Help!! Should I wear new wedding rings?

cruzin virgin

Just wanted to ask this question. My husband has given me gorgeous new wedding set to celebrate 25th anniversary. We are booked on a Southern Caribbean cruise to celebrate. Aruba itinerary with Royal Caribbean. We are on the July 8 2007 sailing. I would dearly love to wear my new "bling" but have never cruised before. Would it be safe to take it with me? Just wondering what others do, don't think I want to buy the cubic zirconium replacement...your thoughts?

I, too, got a really gorgeous new solitaire and wedding bands. I always take it and my other 'good' jewelry on a cruise. I wear it proudly during sea days (if the activity is appropriate) and in the evening. I leave it in the room safe when on excursions, especially those concerning water.

My husband really went overboard on this wedding set (not complaining, mind you!) and I'm not comfortable taking it on shore in poorer ports or countries, both for safety reasons ( being lost or stolen) and morally, because it seems to flaunt the 'ugly American' idea just too much. We were in Kenya and Tanzania this winter and I didn't even take it along.

Thank you for your speedy reply. I didn't think of the room safe, I don't really know how the safe works. That makes sense to perhaps leave the "bling" behind when going ashore. I will feel happier if I can wear my new rings when we leave on this trip. So thank you for your help

I never take my diamonds, just a plain wedding band. And I don't bring expensive jewelry for formal nights, just great looking "fake" stuff - who cares anyway??? For that matter - who knows, anyway ??? The safes are easy to use, but I just don't want to trust something I treasure so much to get misplaced or lost in such a huge area as a cruise ship, or shore excursions - so far from home. gg

I always take my good jewelry on cruises---that's why God made insurance. I take my diamonds, my very good black Tahitian pearls and my opal (12 carats in the necklace alone) and diamond ring, earrings, bracelet and necklace. I don't wear any jewelry on shore, but on the ship, it's perfectly safe.

Please understand that I am not 'bragging', but I have quite a rock in my engagement ring...which is soldered to my wedding ring. I've worn this for over 40 years - has never been off my finger ! Other than cruises, I've travelled all over Europe, and to many islands on land vacations. It never occurred to me to remove my rings, and I've never had a problem.:)

You can also leave valuables in the safe at the purser's office, if you are concerned about the security of the in-cabin safe. I never do this, but it is an option. As someone else said, having good insurance is important!

I have insurance as well, and its not about not trusting the safes or purser's desk, its about me - "losing it" somewhere where I can never find it. Yes, it can be replaced, but I don't want to replace it - I want it - so it is just easier for me to leave my engagement ring and other nice jewelry home. As with so many things in our lives - its a matter of choice and preference. Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same way. :D gg

and loves to buy them for me, but I take one or two nice pieces with me and leave the rest at home. If it's your wedding/engagement set, I would wear it and not worry about it (mine never comes off my finger), but if it's something that you are likely to take off and on, then the choice is really up to you. You should to be comfortable and relaxed on a cruise, so whichever makes you feel that way the most is the one you should pursue.

Happy sails,

Charlie

P.S. if you do use the room safe, take some alcohol pads with you and wipe off the display after you've used it. some people have had things taken from their room safe because some unscrupulous sorts have figures out how to break into them by using the grease imprints from your fingers. Don't ask me how, think it's a CSI thing...

It's never been a problem for me as my 'rock' is a mere 0.25 carat (heh, it was big wayyyy back when).

However, if you leave it at home you always run the chance of a house break in and losing it then (with or without alarms it happens..ask me! The only reason I still have 'the rock' is because it was safely on my finger).

'Youse dams if you do, and dams if you don't'...wear them, be proud, enjoy and have good insurance.

ps Happy Anniversary

Just wanted to ask this question. My husband has given me gorgeous new wedding set to celebrate 25th anniversary. We are booked on a Southern Caribbean cruise to celebrate. Aruba itinerary with Royal Caribbean. We are on the July 8 2007 sailing. I would dearly love to wear my new "bling" but have never cruised before. Would it be safe to take it with me? Just wondering what others do, don't think I want to buy the cubic zirconium replacement...your thoughts?

I think your question may be one of a personal nature. Do you wear your expensive/sentimental jewelry on other vacations where you stay in BB/hotels? If you tend to remove/replace jewelry (as my DW does with earrings and necklaces) and you are concerned, maybe you should not take them. However if you wear them constantly (as my DW does her wedding set) I think it should not be a problem.

I take my jewelry with me. If I left something valuable at home, it would be left in a bank safe deposit box. I work at a bank and hear all kinds of stories. I knew someone that went on vacation and left their good jewelry (diamond rings, etc) at home. While they were on vacation their house was broken into and all that jewelry stolen. I tell all my friends and family to never leave those valuables at home unless their is someone staying in your house while you are gone.

Be careful if your ring is loose at all and you have it on while you are in the ocean. Last year DH took me on a Eastern Caribbean cruise for our 15 year wedding Annv. while he was walking into the water on the beach in Labadee his wedding ring fell off :( It was realy sad! So many nice people tried to help us find it but the waves kept crashing down. The only good thing that came out of this is I keep telling him now we have to go back to Labadee and you get to marry me all over again :p. We are going back this December ;)

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06 "Our First AFT"

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/26/05

S.S. Azure Seas Baja 11/90

Thanks for all your comments and advice. As a rule I keep my wedding/engagement rings on at all times...OK, I did take the original ones off when these beauties came along. I will get an extra rider on my insurance to cover the "biggun" I've decided they're coming with me. I appreciate all of your input about whether to leave them at home or wear them.

Archived