Radio

"LIVE" from the Explorer 8-11-06 Cape Liberty

Hello everyone.... I made it on board. The weather is beautiful...Sunny and warm, about 82f. Lady Liberty stands out like a beacon.

Join me for 9 nights on the Explorer of the Seas. I will try to provide daily pics and comments about the cruise. We depart for St Thomas at 5PM.

My daily comments and pics will be limited to my connection.

This will be a week of relaxation for me...No Excursions...Just relaxing. I will visit every port, but I am not planning any activities. We will just wait and see what happens.

The CD this week is Ashley Kerr, and the Captain is Ole Joran Gronhaug. My DD and her 2 friends were just on the same cruise in June, and she loved the ports.

Here are a few pics while coming aboard....Just click below to see all of the pics as they are posted to my Criuise Photo Page...

I will try to load a few more tonight.

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

Pre Cruise at the Marriott Courtyard near EWR

pebkac.jpg

First Sight of Explorer

pebkac.jpg

pebkac.jpg

My D1 Cabin on Deck 8...Sorry, no new Bedding Yet

pebkac.jpg

Pool Deck and Viking Crown Lounge

pebkac.jpg

Radio,

I read your live posts (and others) all the time. I didn't remember you were going on the Explorer! I'll be on the next 9 night cruise (Aug. 25th). I can't wait to hear about your trip. I'll be waving to you tonight as I head home from work (via the SI Ferry). Have a great trip!

I sailed on the explorer on July 14th....Cant wait to read all your posts. Have a wonderful time--im sooo jealous !!!!

I sailed on the explorer on July 14th....Cant wait to read all your posts. Have a wonderful time--im sooo jealous !!!!

It looks really quiet, I don't see many other people boarding, pool etc. What time did you board?

We leave on 8/25. If anyone on deck 10 says they have new bedding please let us know.

Thanks

Lori

Radio, it's so nice of you to share your experiences with us. I've enjoyed your review and pics and am looking forward to more. I was wondering....where exactly is the Marriott Courtyard and was it nice? Any complaints? Did they have a shuttle from the airport and also to the pier? Thank you!!

Radio, it's so nice of you to share your experiences with us. I've enjoyed your review and pics and am looking forward to more. I was wondering....where exactly is the Marriott Courtyard and was it nice? Any complaints? Did they have a shuttle from the airport and also to the pier? Thank you!!

I boarded at 11:30 AM...there were few people on board at that time.....The cabins on my floor were ready too, though many were not. The hotel is on Wilcher Realty Blvd, and was very nice. It is next to the Marriott Residence INN and very close to EWR. I was told that the cast is $40 for a cab. The hotel does not offer free or pay shuttle to the pier.

The Muster drill is very soon ! !

Radio

;) ;)

Radio,

I read your live posts (and others) all the time. I didn't remember you were going on the Explorer! I'll be on the next 9 night cruise (Aug. 25th). I can't wait to hear about your trip. I'll be waving to you tonight as I head home from work (via the SI Ferry). Have a great trip!

I just booked this cruise 3 weeks ago, and didn't decide to do a "Live" report until today ! ! I will look for the Ferry ! !

Radio

;) ;)

No wonder, I usually keep up with your trips! Have a great time and tell us all about it. I'll be passing by you at approx. 5:15, hopefully you'll be getting ready to sail by then. What a great cool, clear evening to go out!

Radio - great to hear from you again!

So glad you decided to do another live report - I will wait for each of them and especially the pictures!

Have a great cruise and thanks for taking the time to keep us informed! :)

That's exactly how the ship looked when we left it this morning.

Can you believe we BACKED in there from NY harbor???!!!!! The whole way!!!!! :eek:

Hi Radio, I so enjoyed your Bermuda cruise reports that I took that cruise after you and now we will be sailing on the Explorer in October. Will await your truly wonderful reports.

Hi Radio! I also followed your Bermuda cruise "live" report and will be reading this one as well!

I sailed on the Freedom from Bayonne in May and it was way cool going under the Verizanno (sp?) Bridge. It looked close enough to touch! :D

Thanks again for taking time out of your vacation to report to us!

Enjoy your cruise!

Hey Radio....We will be on the same cruise on September 8th. I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoy your live posts along with the pictures. You take the best shots , we all feel like we are right there with you. Keep up the good work....Can you tell me how the security was getting on. Any different than usual? Not sure if you stashed any beverages along with you . Looking forward to your posts!!! Thanks Laura

That's exactly how the ship looked when we left it this morning.

Can you believe we BACKED in there from NY harbor???!!!!! The whole way!!!!! :eek:

Wow Pete...I hoped you liked Bermuda...I plan to go there again in the fall...

The muster drill is over and we should be leaving in about 10-15 min....time to up to Deck 12...

Radio

;) ;)

It was grand, including the weather.

Enjoy the entertainment. They are good shows.

Your only loss is that Allan Richards (our cruise director, a very good one at that), left the ship this morning for vacation.

Enjoy your 9 days. It was hard getting off!

Radio ~ always look forward to your Live posts from the ships... I will follow this one especially since we are already booked for April 2008 on Explorer 9 day.... have fun!

Radio ~ always look forward to your Live posts from the ships... I will follow this one especially since we are already booked for April 2008 on Explorer 9 day.... have fun!

Emmy .... we are thinking of booking the same April 25th cruise. We loved the ports and figure it would be a great first cruise for our girls. I see you already have some major chatter going on in the roll calls that's great. I will join in as soon as we book.

Emmy .... we are thinking of booking the same April 25th cruise. We loved the ports and figure it would be a great first cruise for our girls. I see you already have some major chatter going on in the roll calls that's great. I will join in as soon as we book.

Come and join us whenever you are ready.... sooner the better:D... I have always wanted to sail out of the New York area...

I love the Voyager class ships

Radio, too bad you won't have Allen Brooks as your CD.:( We had him on Voyager last year, he was great. If you are able, could you find out if he will be back before the Oct. 6th sailing?

We were on Explorer for our first cruise 2yrs ago. Is she still in good shape?

Looking foward to your reviews. They will help keep me sane until I set sail. Oct. can't come soon enough for me.

Frank

Hello...We left a 5PM exactly from Cape Liberty Cruise Port. The weather is perfect today...it is very clear, bright and warm. I think I will get another digital camera with a powerful zoom. I will be able to get better far away shots.

Here are a few more pics before I loose my signal. I am currently sending these with my mobile office kit. (Cellphone Broadband as a modem for my laptop). I will take lots of pics and hopefully post them before St Thomas.

Thanks for all of the nice comments, and thanks for tuning in...

Radio

Leaving Cape Liberty

pebkac.jpg

Lady Liberty

pebkac.jpg

Staten Island Ferries

pebkac.jpg

Walking up to the Helipad

pebkac.jpg

Verezzano Narrows Bridge... Traffic was Heavy on that bridge <g>

pebkac.jpg

One more person here who will be reading faithfully...booked on the Oct 20th 9 day.....

Thanks for the great pics and your always excellent reports!

My husband and I were on the ferry going towards Staten Island as you were pulling out (5:15ish). Wish I could have jumped onboard, we were so close. I'll have to wait 2 weeks though. It was a perfect night to sail away! Such great pictures Radio and so fast, thanks so much. Can't wait to hear more!

Hi

You mentioned you were on deck 8 and there is no new bedding yet.

Do you know if it has been started yet? Can you please give us an update as to which decks if any have been completed?

What a great evening to sail away - enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the posts and pictures!

Hi Radio.....thanks for letting us cruise along. I love following all your cruises, it's as if we were right there with you. This one comes just in time as we are both feeling like we need a cruise. So this is the next best thing. ;)

Have a wonderful cruise and tell Mrs Radio thanks for letting us tag along! :D

Hi again Radio!

I have read ALL of your "Live from" posts and found them great!

We will be on the Explorer 9 day on September 22nd, so I will be anxiously awaiting your posts.

We will be a family of four going, my husband, my sister and her husband. We drive down the day before from Ontario and stay at a hotel. The last cruise was last year on the Voyager from Cape Liberty, I must confess that we got a bit lost going from the hotel to the pier. I showed my husband your pic of the turnoff to the pier picture that was in your gallery, so hopefully that WILL help him;) . Nothing worse than being from another country and driving around and around when you just KNOW your cruise ship is waiting for you!

Thanks Radio for posting, we ALL will enjoy reading your posts and seeing the gorgeous pictures you take. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!:D

Take care

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Radio, get off my ship.....

Mr. pete, I hope you took care of my ship......

That courtyard is really great......it is at exit 13A....Glimcher Realty Way actually....and the cab is exactly 40 bucks plus tip.......it is great cruising out of cape liberty...and lady liberty is gorgeous.

i dont remember backing up all the way, but i guess we did...we were at breakfast.

have a great time....looking forward to more reports.......

hello radio,

my friend erik and his wife lori on on your cruise also. if you see a guy about 6'3 with brown hair and his wife is like 5'5 with blac k hair..tell them tom says hi....

Thanks

NJTOM

Comet Cruisier - Will wave to you as you depart and we board!

Radio - Can't wait to hear the rest of your report. Love the pics!!!

Mr Pete - Did you post a report? Want to know everything about the Bermuda cruise. Got any Compasses? Pretty please!

How neat Radio.

I love it when people take time out of THEIR vacation to share their experiences with us land locked folks.

Have a great trip Radio, and I will look for your posts and pictures throughout the week!

Radio thanks for the posts. I look foward to each one as I leave on the Explorer Aug 20 to Bermuda!!!!!!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!

.....your live reports are really cool! Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to let us all know what's going on. I am very excited to be going on my first RCI cruise on the Explorer in April 07 with my boyfriend, from everything I have read about her I think we've made the right choice. Your pictures are great too, thanks for sharing!

Radio

Thank you much for the report. And takeing time to tell all of us.

I to will be go on 8/25/06 for 9 days looking to see if any new beeding was installed as of yet. they were to start on 8/11/06?

You found the best place to stay and the shortes ride to the ship. I live here in Bayonne if you need any help with any thing please let me know.

If any one is on 8/25/06 cruise going fishing (Bubba bottom fishing)?

Will to all have a great cruise My wife and I with my dauther will be on the 10th deck. hope to see you at meet and migle meeting.

Radio

Thank you much for the report. And takeing time to tell all of us.

I to will be go on 8/25/06 for 9 days looking to see if any new beeding was installed as of yet. they were to start on 8/11/06?

You found the best place to stay and the shortes ride to the ship. I live here in Bayonne if you need any help with any thing please let me know.

If any one is on 8/25/06 cruise going fishing (Bubba bottom fishing)?

Will to all have a great cruise My wife and I with my dauther will be on the 10th deck. hope to see you at meet and migle meeting.

i saw new bedding being installed on some inside cabins on deck 9 and 10.

Thanks for the nice comments...

Radio

;)