Review: MAJAHAUL (the little fishing village) "OnOurOwn"

OCruisers

Our family spent the day there last February. My husband and I went into the small village by cab and had a drink by the small beach. It is very quaint and intimate. Nothing fancy though. We shopped for souveniers here. Much cheaper here than back at Costa Maya. We bought Vanilla, and some interesting pottery. We headed back to Costa Maya and spent the afternoon on the loungers by the rocky area of the beach. There were lots of loungers, some hammocks, and they also have Palapas for those who want shade. We were served drinks and snacks in this area and the Margaritas were excellent! There were dance performances by the pool which were interesting. There also was music coming from the bar just behind the beach. I really like this port because it is very relaxing. There is a beach on the other side where you can rent snorkel equipment (cheap) or sit on the beach. Again, there are lots of loungers, and shaded areas if desired. The locals are friendly. It is so easy to get to and from the ship, so if you want to have lunch on board, it is not a big deal. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Costa Maya last week and I loved the port. The port area is very clean and lots to do there but that has already been covered.

We took a cab to Majuhul $3 pp going, $2 pp returning. Nice beach although a bit crowded with 3 ships in port. Hammocks and plenty of chairs to sit on. Beware of the man with the iguana though. He wants $3 for you to take a picture but doesn't tell you until after you taken the picture. We had wonderful massages on the beach. If you walk down the beach about 100 yards from the beginning the price drops to $20 for a 1/2 hour message. It was wonderfully relaxing and well worth the money. We also arranged for horseback riding back at the pier. It was $25 pp and lasted about one hour. We walked for a while along a road beside the beach and then returned along the beach. We found the beach area where all the chairs were to be extremely clean but down further where we rode the beach was littered with cans, bottles and other trash. The horses did not have a lot of energy and we felt very bad for them as they has no water at their "stable". We did ride in sandels and shorts though.

All in all I would gladly return to this port.

NitrogenAddict,

Its been awhile since you've heard from me, but last year my wife and son looked for you. I couldn't make the trip because I was deployed just before the cruise. Unfortunately, they missed you because you were out on a dive. We are coming back in August (our fourth trip). This time my son is being deployed to Iraq and we want to spend some time with him before he leaves in September. We decided this would be a special way to send him off. I want his day in Majahual to be special. We may dive while there, but may just rent some horses and then sit on the beach for a few beers. Hope we get to see you this time. Still thinking of buying a little property and retiring there!

Hope you can join us for a beer. We look forward to meeting you and returning to your little bit of Paradise!

Captain Ronn

OCruiser> thanks so much for your review. My family and I are going on the Grandeur of the Seas on January 7, 2006 and we had been looking at going to Mahahual just to spend the day on the beach. Do you know if we can rent waverunners there? And, if so, do you know how much they are?

My family (two teenage girls, husband, myself) felt that this was our best day. We took a taxi into town and then walked until we found and inviting peace of beach front property. We got drinks and sat in waist deep warm, clear water watching birds, clouds and the wind play on the waves out at the reef. Then the three ladies got a massage on the beach, 3 tables side by side under the shade of a tree. The BEST 30 minutes I had spent in a long time. We shopped at tables set up on the street (locals who are eager to change prices to sell something). Back at the pier there was more shopping in stores, a pool, loud music, bars and hammocks on the beach! This is now our "HAPPY PLACE" that we will mentally visit when the stress of life encroaches:p

OCruiser> thanks so much for your review. My family and I are going on the Grandeur of the Seas on January 7, 2006 and we had been looking at going to Mahahual just to spend the day on the beach. Do you know if we can rent waverunners there? And, if so, do you know how much they are?

We saw people on waverunners so know you can rent them BUT don't know the cost. Maybe someone else knows and will answer .........

Happy Sailing! OCruisers

have no personal experience with them, but found this when I was researching for our upcoming visit:

http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Mahajual_Waterpark.html

• 1 month later...

You mention that right off the boat were two beaches to the left and right and the swim up pool bar. Does it cost to go to these? If so, how much? Are they owned by the cruise lines or are the beaches public? Do you think it was better to take a taxi to Majahaul or rent a golf cart?:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
You mention that right off the boat were two beaches to the left and right and the swim up pool bar. Does it cost to go to these? If so, how much? Are they owned by the cruise lines or are the beaches public? Do you think it was better to take a taxi to Majahaul or rent a golf cart?:rolleyes:

The beaches "right off the boat" (no taxi needed) at the cruise dock as well as the chairs and the pool are all free. You pay for any drinks and food you order. Also, there was live music(band) and a show at n/c. It was built for cruise ship passengers to enjoy.

We took a taxi to Majahaul rather than renting a golf cart because we just wanted to go to the beach/bar there and didn't care about driving around. Nothing is "wrong" with the area around the cruise dock ... but, we wanted to go to a real Mexican village. Majahaul was a little fishing village LONG before cruise ships began stopping close by. It was a wonderful day!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

The golf carts run about $15/hour. The bus (nice bus) is $3 a person and the taxi back is $2 a person. Its a 10 minute ride on the bus and I think the golf cart would take you about 30 because you have to drive out to a highway and then back to get to Mahahual.

When you get to Mahahual walk to the end of the street!!! I wish I had known this. We stopped at the place just before Tapas and thought we were at Tapas. It was okay, but very crowded and noisy. Later on we strolled down the street to "shop", you can get great deals in Mahahual, and we found that the places at the end of the street are cleaner and less crowded.

We found that the people selling wares would bargain down to a third at least of what they'd charge in the area right off the pier. So, unless you're into tanzanite, shop in Mahahual.

• 2 months later...

I had conch seviche at the cafe with green chairs. It was $10 or so for a huge platter and the two of us could barely finish it. if you want fish they'll actually bring you the whole fish on request to inspect it before they clean, filet and cook it (there was a Spanish speaking couple at the table next to us who did this as they were very seafood savvy).

Just a tip for those who enjoy walking - the beach trail from the Costa Maya pier to the village of Majahual is only 3/4 mile in length. Pleasant walk and only 15 minutes or so at a leisurely pace. Just head to the left (south) when you get off the ship and find a trail right at the edge of the beach - takes you straight there.

• 2 months later...
OCruisers - are you talking about the food aloong the beach in general or at a specific place?

We will be there this coming Saturday.

We actually ordered from that beach bar directly beside Tapus ... but we also had Tapus food because everyone was sharing platters (very big) with others we met. Don't worry about the water of ice either! We got there early to actually see the Ice Trucks stopping by the bars.

Will be thinking of you and wishing we we with you! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

OCruiser - I think we stopped at the same place you did, with the green chairs. It was called La Mexicana and served fantastic daiquiris and the best salsa we've ever had. I couldn't agree more with the comments you made when this thread started! It was one of the best days of our cruise when we were there, just hanging out and visiting with others from our ships as they wandered by.

O...we have simply got to get together on a cruise someday! I haven't read this whole thread yet but did read your introduction. I just today booked the Century for March 19 and got a great rate; goes to Costa maya which is why I am here.:D

Anyway I always enjoy your informative posts and look forward to quite an adventure on Costa Maya.

Y'all come go with us!:D

In Costa Maya~(Fri- Dec 16, 2005)....we haven't decided what to do...I have never been here before and would really like suggestions...all the boards keep talking about a place named Mahahual (fishing village) ...Also I found out there is a little private resort around 4 miles south of the fishing village called Balamku...which is owned by a couple of Canadians...Do they host groups to their private Beach and resteraunt for the day????Has anyone been here???...I emailed them but have not heard from them at all???....but they run their whole "bio friendly" inn by solar power... so maybe they don't check their email very often....or don't have access to a computer daily?

Also...There is a beach that the "Uni-MOGS" 4 wheel to that is supposed to be beautiful & more private than the one in Majahaul....What is the name of that beach and can we get there some other way????....and spend the day there?

Also I have one couple in our group that wants to see the ruins instead of going to a beach that day...WHICH ruins are the best at this port?

Is there good snorkeling anywhere??? Coral and fish not far from any beach in Costa Maya??? How much money should we bring here???~Help!

Thanks,

AMY

I found another forum yesterday while I was looking up information on Costa Maya, since Victory will be going there now as well. (12/18/05). I asked about the cheap taxi fare to Mahahual's beach and someone there said they doubt that we can go for less than $20. Other things I've read seem to indicate that not only could we go for basically a few dollars each, it was also possible to walk via a trail along the beach at the port. After reading some things, I've almost decided to forego the excursion Beach Break and have our family go on our own and order from the menu at one of the restaurants for lunch. The beach break is $30 pp, not including lunch, although it does include an open bar. For 2 teens, myself (a basic non-drinker) and my wonderful husband, $120 seems pretty steep to go to a beach, have a few drinks and pay for lunch on top of that. So, which way are we better off?

Archived