LIVE on the Crown 7/22

LunaMoon

There is indeed a vibration (not major nor alarming to us) that happens when the ship is slowing down and stopping, or starting up and going.

I am not at all knowledgeable in things nautical, however, I remember Othellocruiser saying that it is something like applying the brakes or stepping on the gas in a car; in this case, though, we are talking about accelerating or coming to a halt in a 19-story, mutli-ton ship.

To me, whenever I felt this vibration, I knew we were either docking or going forward to the next port. It really was never alarming, especially if you knew that it was perfectly normal and something to do with rudders and stuff like that :-).

I think what the poster might have been referring to this morning is the Crown coming into the Brooklyn pier, and the captain manuevering the ship slowly and carefully next to the dock.

We watched from our balcony this morning as this giant massive ship was gently placed alongside the pier. It was a sight to behold and an amazing feat; especially for anyone who might have a hard time parallel parking even a honda civic, as I sometimes do! :-)

yup that was me! i dunno but my room was a shaking terribly this morning. i think it all depends on where your room is because the rest of my family (who both had aft balcony rooms) didn't hear/feel a thing. *shrugs* dunno why but it was B-A-D this morning :rolleyes:

Lunamoon, I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated reading of your daily adventures on the Crown. Your writing style made me feel as though I were along for the ride. You have brightened my days for the past week. You have to be a fun person to be around any time.

I'll watch for your posts of your next cruise.

Welcome home.

I'm planning to cruise on the Crown next year and I know it will be a blast!

Ciao,

Jack

Thanks for all the posts during your cruise, Lunamoon. We are looking forward to 11/4 on the Crown. Did I see something about James Lay? Is he the CD on Crown? We remember him from the Caribbean Princess.

Welcome home, LunaMoon...

Cruise Withdrawal set in yet?

"After the journey itself, it's all about the Memories".

Thank you for allowing us to share your memory.....

...........Also, I want to personally "Thank You" for answering my question....

James Lay was the CD on the Caribbean Princess during our Sept 2004(Hurricane Jeanne week) cruise. He and his crew were "FANTASTIC".

Luna Moon, thank you so much. I, along with the others, will say once again that you provided us with a wonderful week of insight, personality, and many smiles.

Lynne

LunaMoon- THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I AM SOOO GLAD YOU HAD A GREAT TIME!!! and thank you for giving us your imput!!!

James Lay - i thought was hilarious. My brother mocked his voice soo well. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. hahaha those infamous words. Not to mention his overly happiness when he did that ballerina skit.

Luna, I am amazed as to how rudely the piano player treated you in Adaigo. All the staff members we met were very friendly and smiling no matter the time of day.

We are home too. We were almost the last to debark at nearly 10:30 this morning. But we made it home by noon to pick up the dog from the kennel. We got the bird also so for the first time since July 18th all the members of the family will be under one roof.

The ship did creak/vibrate quite a bit also in the heavy winds and seas we hit. I am sure if the weather was better there would have been less noise.

It is sad to be home but at the same time it is nice to be home. Hubby is not looking forward to going to work at midnight Sunday night.

It was a real pleasure to meet you, Hill6, on the beautiful Crown!!

Are you too having pampering withdrawal?!? Whoaaaaaaa.....where did the floating buffet go?! I woke up from my dead-asleep stupor nap, and WHAM no place to stroll to for something yummy to pop into my mouth!

Poor Othellocruise was sent into the night to forage for a pizza.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....where is Francesco, the International Cafe guru and magical cappaccino conjurer, when you need him?! He's off on the high seas serving sumptuous plates of all things delectable to some other signora!

Ayayayayayaya papi, this withdrawal is giving me the shakes!

Guest debbiejohncruise
Wonderful Live From Post!! One of the most entertaining and informative I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Thanks sooo much for taking the time on your cruise to post it. It has made waiting for my cruise easier because I could enjoy yours.

We moved to Belgium for the next 3 years and came here from Belleville while my husband was working in Toronto. We are taking the new Emerald Princess on it's maiden voyage from Rome on Apr 11/07. What is your next cruise and which rooms do you recommend on Princess? Debbie and John

We moved to Belgium for the next 3 years and came here from Belleville while my husband was working in Toronto. We are taking the new Emerald Princess on it's maiden voyage from Rome on Apr 11/07. What is your next cruise and which rooms do you recommend on Princess? Debbie and John

Our next cruise is on the Crown in Sept 2006. The new Emerald sounds exciting, especially the maiden voyage. You've probably read that Princess gave everyone on the maiden voyage of the Crown crystal bowls commemorating it's maiden voyage. Room choice is a really personal thing. We have tried all the catagories of cabins except the suites. In the end we have decided to book into inside cabins. Our reason for this is that the space is almost as much as a balcony cabin. But being inside, it is really quiet and dark which is great for sleeping. There have been cruises where we were low and forward in a balcony/minisuite cabin and found that we could hear the wave hitting the hull of the ship all night. That noise would keep us up all night. But as you will read here there are many who would never take an inside and instead only go on balcony or minisuites or better. Enjoy your Emerald cruise it should be fabulous.

Since I had heard about some airconditioning problems on the Crown on previous sailings, I was all primed for a problem when I boarded last Saturday. No airconditioning, while sailing in the Caribbean in the dog days of summer, was THE primary worry for me.

Like a search and rescure bloodhound, all my senses were ready to pounce on every and any indication of heat in our cabin.

Soooooooo, sure enough it seemed warm at first, even with the airconditioning termostat on the highest level.

Othellocruiser, being a very clever and life-experienced kind of guy, immediately nipped my apprehension in the bud (so to speak :-) by saying, "there is nothing wrong with the airconditioning! it's just if you keep the sliding glass door even a sliver open, the hot air will cancel out the airconditioner and it will become a mixture of warm and cold, resulting in this steamy feeling."

Sure enough! whenever we forgot to close the sliding glass door to the balcony completely, WHAMO it became warm in the cabin. If we closed the deck door, and kept it closed for awhile it became as cold as a meat locker in our room.

I honestly think that some (not all, of course) of the warm cabin issues we've been hearing on this cc board have to do with sliding glass doors being left open, even for a short while.

I would have also thought something was wrong with our airconditioner had not my DH kept a vigilant eye on the status of our balcony door. Instead, I spent a comfortable week in a nice cool cabin. :)

I just raced thru this thread,,,skipping those arguing about your piano player incident...looking just for your moon sign; and I found your write-ups to be interesting, informative and amusing. Thanks for a pleasant read. Just one question from someone one who has not cruised Princess yet--what is the Sanctuary?

Sure enough! whenever we forgot to close the sliding glass door to the balcony completely, WHAMO it became warm in the cabin. If we closed the deck door, and kept it closed for awhile it became as cold as a meat locker in our room.

It's my understanding that some ships are designed to shut off the A/C when the doors are open.

Just jumping in here late and reading all the posts I have one other question about the ship. Princess is only stating personnel changes due to the incident but rumor has it that 35 people, including the captain were terminated. However, it seems the same captain was on your cruise, right? Or was Captain Andy new? I have been unable to confirm this rumor doing a Google search.

Frank-in-CA

The Sanctuary is a new Princess concept on the Crown. It is a secluded, shaded, luxury outdoor lounge area with premium service. The lounge chairs are cushioned with thick padding, the towels are extra fluffy, and it is a super quiet zone right above the Spa pool and next to the Lotus Spa.

Waiters will bring cool wet face towels to you, and indulge you with iced fruit-flavored water; you can order healthy treats and snacks which will be brought to you by the staff.

On the first sailing of the Crown it was free, first come first serve. Then the hordes stormed the bastille of this Sanctuary, and the bickering and cat fighting supposedly began, and they imposed a $15 for a half a day fee on its use to deter hoggers and hoarders of lounge chair space from commandeering the "Sanctuary." :)

Frank, Captain Andy was indeed the Captain of the Crown during the "list" incident, AND was still the Captain of the Crown last week when we sailed, 7/22.

I always thought that the Captain of a ship was ultimately responsible for the well being of his ship and all of the passengers and personnel aboard.

It will be more than interesting to see if indeed Captain Andy has been relieved of his command of the Crown.

Hey, LunaMoon...great photos! I love putting the faces to the "names".

Have 2 questions, if you don't mind.

1. I posted this to marlinmike on your roll call, but he may be finished with his visit there.You mentioned that he was in E730...we have the same in September. I have read here that some found excessive vibrations, shaking, etc. in the aft cabins. Since E730 is almost fully aft, I was wondering if marlinmike verbalized any complaints regarding such. I think you may have mentioned a party in his cabin, so perhaps you have some thoughts on E730?

2. How do you get VIP tkts to Letterman? We stood in line last April for 2 hours and were on call all day, only two be stopped 2 short of the amount of bodies needed for the 5PM taping. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed because we love Letterman. Would love to hear some tips, if you have any.

Thanks a million, and, as always, it's been a pleasure reading every one of your posts.

Karen

Baltimore ;)

Hi Madelinerose,

Our cabin party in Marlinmike's room E730 was great. The Marlin's mini suite was very roomy and his deck was wonderful. It was large and aft. He was able to fit all the homeboys on it comfortably!

We did not feel any vibration in his cabin or on his deck. I do not recall him mentioning any vibrations. They loved their deck and their aft view.

We got the letterman cbs vip tickets because one of our daughters worked for cbs radio and has friends in the right places, AND anything is possible on a Homeboy Tour!

Oh, I see the Homeboy CEO has taken over....;)

Thanks for the cabin info. Eases my mind quite a bit. Absolutely looking forward to that balcony and the port and aft views.

Hmmmm....guess we just don't know those in the right places at CBS. We'll have to work on that! ;)

Hi Madelinerose,Our cabin party in Marlinmike's room E730 was great. The Marlin's mini suite was very roomy and his deck was wonderful. It was large and aft. He was able to fit all the homeboys on it comfortably!We did not feel any vibration in his cabin or on his deck. I do not recall him mentioning any vibrations. They loved their deck and their aft view.

We got the letterman cbs vip tickets because one of our daughters worked for cbs radio and has friends in the right places, AND anything is possible on a Homeboy Tour!

Madelinerose,

Homeboy Tours can make anything possible!

Just inquire for all your upcoming precruise, cruise, and postcruise needs at the Homeboy Tours Headquarters, care of the Assistant to the CEO, the lovely and talented Lunamoon. :D

The Homeboy Tours motto is, "We are always at your service to perform the impossible!"

OK, now don't laugh, but when I first saw the name "Homeboy Tours", I searched for a website. Yes, I'm absolutely sure you can make anything possible! ;)

btw....Carolyn Spencer Brown, the Editor-in-Chief here, recently wrote a wonderful travel article in Baltimore Magazine about the Princeton area. She's formerly from Baltimore and lives in your viciinity currently. I've been curious to visit the Grounds for Sculpture and dine at Rats. Been there? Could be a little Fall trip for us.

Madelinerose,

Homeboy Tours can make anything possible!

Just inquire for all your upcoming precruise, cruise, and postcruise needs at the Homeboy Tours Headquarters, care of the Assistant to the CEO, the lovely and talented Lunamoon. :D The Homeboy Tours motto is, "We are always at your service to perform the impossible!"

Archived