LIVE on the Crown 7/22

LunaMoon

Luna Moon,

Whether or not your group was out of line, there had to be a better way to handle the matter. IMO if an entertainter had yelled at me to get out I would have reported him ASAP. No one needs to be embarassed like that.

How did the CD find out about the incident? Did some other passengers say something to him or did the piano player? The CD's apology was too little to late. You let him off way to easily. If passengers don't go to these venues and spend money on drinks, the piano player wouldn't have a job. He needs to chill out and take some time off or find another line of work.

Your group might have been louder than anyone else in the room but no way would I have allowed anyone on board to treat any passenger that way. A waiter could have been sent over to you with a request to tone it down without causing any embarssment to anyone. It could have been handled in a diplomatic way. Regardless of what you paid for the cruise this in no way excuses such behavior.

Princess needs to instruct their staff how to behave in such situations. I don't think would have been acceptable on any other cruise line.

If your group was too loud, it was not done to spite anyone or create a situation. But his response was meant to demean and disrespect you and just leaves a very bad taste.

On every cruise there usually are some passengers who either drink too much and embarass themselves or disturb other passengers. There are more discrete ways to handle them. He could have asked your group to work along with him by playing your favorite songs and thereby defusing the situation.

I have been on HAL and their piano bar entertainers get such high marks from the passengers because they interact with them and encourage them to participate by singing or dancing. They even had conga lines and fun things like passing around a roll of toilet paper around the room without breaking it. Passengers become part of the entertainment and everyone has a good time.

During the 7/2 sailing many passengers complained about how nasty some of the Passenger Services desk personnel were. Also, there were several incidents of rude waiters. None of this behavior should be allowed. How much you pay for a sailing has nothing to do with proper customer service. Too many staff act like they are doing you a favor instead of doing their jobs properly. Thank goodness for the outstanding workers who go out of their way to be pleasant and put a smile on your face! They should be properly acknowledged when you fill out the comment cards along with the "grumpy" ones.

MARAPRINCE

Mr. Sleeth did not need to be rude....

Could there been a reason?

......People in service industries don't always have great days either.

Maybe he wasn't receiving tips, heard laughing and talking, had other things on his mind, etc. He might have felt he wasn't being appreciated... You don't know what goes on in other peoples' minds....

Wondering - - -

Did he have a cup, with a piece of paper saying, "All Tips Welcomed", on his piano?

We will agree to disagree then. But let me ask you this: would you feel completely free to make as much noise as you would like in this space as say, in a sports bar or some such other venue? Was there nothing that spoke to you that suggested, hey, this man is performing on a mini-stage and I might want to pay attention to him rather than engage in a private ongoing discussion in clear view of the performer, or take the conversation elsewhere? Do you really think that in a room that size, and we both were there, so we have the same point of reference, that it would be ok to make as much noise as one wants when a LIVE performer is on stage?

As an honest and heartfelt aside, I have read all (or almost all) of your posts here about your experience on the last sailing and I would like to tell you how much I admire your poise and good humor in the face of adversity.

In the end, I agree with you (I think, and not to put words in your mouth) if you are implying that no one should have been approached so aggressively for misunderstanding the nature of the space (at least to my thinking), and if in the estimation of the staff their conduct was not in in keeping with the atmosphere that they were seeking for the venue, they could have been politely and quietly asked to tone it down or find another suitable place to carry on.

Cheers and best wishes,

Carol (Merionmom) is one of the most considerate and thoughtful people I've ever met. She did not state that she did this, nor would she.

Mr. Sleeth did not need to be rude....

Could there been a reason?

......People in service industries don't always have great days either.

Maybe he wasn't receiving tips, heard laughing and talking, had other things on his mind, etc. He might have felt he wasn't being appreciated... You don't know what goes on in other peoples' minds....

Wondering - - -

Did he have a cup, with a piece of paper saying, "All Tips Welcomed", on his piano?

From reading other posts about how other cruisers found this musician to polite, respectful and one that interacts with his audience (in a good way:) ), I would agree that something else must be going on.

I have also read that people that were on that "other cruise" are having problems sleeping, are venting anger, wake up in their own beds feeling like they're tilting etc. etc. etc.. I can't imagine what it may have felt like to go through that traumatic experience ( although, since we are boarding this ship tomorrow, my undisciplined mind has often attempted to go there). I don't know much about Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, but if I had to make up a list of what some of the symptoms might be, these would certainly be on it!

Maybe Charlie was just having a bad day, (which is absolutely NO EXCUSE for acting so unprofessionally and down right rude) or maybe the guy has PTS, is still living in the place that caused it, and needs help.

Princess has access to the best "cruise musicians" in the world, and I would believe that they would hire all the best for this ship. I for one will try my best to give this crew the benifit of the doubt and hope my fellow cruisers will do the same.

Okay, I'm off my soap box and am getting in cruise mode!!

Happy sailing everyone!

Sorry for going on this long, but for some reason I felt obligated to respond to this thread.

I have to say the other guy (Sammy) was very interactive and polite. Not my cup of tea, but freindly and funny all the same. When I say, "not my cup of tea" he was a tad contrived. He did help me remember the names of the ladies I was with though.

Hi SeaMates,

I believe you were the gentlemen that we met at our "meeting" in Adagio. It was a pleasure even though we only finally met toward the end of our cruise. We share you sentiment exactly and had an amazing vacation - our best infact. When we first heard of the 'listing" incident, we felt so bad for the passangers and crew as well as for the ship itself.

Anyway,

take care

Andre & Rich

We're on the same page; I'd gladly sail with you any day. And I'd let you buy me a limoncello in Adagio's. (and I won't go into my issue with the bartender and the charges for the limoncello here.....)

I'm so glad you feel that way.:) I was worried after posting that I had gone too far and would now be the subject of endless rebuttals.:( Whew! I would be delighted to buy you a Limoncello there or anywhere and hear more of your adventures. We are on the Noordam next February out of NYC, so think about that trip! 11 days RT from NYC, six ports and four sea days, two at the front and two at the back! Ah, heaven! Be well.

Stay cooool,

Not really being sure of how the cruise industry works, but I am not sure about calling any of the performers/muscians/comedians onboard "staff". In the entertainment industry the performers are called "talent" and the rules they are hired under include entertainment, not customer service, like say the waiters, cleaners, pursers.

Of course there is never an excuse for rudeness, but sometimes it takes two parties to be rude and in my opinion two wrongs do not make it right.

I'm sure Mr Sleeth was well chastized by James Lay and has "learned his lesson" because he knows now he is not playing Carnegie Hall but a sometimes rowdy venue on a Carnival owned cruise ship.

Hi SeaMates,

I believe you were the gentlemen that we met at our "meeting" in Adagio. It was a pleasure even though we only finally met toward the end of our cruise. We share you sentiment exactly and had an amazing vacation - our best infact. When we first heard of the 'listing" incident, we felt so bad for the passangers and crew as well as for the ship itself.

Anyway,

take care

Andre & Rich

Hello again! Hope you are well. We too had the most amazing trip, our best cruise ever, in fact. Refresh our memories, are you Park Slope, Brooklyn, New Jersey or elsewhere? I think we sat and talked together some more after the meeting ended? Is that right? Anyways, would be delighted to meet up with you gents again sometime. Send us an email at michael_driscoll89@post.harvard.edu (that's an underscore between first and last name)

Regards,

Michael and Lawrence

Not really being sure of how the cruise industry works, but I am not sure about calling any of the performers/muscians/comedians onboard "staff". In the entertainment industry the performers are called "talent" and the rules they are hired under include entertainment, not customer service, like say the waiters, cleaners, pursers.

Of course there is never an excuse for rudeness, but sometimes it takes two parties to be rude and two wrongs do not make it right.

You are quite right. They are talent not staff. They have similar status to officers. Which is in no way to excuse rudeness on anyone's part. I will certainly take the opportunity to speak to Charlie about the incident (as after talking with him onboard, I know where he plays here in NYC) and see if I can learn more about what exactly transpired and understand better what he went through the prior sailing (I do believe he was on it, but maybe not, as he did get off the ship on July 2).

As to Sammy's style discussed earlier, I can see the poster's point about how his routine may seem a little forced or contrived, but I really think that is just who he is. He really enjoys getting to know his audience and making them feel part of a floating family, if only for a week. Can't wait to see him here in NYC! For any of you interested in checking out his website, it is http://www.sammygoldstein.com/

Happy cruising,

Enough already re the debate about the "Adagio incident"! LunaMoon has done us the favour of sharing her experiences with us about her cruise and all some of you can do is criticize. For heaven's sake let her enjoy her vacation! I'm sure she didn't mean to start a debate and if she is half as stressed as I am reading these messages, you could be ruining her holiday. Let it go!

Luna,

So sorry we could not sail with you this time. We were really looking forward to it. I have been following your great postings and wished we were there with you all!

Hopefully, we will get that chance on some future cruise. Glad you are having such a good cruise.

Until next time!!!!

W&H

The status of the headliners is actually closer to passengers than to crew. I would call them "eontractual employees" rather than "staff," I guess.

There really needs to be some clarity about this. I think I'll ask the Cruise Director when I'm on Crown what his take on Adagio is with respect to whether this is bar entertainment or a performance.

Enough already re the debate about the "Adagio incident"! LunaMoon has done us the favour of sharing her experiences with us about her cruise and all some of you can do is criticize. For heaven's sake let her enjoy her vacation! I'm sure she didn't mean to start a debate and if she is half as stressed as I am reading these messages, you could be ruining her holiday. Let it go!

You are quite right, let's start a new thread dedicated only to this question. Then no one will be forced to read stressful things and can be happy all the time.;)

Seriously, LunaMoon posted regarding the issue in a very dramatic recount, as she apparently felt very strongly about it, and others are entitled to give their two cents. I never intended to criticize anyone nor have I read any posts that directed any criticism at her personally. I believe everyone understands that something very unpleasant occurred, but some of us are also interested in seeing that some clarity is brought as to the nature of the experience Princess intends for Adagio. Surely, you can agree that future cruisers may want to be forewarned as to what to expect when they enter a public space on a new ship? Is that not part of what these boards are all about?

We obviously cannot know what went on, but some of us have had the pleasure of "being there" and there clearly is some confusion as to the nature of the venue. In the interest of keeping others from experiencing a similarly disturbing evening's ending, I wholeheartedly urge those sailing next to have that chat with the CD or the staff in the Adagio, to find out the "purpose" of the lounge. Or be really wild and just walk in and start whooping it up and see what happens! (NO, I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS WHAT HAPPENDED!)

No one intended to "ruin" anyone's holiday, just to see if there might be a way to understand the situation as something more than just a surly piano man. Sorry to have stressed you or anyone else out.

And now, I will take your advice (in the form of a command) and let it go!

At almost 200,000 members there is no way on earth that everyone is going to agree and what a boring world it would be if we all did! Disagreements o the boards happen. Lunamoon does not seem to me to be someone who would let a disagreement on CC ruin her cruise (let me know if I'm wrong on that score and I will offer a double quick apology).

At almost 200,000 members there is no way on earth that everyone is going to agree and what a boring world it would be if we all did! Disagreements o the boards happen. Lunamoon does not seem to me to be someone who would let a disagreement on CC ruin her cruise (let me know if I'm wrong on that score and I will offer a double quick apology).

I get such a kick out of your posts and your perspective! I really hope we meet you and Merion_Mom onboard someday! I hope you are sleeping better.:) Peace.

I get such a kick out of your posts and your perspective! I really hope we meet you and Merion_Mom onboard someday! I hope you are sleeping better.:) Peace.

That's good, cause I would hate to have made you hate me forever with my Adagio comments. I never mean to make anyone irritated and yet there they are, following me like sharks. I know, it's me ;)

That's good, cause I would hate to have made you hate me forever with my Adagio comments. I never mean to make anyone irritated and yet there they are, following me like sharks. I know, it's me ;)

Be brave and never be afraid to state your opinions (not that I get the sense that you ever would;) ). Of course I would not hate you for sharing your perspective! I have been following you around these boards for days now, but only to brighten the day (and put off doing work!). Keep on being you!:)

Last night was our first formal night. All of the homeboy gentlemen looked dashing in their tuxedos, and we ladies didn't look like chopped liver either! :-) At dinner, Othellocuriser was surprised with a beautiful birthday cake that I had ordered the day before, and many hilarious surprises from our friends. Since Othellocruiser always hangs a pirate flag from our cabin balcony when we sail, our fellow homeboys gave him a blowup shoulder parrot, an eye patch, a pirate doo-rag for his head, a gold loop earring, and a hook for his hand. And YES that IS how he stayed dressed with his tuxedo on, for our group formal photo portrait! LOLLLLLLL

Ok, now it's time to run and hide before the Pirate of the Crown makes me walk the plank for using all of our refund for the internet!

Oh, tonight's Italian night for dinner, and tomorrow the homeboys are invading the Crown Grill.

Ciao belli!

How many people were in tux's and gowns on formal night? What would be the percentage say, vis-a-vis suits? Great review!

Mille grazie!

... I never mean to make anyone irritated and yet there they are, following me like sharks. I know, it's me

Too funny. I just wanted to let you know that I feel like I'm stalking you! (of course, in the best possible way) :D I love reading your posts! I was psyched to see that you're cruising again on 5/12/07 (that is the date you finally decided on, right?) for your anniversary. DH and I are on that one too, celebrating our 20th!!

Too funny. I just wanted to let you know that I feel like I'm stalking you! (of course, in the best possible way) :D I love reading your posts! I was psyched to see that you're cruising again on 5/12/07 (that is the date you finally decided on, right?) for your anniversary. DH and I are on that one too, celebrating our 20th!!

Wow, twenty years! Not sure poor Gene will live that long :) (he reads the boards and will laugh at this. I would never abuse my husband where he could not read and enjoy it).

You're on my cruise? REALLY? We need to meet for a drink! I'l dump Frick and Frack at the kids center (truth be told they will probably have to be dragged out kicking and screaming).

You need to go to the roll call cause everyone posting there seems not to be going on the cruise. Odd.

To usurp an answer... On our formal night (we only had one. The second one everyone was in jeans and shorts. Very odd to eat lobster tails like that) the majority of women were in long gowns and men in suits or tuxes. Probably the highest percentage of any cruise I have ever been on! So much so that Gene is getting a tux before we sail. We've been putting it off, but honestly he will get enough wear out of it and he's not changed sizes in 14 years.

Yes, for those choosing to go on the Princess, no matter what problems they had just recently had, and get 50% off (I don't know how true this part is), how much more do you want?

With common sense :confused: , most people would know that if they had all that water damage, etc., and in that short period of time, and start back up, there is bound to be areas that still need to be fixed.

Afterall, no one "made" those that had already booked the cruise, take the ship when it went back out that soon, it was "their" choice.

Archived