LIVE on the Crown 7/22

LunaMoon

Luna, you write the cutest posts and I've enjoyed each and every one --- I even find myself logging on more often than usual to see what you're up to now!!! Keep them coming, please --- it's only getting me more and more excited about our upcoming Crown cruise. I do have a question, however --- how do you rate the Crown compared to other ships you've been on ???? You sound like a lot of fun to vacation with .......

It may surprise some people to know that some passengers actually go to a specific lounge for a quiet drink and nice entertainment. I often go to a bar just to enjoy a particular performer. There are numerous bars and lounges on a ship that do not have a performer where people can go and drink, laugh and be merry to their hearts content. Why make it difficult for a musician who is only trying to do what he's paid for. It's called common courtesy.

Agree... However since I wasn't there I cannot comment on just how loud the listeners were but I can assume that something set him off. I have read on this board and on other boards how sometimes "Group Cruisers" can take over certain areas such as the hot tubs and bars and have no regards for other passengers. Not saying that this is the case, however "mob mentality" sometimes rules on cruise ships rather than common sense..

:rolleyes: Thanks Luna Moon for taking all the time to post your interesting experiences.

Some questions....since I am getting ready to sail...Has there been ANY listing or tilting whatsoever on your trip? Have you spoken to the captain about last week's incident? Have you been to visit the bridge?(I know only certain people are allowed?)

On a lighter note, who do you recommend for a good massage for someone who has a hurting back? Did you say Anthony is the best? When one prereserves, they dont ask you even if you want a man or a women..how do I handle that? On the ship?

Well, keep having a marvelous time...everyone appreciates your input.... I am currently starving myself so I can eat on the ship. Sea glass

LunaMoon --

Love your whimsical postings.... Fun and enjoyable to read....Thank you.

Can I ask a big favor from you.....

I would like to know, on the wine list, what they offer and cost, don't know if I should bring my own or not....I usually drink Zinfandel.

I would really appreciate it....thanks....

Hope you get lucky at the Craps table.....

Ten the hard way---ladies delight !

Thank you, DH wanted to make sure he could still get his Grey Goose for pre-dinner cocktails. By set-up's is that like a package with mixer's? Btw, glad you made it home safely and that you for posting while onboard.

Unfortunately, they have eliminated the nice selection of bottles for room-order. You now must purchase packages, for instance a 375 ml bottle of Smirnoff with three cans of tonic, for I believe $21 plus grat. A major negative for us, since it just meant we seemed to have to call for a new one every other day! We do like our balcony cocktails! Lots of leftover tonic!:D

LunaMoon,

Could you please take note when express self-disembarkation starts and post the time? We're trying to get off the ship and catch an earlier flight than we currently have scheduled. The info would be much appreciated!

It appears they view the Adagio bar as a venue for providing interactive entertainment. That's the kind of entertainers they are. Maybe Princess thought cruisers would like a bar with that kind of entertainment. Other bars had background music, so perhaps those are the bars to visit for conversation, and Adagio is the bar to visit to veg out and listen.

On a recent sailing of the Crown, my partner and I spent many evenings listening and enjoying the music and crowd interaction of both Sammy and Charlie, and I truly believe that these venues are their space for performance.

To my mind the comment above captures the essence of what this issue may be about, which is certainly not to defend an outburst such as lunamoon described.

The Crown certainly does promote this venue as a "performance space" with an atmosphere of a cabaret and, at least on our sailing, highlighted it in the Patter like any other "headliner" performance space.

One surely would not sit and hold an ongoing conversation with laughter in the Princess Theater or other similar space; even in New York City one would not be allowed to do so without being asked to take it outside.

Laughing with the performer, singing along, even the occassional shout of encouragement during an interlude; these are all fine so long as they are about the group experience of the performance.

Had you wished not to be entertained and felt more like socializing with just your group (empty bar or not), many other spaces were surely available to you where the music was actually background.

Again, I feel how awkward and upsetting it must have been, but ask that you rethink what your behavior said to the performer about your not appreciating the purpose of his presence on the little stage of Adagio.

Hope you enjoy the remainder of your voyage without further episodes such as this.

Smooth sailing,

Perhaps Princess could do a better job of communicating that these are performers in performance spaces rather than entertainers in bars? That would go along way toward putting the musicians and patrons on the same page in terms of what is expected. "Bar" doesn't translate to "shhhh!" for most people.

So it's the norm....only it was the staff that told them they were too loud and should consider leaving."

"The room is warm, with small nooks and crannies. It is NOT a venue for a show and from what I saw the piano player is not there to be the main focus, rather a nice part of the experience. Apparently the piano player feels differently.

So too, apparently, does the staff of the venue (feel differently about what is meant to be the main focus).

I respectfully must disagree with your description of the room, and this may just be a matter of personal perception, but to my eye, the focus of the room is most certainly the piano player. The piano is on a mini-raised platform, under lights. There is a bar in the far rear of the room where people would certainly be welcome to sit and converse (quietly) that is quite removed from the rest of the space, where the majority of the seating is arranged to focus on the piano.

Again, the matter surely could have been handled more adeptly, but I will second (or third) the poster(s) above who indicated that this sounds very much unlike Charlie, with whom I shared a number of delightful conversations after his performances, and whose rapport with the crowd, while not as ebbulient as Sammy's, was certainly warm and involved. Sounds like he was just very tired and as all humans will do from time to time, let a little frustration get out of hand. Please do remember that he too was part of the sad experience of the prior cruise, and only he knows what he went through. Not my place to make excuses for anyone, but I do respectfully suggest (again, and this will be the last time, I promise!) that there appears to have been some confusion about what Adagio is about.

Peace,

Gonna disagree about Adagio. It's an intimate atmosphere with no performance lights for the player. He is lit, do not get me wrong, but he is not the sole focus of the room. There are windows to the sea etc.

Aren't they getting to cruise at a significantly reduced rate...something like 50% off? Or passengers had the option to cancel. Sheesh. What more can one ask for. People knew that this ship had recently had a major mishap. But, most chose to sail, anyway. Why not? I'm sure there are very few things out of place on this ship, all things considered.

Shame on Princess. I cannot believe they did not wait a week to give them time to fix things and do repairs. Elevators are not working, carpeting, damage. They are not delivering the quality product that is expected from Princess.

GMTA! I just posted almost the same thing before I read yours. :p

They are delivering it at half price and gave all PAX the opportunity to cancel at full refund. Those on the ship knew what they would be getting into and a half price cruise, sign me up.

Aren't they getting to cruise at a significantly reduced rate...something like 50% off? Or passengers had the option to cancel. Sheesh. What more can one ask for. People knew that this ship had recently had a major mishap. But, most chose to sail, anyway. Why not? I'm sure there are very few things out of place on this ship, all things considered.

Well said. I would gladly deal with these minor inconveniences if I could cruise for 50% off!!!!!!! :)

So it's the norm....only it was the staff that told them they were too loud and should consider leaving."

"The room is warm, with small nooks and crannies. It is NOT a venue for a show and from what I saw the piano player is not there to be the main focus, rather a nice part of the experience. Apparently the piano player feels differently.

So too, apparently, does the staff of the venue (feel differently about what is meant to be the main focus).

I respectfully must disagree with your description of the room, and this may just be a matter of personal perception, but to my eye, the focus of the room is most certainly the piano player. The piano is on a mini-raised platform, under lights. There is a bar in the far rear of the room where people would certainly be welcome to sit and converse (quietly) that is quite removed from the rest of the space, where the majority of the seating is arranged to focus on the piano.

Again, the matter surely could have been handled more adeptly, but I will second (or third) the poster(s) above who indicated that this sounds very much unlike Charlie, with whom I shared a number of delightful conversations after his performances, and whose rapport with the crowd, while not as ebbulient as Sammy's, was certainly warm and involved. Sounds like he was just very tired and as all humans will do from time to time, let a little frustration get out of hand. Please do remember that he too was part of the sad experience of the prior cruise, and only he knows what he went through. Not my place to make excuses for anyone, but I do respectfully suggest (again, and this will be the last time, I promise!) that there appears to have been some confusion about what Adagio is about.

And I would respectfully disagree with your description of the space. The seating is broken up into little "living room" arrangements, of chairs and sofas facing one another, many with their backs to the piano, many being sofas which cannot be moved. There are pillars and supporting members that block any view of the piano area. There are high lamps which also block any view of the piano area. If you WANT to look at the piano player, you often cannot.

The way that Adagio looks now is NOT conducive to believing that this is a "SHUSH, there is a performance going on" location.

Peace. :)

I want to thank everyone that took the time from their cruise to post the many messages that are making us believers again. We are going on the crown sept 3, first time cruisers and hope to have a good time and meet people that are as nice as some of you cruisers are. Sorry your cruise is almost over, but you will be back. Kevin

My cruise doesn't start until this weekend, so I haven't seen Adagio yet, but aren't we talking about an intimate bar with a piano player, and not a concert hall?

IMO, if Mr Sleeth's ego is so fragile that he gets offended by someone laughing at a joke in a bar, he has some issues that he needs to work out.

And I would respectfully disagree with your description of the space. The seating is broken up into little "living room" arrangements, of chairs and sofas facing one another, many with their backs to the piano, many being sofas which cannot be moved. There are pillars and supporting members that block any view of the piano area. There are high lamps which also block any view of the piano area. If you WANT to look at the piano player, you often cannot.

The way that Adagio looks now is NOT conducive to believing that this is a "SHUSH, there is a performance going on" location.

Peace. :)

We will agree to disagree then. But let me ask you this: would you feel completely free to make as much noise as you would like in this space as say, in a sports bar or some such other venue? Was there nothing that spoke to you that suggested, hey, this man is performing on a mini-stage and I might want to pay attention to him rather than engage in a private ongoing discussion in clear view of the performer, or take the conversation elsewhere? Do you really think that in a room that size, and we both were there, so we have the same point of reference, that it would be ok to make as much noise as one wants when a LIVE performer is on stage?

As an honest and heartfelt aside, I have read all (or almost all) of your posts here about your experience on the last sailing and I would like to tell you how much I admire your poise and good humor in the face of adversity.

In the end, I agree with you (I think, and not to put words in your mouth) if you are implying that no one should have been approached so aggressively for misunderstanding the nature of the space (at least to my thinking), and if in the estimation of the staff their conduct was not in in keeping with the atmosphere that they were seeking for the venue, they could have been politely and quietly asked to tone it down or find another suitable place to carry on.

Cheers and best wishes,

My cruise doesn't start until this weekend, so I haven't seen Adagio yet, but aren't we talking about an intimate bar with a piano player, and not a concert hall?

IMO, if Mr Sleeth's ego is so fragile that he gets offended by someone laughing at a joke in a bar, he has some issues that he needs to work out.

Go there, and you will see what we are talking about. Some seem to view this as a bar with background music, others (like me) as a performance space, not like a concert hall, but more like a cabaret, where the focus is, and rightly should be, on the performer. You can decide for yourself in two short days! Say hi to Sammy (and Charlie if he is still there!) from Michael and Lawrence in NYC.

Hi LunaMoon

I am also enjoying your reports!

How was the Ionthermie. I always wanted to try it!

Have you been to the shopping talks? Do they still push the Savvy Traveler book? I bought one on the Dawn last year. What made it worth it was that they gave you 20% off in the spa. Can you find out if they still honor that deal? My book is still valid. (I wouldn't buy another one!)

Enjoy the rest of your trip! Thanks for the entertaining observations!

a kindly older gentleman sat down next to me (with a black card no less) and asked me to help him log onto a site to get his stock quote for today. I have helped him before and I am happy to do it, BUT the last time I forgot to log off and WOW those .35 cents can sure add up.

The least he could do is swipe his black card so you can get some free internet!

I'm really not much of a sports bar person (being neither a sports fan nor a drinker :) ) but there really isn't anywhere on a Princess ship that I would conduct myself as people in sports bars tend to do. Too boisterous for me. But, I don't think that was what was happening here.

Until it is reasonably clear that this is a performance venue (and it's obviously not clear now), I think it's too much to expect that everyone "gets" that they should be seated and quietly enjoy the show. If the conversational level disrupts other tables and their conversations, that's too noisy. But, otherwise, conversation and light laughter seems alright in a bar with a pianist.

We will agree to disagree then. But let me ask you this: would you feel completely free to make as much noise as you would like in this space as say, in a sports bar or some such other venue? Was there nothing that spoke to you that suggested, hey, this man is performing on a mini-stage and I might want to pay attention to him rather than engage in a private ongoing discussion in clear view of the performer, or take the conversation elsewhere? Do you really think that in a room that size, and we both were there, so we have the same point of reference, that it would be ok to make as much noise as one wants when a LIVE performer is on stage?

As an honest and heartfelt aside, I have read all (or almost all) of your posts here about your experience on the last sailing and I would like to tell you how much I admire your poise and good humor in the face of adversity.

In the end, I agree with you (I think, and not to put words in your mouth) if you are implying that no one should have been approached so aggressively for misunderstanding the nature of the space (at least to my thinking), and if in the estimation of the staff their conduct was not in in keeping with the atmosphere that they were seeking for the venue, they could have been politely and quietly asked to tone it down or find another suitable place to carry on.

Cheers and best wishes,

We're on the same page; I'd gladly sail with you any day. And I'd let you buy me a limoncello in Adagio's. (and I won't go into my issue with the bartender and the charges for the limoncello here.....)

Archived