Infinity Vancouver Arrival Delayed 7/16/06

SkyGuy747

I read on another post (different thread) that Sitka is being skipped and Hubbard is being shortened. POD problems were mentioned. This was coming from someone who said their friends are on the ship now and emailed them yesterday. Also mentioned upset pax. I'd really love to hear directly from someone who is on the ship. For all we know POD's are fine and it was just a freak electrical problem....I hope! We're 26 days away from our cruise on her.

Hi Bbro !

From all reports, this was not the typical Pod Problem that has been associated with the M-Class ships. Reportedly, this was an electrical problem.

The good news is, everything should be fine in plenty of time for your sailing. Hopefully, things will get back to normal very soon.

Thanks Andy! This is our 8th cruise, but first with Celebrity. We've been dreaming of taking an Alaskan cruise with X for 6 years now. We even managed an AFT cabin on CC level. So we're just out of our minds with excitement about going. I know I'm being ultra-sensitive and paranoid, so a postivite post is going a long way with me! :-)

Brighid

I don't mean to sound flip about this, but REALLY the only important port you don't want to miss is the one you are leaving from.

Honestly folks, do you REALLY cruise to see the ports or do you cruise to be on the ship and relax? I know some of the best parts of cruising are sea days. Most of the ports are too "touristy" anyway.

Enjoy your cruises....just don't miss your ship :)

I will be sailing next week on Infinity. Same as Minniemom and Bonbon663. I'm trying to keep optimistic about the trip. So far-so-good that the trip is a go from all information I have learned. Does any one know what the exact itinerary for THIS weeks cruise is? I know it changed due to the delayed departure. From what I can gather, it might be: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

07/16 - Delayed

07/17 - Departed/At-Sea

07/18 - At-Sea

07/19 - Ketchikan (Arrive: 7:00 pm Depart: 4:00 pm)

07/20 - Hubbard Glacier (Arr: 3:00 pm Dep: 5:00 pm Possibly shortened)

07/21 - Juneau (Arr: 8:00 am Dep: 8:45 pm)

07/22 - At-Sea

07/23 - Vancouver (Arr: 7:00 am Dep: 5:45 pm)

To determine if the ship might STILL be having trouble and sailing at a reduced speed, (think the ill-fated Summit sailing in May) I'm thinking of monitoring the web-cam to see if the ship is arriving in ports on-time/leaving on-time. If it's not, maybe there is still a problem. I know that it has been discussed that pod bearing problems are not occurring, but I am weary of that since I don't know who the source was that told CC people the issue is not pod-related. I don't think Celebrity has made a formal announcement of the problem yet. I seem to be getting nowhere with Celebrity Customer Service on this issue. Can any of you give me feedback and/or advise on ways to tell if the ship is having problems and not keeping a schedule? I'm thinking if there are still problems occurring, my trip next week will be canceled for a dry-dock.

MSNcruiser, I believe that Celebrity did issue a statement, that the problem was an electrical problem, a short circuit in the electric motor which drives the port shaft. Check cruise critic news and look for the article on Infinity being delayed.

MSNcruiser, I believe that Celebrity did issue a statement, that the problem was an electrical problem, a short circuit in the electric motor which drives the port shaft. Check cruise critic news and look for the article on Infinity being delayed.

cechase, I did read that. Maybe I'm being kind of anal-retentive on the issue, but the story didn't say the source of the Celebrity statement. Maybe CC has contacts higher-up in the organization?? I wouldn't go by what Customer Service is saying, though. Thanks for your response though. :)

I don't mean to sound flip about this, but REALLY the only important port you don't want to miss is the one you are leaving from.

Honestly folks, do you REALLY cruise to see the ports or do you cruise to be on the ship and relax? I know some of the best parts of cruising are sea days. Most of the ports are too "touristy" anyway.

Enjoy your cruises....just don't miss your ship :)

Cruisin4us has it all together! The ship is the highlight of any cruise... after all, if it was just the ports we would just go to that destination by air, rail, or car. I've been on cruises that had port changes, or changes in arrival times, or whatever, but it in no way dimished the cruise experience! I know it is frustrating when you don't know exactly where you are going, or what time you will get there. Believe me...as a goddess of list-making, I thrive in the details, so it makes me a little loony when details are missing. But I am still cruising! And I trust the cruise lines to put my safety before the bucks. I would rather have a port skipped, a delay in arriving or departing, or even (last option) a cruise cancellation. Any of those is better than being in the middle of the ocean, and then have a problem.

I am sailing on the Infinity soon, and I hope all will be well. But no matter what...crusing is still the ultimate vacation. When I think of the number of passengers who sail each year, and the number of ships that sail - then I think the cruise lines all have a pretty good track record.

Happy cruising ya'll!

Cruisin4us has it all together! The ship is the highlight of any cruise... after all, if it was just the ports we would just go to that destination by air, rail, or car. I've been on cruises that had port changes, or changes in arrival times, or whatever, but it in no way dimished the cruise experience! I know it is frustrating when you don't know exactly where you are going, or what time you will get there. Believe me...as a goddess of list-making, I thrive in the details, so it makes me a little loony when details are missing. But I am still cruising! And I trust the cruise lines to put my safety before the bucks. I would rather have a port skipped, a delay in arriving or departing, or even (last option) a cruise cancellation. Any of those is better than being in the middle of the ocean, and then have a problem.

I am sailing on the Infinity soon, and I hope all will be well. But no matter what...crusing is still the ultimate vacation. When I think of the number of passengers who sail each year, and the number of ships that sail - then I think the cruise lines all have a pretty good track record.

Happy cruising ya'll!

cruzin4us - we don't all agree with your philosophy. I have no interest in just being on the ship. I cruise to get to ports that aren't easily gotten to. Alaska (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka) are only reached by air and sea. You cannot drive to them, and the cost of air would be extremely prohibitive. New England/Canada (NY, Boston, Bar Harbor, Portland, Halifax, Quebec and Saint John) I doubt I could get to them all by car in 11 days. Caribbean (St. Thomas, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Puetro Rico) Last I looked, there were no highways there either. The cruise ship is just the mode of transportation/hotel to get me there.

DaisyGirl55 - As you can see from my signature, I have a lot more land vacations than I do cruises. I don't get the big thrill just being on a ship going nowhere. The cost of cruising far exceeds anything I have ever paid for a land vacation. And my land vacations are much longer as a consequence. I spent 3 weeks in Australia the first time, 4 weeks the second time. I spent 4 weeks in Italy and 4 weeks in Greece. I spent 3 weeks in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg. And not one of these vacations cost me what my upcoming New England/Canada cruise cost, for 11 days. So to me, cruiselines are way overrated. Until I found this website and started reading of some of the problems with Summit in May, HAL bumping because of Charters, RCI changing a Bermuda cruise to New England, I never knew this stuff went on. I thought you purchased your cruise for the itinerary/ship and that's where you went. Then someone pointed out the infamous "CRUISE CONTRACT". I have two cruises booked and paid for, so I will go on those, if they happen. But after that, I will stick to land vacations. I'm not happy with paying $3000 for a cruise that I want to take, and the cruiseline has no liability to provide that cruise.

I can't believe the number of people that actually give the cruiselines accolades for these events, stating they are happy the cruiseline has their safety in mind. Bull, the only thing the cruiselines have in mind are sailing with full ships to make the almighty dollar. They could care less whether you have a great cruise or not, and if you think otherwise, you need a reality check.:eek:

MSNCruiser

Can you believe it is less than a week. I don't know about you, but I would feel a whole lot better if I knew the ship was running perfectly this week. I am guessing if there is a problem they must still be working on it while it is going this week. I am still so very excited to go, but I DO want to go to these ports. NOT that I have lots of excursions booked, because I don't, just some sight seeing, but I have never been on X before, or Alaska, and couldn't wait for both. I just hope we do get to go to all of our stops, or if we can't go to those, just give me a few others along the way if there are any. But I love to get off in ports if only for a few hours.

Last year, went to Cabo San Lucas, got off, walked around, bought a souvenier, tendered back. Been there, done that, but I am so glad I went. NOw, I don't need to go back again, but I am glad I went once. I feel the same about Puerto Vallarta and Matazlan. I liked going there, did an excursion, but really, unless I won a free cruise to Mexico, I don't need to spend the money to go there again.

My next dream trip is Canada/New England, or Europe

Just hoping to make it to Alaska next week!!!!

MSNCruiser

Can you believe it is less than a week. I don't know about you, but I would feel a whole lot better if I knew the ship was running perfectly this week. I am guessing if there is a problem they must still be working on it while it is going this week. I am still so very excited to go, but I DO want to go to these ports. NOT that I have lots of excursions booked, because I don't, just some sight seeing, but I have never been on X before, or Alaska, and couldn't wait for both. I just hope we do get to go to all of our stops, or if we can't go to those, just give me a few others along the way if there are any. But I love to get off in ports if only for a few hours.

Last year, went to Cabo San Lucas, got off, walked around, bought a souvenier, tendered back. Been there, done that, but I am so glad I went. NOw, I don't need to go back again, but I am glad I went once. I feel the same about Puerto Vallarta and Matazlan. I liked going there, did an excursion, but really, unless I won a free cruise to Mexico, I don't need to spend the money to go there again.

My next dream trip is Canada/New England, or Europe

Just hoping to make it to Alaska next week!!!!

Minniemom, I'm with you, I would feel much better if the ship is running better this week. Ports are very important for me as well. I think this is especially true in Alaska where shore excurisons add a lot of depth to the Alaska experience. It would be a bummer to miss ports of call on this trip, but it certainly won't ruin my vacation. I feel the same way as you do regarding cruising in the Carribbean. I've been there and done that, but don't plan on doing it again any time soon. Maybe some day I'll do Western Carrribbean, since I've only done Eastern. I had a great time on my Eastern Carribbean cruise, but there's so many other places to see in the world. I think my next cruise will be in the Mediterranian or Hawaii.

Lets keep our fingers and toes crossed that our trip runs next week.:)

Take care,

Chris

agabbymama, you're absolutely right!! Exactly the way my girlfriend and I think about cruising.

We want to see alot of beautiful places in the world, a cruiseship is just the transportation between the ports. Nothing more, nothing less. If we cruise to enjoy seadays, we would never fly to the States, but jump aboard a ship here in Amsterdam. Maybe is that the difference between Europeans and Americans, we want to discover new places and if we visit a port, we want to see the most of it in all her beauty and not just shop, eat/drink and go back to the ship.

We want to see alot of beautiful places in the world, a cruiseship is just the transportation between the ports. Nothing more, nothing less. If we cruise to enjoy seadays, we would never fly to the States, but jump aboard a ship here in Amsterdam. Maybe is that the difference between Europeans and Americans, we want to discover new places and if we visit a port, we want to see the most of it in all her beauty and not just shop, eat/drink and go back to the ship.

Ah. So, all Americans do is shop, eat and drink and all Europeans do is sightsee to discover local culture and sights. That's quite a generalizing and insulting statement, don't you think? (And that is not coming from an American, I am European myself.)

Also, I don't understand why you take such a black/white position. Like you, I cruise to discover new places, learn about local culture, its people, the sights, the food... and in between, I enjoy the seadays, the sun and the pool. It is the combination of the two that makes cruising what it is all about. If a cruiseship is just the transportation, I wouldn't be paying the Celebrity premium, but simply book the cheapest Inside Cabin on Carnival. Or take a plane.

Looks like things will be back to normal on the 23rd. We fly out on Friday for a couple of days in Vancouver. Sure will beat the heat here in Atlanta. Thanks for all the posts on keeping everyone up to speed on what's been going on.

See you all on Sunday.

You still have time to sign up for the connections party, so do it, especially after the events of the past 3 days.

WWP

Hi All! I just got off the phone with Celebrity Customer Service and they told me word for word it was a "short circuit in the propulsion unit", that engineering has fixed the problem and the ship is fine. It's the first time they've acknowledged it as this problem to me and I'm choosing to trust and believe. I've wasted so much energy the last 36 hours freaking out about a cruise that's almost 4 weeks away. Until I hear differently, I'm going to be happy and continue to look forward to my cruise!

Although not as experienced with cruising as many others, prior to selecting a cruise I generally research through cruise travel journals/books etc. that would describe the various cruise/lines/ships prior to my cruise vacation. I was fully aware of the problems with the Celebrity M class ships (Infinity) and the fact that sailings have been disrupted in the past due to PROP. Albeit, the problem this time seems to be electrical circuit related.

I don’t have any particular allegiance to a specific cruise line. This time I choose the Celebrity Infinity because it was the cruise that best suited the ports/itinerary/dates/cabin availability/price that I wanted for my Alaskan experience. I have booked private excursions in the ports and arranged my own flights (cheaper), arriving the day before cruise departure and leaving the evening of our return to Vancouver. I know if I had booked my flights/port excursions through Celebrity, it would be their responsibility to “get me home” if for any reason we were delayed in getting back to port. This is a risk I take by booking on my own.

Last fall we cruised the Med. and due to a port strike, we were not able to dock in Marseille. This happens all the time in Europe (last minute strikes) affecting all modes of transportation (taxis, trains esp.) in addition to the periodic mechanical failures that cruiseships experience periodically.

With all of this in mind, I don’t believe Celebrity, or any other cruiseline purposely delays/cancels cruise departures/ports of calls etc. unless there is a safety/risk factor involved. It’s unfortunate that these things happen but when they do, it is out of their control and cruiselines usually compensate fairly.

I’m still looking forward to my August 20th sailing, hopeful that all goes well this week and in the weeks ahead for other cruisers.

Maybe I am too “Pollyanna”…..believing the cruiseline will come through for me one way or another :o

Happy Cruising

Maybe is that the difference between Europeans and Americans, we want to discover new places and if we visit a port, we want to see the most of it in all her beauty and not just shop, eat/drink and go back to the ship.

For the life of me, I don't understand why some people feel that they have to slam others in the course of making their particular point.

If you want to let us know that you see a cruise ship simply as transportation, that is a valid opinion, and I'm happy to hear your point of view, even if I subscribe to a different perspective.

However, empty, needless generalizations directed at another group of travellers are inflammatory and unkind, and do not advance your argument in any way.

Looks like things will be back to normal on the 23rd. We fly out on Friday for a couple of days in Vancouver. Sure will beat the heat here in Atlanta. Thanks for all the posts on keeping everyone up to speed on what's been going on.

See you all on Sunday.

You still have time to sign up for the connections party, so do it, especially after the events of the past 3 days.

WWP

We signed up and there are five of us... It would sure be nice to have the party. I haven't heard how many are signed up recently. Last time I looked, which is weeks ago, it was 11.

The Bush, I hope your travel runs smoothly. See you on Sunday. I'm soooo excited....:D

Sorry, I didn't realize that came from Celebrity, I thought that was Cruise Critics take of the situation. Good, then that's 2 sources that have the same information. Even better!

Most people on this board don't realize that there are a number of cruisers who visit the ports once in their lifetime, because of long and expensive flights (from Europe to Vancouver). An extra seaday is for the most of those people, including me, not a welcoming day. How do you feel if you travel to Europe and 1 or 2 really nice portdays, for example Rome and Santorini, will be cancelled and you've been there for the first time? It sucks, because you don't travel 11 hours to just see 3 instead of 5 port of calls, or am I wrong?

Excuses, it wasn't my intention to be rude, I was a little upset because some boardmembers are a little selfish in their opinions. Ofcourse not all Americans shop till they drop and yes...there are a lot of Europeans who prefer shopping instead of exploring.

Hi

I will be sailing on Infinity on 6th August. This cruise is part of a 4 week vacation. An extra sea day would not be particularly welcome (although I understand there are no certainties with cruising). We are flying from London and never have been to Alaska before. I doubt we'd have opportunity to for many years again. Therefore, I hope to see and enjoy those ports on my itinerary.

Happy cruising all,

Bev

It's 4:30am in Alaska and the webcam on the Infinity shows nothing but open seas. I hope it makes it to Ketchikan by 7am when it's supposed to. That would mean all is running well. I won't be able to check at the correct time so if someone notices, please post.

It's 4:30am in Alaska and the webcam on the Infinity shows nothing but open seas. I hope it makes it to Ketchikan by 7am when it's supposed to. That would mean all is running well. I won't be able to check at the correct time so if someone notices, please post.

It's 9:30 PST and she looks like she's still out to sea. Stupid question...is it possible she's tendering passengers in and they're actually at the port, we just can see it?

Archived