For those that chance flying out on Cruise disembarkation day.

zydecocruiser

Occasionally cruise ships don't return as scheduled, and there are many (all?) of the same factors in play that could make you late returning home after a cruise.

Most people seem to not care - heck, if I can't make it back for work/school/whatever, oh well.

A few people seem to schedule important events the same day they get booted off of the ship. Sometimes ship happens at either or both ends of a cruise.

If you can schedule a buffer after your cruise, you can reduce the post-cruise stress.

Occasionally cruise ships don't return as scheduled, and there are many (all?) of the same factors in play that could make you late returning home after a cruise.

Most people seem to not care - heck, if I can't make it back for work/school/whatever, oh well.

A few people seem to schedule important events the same day they get booted off of the ship. Sometimes ship happens at either or both ends of a cruise.

If you can schedule a buffer after your cruise, you can reduce the post-cruise stress.

We always get stuck with a 6pm flight out of Miami. Yes its rush rush to get off the ship and then wait wait. Sometimes we can get an eariler flight but since we usually sail around spring break, everything is booked.

Fred

We had flights home the same day as debarkation for the first four cruises without any problems. The fifth cruise we stayed overnight in Miami after debarkation. We wont be doing that again as all we wanted to do after getting off the ship was go home. Of course, that's my experience, not everyone's. We do fly in a day early now though, have been doing that since cruise #4. :)

Last cruise our flight was at 12:30 pm out of FLL - we got off the ship okay (Miami) - around 9:30 - onto bus and at the airport by 10:30 am - and that's where the problem is!

HUGE lines winding OUTSIDE the airport to try and get thru security checkpoint before getting to the gates! I guess even with the knowledge of several cruise ships disembarking on the weekends the airport was still not able to handle the influx of passengers.

We were pretty stressed as we went to the back of the line - we made it thru security around 12 noon with just enuf time to grab a sandwich and start boarding our 12:30 flight. NOT a relaxing way to end the vacation.

This time flight booked out at 4 pm - no stress getting off the ship - heck I can even eat breakfast:D.... even considering a miami tour prior to transfer to airport. Yes we don't get home til 11 pm - but at least we won't be frazzled!

Froufie:)

We had flights home the same day as debarkation for the first four cruises without any problems. The fifth cruise we stayed overnight in Miami after debarkation. We wont be doing that again as all we wanted to do after getting off the ship was go home. Of course, that's my experience, not everyone's. We do fly in a day early now though, have been doing that since cruise #4. :)

The only time I stay overnight after a cruise is if it makes economic sense (the difference in airfare more than makes up for hotel/meals/etc.), or I have post cruise activities planned.

But I also wouldn't schedule a life changing event back home for the evening I am scheduled to return from a cruise. Real life stress returns soon enough - no need for me to accelerate it. :)

The only time I stay overnight after a cruise is if it makes economic sense (the difference in airfare more than makes up for hotel/meals/etc.), or I have post cruise activities planned.

But I also wouldn't schedule a life changing event back home for the evening I am scheduled to return from a cruise. Real life stress returns soon enough - no need for me to accelerate it. :)

I totally agree with you! :) I also wouldn't schedule a life changing event at a port of call. I saw a one post recently where someone was planning to get married in (I think) St Thomas during their cruise during Hurricane Season! How nuts is that? :eek:

I guess we are sort of lucky there. We are spending a night in Orlando as part of our honeymoon. We wanted to go to Pleasure Island and were definately not in a hurry to return home. We will still have the holiday (Labor Day) the day after we arrive home and FH and I are taking the rest of the week off from work. But that required us both to work continually since March of last year to save our vacation days. :)

We are concerned though about arriving in Orlando on time. We didn't book a flight the day before because we wanted to make sure the kids were ready to spend a week with my parents. Our flight lands in Orlando at 11:20am. Hopefully since the shuttle launch has been moved, it will all work out.

My flight home doesn't leave until 7:30PM...no worries, though. My sister that is coming along actually lives in JAX. We are going to go back to her house...hopefully get to see my teenage nephew (if he's off school by then & not at his dad's house) & unwind a bit.

I definitely don't want to be rushed after the vacation is over...before is not much of a problem for me, because I'm so 'siked' anyway ;)

I haven't been on a vacation yet that I wanted to get home. I can only hope that the boat is late with me on it

Well, for us, the cruise was over, we were off the ship and at that point I'd rather just be at home than killing time not being on the cruise. :)

Archived