DESTINY!!! Splendid cruise, Any Questions?..

I will watch for your review as I would love to do this cruise in late 07.

Curious as to:

-- Activity in the piano bar? Who was the piano player?

-- Is it really crazy to do that many ports in 7 days?

-- Is this the itinerary where some people start in PR and others board on a different island? Does that matter? Do you notice?

-- It's not one of the newer ships.... how has it stood up to time?

Thanks in advance for your review!

Also curious as to the ? the above poster asked?? We are doing this cruise in Feb. but without Aruba and with St. Lucia and Antiqua added.

Some really good reviews then naturally the horror reviews! What did you think of the ship?? What kind of cabin did you have.? We are on the Empress Deck with a balcony. Will be our first balcony!!!!!!!!!!!:D

We have thought about a different cruise but have already found cheap airfare to SJ. We are staying there 3 days prior to our cruise. We did like SJ when we stopped there last year, but felt we didn't have enough time.

Thanks for any info!!!

Was your day at sea crowded and hard to find chairs??? I have never had a problem with this, but I know many have. We did the Liberty last March and just loved her. It was our first Carnival cruise so we hope we will be pleased with the Destiny. Truthfully, we would have gone RC or PRincess if we had known they were taking Aruba off. That is the main reason we picked this cruise. How was Aruba??? Oh well, never been to St. Lucia either so that will be nice. Thanks again!!! Let us know when your review is posted!!:)

Hope you had a great time!!! I'm sure you're not thrilled to be back ... but welcome back anyway!!

We're leaving in 2 weeks - it'll be our first Carnival cruise and I've got tons of questions.

how many formal nights are there?

did you take any shore excursions - would you recommend one or two?

i hear it's just fun fun fun all the time - young crowd???

was smoking a problem? too much, didn't notice???

any tips or suggestions - things to definitely check out?

how were the shows??

thanks and I look forward to your review.

FromHereToThere-

Can't wait to read your review.... Would you mind posting it in the Main Destiny Cruisers thread as well when you're through?? Lots of folks use that thread as their main source of information and would love to see your review there permanently.

Thanks!

I began my cruise leaving Denver, Colorado on 07/07/06 at about 9:30 at night. For July Colorado has been getting a lot of rain and delayed our departure flight as it had not landed yet. So we were about 30 minutes behind or so. Not to bad, but flying would not be the best part of the trip, except for the fact it was first class all the way (Thanks US Airways)!

So leaving out of Denver 30 minutes late we made our way for Las Vegas ( I know, opposite direction of San Juan). Our flight attendant Holly was very attentive. A great way to start off a vacation is with a Mimosa, the bad way to start off a vacation is being frightedned by metal tray falling on the floor in middle of the night. After that needed a bit stronger drink. Let’s hear it for Jack! Now for those who have never sat in the plane on seats in front of the the engine housing, there is this awful whirring noise during take off, but all it is the air flowing through the fans (think talking into a fan), same scenario. Landing in Las Vegas, we get to Concourse C and find out our flight to Philly departs from Concourse A, so down the ramp we run, to catch a shuttle to the concourse, only to run through the concourse to make our flight to Philly. Time from door open on one flight to door close on the next..12 minutes! But still having a great time. From Las Vegas to Philadelphia it was smooth sailing as it was time to get some shut eye.

Arriving into Philadelphia we were able to walk through the airport to our connecting gate to San Juan in the International Terminal. The only problem here was with all the connections being a bit behind and the merger between US Airways and America West not fully complete yet, we had to check in at the gate. My first name was miss spelled so of course it took a moment for them to make sure I was who I said I was, then we were on our way to San Juan.

We arrived into San Juan a day prior to the cruise on 07/08. I found the flight from Philadelphia to San Juan spectacular. They show a movie so worth it alone. It was Shaggy Dog, never seen it in theatres but pleasantly surprised. The plane approach Puerto Rico from the west. It was pocketed with storms that day, so the pilot gracefully maneuvered us in and around the island to make our approach. You get to see all of San Juan on your approach. Once down on the ground make sure to look around in the grass from the plane. There are some very large lizards lying about. Like everyone else we made our way to baggage claim to find out our luggage didn’t make our connection in Las Vegas, but they assured it would be there when in 4 hrs. So we made out way out side to ride to the hotel. There is a little kiosk outside of baggage claim ran by the tourism office. Let them know where you are going. They will let you know the price upfront and off you go.

We paid $10 total for 2 people, 2 bags to the Intercontinental San Juan. It’s in the Isla Verde area of San Juan, close enough to the airport to hear them, but never a nuisance. Hold on to your ID, as I lost mine in the cab ride from the airport. The Hotel we ended up on the 8th floor facing inland. It was a nice room with a mini, mini, balcony, but interesting to watch the planes land across the field. The hotel sits right on the beach, and has direct access. All you have to do is get a wristband from the towel concierge so security doesn’t give you problems when coming back from the beach. It is gorgeous to walk on at night. We were going to eat at the Dragonfly, but with the luggage, we received late, we didn’t have anything to wear. We settled for Pizza Hut, not as greasy there, and called it a night. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, drink at this hotel. 2 baileys and hot chocolate cost $25 total for 2 people.

On day of embarkation 07/16, we woke early at about 9am so we can get a cab to pier which we caught at about 10:15. Arrived at the pier about 10:30-10:40. I believe it was only $20 but I can not remember. We were able to go ahead and check our luggage with a porter at the time. That was a good thing because we hadn’t had breakfast yet and we were starving. So we began to walk along the wharf, there were a few places but we decided to just cheap it out and stop at Burger King for some French toast sticks. We walked back to the ship arrived about 11:45 and check in. We went straight in as there was no line. There may have only been 2-3 dozen people checking in at that time. That took all of 5 minutes. Had to stop at the duty free shop, between check in and the metal detectors, had to pick up a bottle of Don Q Puerto Rican Rum for a friend. Then also picked up some Baileys as well. They tell you when you purchase it “hide” it and you’ll be fine.

Around 1230 they began to let guest onboard. That took maybe 10 minutes, and WELCOME TO THE CRUISE.:D (It's coming, be patient)

:D how was the food ?

where did u stay on the ship ?

i am sailing in Sept cant wait

any pictires?

will watch for your review

thanks

Scott

The food in the Dining room I found to be fulfilling and always the best portioning, not to much, not to little. Goldy Locks would be proud. Room Service a bit slow and limited on what you can get. I found the buffet best for breakfast and lunch. Lunch and Dinner The Pizza, Grille, New York was great & of course the dining room.

Had cabin 8339 Deck 8 aft balcony cabin. Absolutley loved this cabin. It was never windy. We left the balcony door open all nights we slept, great to watch leaving ports from. When we were in the cabin we left the cabin door open to get nice cool breeze through there.

I have nearly 200 pics currently waiting to be developed but I will provide a link once done.

I will watch for your review as I would love to do this cruise in late 07.

Curious as to:

-- Activity in the piano bar? Who was the piano player?

-- Is it really crazy to do that many ports in 7 days?

-- Is this the itinerary where some people start in PR and others board on a different island? Does that matter? Do you notice?

-- It's not one of the newer ships.... how has it stood up to time?

Thanks in advance for your review!

The piano bar I didnt frequent. So I can not comment. I thought 4 ports in 7 days with the sea days near the end was perfect. I never really felt rushed other than doing ST John on our own, thats a whole nother venture ill be writing about. The majority of people embark in San Juan, however guest are also embarked in Barbados & Aruba. For my first cruise and the ship being 10 years old, and just dry docked last Sept. I thought it was immaculate. I found a PORTHOLE magazine from right after the DE debuted and was able to do a room/room comparison. It was great.

Ain't that great about San Juan... they have a liquor store right there at the gangway and you can buy stuff there and the Carnival staff pretends not to notice when you bring it on board.

Our cruises from San Juan were very merry, indeed. Some of our group had so much liquor in the cabin, you could mistake it for a bar!

For Sea days, I never ever found it hard to find a deck chair. I think the crowd aboard the ship was a bit more active, so it was never a problem.

There are 2 formal nights. Our first one was Leaving Dominica, the 2nd one was one of the sea days. I can not remember, lol.

For shore excursions we took 1 in Dominica (had two one was cancelled do to lack of interest) We did the river tubing. I tube in Colorado, but this was amazing, bring a water proof camera, it is a great place to take pics of the country side. It is recommended that if you do not do an excursion in Dominica, not to get off the ship. I to recommend taking excursions here ( Pirates of the Caribbean II & III are filmed here.)

Jolly Rogers in Barbados was great. Yes it is a drinking cruise, that is personally why I chose it. But you can have beach time or open ocean swimming time. Im not the most avid swimmer, but I couldnt stay in the water, it is very salty, think the Great Salt Lakes. In Aruba did the Kayaking. Sherman, Greg, ClemPo & ShemPo, were our guides. They are amazing, they are close friends, very knowledgable. Ended up getting their emails and having lunch with them after the excursions, you get some open ocean snorkeling as well. Beware, fire coral!.

The crowd on board is mixed. We had alot of teachers on board. But regardless of the age of the guest on board everyone was there to have a great time. Age was definately not a factor here!

Smoking, never a problem, rarely seen it.

The shows, see everyone, they are great. The magician, a little cheasy, but fun to watch the kids enjoy it :) Things to check out i'll be adding later.

Day 3.5

Of course once on board I had to make sure that the S & S did work. Success, one drink of the day down. Since of course the ship does not depart until 10pm. We decided to make our way up the hill to tour the forts. There are two in San Juan, San Cristobal and El Morro. You can see both for $5 per person, just hold on to your receipt. We walked up hill and passed a parade of Latin Olympic athletes, apparently celebrating those that are getting to participate. We found it easier to go to San Cristobal fort first, since you can take a tour there, and then walk along the Atlantic wall to El Morro. Both are very gorgeous and worth the photographs. Getting to El Morro you will notice a lot of kite vendors as there is a large open field. It is a family event after church to go and fly kites. Walk near the water before you get to the fort for a view of a cemetery with large stone rests, with a spectacular ocean view.

I spent most of my time imagining arrive by sailing ship to see this island. Just a tad bit of info. The island was originally San Juan, and of course the port was Puerto Rico, however, I believe it was 15th century ( don’t quote me on date) a cartographer mixed the names and so they stuck.

From El Morro you can go directly south from there. It is some walking, but its all down hill from here. This will lead you in to a shopping area with places like Tommy, and Polo. We happen to run into a few sales so I picked up a $20 pair of pants for formal to go with my opera coat for formal night. Not a big shopper we continued walking to take pics and see the sights. Walked down a street that led to some tent vendors, a few blocks from the ship. It was starting to get hot so grabbed some shaved ice.

We were back at the ship at about 4pm or so. Decided to head back to the ship to grab some food from the lido deck and headed to our balcony 8339 to enjoy it. I looked in on rooms that still had doors open, for future reference: 9A’s are huge. And any funny shaped cabins on the deck plans are very spacious. Onboard at 6pm was the port talk for St Thomas, Dominica (Dom e ne ka), & Barbados. Sat on the balcony and took a nap till about muster. Went back to the cabin to watch the ship pull out backwards, make a turn and head out to sea. Once out to sea, went to join the deck party for a few, so I could get to bed early, as St Thomas was on the horizon, and that was already to be an adventure.

Thank you for such great memories......we leave tomorrow and can hardly wait.....giddy like a bunch of teenagers, you'd think we had never cruised before....but each cruise is like a separate adventure so they are never the same.

We will definitely enjoy this trip so we thank you again for your tips and advice. Can't wait for our own great memories.....! :cool:

Hi - this is the first time I've done this "chat" type of thing - my fiance & I are going on the Destiny Aug.20th - we're very active & want to know what the best things to do when we arrive in the ports - and, is there a way to connect with others who are cruising at the same time?

Hi - this is the first time I've done this "chat" type of thing - my fiance & I are going on the Destiny Aug.20th - we're very active & want to know what the best things to do when we arrive in the ports - and, is there a way to connect with others who are cruising at the same time?

Welcome! I suggest you start by going through the main Destiny Cruisers...Past and Future thread. It's long, but well worth the read and you can use the "search this thread" option to tune into exact information. Also, the Ports of Call message boards were a fantastic source of information for me in booking my independent tour guides doing exactly what I wanted to do. It's also much cheaper to do it yourself.

The Destiny thread is usually located on the first page of Carnival messages, but could end up on page 2 or 3 if there's alot of activity.

Good Luck!

Archived