Do Holland America Lower Prices

grayjoh

In January 2006 we booked a cruise on the Noordam for Nov. 06 and have noticed recently that the price of the cruise has been reduced by over GBP200 per person. We wrote to Holland America in July 2006 asking for the reduction to be applied to our booking and have received the following response:-

"Holland America Line is a USA company based in Seattle, Washington and we confirm that it is neither the policy of HAL or sister company Carnival Cruise Lines to apply late promotional fares onto existing bookings made at higher prices. Likewise we confirm that all guests, regardless of their nationality and country of booking oare offered the same service and policies."

The above comments would appear to be in complete contradiction to what we have read on this forum and we would appreciate any information you could let us have. We are not allowed to cancel and rebook as we would lose our deposit of approximately $1200. Again, we do not believe that this policy is applied to U.S. clients.

I booked the Noordam for November, 2006 and have taken advantage of two price reducations in that time period. Now, it is true that some of the promotions were for a very limited time period. As soon as the promotion time period was over, the price did go up, I noticed.

Interestingly, in my situation, my original booking number was canceled with the latest price drop and a new booking number was issued. But, I did not loose my desired stateroom (thankfully). My travel agent, as I write this, is working on getting an explanation for this oddity.

I don't understand why you would loose your deposit if you cancel. We are not yet at the final payment date--although it is quickly approaching. I would think you would be able to obtain a refund of your deposit as long as final payment has not been made. HAL's brochure states that a full refund is given as long as the request is made 76 days before one begins travel. Cancellation fees start at 75 days before one starts their trip.

Hope this will help you. Good luck.

I think the OP is from Britain, and unfortunately we are treated differently. Here in Australia, we too would lose our deposit if we cancelled a cruise. Getting a reduction if the price of a cruise goes down would be unheard of as well.

Even the nice little touches that American's get from their TA's ( bottle of wine) would never happen with an Australian TA.

This is curious that HAL or any other U.S. cruiseline might impose a different set of cancellation rules upon cruisers from outside the U.S. HAL's response, as quoted by the OP, only refers to the possibility of getting a better price. It says nothing about the OP's ability or lack thereof to outright cancel and then- pause- and book again at the lower rate.

I would really push hard on this one if it were my cruise.

I think the OP is from Britain, and unfortunately we are treated differently. Here in Australia, we too would lose our deposit if we cancelled a cruise. Getting a reduction if the price of a cruise goes down would be unheard of as well.

Even the nice little touches that American's get from their TA's ( bottle of wine) would never happen with an Australian TA.

That bottle of wine, flowers or any other gift has nothing to do with HAL - the TA chose to gift it to you! It's a nice way of saying 'thank you' - it comes out of you TAs pocket! Not all TAs do it but most do - the custom is common with Canadian TAs too

In January 2006 we booked a cruise on the Noordam for Nov. 06 and have noticed recently that the price of the cruise has been reduced by over GBP200 per person. We wrote to Holland America in July 2006 asking for the reduction to be applied to our booking and have received the following response:-

"Holland America Line is a USA company based in Seattle, Washington and we confirm that it is neither the policy of HAL or sister company Carnival Cruise Lines to apply late promotional fares onto existing bookings made at higher prices. Likewise we confirm that all guests, regardless of their nationality and country of booking oare offered the same service and policies."

The above comments would appear to be in complete contradiction to what we have read on this forum and we would appreciate any information you could let us have. We are not allowed to cancel and rebook as we would lose our deposit of approximately $1200. Again, we do not believe that this policy is applied to U.S. clients.

I don't know how the laws are different outside of the US, but because you only have a deposit, I was told by HAL that they should honor the lower price (if it's a current price drop I would contact HAL directly).

Unfortunately, we have paid in full (even though TA said that wouldn't cause a problem - it has), and since we've paid in full, we actually HAVE had to cancel and re-book to get any price drops. We recently had to do this and will be receiving $400. Although it's been a week and I have yet to see the money returned to my account.

I've learned that communication among the HAL agents is poor - to say the least. Good Luck!!

Although it's been a week and I have yet to see the money returned to my account.

I've learned that communication among the HAL agents is poor - to say the least. Good Luck!!

Hate to tell you this, took HAL six weeks to process an $80.00 refund of transfer charges after I cancelled them!

"Holland America Line is a USA company based in Seattle, Washington and we confirm that it is neither the policy of HAL or sister company Carnival Cruise Lines to apply late promotional fares onto existing bookings made at higher prices. Likewise we confirm that all guests, regardless of their nationality and country of booking are offered the same service and policies."

Who says you are not allowed to cancel and rebook? HAL and/or your TA?

Is your TA perhaps making 'a package'?, e.g. including air and perhaps a pre/post-cruise hotel overnights?

HAL is saying it like it is - to get the new 'promotional' fare you must make a new booking. HAL will return (or transfer) your full deposit to the new booking if cancellation of the ORIGINAL booking is made before 'balance payment' date. Be aware that you may not have the Deck or cabin you originally requested. The reduction in price is made because the ship is not fully booked!

Hope it all works out for you!

Who says you are not allowed to cancel and rebook? HAL and/or your TA?

Is your TA perhaps making 'a package'?, e.g. including air and perhaps a pre/post-cruise hotel overnights?

HAL is saying it like it is - to get the new 'promotional' fare you must make a new booking. HAL will return (or transfer) your full deposit to the new booking if cancellation of the ORIGINAL booking is made before 'balance payment' date. Be aware that you may not have the Deck or cabin you originally requested. The reduction in price is made because the ship is not fully booked!

Hope it all works out for you!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that in any other countries except the U.S. and Canada. There are rules for you and different rules for us.

That is the reason that I now book threw a U.S. agent because there is no margin for any changes, discounts, price decreases etc. through the Marketing Agent in our country and I daresay in G.B. Once you pay your deposit, the price is locked in at the exchange rate that the Marketing Company has set and nothing can change it.

It is a most unfair way to do business but as there are not enough of us to make a difference if we complain, then the Marketing Company can keep on doing what they like. :(

Jennie

It has been a long time since we have seen any of our cruises go down in price.

But when I did see a price reduction, we called our TA who in turn called HAL. And we did get the price reduction.

My Veendam cruise for next April has dropped in price several times. The TA handling this for myself and VeniceCruiser has gotten us the price reductions every time. We're hoping against hope that it drops a couple of more times before final payment. The reductions will help offset the QE2 return trip which, unfortunately, has not dropped in price nor is likely to. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Our Veendam trip in six weeks time has also gone down in price except for the verandahs and the S suites. Guess what we booked!!

Friends of ours though, have been lucky and received the discounts and drop in prices due to their booking in a lower catagory.

It does and can happen, just depending on the how popular the cruise is and whether it is filling up quickly.

Jennie

Aussie Gal

"It is a most unfair way to do business but as there are not enough of us to make a difference if we complain, then the Marketing Company can keep on doing what they like."

Your above statement is so true especially for us Australians. I, and a Queensland couple recently on NCL Dream's Baltic cruise both made a note of this on the cruise comment form.

Your Tahitian Princess 5 June 07 is the one we're looking at for next year!

Westaussie,

Why don't you come. We did the wonderful Tahitian Princess cruise around Tahiti and to the Cook Islands in 2004 and loved it so much we wanted to return but do something a little different. This cruise combines both and should be fantastic.

Jennie

Jennie

Seriously thinking about it! We were on NCL Wind Hawaiian cruise last year.

Have been to Hawaii several times using it as a stopover to the US. Your query in the roll call about hotels there: have stayed next door to the "Pink Palace" (Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach). They are right in the centre of the action with the International Market across the road. The Marriott is a few blocks down across the road from the beach but probably a little quieter there.

Lived in Melb many years ago in Kew. Eldest son did his PhD at Monash and lived in Lygon Street so we had a few trips there - best restaurants too. After three years in Wellington he's now in Brisbane.

Well, hope we confirm this cruise and join your roll call!

Vera

Our current booking was originally made in September 2005. It was 3200 per couple at that time. 2 or 3 sales later and a few promos tossed in, we are at 2100 per couple with free motorcoach service tossed in. To get to that point, we did have to cancel and re-book but that saved us a bunch of money (and we were able to keep everything in place). There was no fee because the booking was done through HAL and it was before the "Pay In Full" date in September. HAL credited our account for the difference as we were paid in full from the previous promo. My advice is watch the sales promos carefully, pick a TA that knows what they're doing and won't charge you anything if you have to cancel and re-book before the Pay Off date in order to take advantage of a sale (make sure you pick one that you can talk to). Link to sales promos: http://crm.hollandamerica.com/broadbaseema/HA3129/index.jsp

By the way, we still saved money and received promos which said "For New Bookings" from HAL WITHOUT having to cancel. The last sale that was ran, we didn't have a choice in order to get the savings. So you can get some promos (like the free motorcoach we got) without cancelling and re-booking.

I always book through the US sites and I get my flights independently. Also pre cruise hotels.

This saves us a fortune.

We are on Volendam in October for a 10 night Carribean. With flights into Miami with BA (not charter!). Hotel & 15 days Parking at Heathrow. And a hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

The total price for 2 is less than £1500.

A discount for the cruise was applied last week by the US TA that I use.

Also we get the perks that are offered to US customers. In this case 4 bottles of wine and a meal for 2 in the Pinnacle Grill + a 7x5 photo.

We get the quotes by email but I call the US TA from home and it only costs 2p per minute.

The US TA's are a different class. We have used them a couple of times and had no problems. Very friendly and helpful.

But best of all very cheap by comparison to the UK.

Not all companies let you book through the US. We did it with Princess once but they have stopped it now. Celebrity and RCI and HAL still do. Long may this last.

We love Princess but will never use them again unless they change their policy.

Good luck.

I agree with you MattOsprey. We book online with US TA's and because of Princess policy will not sail with them again although we enjoyed our Sapphire & Diamond cruises. Unfortunately the other lines will follow. Friends in Australia were told by one large online company that they could not book them on HAL because they didn't have a US address. When that happens to me I'll be looking for other vacations-there's still lots to do on planet earth. We've had 162 wonderful days on HAL.

Sandra

We are British and originally had the same problem with booking Princess through an Americn website, however they have since let us use a friend's address in USA without a problem - we just asked for all the documents to be emailed rather than posted (you fill in embarcation forms online anyway) and it worked perfectly.

With regard to a UK citizen not being able to use a US TA, Princess is different than HAL. Technically US Agents are not allowed to book a UK client on Princess. I know some US agents will but I won't. I don't want to take the chance of Princess finding out and then charging more to the passenger. If the client also has a US address that's real and valid, well then it's a bit of a judgement call. For example, if you tell me that you have a cousin in the US who can get your docs for you, I won't book it.

Only Princess and Costa have this set of rules. HAL does not as of today.

Archived