. I didn't pay attention as to whether that included privately arranged excursions.

The other problem is berth space for Ketchikan and Juneau. Unless they have bumping rights, those may become tender ports. Ketchikan can take three ships but there were four present last Tuesday. Juneau was OK (don't know if they can hold more than the three we had there.)

Yes! everything will be delayed, up to when they skip Sitka (was to be final port of call). Who knows what that does to shore excursions, especially those not through Celebrity.

Last week, on board, they announced that all Sitka shore excursions would be refunded. I didn't pay attention as to whether that included privately arranged excursions.

The other problem is berth space for Ketchikan and Juneau. Unless they have bumping rights, those may become tender ports. Ketchikan can take three ships but there were four present last Tuesday. Juneau was OK (don't know if they can hold more than the three we had there.)

I just added another thing to my packing list. Email addresses for our excursions. I have phone numbers but those aren't going to do me much good on the ship, now are they?? I wish all the pax this week and next the best of luck! We will be there shortly!!

I have been following this thread with great interest as we will be going on our first cruise ever on the Infinity Sept 3, 2006. There are pluses and minuses to everything! We booked this cruise just about three weeks ago to celebrate our 10 year aniversary.:) I am 39 and am a commision sales rep. Cant miss too much time from work or I dont get paid! I started reading these boards after booking. Since starting reading them I have learned a lot about the good and bad of cruising. Our last major trip was to the canadian rockies and our airlines went on strike the day after we got there so it took us 2 extra days to get back home. Stuff happens. I am still excited about this trip! If it gets cancelled for some odd reason we will rent a car in Vancouver and drive to Alaska ourselves. We would then reschedule for our free cruise next year. Would I be ticked? You bet your but I would! Would I be ticked if our shower has mold in the corners like the one poster showed? Oh Yeah! Room change or credits would be appropriate.

I like to hear both the negative and the positive. Do I belive Celebrity reps would lie to the pax during a problem? Yes I do. My company has lied to me about problems with the products so therefore I unknowingly pass on the lie and become a stooge for them. I hate that! This is life in the work place and it happens all the time. However, I belive that Celebrity handled communication well with the pax from the posts. There is a thread from a pax who mentioned a steward by name in a negative way. Did this poster cuss at them? We don't know what happened and never will. All of my customers love me but this one never wants to see me again. Sometimes people just rub you the wrong way!

In conclusion, Sept 3 -- 15 is our vacation time in 2006, we will have a good time no matter what happens because that is what vacations are for!!! I just hope neither one of us gets sick! We will be washing our hands a lot!!!

I hope and pray that all of you have a wonderful vacation with no problems. Things could be worse you could be vacationing in Lebanon or Isreal right now!

Sorry for skipping around in this post. ;)

Chris

I read on another post (different thread) that Sitka is being skipped and Hubbard is being shortened. POD problems were mentioned. This was coming from someone who said their friends are on the ship now and emailed them yesterday. Also mentioned upset pax. I'd really love to hear directly from someone who is on the ship. For all we know POD's are fine and it was just a freak electrical problem....I hope! We're 26 days away from our cruise on her.

I have been following this thread with great interest as we will be going on our first cruise ever on the Infinity Sept 3, 2006.

Chris

Chris, we are also on the 10 night cruise on Infinity embarking in Vancouver on Sept 3, 2006.

We do have a Celebrity Connections roll call for the cruise and you might be interested in reading the posts of your future fellow passengers. Also, we have over 30 pax registered for a Cruise Critic Connections party on Infinity, and you might be interested in registering also.

Archived