Royal Caribbean enforcing passports?

Okay for the people who want to know what the regulations are today (nobody knows what they will be tomorrow), here they are direct from the U.S. Passport website.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

• December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

So if the above reads correctly, then yes, the whole plan won't be fully enacted until January 2008. But you know what, if you are going on a cruise anytime in 2007, then as of now you will need a Passport to be able to return to the U.S. There is no change at this point on the deadline for when cruisers need passports.

Does that mean that the deadline might not get pushed back again? No. But does anybody really want to say that after what happened today, that our politicians are not going to take it as another excuse to put stricter restrictions on us - instead of less. Who knows?

Basically at this point if you are on a cruise on 12/31/06 or later, then you will need a U.S. Passport. Now those of you who think this will change can wait. I don't care. That's your perogative, but please don't complain here when it doesn't change and you either have to expedite your passport (and pay more money) or they decide to raise the fees for passports again before you get yours).

One point that MUST BE UNDERSTOOD.

If you are on a cruise or airline that returns to the US on or after 12/31/06 you MUST have a passport.

What this means if your cruise leaves on Christmas eve or after you are going to have to have a passport to get on the ship (assuming you are on a 7 day or longer)(Christmas eve is a Sunday this year).

I don't mind the hassle of getting a passport but what I think is very unfair is how much they cost. Our family has 6 members. It was almost $600. :eek: :eek: It seems if the government is requiring us to have them they should come up with a way to make them less exspensive. Families who are on a really tight budget and can't afford them will not be traveling I guess.

Is the cost of proving you are a US citizen when in a foreign country not worth that cost to you? Travel is a priviledge. If people want to complain about the relatively small cost of complying with the rules, especially in this day and age, moreso in light of this week's events, then maybe those people don't deserve the priviledge of international travel.

I'm currently on Explorer and both my wife and myself used birth certificates and they worked fine, as they did last year and 6 years ago. When they make passports mandatory or come up with some that don't expire, I will get one. For now, I see no reason to lay out $100 per person for something that I have no use for. If I need one next year, then I will get it next year, and I will get a full 10 years out of it starting then. My daughter has a valid passport, because she went to Israel earlier this year. For that we had no choice so we got one.

Is the cost of proving you are a US citizen when in a foreign country not worth that cost to you? Travel is a priviledge. If people want to complain about the relatively small cost of complying with the rules, especially in this day and age, moreso in light of this week's events, then maybe those people don't deserve the priviledge of international travel.

What I am having trouble with is the number of people who seem to think they are entitled to travel but not have complete documentation. - or who will spend thousands on a cruise but complain about a few hundred dollars for passports. It used to be that Canadians and Americans could cross the border on only birth certificates or drivers licenses - but every time I've entered the US in the last two years they've asked for my passport. Technically I don't need it yet but it's still being requested. My husband has to have a passport, retina scan and fingerprinting every single time. We've always had to have passports wherever we go, so for us it's a non-issue.

Fran in Toronto

My husband has to have a passport, retina scan and fingerprinting every single time.

Fran in Toronto

COOL! Where are they requiring you to do the Retina Scan? Also I love the idea of fingerprinting along with a passport. Retina scan, even better. Passports can be forged, someone else who looks similiar, etc. But a retina scan and fingerprinting would make it a lot more secure.

Also I have heard places requiring fingerprinting. Is the US going to require this? I'm all for it and would love to see it in place.

Geez, the OP asks a simple question and the thread spirals out of control, back and forth, over and over and over!!!:confused:

Will it ever end??

Oh, by the way Al, your parents need a new TA.:)

Have a great cruise, with or without your passport...

LL

Hold onto your hats, it's about to get bumpy. According to the US State Department's website, an extension of the December 31, 2006 deadline to January 8, 2007 has been proposed. This proposal is now in the public comment stage required by government rulemaking procedures, so it may be a while before the matter is finally settled. The extension has been proposed to avoid problems due to heavy holiday travel. If it holds and the new date is officially adopted, you will have an extra week to get your passport but at some point, you definitely will need one, so procrastinating is not really in your best interest.

To the poster who complained about the cost for six people, everything you buy for six is going to seem expensive, but when you realize that the adult passports are good for ten years, the cost is certainly reasonable. Compare it with what you pay for your driver's license over the same period of time and it probably works out to a similar amount, and a passport is a far more valuable identification document. If you can afford to take six people on a cruise, build an extra $600 into your budget for the cruise. Each time you cruise thereafter, the per cruise expense is that much less.

COOL! Where are they requiring you to do the Retina Scan? Also I love the idea of fingerprinting along with a passport. Retina scan, even better. Passports can be forged, someone else who looks similiar, etc. But a retina scan and fingerprinting would make it a lot more secure.

Also I have heard places requiring fingerprinting. Is the US going to require this? I'm all for it and would love to see it in place.

The US is already requiring it, depending on what country you're from. Some airports do the retina scan and fingerprint; everywhere the fingerprint is required. Canadians are currently exempt from this. When we went to Miami in April from Toronto, to get on the cruise, retina scan and fingerprint were required for DH as well as a passport with the bar code which can be swiped through the computer. Fingerprint was required in Hawaii too.

Fran in Toronto

To the poster who complained about the cost for six people, everything you buy for six is going to seem expensive, but when you realize that the adult passports are good for ten years, the cost is certainly reasonable. Compare it with what you pay for your driver's license over the same period of time and it probably works out to a similar amount, and a passport is a far more valuable identification document.

I know this is obviously not getting through to those of you don't agree with those of us who choose not to purchase passports for cruises that do not require them, but if the cruise line will allow us to sail without a passport, then buying one just because it's "good to have" is a waste of money. If the local DMV would allow me to drive with just my birth certificate as proof, then I'd be happy to use that as well instead of spending money on a drivers license. And of course I use my DL almost every day. If I'm lucky, I'll use my passport once a year, and I haven't needed to have one for several years now.

And it took me MAYBE 15 seconds longer to check in yesterday with a birth certificate as opposed to a pasport.

Doesn't this seem like a moote point now. If you intend to continue to sail you will require a passport by January 8, 2007 perhaps but most likely by December 31, 2006.

If you only sail once or twice a year will you quit sailing because you don't want to get a passport? I'm curious about that question for those who refuse to get a passport.

If you start applying now for those with larger families and do one or two a month you will have them all by the time you need them.

I have had a passport since I was a child. The cost these days (Canadian) is about $100 for 5 years. (That includes the photos). That's an overall cost of $20 per year. I don't consider that outlandish considering the amount of money I spend on vacations. It is barely a drop in the bucket.

If you look at what you spend for vacations per year most people will see the same thing.

There just is no reason for all the arguing and carrying on. If you intend to continue taking vacations outside of your own country (doesn't matter what country) get a passport. There really isn't any choice so why all the arguments?

Here's the info straight from the Passport website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

January 8, 2007 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I know this is obviously not getting through to those of you don't agree with those of us who choose not to purchase passports for cruises that do not require them, but if the cruise line will allow us to sail without a passport, then buying one just because it's "good to have" is a waste of money. If the local DMV would allow me to drive with just my birth certificate as proof, then I'd be happy to use that as well instead of spending money on a drivers license. And of course I use my DL almost every day. If I'm lucky, I'll use my passport once a year, and I haven't needed to have one for several years now.

And it took me MAYBE 15 seconds longer to check in yesterday with a birth certificate as opposed to a pasport.

In only a few months, the whole question will be moot and any US citizen who wants to travel out of the country will be required to have a passport.

In May I was told by RCI at check in that neither a passport or birth certificate is absolutely required. I bet things have changed in recent days. But I was told this after I told them how I had to drive the 2 hour round trip back home to get my passport when I accidentally forgot mine at home - bringing 2 for my daughter, her old one and her new one.

They said that US citizens can sign a waiver stating they are a citizen as long as they present their driver's license (photo ID). I was told that by 2 different agents. I thought it sounded too easy - not very secure.

Of course I was traveling with someone else's minor daughter on that trip. A girl who doesn't even live with parents but with her guardian. I had all the required notarized paperwork (or so I thought - I found the permission form had never been notarized after I got back - I didn't bother checking it myself) and no one ever asked for it.

And when I returned, I accidentally packed all of our passports in my luggage the night before so I didn't have any of it to go through customs getting off the ship. No problem. I showed my driver's license. My daughter showed her driver's license and the other girl only had a school ID. The customs agent asked her for her birthdate which was that very day and off we went.

The whole thing seemed very easy to me. I could have been smuggling anyone's kid out of the country - OK, the only place I could have left her was Nassau or Coco Cay but still.....

Doesn't this seem like a moote point now. If you intend to continue to sail you will require a passport by January 8, 2007 perhaps but most likely by December 31, 2006.

If you only sail once or twice a year will you quit sailing because you don't want to get a passport? I'm curious about that question for those who refuse to get a passport.

If you start applying now for those with larger families and do one or two a month you will have them all by the time you need them.

I have had a passport since I was a child. The cost these days (Canadian) is about $100 for 5 years. (That includes the photos). That's an overall cost of $20 per year. I don't consider that outlandish considering the amount of money I spend on vacations. It is barely a drop in the bucket.

If you look at what you spend for vacations per year most people will see the same thing.

There just is no reason for all the arguing and carrying on. If you intend to continue taking vacations outside of your own country (doesn't matter what country) get a passport. There really isn't any choice so why all the arguments?

Because as of this year YOU DON"T NEED ONE!

Hold onto your hats, it's about to get bumpy. According to the US State Department's website, an extension of the December 31, 2006 deadline to January 8, 2007 has been proposed. This proposal is now in the public comment stage required by government rulemaking procedures, so it may be a while before the matter is finally settled. The extension has been proposed to avoid problems due to heavy holiday travel. If it holds and the new date is officially adopted, you will have an extra week to get your passport but at some point, you definitely will need one, so procrastinating is not really in your best interest.

To the poster who complained about the cost for six people, everything you buy for six is going to seem expensive, but when you realize that the adult passports are good for ten years, the cost is certainly reasonable. Compare it with what you pay for your driver's license over the same period of time and it probably works out to a similar amount, and a passport is a far more valuable identification document. If you can afford to take six people on a cruise, build an extra $600 into your budget for the cruise. Each time you cruise thereafter, the per cruise expense is that much less.

:D I knew something like this would happen! Just when you thought the dust may settle :rolleyes: .

We had to get ours several years ago for a cruise that went to Fanning Island from Hawaii, many people were upset about it, but we just went along with it. We got ours probably 3 months before we needed them, to make sure there were no last minute glitches. Then, we got our kids their passports the following year, mainly because we cruise at least once a year and it just seemed easier to use passports rather than the BC every time. Plus, having a passport seems kind of cool, the kids have used it for other ID instances and people are impressed :) OK, I know that isn't a great reason to get them.

The problem with waiting may backfire on some people. If there is anything questionable in your past, if you owe any back child support and have been turned in by your ex. If you happen to have the same name as a criminal that is on the wanted list. If your birth certificate that you thought was legal isn't accepted by the passport issuing office. So many things can go wrong with the application, I just feel it is in the best interest of everyone to apply in advance.....well in advance of when you actually need the document. A lot of frustration, time and money can be saved in the long run.

Most people don't run into these problems, you just never know if you'll be the one. I know when we applied for our kids, my sons sailed through, we had to get a new BC for our daughter. The BC's for both kids had been issued at the same place (county office) but the certificate my daughter had was no longer being accepted, I really hadn't noticed any difference in the two documents before. It wasn't a huge delay, about 10 days to apply and receive the new BC, but if we had a time crunch, like many will have beginning, say this November, it could be a serious problem.

Why delay and why not accept the inevitable? I know that passports aren't going to close our borders to illegals. But, I do feel as it is a step in the right direction for some semblance of control who enters our borders.

Folks, it's not what the cruise lines are requiring. It's what the United States government is requiring.

You can leave the United States anytime you want. There are countries that don't require you to prove citizenship in order to visit.

But if you absolutely want to be sure you can get back IN the US, you want a passport. So while the cruise line or the airline may let you travel on a birth certificate, the people you really need to worry about are those from Immigration (or whatever they call themselves these days) who will make the decision as to where you go when you get off the ship.

We in the US have been spoiled - most of the rest of the world has required a passport for a very long time.

Ulltimately this is about the safety of all US citizens. In this day with heightened terrorism, a passport is the ultimate form of ID.

I believe that being able to travel on a United States passport is a true priviledge, and I am proud to carry one.

And if you dont go out of the US you wont NEED ONE THEN EITHER.

So your string of cruises will end this year? :confused: Most of the folks on here aren't quite that willing to forego travel outside the US.:rolleyes:

Archived