Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

my hubby said the one you forgot is Michigan! (That's where he got his MBA and he doesn't let me forget that! I just keep reminding him that the only time my Vols and his wolverines played, they got whoopped big time!)

June

Hi June :)

Thank you for reminding me that it was Michigan. Our daughter graduated from Northwestern University in 1999 and went to the away football game in Ann Arbor, Michigan during her freshman year (1995/1996) when they beat Michigan, were ranked #1 in the top ten, and played in the Rose Bowl. That doesn't happen very often :)

I heard some guy being interviewed at the airport saying he thought the ship listed 45 degrees. I don't think there is anyway that is possible without losing passengers

Hey Cass!

As someone who was at one time licensed by the U.S.C.G. I'll be pedantic & point out that a "list" is a static condition from having too much weight on one side of the vessel, while a "heel" is a dynamic condition due to wave, wind or motion. This ship heeled over for reasons undetermined but probably due to an excessive rate of turn commanded (improperly) by the autopilot, and probably afterward had a slight list due to all the stuff sliding to one side and making that side heavier.

Here is a good overview of ship stability (with proper Canadian spelling).

In the film clip I saw it looked like about 30 degrees - which is a LOT for a ship that size, and would be really frightening. The water coming up the side of the vessel on the outside of such a turn would also be driven up the side of the hull by the force of the hull moving sideways through the water, which could make it appear the windows were under water (which they were) even though the windows themselves did not descend below the actual level of the undisturbed ocean. Still pretty wild.

In the film clip I saw it looked like about 30 degrees - which is a LOT for a ship that size, and would be really frightening.

Did I miss a film clip?? I would be interested in seeing it.

I am so glad to hear that many people are home safely. This must have been such a terrifying ordeal. My thoughts and prayers are with the few people who are still hospitalized.

And many thanks to all of the passengers who have posted on the boards. It has been interesting to read about your first hand experiences.

Jamie

As far as im aware(im only a freshman in college) there is no way that the propulsion of a ship can make her list 45o. It would take an outside force(Wave,rock,vessel) Remember that when these ships are on their sea trials they do high speed turns and the ship lists (the degree escapes my mind now(i have it on a DVD somewhere)) I remember seeing the Voyager OTS near hard over and running tight circles the officers were holding on but thats on the bridge and goes along with the theory we agreed upon before.

-Greg

Guest DBP80203

If the list does turn out to be 15 degrees (as some state) I'm shocked that the injury totals aren't much higher. BTW-the initial estimates from the CG on the Sky were also in the 15 degree range, it took a couple weeks before they even settled on 8-8.5 degrees and several months before they had completed the investigation and decided it was the autopilot that had gone bad.

Let's all be grateful that more weren't hurt and the injuries weren't worse.

jmo

-Monte

Everyone is talking about the list, but wouldn't the ship's speed have a lot to do with the impact of the list as well? Has anyone heard of how fast the ship was going? It would be similar to taking a sharp turn in your automobile - even if only going at 20mph, a sudden turn will have everything in the car not nailed down sliding around.

David

Denver, CO

Did I miss a film clip?? I would be interested in seeing it.

It's on the foxnews.com site. The title is "Panic Aboard Cruise Ship", but since it pops up one of those obnoxious "media player" windows, the sole purpose of which is to show as many ads as possible, I can't put a direct link here.

At least it allows you to pause & rewind the film, unlike many.

Yea well Fox news said it was rough seas too, they are not realiable about this. There was NO panic. I heard one teenager sobbing hysterically when she called her friends, other than that it was almost an eerie calm. People wer stunned, for the most part. It was almost unbelieveable. People were asking if it really happened.

I sang, "Black Velvet" the night I did not win and, "What I Did for Love" the night I did. I was better the night I did not win. I was going to pander for votes last night and sing, "New York, New York."

Btw, I used my leftover booze money and my T-shirt shop money and booked a cruise today (they let me book with only $100.00 like I was on board. Thank you Princess). I booked the Crown Princess for next spring. Best way is to get back on the horse. Yippee Ki Yi Yea!

We were going 18.5 knots. I'm pretty sure the captain said that, or I asked an officer. I am missing a chunk of time. Probably from the stress. WAIT! IT'S PTSD! SOMEONE GIVE ME FREE CRUISES FOR LIFE! (Kidding).

I do NOT want to, in any way, diminish the seriousness of this or the real pain and horror some people felt. I understand that some people were really hurt and have a right to feel terrified and ask for some compensation. The guy wandering the halls asking how much he could "get for it" needed to go off a gangplank though. I am sure Deborah heard him too, cause she was right there, but she was in an elevator and VERY shaken up.

I couldn't get the pics to work but i think thats because of my works server, but the navy ones are insane. If you had a chance to see the specials on the USS Reagan they do high-spped turns and carriers are rumored to get up to 30+ kts. Obviously Cruise ships tests aren't as extream. But the ships speed is directly related to it. The ship can make a sharp turn in and out of port w/out much lean but if it tries to do the same at 20 kts. your gonna feel it BIG time.

-Greg

Yea well Fox news said it was rough seas too, they are not realiable about this...

Having piloted both boats and airplanes I cringe at the reporting involving either one. Most of these reporters have no idea what they are talking about, which unfortunately does not stop them from speaking.

...The guy wandering the halls asking how much he could "get for it" needed to go off a gangplank though...

I'll help you push.

Yes, I will sail the Crown Princess again!

I've never sailed them before (I'm kind of a Windstar sort) but I would not hesitate to go on this very ship, with the same crew, as soon as it sails again.

Most of these reporters have no idea what they are talking about, which unfortunately does not stop them from speaking.

There was a good one on my local news last night. Tragedy struck the "Carnival Crown Princess."

Also nothing beets a pic this morning in the news of the Orient Queen(one of the ships chartered to evac US citizens from the mid-east crisis) and under it it said "the Crown Princess arriving in Port Canaveral." BTW Orient Queen is 1/3 the size of Crown. They must have had a database of pictures and just chose that one. I got a good laough at that one this morning.

-Greg

Btw, I used my leftover booze money and my T-shirt shop money and booked a cruise today (they let me book with only $100.00 like I was on board. Thank you Princess). I booked the Crown Princess for next spring. Best way is to get back on the horse. Yippee Ki Yi Yea!

Good for you!!:):)

Also nothing beets a pic this morning in the news of the Orient Queen(one of the ships chartered to evac US citizens from the mid-east crisis) and under it it said "the Crown Princess arriving in Port Canaveral." BTW Orient Queen is 1/3 the size of Crown. They must have had a database of pictures and just chose that one. I got a good laough at that one this morning.

I saw that too and just laughed!

Hi Nancy and Carol.

We just got home, sorry we didnt get to bump into each other but I missed the meet and greet and totally forgot the 2nd meeting. I did however run into a few other CCers while on board. hemptodd was one and we had a great time on Grand Cayman. I'm glad I see you are oK, I haven't been on PC for many days now and this thread is long, so I want to read everything but also to say I'm glad you and carol and some others made out OK.

Nancy, having just got back from Cedar Point,I can say with out a doubt, that the Crown Princess Ride beat the dragster and Millineum Force!!:D

My daughter wants to know when we can go cruising again :eek:

Princess handled everything great so far.

It's so scary how the story morphed on the news and still does.

I was on balcony on starboard side E731 when it happened, We were on 8, and when I looked into water it seemed like 4th deck or so. But check this article out and tell me what you thinkt he list was, I thought 40 but now the animation of list is making me wonder if it was that much,

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-19-cruise_x.htm?csp=34

All OK here, my son 14 was in Gym with a friend of ours, the water from the pool at the Sanctury (great retreat, hint hint) crashed into the class of the gym, breaking the bottom pane and the water rushed in, the treadmills all fell (he was on one), weights fell, the poor kid ran out as fast as he could thinking he may have to jump overboard, (Our friend tried to stop him to calm him but he was out of there).

Oh well, life is good.

PS,I thought the entire cruise was great, the food was pretty good, not 5 star but pretty good. There were people grumbling about the food, but I found that Sabotini's and Crown were real good with great service. THe main rooms were real good, service was mostly good with a small foul up or 2 (nothing major), Most restautrant staff were real good, a very small who might be new or not cut out for this line of work. I guess I'll write about this later in another thread. SO I'll stop here for now.

.....ok, one last thing , the passengers we came across were real nice, it was a real nice crowd. (kids included!!, supposedly 600 kids, you wouldn't of known it). and they were wonderful with the kids while in camp and the incident occured (my wife was with one as he bolted from one of the groups during the incident (looking for his parents). My wife assiste an older man who had a sign fall on him (braking a bone in his shoulder or something), when she went there pillipino, waiter was assisting him, when my wife came over and introduced herself as a nurse, he smiled os much, jumped up and said, get out of the way, let her in. So many people (Several EMS passengers were helping around ship).

btw- on usatoday

After viewing Casshews demo and the Usatoday demo, I agree the list was less than I had thought, betweeen the 15 and the 30, and more towards the 15 (i was in aft starboard side (all the way in rear/aft), last elongated balcony on side. Minding my own business reading

Death Cruise

Tales of Death on the High Seas

fictional

my family and friends haven't let me live this one down,

I'm so glad to hear you all are ok and that everyone who was seriously and critically injured are going to be ok.

I have one question for you, before this incident at anytime during the cruise did you hear like the engines or something like a rutter churning, sound like the boat was having steering troubles?

During the July 2nd cruise i could remember numerous times that the captain came on to say he was trying to dodge storms and rain clouds. And everytime the boat seemed like we were trying to change our angle it sounded like we were hitting a school of whales. We would all make a joke and say we just hit free willy because it felt like it.

Did you also hear anything like that? and could you feel the vibration from Club Fusion at all??

I would go back on Crown in a heart beat. No matter what...

BTW. i saw a report from someone in CT. and the newscaster called the experience a heroic event and the man he was interviewing was overly blowing the situation out of hand saying he was on the 7th deck and was almost able to touch the water..

adnoid the links don't work.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /features/seafair2001/cvn74_01.jpg on this server.

They may not like direct links to the photos - but they still work for me. Try these:

http://www.hazegray.org/features/seafair2001/

Scroll down about 1/3 of the way down the page, under the section "Carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74)", first row, left side.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/68.htm

Scroll down about 3/4 of the way down the page, search for the picture captioned "NS026824" , "Photo of USS Nimitz (CVN-68) in a high-speed turn, believed to have been taken in the mid-1980s."

Guest LetMeGo
They may not like direct links to the photos - but they still work for me. Try these:

Thanks, I got to see the pictures.

It does look like around 15 degrees on those pictures...

Which would make a lot of sense since I seem to remember that they also test the cruise ships at the shipyard sea trials with that amount of listing.

Archived